Titans QB Vince Young Considered Retirement After '06

Irish Jet

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'm bringing up Croyle because most of the Young-haters were going nuts over this guy and if he played well and not like a piece of crap you'd have people like Troll going ga-ga over him talking about how they knew he'd be great all along. Now they're acting like they never even heard of the QB version of Anthony Schlegel.

Vince Young wins football games. Bottom line. The Titans in '06 were headed for last place before Young took over and since then they're 18-11. He won two Rose Bowls before that. For all the talk about how great the defense is they sure seemed to have a hard time winning football games before Young became the full-time starter.

And where did Pacman Jones, the Titans, shut down corner play last season? Oh, that's right he didn't play. Where did Travis Henry play last season? Oh, he was replaced by Lendale White, another guy who the "experts" on this site said was a surefire bust because he he weighed too much and didn't do enough jumping jacks at the combine.

Hey I'm only pointing out that you're jizzing over a guy whose team still managed to win inspite of him throwing 9 TD's last year while throwing 17 picks.

You are equating Young's presence during . The entire Titans team has played well. You are attributing it to Young even when he played so poorly that only a stout defense and special teams could enable victory.

Are you seriously suggesting that the reason the Titans won every one of those games I outlined in 2006 because of Vince Young?

Bro, one of those games the offense was totally and completely shut out. Zero points. And the Titans won 24-21. And you feel this victory was because of Vince Young?

Did the Titans score 31 points because of Vince Young's 8-of-21 passing and one touchdown? Like the game before, Tennessee would have won the game whether the QB was Vince Young or Brodie Croyle.

Did the Titans score 28 points on the 87 passing yards and 44 rushing yards Young provided? Or did they get 14 points from their defense and special teams in a game they won 28-22?

Did the Titans beat the Jets last year because of Vince Young? They won 10-6. How did Vince Young do? 167 passing/rushing yards, 0 td's and 1 interception. But sure - they won that game because of Vince Young & not because the defense held the Jets, behind an inept Pennington and garbage OL, to 6 points. The Titans still would have won if they had Brodie Croyle, who is just awful so far and probably always will be, instead of Young.

Vince Young's record is not 18-11 either. I wouldn't absolve him for his first 2 game sany more than I would absolve Kellen Clemens for his first game. Young sucked. There is no way the Titans would have outscored the Cowboys with their 45 points if he'd thrown 60 passes instead of only 30. The Titans scored 7 points on his 30 pass attempts (and 5 rush attempts). He was also in on more plays than Kerry Collins when they got shellacked the week before that. Vince Young starting and Kerry Collins finishing would have changed nothing.

There is no way that an offense led by Young was going to generate over 40 points. Let alone twice in two weeks. The first 4 weeks of 2006 the defense gave up 121 points (over 30ppg average). THAT is the reason they started out so crappy and Vince Young at his very best would have changed none of that. Hell, he played half the game in two of those 40-point games and you still point to Kerry Collins as the reason they lost.

These are two examples where you're citing that the team lost because he didn't start in favor of (the also awful) Kerry Collins. They lost those 2 games & if Young started & finished they still would have lost those 2 games.

Of course their defense then held the Colts to 14 points the week after that & they lost 14-13 behind Young's 63 passing yards with 0 TD's and 1 pick in his 21 pass attempts. But if Collins started that game, you'd clearly be harping on how the absence of Vince Young is what caused that loss.

In addition to crediting Young for victories where he was far from an asset to the Titans, you are even crediting Young for a week 17 victory last year that he didn't even play in vs the Colts.

That's more of an agenda than people you claim have an agenda against Young.

You want to call him a winner, then Kyle Orton is also a winner. So is Rex Grossman. So is Tavaris Jackson who was 8-4 last year. And Carson Palmer is a loser who is worse than all of them because the Bengals are 15-17 over the last 2 seasons.

You didn't seem to believe that whole "but the team scored more points and won more games with him" line regarding Pennington vs Clemens. Yet you buy into it and preach it as gospel to serve your agenda with Young.

The guy sucks. Brodie Croyle also sucking doesn't change that.

Hey I'm only pointing out that you're jizzing over a guy whose team still managed to win inspite of him throwing 9 TD's last year while throwing 17 picks.

You are equating Young's presence during . The entire Titans team has played well. You are attributing it to Young even when he played so poorly that only a stout defense and special teams could enable victory.

Are you seriously suggesting that the reason the Titans won every one of those games I outlined in 2006 because of Vince Young?

