No hablo ingl

SouthernJet

massive x-mas eve gatherings. We still have the biggest veggie gardens, gather to make supresata in Auntie's collosal basement and make our own wine.

supersata, mmm good....

excellent post Garb..both my paternal grandparents are from Italy and none of their children spoke Italian except for a few terms and phrases. Anyone that doesn't live in S Fla shouldn't even remark about this topic because they have no clue. How about needing a cop but he speaks such poor English that he has no clue what you need. Or you can't get medical attention cause of a language barrier. I know that is an extreme example but you are kidding yourself if you think it doesn't happen.

Come on down for 2 months and see whats happening here, then tell all of us that we are over reacting and should learn THEIR language

• Replies 234
  • Created
  • Last Reply
supersata, mmm good....

excellent post Garb..both my paternal grandparents are from Italy and none of their children spoke Italian except for a few terms and phrases. Anyone that doesn't live in S Fla shouldn't even remark about this topic because they have no clue. How about needing a cop but he speaks such poor English that he has no clue what you need. Or you can't get medical attention cause of a language barrier. I know that is an extreme example but you are kidding yourself if you think it doesn't happen.

Come on down for 2 months and see whats happening here, then tell all of us that we are over reacting and should learn THEIR language

There are people outside of south florida that encounter similar problems. I haven't heard of any officers around here that can't speak english but there are plenty of other problems. Just this weekend I heard a guy talking about going through a drive thru in Garden City and the person on the mic was talking in spanish. I suppose the guy should have learned spanish so he could order food at an american fast food joint. :rolleyes:

There are people outside of south florida that encounter similar problems. I haven't heard of any officers around here that can't speak english but there are plenty of other problems. Just this weekend I heard a guy talking about going through a drive thru in Garden City and the person on the mic was talking in spanish. I suppose the guy should have learned spanish so he could order food at an american fast food joint. :rolleyes:

Well of course Alk. I mean, dammit, we have to just get used to it. If they're going to enter this country for the most part illegally, we should at least help them out by learning their language to make their transition into American society a little bit smoother, no? :rl:

That is just down right pathetic. I hope that guy complained.

Show me one post where someone said that English should be the only language spoken in this country. Just one.

Again, we have to learn another language, yet the immigrant doesn't. Got it.

its freakin hilarious how you keep saying that, correctly, but no one can come up with a logical response,,POTW

Really really easy for you to say. Tell that to a small business owner who's 55 years old and is struggling to pay the bills, doesnt have the time or sources to learn another language, and is seeing profits dwindle each month because of it. :roll:

last time i checked public libraries are free.

So we need to conform because they want to move into our coutry illegally? Sorry man but that's bass ackwards. I think I'll move to mexico and demand that they speak to me in English. That's what I'll do. I wonder how far that will fly.

it's either that or cry about it. wah wah no one's speaking English anymore

which is more productive?

bro there is no way a 55 yr old man living in south florida will be able to learn spanish and comunicate with the people down here.. they dont speak proper spanish they all speak slang fron there country.. it is very easy to tell the difference btween cubans, puetro ricans, dominicans and mexicans because they all speak and sound different.

bro there is no way a 55 yr old man living in south florida will be able to learn spanish and comunicate with the people down here.. they dont speak proper spanish they all speak slang fron there country.. it is very easy to tell the difference btween cubans, puetro ricans, dominicans and mexicans because they all speak and sound different.

why is it the job of the US Government to make sure this man can conduct business in his city of choice?

whatever happened to personal responsibility?

It's a free country, move. Or learn Spanish. Just stop whining about it.

This didn't happen overnight, I find it hard to sympathize with this person who woke up one day and realized they lived in Miami and it's mostly spanish speaking. Isn't this old news? Welcome to 30 years ago.

Bit I always looked forward to your posts because you were a voice of reason amidts all the insanity...when did you cross over to the other side? The whole point here is LEGAL CITIZENS shouldn't have to learn the language of ILLEGALS to survive at home. You are way off on this dude

Bit I always looked forward to your posts because you were a voice of reason amidts all the insanity...when did you cross over to the other side? The whole point here is LEGAL CITIZENS shouldn't have to learn the language of ILLEGALS to survive at home. You are way off on this dude

Exactly. There is no reason why Americans should have to learn Spanish to survive with the illegal immigrants who bring this country down.

I'm not exactly sure illegal immigrants are bringing this country down - that's a pretty general, and dangerous, statement there. It's bad people that are the problem. Still, come to America - learn the frickin' language. That's not asking a whole lot. Really.

