SJ Reviews: 'Indiana Jones ..Crystal Skull'...Delivers family fun for all

SouthernJet

OK, this is what we expect when we see Indiana Jones on screen. A film that you can pile all the kids, grandma and grandpa into the car and everyone comes away smiling and daydreaming of wearing that hat yourself.

Was it as good as other Indiana flicks? Its such a relative question. It was so long ago our mindset has changed. Its such a cultural icon now that a franchise like this has to be seen by the its effect on all.

What it does do is deliver unbeleivable chases, illogical premises all wrapped up in a knowledge that good overtakes evil and no one will be bummed out at the end.

This flick brings us into another history laden script. We know we are in for a ride when the movie opens in the Nevada deset, in a place called Gate 51.

It does a good job bringing old faces and wrapping up storylines, while holding out hope of a new series of flicks in future. The next 'Indy' may be revealed before flick is over.

So if it doesnt measure up to what you remember from past I just ask you to still search for that inner daydreamer who knows a good ride will be had for all if you just let yourself dream. Have fun and bring your family . :D

3 1/2 stars_002.gif's

I've never even seen Star Wars all the way through. Honest. That also goes for the Indiana Jones thing, except for the one with the bugs and that kid that annoyed me. "Indy! Indy!" What was up with that. Maybe I should try harder.

Seems like good family fare. Thanks for the review, SJ.

first good review i've heard on it so far. I'll catch it when it comes out on video.

there have been many good reviews,,many,,its basically averaging 3 stars across the country

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/indiana_jones_and_the_kingdom_of_the_crystal_skull/

http://www.metacritic.com/film/titles/indianajones4

I've never even seen Star Wars all the way through. Honest. That also goes for the Indiana Jones thing, except for the one with the bugs and that kid that annoyed me. "Indy! Indy!" What was up with that. Maybe I should try harder.

Seems like good family fare. Thanks for the review, SJ.

Dont you dare Blaspheme Shortround

not to sound like an idiot, but is that on a 4 or 5 point scale?

well, the ytake the score,,if a reviewer uses 4 starsystem and gives 3 stars, that is 75 points,,,if areviewer uses 5 star system and gives 3 stars , thats 60 points,,etc..

so a hybrid i guess...

most reviewers use 4 stars or none,,,

if none, then metactic and rottentomato staff use judgement to assign a $ based on reading review..

its best way to avoid being tainted by one or two local paper reviews,,takes top 30-40 reviewers in US and compiles a average...

some say ' i dont read reviews, I use my own judgement',,well thats fine,,but if u want to go to one of several flicks its always nice to get afeel for what the consensus is..just a guide...

helps to avoid real bombs,,if aflick gets a 20 or 30 score from all reviewers, its a good chance it sucks...

I took Grant and one of his buddies to see it this afternoon. It was typical Indiana Jones but it seemed to be lacking something. It was still good entertainment. The one thing that caught me off guard is that as a kid I never realized how far back these movies were set. When it shot 1957 up on the screen I was thinking flashback. Then I see Indy and I'm like :wtf: I had always assumed that the old ones were set in the 70s and 80s. I suppose if I had watched them as an adult I would have figured it out but I haven't seen any of them since the theater.

I took Grant and one of his buddies to see it this afternoon. It was typical Indiana Jones but it seemed to be lacking something. It was still good entertainment. The one thing that caught me off guard is that as a kid I never realized how far back these movies were set. When it shot 1957 up on the screen I was thinking flashback. Then I see Indy and I'm like :wtf: I had always assumed that the old ones were set in the 70s and 80s. I suppose if I had watched them as an adult I would have figured it out but I haven't seen any of them since the theater.

There were no n a z i 's in the 70s and 80s, you dumbass. :)

saw it tonight. movie was good, but it just didn't feel like an Indy movie. Everything felt rushed and some of the CGI took away from what made the original movies so good, the realism. Not to mention, I don't think there were ever a whole lot of moments in this movie that built tension.

saw it tonight. movie was good, but it just didn't feel like an Indy movie. Everything felt rushed and some of the CGI took away from what made the original movies so good, the realism. Not to mention, I don't think there were ever a whole lot of moments in this movie that built tension.

actually, odd u say that,,many people are complaining not enuf CGI,,speilberg said he made decsion NOT t ouse lots of CGI caus ehe wanted touch/feel of original movie which wasnt heavy CGI in those days..

just goes to show, u will always pleas eand displease someone..

The last Indiana Jones movie I saw in the theaters was the last one with Sean Connery. we had originally planned on seeing Roadhouse with Patrick Swayze, but after 20 minutes of that garbage we picked up and moved into the adjoining theater to watch a good movie while eating Chinese food with hot peppers and a huge big gulp.

I might go to see this one, don't know yet.

Saw it over the weekend. Thought it was decent, but the problem with a film like this is it will never live upto the hype that the originals generated. Lucas had the same problem with the Star Wars prequels. It was obvious he had his influence on this one.

I wasn't too crazy about the plot, but it was good to see Indy on the big screen, and it was fun enough to keep my attention for 2 hours.

Did you think he's been fighting Illinois N a z i s this whole time? :rolleyes:

Archived