Titans QB Vince Young Considered Retirement After '06

Irish Jet

When you have no supporting cast around you, you can't succeed, unless your name is Tom Brady of course.

Uh, no.

The ONLY reason Young has "succeeded" is BECAUSE of his supporting cast.

You really think they made the playoffs based on Superman throwing almost twice as many picks as TDs? No, they made it because their offensive line is fantastic and their front seven is excellent. Oh, and and their kicker has balls of steel.

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Uh, no.

The ONLY reason Young has "succeeded" is BECAUSE of his supporting cast.

You really think they made the playoffs based on Superman throwing almost twice as many picks as TDs? No, they made it because their offensive line is fantastic and their front seven is excellent. Oh, and and their kicker has balls of steel.

I wish I can say the same about Nugent. (I hope 124 reads that)

Anyways, if they got to the playoffs with a good defense and a good offensive line, just imagine what they can do with a steller WR or an above average WR.

It's a fact, the Titans have done absolutely nothing to help Vince Young on offense.

I wish I can say the same about Nugent. (I hope 124 reads that)

Anyways, if they got to the playoffs with a good defense and a good offensive line, just imagine what they can do with a steller WR or an above average WR.

It's a fact, the Titans have done absolutely nothing to help Vince Young on offense.

I think it's a waste to try and bring in "stellar" WRs, because as long as Vince is the QB, they won't be stellar.

People said the same thing about Michael Vick. Turns out, his receivers were not the problem.

The Titans have a very good running game, so to say he has nothing on offense isn't completely true by any means. Brady, Hasselbeck, Grossman, Brad Johnson and everyone's favorite example...Trent Dilfer(just to name some of the recent ones) have all at least made Super Bowls with no great WR's. Some had a great (or the best ever, possibly) D to back them up, like Johnson, Dilfer, and Grossman. Some had great running games, like Hasselbeck. And some got there because of stellar QB play, great coaching, and/or good electronics ;)

Bottom line is, if Vince Young is as good as he's supposed to be, he can definately be "successful"

absolutely. Young winning it was a joke. 1)McNeill 2)Colston

That Titans team started out 0-5 before Young took over as a rookie quarterback and almost got them to the playoffs. I agree McNeil should have won Rookie of the Year but Young was at least a close second.

I never shut up about Vince Young and you know damn good and well that "his" Rookie of the Year award was one of the biggest jokes in league history. Maurice Jones-Drew got ****ed so hard, it would have made your namesake proud.

9 TDs, 17 picks last season. At least he has that ROTY award, though, right?

Hey, write me when Brodie Croyle finally wins an NFL game with Dwayne Bowe, Tony Gonzalez and Larry Johnson.

I'll let you know when Vince Young makes the playoffs again.

Hey, write me when Brodie Croyle finally wins an NFL game with Dwayne Bowe, Tony Gonzalez and Larry Johnson.

I'll let you know when Vince Young makes the playoffs again.

Write me when Brodie Croyle gets a top five offensive line and a top ten defense.

Then he can ride on their coat-tails and get 100% credit when they somehow make the playoffs despite his historically ****ty quarterbacking.

That Titans team started out 0-5 before Young took over as a rookie quarterback and almost got them to the playoffs. I agree McNeil should have won Rookie of the Year but Young was at least a close second.

He was fine for a rookie, and granted he has had mostly crap at receiver, but that's a bit revisionist history right there.

He was fine for a rookie, and granted he has had mostly crap at receiver, but that's a bit revisionist history right there.

How is it revisionist history when that's exactly what happened? This amazing supporting cast that VY supposedly has was 0-5 before he took over as the full-time QB.

How is it revisionist history when that's exactly what happened? This amazing supporting cast that VY supposedly has was 0-5 before he took over as the full-time QB.

1) They were not 0-5 when Kerry Collins got benched.

2) He sucked in a few of their wins if I recall. I can look it up but I remember at least 2 of them like the Philly game. He did nothing.

that's only if you think a QB "wins" games. A team wins games. Young didn't even play that well. Their turnaround was mostly due to the defense.

that's only if you think a QB "wins" games. A team wins games. Young didn't even play that well. Their turnaround was mostly due to the defense.