Bro, one of those games the offense was totally and completely shut out. Zero points. And the Titans won 24-21. And you feel this victory was because of Vince Young?

Did the Titans score 31 points because of Vince Young's 8-of-21 passing and one touchdown? Like the game before, Tennessee would have won the game whether the QB was Vince Young or Brodie Croyle.

Did the Titans score 28 points on the 87 passing yards and 44 rushing yards Young provided? Or did they get 14 points from their defense and special teams in a game they won 28-22?

Did the Titans beat the Jets last year because of Vince Young? They won 10-6. How did Vince Young do? 167 passing/rushing yards, 0 td's and 1 interception. But sure - they won that game because of Vince Young & not because the defense held the Jets, behind an inept Pennington and garbage OL, to 6 points. The Titans still would have won if they had Brodie Croyle, who is just awful so far and probably always will be, instead of Young.

Vince Young's record is not 18-11 either. I wouldn't absolve him for his first 2 game sany more than I would absolve Kellen Clemens for his first game. Young sucked. There is no way the Titans would have outscored the Cowboys with their 45 points if he'd thrown 60 passes instead of only 30. The Titans scored 7 points on his 30 pass attempts (and 5 rush attempts). He was also in on more plays than Kerry Collins when they got shellacked the week before that. Vince Young starting and Kerry Collins finishing would have changed nothing.

There is no way that an offense led by Young was going to generate over 40 points. Let alone twice in two weeks. The first 4 weeks of 2006 the defense gave up 121 points (over 30ppg average). THAT is the reason they started out so crappy and Vince Young at his very best would have changed none of that. Hell, he played half the game in two of those 40-point games and you still point to Kerry Collins as the reason they lost.

These are two examples where you're citing that the team lost because he didn't start in favor of (the also awful) Kerry Collins. They lost those 2 games & if Young started & finished they still would have lost those 2 games.

Of course their defense then held the Colts to 14 points the week after that & they lost 14-13 behind Young's 63 passing yards with 0 TD's and 1 pick in his 21 pass attempts. But if Collins started that game, you'd clearly be harping on how the absence of Vince Young is what caused that loss.

In addition to crediting Young for victories where he was far from an asset to the Titans, you are even crediting Young for a week 17 victory last year that he didn't even play in vs the Colts.

That's more of an agenda than people you claim have an agenda against Young.

You want to call him a winner, then Kyle Orton is also a winner. So is Rex Grossman. So is Tavaris Jackson who was 8-4 last year. And Carson Palmer is a loser who is worse than all of them because the Bengals are 15-17 over the last 2 seasons.

You didn't seem to believe that whole "but the team scored more points and won more games with him" line regarding Pennington vs Clemens. Yet you buy into it and preach it as gospel to serve your agenda with Young.

The guy sucks. Brodie Croyle also sucking doesn't change that.

And down goes North, down goes North. Its a first round knock out. :lol:

Can we please give gthe guy more than two seasons before writing him off as a terrible QB?

The guys best WR is Justin Gage for god sakes.

:yawn:

I am so god damn tired of this argument. Since when did all interceptions, or even most interceptions, fall on the hands of the Wide Receiver? Since when? Just to fit an argument in someones favor? I don't think so. Vince Young is a garbage Quarterback. He's a nice runner and he sells tickets, but a Quarterback he is not.

:yawn:

I am so god damn tired of this argument. Since when did all interceptions, or even most interceptions, fall on the hands of the Wide Receiver? Since when? Just to fit an argument in someones favor? I don't think so. Vince Young is a garbage Quarterback. He's a nice runner and he sells tickets, but a Quarterback he is not.

That doesn't matter. His WR's are not talented at all! There is nothing he can do, at all.

That doesn't matter. His WR's are not talented at all! There is nothing he can do, at all.

Yes, there is.

He has a top five offensive line/running game. Pity poor Vince because his receivers aren't Randy Moss and Terrell Owens. Learn how to manage the damn game and quit turning the ball over twice as much as you score. His receivers aren't good, but he makes them look worse than they really are. They didn't look so terrible whenever Kerry Collins was in at QB, much like Roddy White suddenly wasn't a gigantic bust as soon as the great Harrington stepped under center.

lol, the guy has played not even two full seasons at the most difficult position in sports.

David Carr got about 6 years before most people around here finally realized he's awful.

