Jason Peters sitting out (so far)

Sperm Edwards

Another one sitting out on a 5-year deal he signed less than 2 years ago. He took that deal when he didn't have one 16-game season under his belt. Doubtful he would have voluntarily given any back if he went back to starting 2/3 of the games at right tackle.

They should probably give him a modest bump, but it would be stupid to give him an enormous deal. That would negate the foresight of locking up a high-potential player long term. What's the point if they're just going to sit out & you're going to reward them for doing so? Might as well only give them a 3 year deal if that's the way the team is going to cave in.

We'll see how they play this out. He's clearly better than $3M/yr the way some NFL players are getting paid.

http://www.buffalonews.com/sports/billsnfl/story/352690.html

Bills’ most talented member of offensive line lags behind Dockery and Walker in salary

All-Pro Peters angling for a raise

By Mark Gaughan - News Sports Reporter

Updated: 05/22/08 9:12 AM

Buffalo Bills left tackle Jason Peters hopes to capitalize on his Pro Bowl season by getting a pay raise from the team.

Peters’ absence from the team’s voluntary spring practices this week is at least partly attributable to the fact he would like a new contract, team and league sources report.

Neither Peters nor his agent were available for comment.

Peters still has three years remaining on a contract he signed in 2006.

The total value of his current deal, if he were to hit all incentives, is about $4 million a year. That makes Peters the third-highest paid lineman on the Bills. Left guard Derrick Dockery signed a contract last year that is worth $7 million a year. Right tackle Langston Walker signed a deal last year worth $5 million a year.

A 6-foot-4, 340-pounder, Peters is the most talented lineman on the team. In addition to making his first Pro Bowl last season, he was a second-team All-Pro pick by the Associated Press and a first-team All-Pro pick by Sports Illustrated.

The Bills were proactive in signing Peters to a long-term deal in June 2006. He had made just 10 starts in 2005 and still was playing right tackle. Peters negotiated a $1 million-a-year escalator into the contract if he met playing- time requirements at left tackle. Peters, in fact, shifted to the left side, protecting the quarterback’s blind side, just eight games into the 2006 season.

Peters has quickly outperformed that deal, and the market value for top offensive linemen has skyrocketed the past two offseasons.

Peters is scheduled to make $3.3 million this year. That includes a $100,000 escalator he hit for making the Pro Bowl last season.

While it’s unusual for the Bills to renegotiate a deal that still has three years remaining, the practice has occurred a bit more often in recent years in the NFL. The Bills did it just before last season with defensive end Aaron Schobel, who stayed away from some of last year’s voluntary workouts.

Peters is not required to be at the organized team activity workouts this week, although attendance is strongly encouraged by the team. The Bills’ voluntary sessions continue the next several weeks. Three days of mandatory practices start June 11.

There is little doubt Peters will want to become the Bills’ highest-paid lineman and one of the top-paid linemen in the league. The New York Jets in March signed guard Alan Faneca to the richest free-agent deal for a linemen — at an average of $8 million a year. The top-paid veteran left tackle in the NFL is St. Louis’ Orlando Pace, at $7.55 million. Seattle’s Walter Jones is at $7.5 million a year. Both of those deals, however, were signed in 2005.

Tennessee just last month signed its top young left tackle, Michael Roos, to a six-year, $43 million deal, averaging $7.1 million a year.

The Bills have plenty of room under the salary cap to extend contracts. They already have begun talks with Lee Evans. The Bills are roughly $15 million under the leaguewide cap of $116 million per team. However, the Bills have another $12 million of space above that from cap credits they earned that carried over from last season.

•••

The Bills held another workout Wednesday and conclude their first week of practices today. There were 79 of 82 players on the field. Besides Peters, the only players not in attendance were J. P. Losman and Lee Evans, both of whom had been on the field earlier this week.

How many Jets could it be really? Everyone is under a rookie contract, an older bigger deal, signed a new/newer lucrative deal, is paid appropriately, is overpaid to begin with, or sucks outright so there aren't too many players here with much to gripe about.

I mean who here is both (truly) underpaid and also has a leg to stand on in a potential holdout? Maybe Abram Elam if he starts the whole season. Even Moore has a $5M RB coming to him in 2009 so he doesn't want to rock the boat too much at this point.

How many Jets could it be really? Everyone is under a rookie contract, an older bigger deal, signed a new/newer lucrative deal, is paid appropriately, is overpaid to begin with, or sucks outright so there aren't too many players here with much to gripe about.

I mean who here is both (truly) underpaid and also has a leg to stand on in a potential holdout? Maybe Abram Elam if he starts the whole season. Even Moore has a $5M RB coming to him in 2009 so he doesn't want to rock the boat too much at this point.

You are right SE, I think we already saw everybody who had a case, make theirs already.

I truly believe the NFL is in for a major fall in the next few years over all this greed. Right now both the owners and the players are holding a gun to the head of the Golden Goose,

I think the fall is going to start when the next TV contracts are due. Right now the TV networks are losing money on the NFL for the prestige of televising the games. I don't think they are going to cough it up again.

The fans have about had it. Honestly, how many of you are going to have to surrender your season tickets when the $5,000-$15,000 PSL's are due?

There will be about 5 years of chaos and labor struggles, infighting among the owners over greed, then who knows what.

I truly believe the NFL is in for a major fall in the next few years over all this greed. Right now both the owners and the players are holding a gun to the head of the Golden Goose,

I think the fall is going to start when the next TV contracts are due. Right now the TV networks are losing money on the NFL for the prestige of televising the games. I don't think they are going to cough it up again.

The fans have about had it. Honestly, how many of you are going to have to surrender your season tickets when the $5,000-$15,000 PSL's are due?

There will be about 5 years of chaos and labor struggles, infighting among the owners over greed, then who knows what.

It is too bad, and this business is just like any other. All of them are subject to the business cycle with its up's and down's. The greed is really quite sickening. Looking at the Baker situation, there is no way that guy put in as much work as countless other professionals had to to achieve that kind of money per year.

It's the sense of entitlement that really bothers me.

Archived