And, this is going to sound awful, but from my perspective very, very true. What the heck is wrong with the youth of this country? It's like work ethic was replaced with video games and lap-tops. Go into a metro-area supermarket lately? 70 -75% of the time, who is bagging your groceries? Yup, folks who's first language is not English. A Dunkin Dounts (Boston area) - I'm shocked when I see a "white" person working behind the counter. Hotel chamber maids? Mostly immigrants. Car Wash? Immigrants. Landscaper grunts - immigrants. CVS stocker - Immigrants. Now, maybe I'm old - but jeez louise, growing up, high school/college kids were clamoring for part-time or summer jobs. Kids were working these very jobs. Now what? Kids are too good for these jobs? Mom and Daddy finance your laziness and video collection? Can't unglue yourself from the NFL Channel? Up all night playing Guitar hero, couldn't possibly work in days in the summer. When all is said and done, these people are taking jobs many don't want. Lot's of 'em work crazy hours...lot's of 'em work two, three jobs. Most of 'em ARE learning the language. These hard workers have earned my respect, that's for sure.

BTW - there are many, many young people that work their arses off, it's the lazy ones that spoil it all for you and why many people are disgusted with this new generation of slackers.

I'm not exactly sure illegal immigrants are bringing this country down - that's a pretty general, and dangerous, statement there. It's bad people that are the problem. Still, come to America - learn the frickin' language. That's not asking a whole lot. Really.

And, this is going to sound awful, but from my perspective very, very true. What the heck is wrong with the youth of this country? It's like work ethic was replaced with video games and lap-tops. Go into a metro-area supermarket lately? 70 -75% of the time, who is bagging your groceries? Yup, folks who's first language is not English. A Dunkin Dounts (Boston area) - I'm shocked when I see a "white" person working behind the counter. Hotel chamber maids? Mostly immigrants. Car Wash? Immigrants. Landscaper grunts - immigrants. CVS stocker - Immigrants. Now, maybe I'm old - but jeez louise, growing up, high school/college kids were clamoring for part-time or summer jobs. Kids were working these very jobs. Now what? Kids are too good for these jobs? Mom and Daddy finance your laziness and video collection? Can't unglue yourself from the NFL Channel? Up all night playing Guitar hero, couldn't possibly work in days in the summer. When all is said and done, these people are taking jobs many don't want. Lot's of 'em work crazy hours...lot's of 'em work two, three jobs. Most of 'em ARE learning the language. These hard workers have earned my respect, that's for sure.

BTW - there are many, many young people that work their arses off, it's the lazy ones that spoil it all for you and why many people are disgusted with this new generation of slackers.

Agreed and rep'd.

it's either that or cry about it. wah wah no one's speaking English anymore

which is more productive?

Neither are productive IMO but I feel a hell of alot better bitching about it than bending over for them.

why is it the job of the US Government to make sure this man can conduct business in his city of choice?

whatever happened to personal responsibility?

It's a free country, move. Or learn Spanish. Just stop whining about it.

This didn't happen overnight, I find it hard to sympathize with this person who woke up one day and realized they lived in Miami and it's mostly spanish speaking. Isn't this old news? Welcome to 30 years ago.

so u dont thin gov't should provide spanish speaking education for kids,,

u r saying that its personal repsonsibility of immigrants to learn english if they want to go toschool..

if Bit lived down here he would understand..

well you are right the imagrants are very hard workers.. trust ive worked landscaping and other hard labor jobs half my life and there aint no one that can work harder than a mexican or hatian.. but i still think that if they are gonna live and work here at least try to learn the language..IMO

Garb I would say these people have these jobs not because of the kids not wanting to work, but because they come at a cheaper price. Face it, a lot of these illegals have no idea what the laws are and how a company in America works so they can pay them minimum wage or under pay them under the table. A kid in America will fight for his or her raise and will not want to start out at minimum wage. Its not that kids are being babied, and yes I know that some are, its that in most circumstances these illegals come cheaper.

Garb I would say these people have these jobs not because of the kids not wanting to work, but because they come at a cheaper price. Face it, a lot of these illegals have no idea what the laws are and how a company in America works so they can pay them minimum wage or under pay them under the table. A kid in America will fight for his or her raise and will not want to start out at minimum wage. Its not that kids are being babied, and yes I know that some are, its that in most circumstances these illegals come cheaper.