That's oversimplifying a little. Few people in this world are given 3 years to prove their worth at QB. Most prospects aren't given even 1 full season. If he wasn't taken #3 overall and given a $50M contract a QB with those #'s would have to survive true competition.

Is every prospect supposed to be given 3 or 4 years? Perhaps you think the Bengals were rash in quitting on Akili Smith. Or were the Jets (and the entire league) rash in judging that Browning Nagle sucked after only 1 season?

We didn't really need to see a 3rd season of Joey Harrington to know he was garbage.

I just don't see all the same clamoring for multiple additio.al opportunities for Rex Grossman, who "led" his team to much more - in his first full season - than Vince Young has even sniffed at.

well i don't think Glenn Foley got his fair try, now did he

No he really didn't. Then again, Ray Lucas didn't either. I mean, another year or two under Ray's belt in New York and we would've been talking Super Bowl. F'ing Jets.

Yes, there is.

He has a top five offensive line/running game. Pity poor Vince because his receivers aren't Randy Moss and Terrell Owens. Learn how to manage the damn game and quit turning the ball over twice as much as you score. His receivers aren't good, but he makes them look worse than they really are. They didn't look so terrible whenever Kerry Collins was in at QB, much like Roddy White suddenly wasn't a gigantic bust as soon as the great Harrington stepped under center.

Top 5 running game ? I don't know about that. His receivers can't get any worse to be honest, they are absolutely terrible.

Vick was bad at passing. Very bad. But I don't know what Vince Young has done to show he's in anyway better.

Vick was better than Young at both passing and of course running. He was a much smarter QB too.

Overall he was just simply a much better QB and I don't even rate him that highly.

Walt Michaels says you drink more than Walt Michaels. Mike Vick can pass, do you hear me? Hell, 32 teams would take his talent in a heartbeat.

You're not once of those Fantasy geeks that never played, are you? Just so you know, if Vick came out now, he'd get 60-70 million upfront guaranteed.

Mike Vick can't pass. pssshhh

Walt

Walt Michaels says you drink more than Walt Michaels. Mike Vick can pass, do you hear me? Hell, 32 teams would take his talent in a heartbeat.

You're not once of those Fantasy geeks that never played, are you? Just so you know, if Vick came out now, he'd get 60-70 million upfront guaranteed.

Walt

vick is effective passing when he scrambles and defenses break down,,he isnt too good in straight drop when defenses are set,,he doesnt have great touch to put over defense,,he has zing when guy is open and has arm to outthrow defense,,but he isnt that great in touch or zone passing and he has big propblems in finding secondary and terciary WRs when primary is covered..

Walt

Excuse my rudeness but this has to be the dumbest post since I been here.

Watch that Troll and wait until it gets to about 2 minutes.

Listen to what they say.

What they don't mention is that in that Denver game, there were two passes that weren't dropped. They were caught by the Broncos. And that was probably the best performance of his pro career.

Do you even watch the Titans? I do. You could make a ten minute video of nothing but ****ty passes that Young has thrown in his first two seasons. And it is pretty obvious to me that most people that sausage jockey Vince do not often catch the Titans. I saw every game that team played in 2006, and that team winning literally had absolutely nothing to do with Vince Young.

Hell, my best friend is a Titans fan (hence, why I see their games) and even he agrees that Vince blows.

Here is a trivia question: only two Titans receivers had 100-yard games last season. Can you name them and name the games?

Answer: Roydell Williams had 124 yards against Houston, and Justin Gage had 104 yards against Indy.

And what did those two games have in common?

Why, it's the quarterback! And his name is not Vince Young. His name is Kerry Collins.

What they don't mention is that in that Denver game, there were two passes that weren't dropped. They were caught by the Broncos. And that was probably the best performance of his pro career.

Do you even watch the Titans? I do. You could make a ten minute video of nothing but ****ty passes that Young has thrown in his first two seasons. And it is pretty obvious to me that most people that sausage jockey Vince do not often catch the Titans. I saw every game that team played in 2006, and that team winning literally had absolutely nothing to do with Vince Young.

Hell, my best friend is a Titans fan (hence, why I see their games) and even he agrees that Vince blows.

Here is a trivia question: only two Titans receivers had 100-yard games last season. Can you name them and name the games?

Answer: Roydell Williams had 124 yards against Houston, and Justin Gage had 104 yards against Indy.

And what did those two games have in common?

Why, it's the quarterback! And his name is not Vince Young. His name is Kerry Collins.

That stat is very interesting but still Young is a much different QB than Kerry Collins.