You mean like when they beat Philly 31-13 with Vince Young going 8-of-22 for 101 yards?

Or the Giants game where it was over but for Kiwanuka being paranoid of getting another bs roughing-the-passer penalty & not wrapping him up on 4th & 15 - or whatever it was - late in the game (Ten won by a FG in OT).

Perhaps it was Vince Young "leading them to victory" that sealed the Titans' win over Jacksonville. Young was 8-of-15 for 85 yards and no touchdowns. The Titans' defense & special teams scored 3 TD's and gave the offense FG position to start another drive (and they only ended up with that FG). So the defense/special teams was responsible for 24 points and the offense for zero points. But ok, Vince Young was the reason they won 24-17. Sure.

And it was Young's 2 interceptions in the Colts' endzone that led to a win with the Titans scoring 20 pts vs Indy. Not that the defense held the powerhouse Colts to 17 pts (3 pts in the entire 2nd half) while picking Manning off twice. Tennessee had 3 of the 9 Peyton Manning interceptions on the season. That was all Vince Young though.

I'm sure it was Young's 0 TD's and 1 INT through 4 quarters that even got Tennessee into overtime. Travis Henry's 2 second-half TD's and the 130 yards he & Chris Brown contributed were immaterial. Then again, with 2 timeouts and 2:09 to play with the game tied, taking over on the 40 yard line isn't good enough of a starting spot to get them into FG position. It was a great ending to the game, but he had a clear lane to the endzone & it's not like he was really an asset to his team. A decent QB would have put them in position to win the game in regulation.

There was also the first Texans game where Houston just didn't have an answer for Vince Young's 87 passing yards. Once again, the Titans scoring multiple touchdowns on interception returns and punt returns weren't at all the reason for victory. It was the 14 points that the offense scored that was truly responsible for the victory.

There is no way anyone can convince me that he had a better rookie season than Marcus McNeil, Maurice Jones-Drew, Marques Colston, Joseph Addai, and Devin Hester. I'm not even including Mark Anderson & DeMeco Ryans though they were great, not good, for rookies.

Write me when Brodie Croyle gets a top five offensive line and a top ten defense.

Then he can ride on their coat-tails and get 100% credit when they somehow make the playoffs despite his historically ****ty quarterbacking.

Croyle sucks dude.

Actually it had more to do with Pacman Jones than Vince Young.

Vince Young will never amount to anything, I've been on this side since day one. I said the same thing about Vick when he came out, surprise, I was right.

QB's who rely on their legs first don't succeed in the NFL...fact. Or in the words of the immortal Kobe -realtalk-

Actually it had more to do with Pacman Jones than Vince Young.

Vince Young will never amount to anything, I've been on this side since day one. I said the same thing about Vick when he came out, surprise, I was right.

QB's who rely on their legs first don't succeed in the NFL...fact. Or in the words of the immortal Kobe -realtalk-

Yep. Can't aruge with anything in this post. Vince Young is Michael Vick with a few extra lbs packed on. Thats all he is. They'll put butts in the seats and excite the younger fans who listen to ESPN's hype of over-rated players, but other than that they'll really never amount to anything.

Croyle sucks dude.

Amazing how all the amazing QB evaluators in this site who are joining the bash Vince Young circle jerk were the same people jizzing all over Croyle before the same draft. Now ofcourse they all have disowned Croyle and act like they never wanted the Jets to draft him and make him our future QB.

Vince Young's record as an NFL starter is 18-11 with Bo Scaife and Roydell Williams.

Brodie Croyle can't even win a single game with the best Tight End in the game, the best rookie wide receiver and a top 5 running back to hand off to.

Truth is, Young has already amounted to more than any of the bashers on this site ever said he would.

Amazing how all the amazing QB evaluators in this site who are joining the bash Vince Young circle jerk were the same people jizzing all over Croyle before the same draft. Now ofcourse they all have disowned Croyle and act like they never wanted the Jets to draft him and make him our future QB.