Starting wage at - um Dunkin Donuts - is what? $7 an hour. Most kids deem themselves too good to make such a sum. I've seen this countless times. As far as landscaper grunts - the money is the same, under the table - and most likely the same via check. Too many kids are just pretentious, feel a false sense of privilege and are lazy. I see it every day.

when we hire a water plant trainee here in S Fla, with no experience, we start them at $12 an hour...most kids turn it down..they are all spoiled little ****s who are used to having everything handed to them

when we hire a water plant trainee here in S Fla, with no experience, we start them at $12 an hour...most kids turn it down..they are all spoiled little ****s who are used to having everything handed to them

What city is that Boca?!?! dam boca kids got it made with there fancy lil sports car and collared shirts... they dont have to work for nothing unlike me who was born with a spork from taco bell in my mouth and has to work hard for everything i own

Neither are productive IMO but I feel a hell of alot better bitching about it than bending over for them.

So learning Spanish isn't productive? moving to a new town isn't productive?

Saying if I lived there I would understand - dude I don't live there so I don't have to understand. I chose where to live, I wasn't placed anywhere. It is a personal choice, we have freedom in this country to live where we like.

everyone b-tches and moans about illegals but the harsh truth is big business needs these people and without them our society would grind to a halt.

Who's gonna pack meat? you? Max? Wait a sec don't answer that question...

Last time I checked time isn't free. Not to mention the average 55 year old just wouldn't be able to learn another language. I can provide an example for you, either side of the issue. My mother had Alzheimer's turning 55. She was a nurse at the time. She found it very difficult to accept and learn how to input everything she used to write down onto a computer, she had never seen one before. She just couldn't break out of her routine, but she still kept her job as people understood her situation. My father, on the other hand, was an asbestos supervisor right around the time it was discovered to be so bad and there was such a big boom for it. On his job site, he had to learn certain phrases of Spanish just to communicate with the people he was supervising. After a while he got these phrases down.

Some people can do it at that age while for others it's just physically impossible. To assume anyone at that age can, and should adjust to a new language is a groundless assumption that just cannot become truth in most cases.

so u dont thin gov't should provide spanish speaking education for kids,,

u r saying that its personal repsonsibility of immigrants to learn english if they want to go toschool..

Yes - i would agree with that. Gov't should not be expected to solve the problem but they shouldn't make it worse.

What city is that Boca?!?! dam boca kids got it made with there fancy lil sports car and collared shirts... they dont have to work for nothing unlike me who was born with a spork from taco bell in my mouth and has to work hard for everything i own

I live in Boca but I work in Davie,,we try to hire younger people cause there is some heavy lfiting involved, but when they find that out, $12 isn't enough

Saying if I lived there I would understand - dude I don't live there so I don't have to understand. I chose where to live, I wasn't placed anywhere. It is a personal choice, we have freedom in this country to live where we like.

everyone b-tches and moans about illegals but the harsh truth is big business needs these people and without them our society would grind to a halt.

That argument is complete and utter bull****. Illegal immigrants are costing us more than they are helping us and the numbers are there to prove it. There's a net fiscal deficit on the local, state, and central governmental levels created from illegal immigrants. The majority do not pay all their taxes, here's a link and a website for more reading on the issue:

http://www.cis.org/articles/2004/fiscalexec.html

and I chose where I am because this is where I can do the best for myself and family. But that is really a dumb arguement. So if my business is affected by a language barrier, even though I have been there for 30+ years, I should quit and move on because no one is forcing me to stay? And I should learn their language so that I can remain in the samer job and house that I have been in for 30+ years?

put down the pipe BIT, you have had enough for today

Thats what every generation says about the other. You're lame.

and I chose where I am because this is where I can do the best for myself and family. But that is really a dumb arguement. So if my business is affected by a language barrier, even though I have been there for 30+ years, I should quit and move on because no one is forcing me to stay? And I should learn their language so that I can remain in the samer job and house that I have been in for 30+ years?

put down the pipe BIT, you have had enough for today

No, us legal citizens should cater to the illegals because 1000 years from now it wont matter.

thanks for the enlightenment bit. :bag:

I'm sure bit carries around an english/every other language dictionary when he walks the streets in Miami. He's very sophisticated like that. :rl:

No, us legal citizens should cater to the illegals because 1000 years from now it wont matter.

thanks for the enlightenment bit. :bag:

I'm sure bit carries around an english/every other language dictionary when he walks the streets in Miami. He's very sophisticated like that. :rl:

now Barton, you know full well we all have a Universal Translator

04uhura.jpg

There are actually people in this thread who don't think an american citizen needs to speak english?

**** that ****.

signed , sealed, delivered..

what more needs to be said..

The immigrants of yesteryear are turning over in thier graves...

well put Smizzy

signed , sealed, delivered..

what more needs to be said..

The immigrants of yesteryear are turning over in thier graves...

well put Smizzy

My mothers side of the family is fresh off the boat from Italy...

My DAD is fresh off the boat from Greece....

Guess what? THEY ALL LEARNED ENGLISH the best they could. I'm just saying make some effort.

Archived