Don't you think Vince Young has something to do with that ?

Something? Yes, a very little bit but that is RUNNING. A Quarterbacks job is not to run the ball. (And run first Quarterbacks, such as Vick and Young have never won a championship) If it were, Michael Vick would have had five or more Super Bowl rings before he left for two years in prison.

Vince Young isn't even on the Top 5 as to why the Titans have been successful the past two seasons. He's a nice attraction to reel in the little kids, but he's not a Quarterback, he's an athlete playing the position and not playing it well in terms of what he is asked to do.

Something? Yes, a very little bit but that is RUNNING. A Quarterbacks job is not to run the ball. (And run first Quarterbacks, such as Vick and Young have never won a championship) If it were, Michael Vick would have had five or more Super Bowl rings before he left for two years in prison.

Vince Young isn't even on the Top 5 as to why the Titans have been successful the past two seasons. He's a nice attraction to reel in the little kids, but he's not a Quarterback, he's an athlete playing the position and not playing it well in terms of what he is asked to do.

Mobile QB's will always improve an inside running game though. It's due to the defense having to lock down on the QB (They must assign a spy) and the D-line must play to contain him to stop him.

That is why Warrick Dunn and TJ Duckett were able to dominate in Atlanta despite playing behind an average O-line and having no major passing threat.

That applies a lot more to Vick though than for Young. He's good at running for a QB but Vick was in a league of his own.

However, I'll be fair and I'll give Young this:

His completion percentange, I know, I know, the stat we all know and love oh so much thanks to Ecurb, increased from 51.5% in his rookie season to 62.3% in 2007.

2006: 184-357, 2199 yards, 12 TD, 13 INT, 51.5%

2007: 238-382, 2546 yards, 9 TD, 17 INT, 62.3%

However, the increase in INT's and the decrease in TD passes, with two more games started, is troubling.

Mobile QB's will always improve an inside running game though. It's due to the defense having to lock down on the QB (They must assign a spy) and the D-line must play to contain him to stop him.

That is why Warrick Dunn and TJ Duckett were able to dominate in Atlanta despite playing behind an average O-line and having no major passing threat.

That applies a lot more to Vick though than for Young. He's good at running for a QB but Vick was in a league of his own.

I think you're giving Warrick Dunn too little credit. He is a very good and tough back.

It opens up the running game to some extent, yes, but as you said Vick is in a league of his own when it comes to being a rushing threat. The Titans' Offensive Line is and was much better than those of the Falcons and Travis Henry really is no scrub. He will bounce back with a strong year this season in Denver if he can remain healthy once the season begins.

I think you're giving Warrick Dunn too little credit. He is a very good and tough back.

It opens up the running game to some extent, yes, but as you said Vick is in a league of his own when it comes to being a rushing threat. The Titans' Offensive Line is and was much better than those of the Falcons and Travis Henry really is no scrub. He will bounce back with a strong year this season in Denver if he can remain healthy once the season begins.

True but look at how is average dramatically decreased as soon as Vick left. I know that some of that has to with age but even so he had never went under 4.0 YPC for a deason when Mike Vick was at QB, it then fell to 3.2.

True but look at how is average dramatically decreased as soon as Vick left. I know that some of that has to with age but even so he had never went under 4.0 YPC for a deason when Mike Vick was at QB, it then fell to 3.2.

I think there is a big change between Michael Vick and Joey Harringon / Chris Redman, who was out of the league until Bobby Petrino brought him back in.

I think there is a big change between Michael Vick and Joey Harringon / Chris Redman, who was out of the league until Bobby Petrino brought him back in.

That's my point. Harrington wasn't actually too much worse than Vick in terms of passing, if at all.

I want to say something so bad but I really don't want to get racial. Lol

That's my point. Harrington wasn't actually too much worse than Vick in terms of passing, if at all.

I have to disagree.

Harrington's last season vs Vick's last season (It finally began to look like Vick was coming into his own -- minus his completion % -- after five years of run, run, run -- or maybe it was just luck?)

JH: 215-348, 2215 yards, 7 TD, 8 INT, 61.8 completion %

MV: 204-388, 2474 yards, 20 TD, 13 INT, 52.6 completion %

As you can see, the only stat Joey had on Michael was his % (and that in large part was because Joey is more of a check down passer) but as Jets fans we know completion % doesn't really mean much. If it did, heck, Chad Pennington would be the best Quarterback in the NFL. ;-)

Archived