Vince Young's record as an NFL starter is 18-11 with Bo Scaife and Roydell Williams.

Brodie Croyle can't even win a single game with the best Tight End in the game, the best rookie wide receiver and a top 5 running back to hand off to.

Truth is, Young has already amounted to more than any of the bashers on this site ever said he would.

The only person on this site "jizzing" over Brodie Croyle was assmop, because he is a Bama homer.

9 TDs, 17 picks for Vince

I guess it was all the talent around him that allowed Croyle to throw 3 less TDs and 11 less interceptions. You know what also helps? When your all-world starting running back isn't on injured reserve.

Put Vince on Kansas City and they don't win a game either. Put Croyle or Clemens on the Titans and they still make the playoffs.

Put Vince on Kansas City and they don't win a game either. Put Croyle or Clemens on the Titans and they still make the playoffs.

Couldn't have said it any better. Heck, Chad Pennington could lead the Titans to the playoffs and a grand total of 6 points in San Diego. ****, Brett Ratliff maybe? With a real NFL Quarterback that Titans team is 12-4 and could be better if they didn't have to deal with Indianapolis and Jacksonville a combined four times a year.

(1) I was never "jizzing" over Brodie Croyle. Personally I thought (at the time) we should have taken Cutler if we were definitely grabbing a QB early.

(2) Even for those who loved Croyle as a prospect, what does that have to do with Vince Young being a crappy passer? He has gone along for the ride through - and received credit by revisionist Vince Young ballwashers for - several games the defense/special teams won.

His passing #'s didn't even compare that favorably to Kellen Clemens, who didn't have the benefit of an OL or a ground game or a defense that is - let's say "somewhat" - more help than the '07 Jets' defense was.

Personally, I think they both have sucked so far. Young started his career with 5 touchdowns to 9 interceptions. Clemens 5 touchdowns 10 interceptions. One of Clemens' was on a hail-mary pass & none of Young's were. Yet Young is great and Clemens sucks.

Croyle or Clemens or others who haven't impressed anyone to date have little to do with Young also sucking. He sucks whether Croyle does or not. And neither Croyle or Clemens cost $50M on a rookie contract.

(2) Even for those who loved Croyle as a prospect, what does that have to do with Vince Young being a crappy passer? He has gone along for the ride through - and received credit by revisionist Vince Young ballwashers for - several games the defense/special teams won.

His passing #'s didn't even compare that favorably to Kellen Clemens, who didn't have the benefit of an OL or a ground game or a defense that is - let's say "somewhat" - more help than the '07 Jets' defense was.

Personally, I think they both have sucked so far. Young started his career with 5 touchdowns to 9 interceptions. Clemens 5 touchdowns 10 interceptions. One of Clemens' was on a hail-mary pass & none of Young's were. Yet Young is great and Clemens sucks.

Croyle or Clemens or others who haven't impressed anyone to date have little to do with Young also sucking. He sucks whether Croyle does or not. And neither Croyle or Clemens cost $50M on a rookie contract.

I'm bringing up Croyle because most of the Young-haters were going nuts over this guy and if he played well and not like a piece of crap you'd have people like Troll going ga-ga over him talking about how they knew he'd be great all along. Now they're acting like they never even heard of the QB version of Anthony Schlegel.

Vince Young wins football games. Bottom line. The Titans in '06 were headed for last place before Young took over and since then they're 18-11. He won two Rose Bowls before that. For all the talk about how great the defense is they sure seemed to have a hard time winning football games before Young became the full-time starter.

And where did Pacman Jones, the Titans, shut down corner play last season? Oh, that's right he didn't play. Where did Travis Henry play last season? Oh, he was replaced by Lendale White, another guy who the "experts" on this site said was a surefire bust because he he weighed too much and didn't do enough jumping jacks at the combine.

I'm bringing up Croyle because most of the Young-haters were going nuts over this guy and if he played well and not like a piece of crap you'd have people like Troll going ga-ga over him talking about how they knew he'd be great all along.

