RIP Sydney Pollack

Thor99

A major talent and pretty damn good character actor to boot.

Thanks for the many laughs and entertainment Sydney - RIP

Michael Dorsey: Are you saying that nobody in New York will work with me?

George Fields: No, no, that's too limited... nobody in Hollywood wants to work with you either. I can't even set you up for a commercial. You played a *tomato* for 30 seconds - they went a half a day over schedule because you wouldn't sit down.

Michael Dorsey: Of course. It was illogical.

George Fields: YOU WERE A TOMATO. A tomato doesn't have logic. A tomato can't move.

Michael Dorsey: That's what I said. So if he can't move, how's he gonna sit down, George? I was a stand-up tomato: a juicy, sexy, beefsteak tomato. Nobody does vegetables like me. I did an evening of vegetables off-Broadway. I did the best tomato, the best cucumber... I did an endive salad that knocked the critics on their ass.

Classic stuff.

This sucks. I just saw him in Michael Clayton and was impressed yet again at his marvelous acting skills despite it being a small role. He was a genius in my opinion and his acting was just as good or better than his directing.

R.I.P. Sydney :(

This is sad, I always liked him. Saw him last in Michael Clayton and thought it was a great role for him. He produced MC, as well as Cold Mountain and The Talented Mr. Ripley. He just seemed like a decent guy who was able to do the jobs he loved, acting, directing, producing. Not to mention grandpa to 6 kids.

This article says he was diagnosed with cancer 9 months ago, so he went down fast.

RIP. :1cry:

Among the 100 best American love movies ranked by American Film Institute in June, 2002, Pollack is the only director credited with two films near the top of list. His The Way We Were (1973) is ranked #6 and Out of Africa (1985) is ranked #13.

He directed 12 different actors in Oscar-nominated performances: Jane Fonda, Gig Young, Susannah York, Barbra Streisand, Paul Newman, Melinda Dillon, Jessica Lange, Dustin Hoffman, Teri Garr , Meryl Streep, Klaus Maria Brandauer and Holly Hunter. Young and Lange won Oscars for their performances in one of Pollacks movies.

http://movies.yahoo.com/mv/news/ap/20080527/121189068000.html

Archived