Vince Young wins football games. Bottom line. The Titans in '06 were headed for last place before Young took over and since then they're 18-11. He won two Rose Bowls before that. For all the talk about how great the defense is they sure seemed to have a hard time winning football games before Young became the full-time starter.

And where did Pacman Jones, the Titans, shut down corner play last season? Oh, that's right he didn't play. Where did Travis Henry play last season? Oh, he was replaced by Lendale White, another guy who the "experts" on this site said was a surefire bust because he he weighed too much and didn't do enough jumping jacks at the combine.

First of all, no Croyle "jizz moppers" would be on here beating their chest if he threw 9 TDs and 17 INTs, but his team somehow managed to make the playoffs (and not score a touchdown) in spite of him. And I was never in love with Croyle. I just preferred him in the second, rather than Young or Leinart in the first. And I would still make that decision today, despite the sparkling NFL resumes of your two man crushes.

Kyle Orton wins football games. Bottom line. The Bears should start him. Remember when he went like 8-0? That was all Kyle Orton. Not the running game or the defense at all. All Orton, baby.

Losing Pacman didn't matter to the Titans (at least not on defense), because of their defensive line. The Titans are just one of the many examples of teams that prove that cornerbacks do not matter. It's all in the pass rush. Pacman played out of his f'ing mind in the later part of '06 because the front four was playing out of their minds.

Congrats on LenDale White, though. He's pretty solid running behind an offensive line that made Travis Henry, the only RB on the face of planet Earth that sucks in Denver, look like an All-Pro. Not to mention, you know, Chris Brown having like 200 yards rushing in week one. All LenDale, baby! You are right. We should have drafted him. As long as we build an unbe-****ing-lievable offensive line that any back in the league could post Pro Bowl numbers in, LenDale would dominate!

Losing Pacman didn't matter to the Titans (at least not on defense), because of their defensive line. The Titans are just one of the many examples of teams that prove that cornerbacks do not matter. It's all in the pass rush. Pacman played out of his f'ing mind in the later part of '06 because the front four was playing out of their minds.

Don't forget he ended up having a sick season on Specials for them in the second half of '06. I still would say Pacman had WAY more to do with them finishing 8-8 than VY.

Last year was all about running and defense for Tennessee, the staples of football. If you can do these things well you put yourself in a position to atleast sneak in to the playoff, hence the '07 Titans playoff appearance.

First of all, no Croyle "jizz moppers" would be on here beating their chest if he threw 9 TDs and 17 INTs, but his team somehow managed to make the playoffs (and not score a touchdown) in spite of him. And I was never in love with Croyle. I just preferred him in the second, rather than Young or Leinart in the first. And I would still make that decision today, despite the sparkling NFL resumes of your two man crushes.

Kyle Orton wins football games. Bottom line. The Bears should start him. Remember when he went like 8-0? That was all Kyle Orton. Not the running game or the defense at all. All Orton, baby.

Congrats on LenDale White, though. He's pretty solid running behind an offensive line that made Travis Henry, the only RB on the face of planet Earth that sucks in Denver, look like an All-Pro. Not to mention, you know, Chris Brown having like 200 yards rushing in week one. All LenDale, baby! You are right. We should have drafted him. As long as we build an unbe-****ing-lievable offensive line that any back in the league could post Pro Bowl numbers in, LenDale would dominate!

Henry was looking very good last season to be fair until all of his problems and injuries came up. I still think he's a pretty good back when 100%.

Don't forget he ended up having a sick season on Specials for them in the second half of '06. I still would say Pacman had WAY more to do with them finishing 8-8 than VY.

Last year was all about running and defense for Tennessee, the staples of football. If you can do these things well you put yourself in a position to atleast sneak in to the playoff, hence the '07 Titans playoff appearance.

I agree that Pacman was more important to the Titans in 2006 than VY.

I agree that Jones was a beast on specials and the Titans didn't effectively replace him there.

However, PeterNorth mentioned "shut down corner" Adam Jones. There is no such thing as a shut down corner. It's a myth. Like Santa Claus, the Easter Bunny, and the notion that Vince Young is a good QB.

Archived