Just in..SORIANO TO THE METS!

Latinlawyer

Soriano is arbitration eligible next year. So that is great news.

Is he going to play 2B or CF?

Centerfield

I hear the Mets are looking to trade Beltran for a .260 hitter with a low OBP and a high salary......stay tuned.

Soriano is arbitration eligible next year. So that is great news.

Is he going to play 2B or CF?

He will play 2b (Sorry meant playing at second base not centerfield).

Newly Revamped Lineup...

Reyes

Beltran

Wright

Floyd

Soriano (2b)bye bye Matsui

Piazza

Miekenwitz

Diaz (new RF)

Pitcher

Also, I believe the mets will add Sean Casey or Adam Dunn to play 1B....

LL

This trade helps make the Mets a better team now, but this really isn't a good trade.

Now it helps because Diaz and Soriano will produce more than Cameron and any other second baseman the Mets put in. At least from an offensive standpoint. Defensively, they are weaker and don't think having Cameron and Beltran next to eachother didn't help their pitching staff.

But in the grand scheme of things, Milledge and Cameron will produce more than Soriano will as one player. Mets need to ask themselves: would you rather have Diaz/Cameron and Keppinger, or Soriano and Diaz? I would take the first option. Only thing I am glad about is that Milledge and Cameron are big strikeout guys like Soriano, so the Mets didnt give up actual good production for someone who puts up the glamour stats. That is, of course, if the trade if official.

I'm not a huge fan of Soriano, but I guess I can take solace in the fact they didn't give up Heilman, Zambrano, Cameron, and Milledge for him. They just traded tool guys for another tools guy.

This is a Great trade for the Mets

Who really knows what Milledge will become, and Cameron has been expendable since they day the Mets inked Beltran

Sori has his trouble with OBP and K's, but he'll also hit you .300/30+ HR's from 2B ... and that's huge

He'll also steal 30 bases, score a 100 runs, and drive in 100 as well

Heck of a trade for the Mets

LL, what do you hear about Casey? IMO, that would be HUUUUUUUGE.

There is a Huge rumor that the Mets may get Sean Casey for some minor league pitching prospects (read Petit and/or heilmann)

Now, i dont know for sure but I have seen several reports that say Casey is coming to the Mets.

However, keep in mind that Adam Dunn may be coming instead of casey...personally..i prefer Casey.

LL

There is a Huge rumor that the Mets may get Sean Casey for some minor league pitching prospects (read Petit and/or heilmann)

Now, i dont know for sure but I have seen several reports that say Casey is coming to the Mets.

However, keep in mind that Adam Dunn may be coming instead of casey...personally..i prefer Casey.

LL

You have to take Dunn ahead of Casey. Although Casey strikes out far less, he also walks far less. Dunn gets on-base with power. Casey actually gets on-base less, and has no power.

I wouldn't want Dunn, however, because that would mean we'd give up a lot, and no thank you to Casey either.

Go for Overbay or a young, 1b prospect. Anything else, just let it slide. Mientz had a rough start, but don't forget, he was in a horrible slump. He will bounce back stronger and he still manages to get on-base, with a stronger glove than any 1b out there.

This trade helps make the Mets a better team now, but this really isn't a good trade.

Now it helps because Diaz and Soriano will produce more than Cameron and any other second baseman the Mets put in. At least from an offensive standpoint. Defensively, they are weaker and don't think having Cameron and Beltran next to eachother didn't help their pitching staff.

But in the grand scheme of things, Milledge and Cameron will produce more than Soriano will as one player. Mets need to ask themselves: would you rather have Diaz/Cameron and Keppinger, or Soriano and Diaz? I would take the first option. Only thing I am glad about is that Milledge and Cameron are big strikeout guys like Soriano, so the Mets didnt give up actual good production for someone who puts up the glamour stats. That is, of course, if the trade if official.

I'm not a huge fan of Soriano, but I guess I can take solace in the fact they didn't give up Heilman, Zambrano, Cameron, and Milledge for him. They just traded tool guys for another tools guy.

Sweet breakdown, but I'm on board with this deal. Cam is a nice player, but Soriano is better than him, and Milledge's pub reminds me alot of the way they talked about Jay Payton a few years ago. The bottom line is that pitchers now can't take a nap through two-thirds of the line-up anymore. Also consider that Soriano is essentially there to make sure Beltran gets pitches to hit, as Piazza was generally a wasted at-bat most games. IF the Mets add a decent hitter at first base, they could be ready to challenge.

I believe Casey is on base more than Dunn and isnt Dunn a strikeout guy? Casey almost never strikes out and hits for more average than Dunn who is a Hr/K guy.

What about this...If the Soriano deal is a no go...why dont we call up Anderson Hernandez...The guy is a great 2b fielder and he has a .410 OBP and has only struck out 10 times in his 94 at bats at Norfolk this season.

Just a thought.

Sweet breakdown, but I'm on board with this deal. Cam is a nice player, but Soriano is better than him, and Milledge's pub reminds me alot of the way they talked about Jay Payton a few years ago. The bottom line is that pitchers now can't take a nap through two-thirds of the line-up anymore. Also consider that Soriano is essentially there to make sure Beltran gets pitches to hit, as Piazza was generally a wasted at-bat most games. IF the Mets add a decent hitter at first base, they could be ready to challenge.

I've heard Daryle Ward as a rumored target and I think he'd be a good fit. Not real expensive and surrounded by better hitters maybe he'd put up better numbers. Definitely an upgrade over what you guys have now.

I believe Casey is on base more than Dunn and isnt Dunn a strikeout guy? Casey almost never strikes out and hits for more average than Dunn who is a Hr/K guy.

What about this...If the Soriano deal is a no go...why dont we call up Anderson Hernandez...The guy is a great 2b fielder and he has a .410 OBP and has only struck out 10 times in his 94 at bats at Norfolk this season.

Just a thought.

Please! No Melky Cabrera flame-outs.

That's the big misconception with Dunn...his OBP is overe 390, where Casey is under 360. Dunn strikes out way more, like I said, but he also walks much more than Casey. Casey is a good contact hitter with no power. Dunn, is more of a HR/K/BB guy. Dunn will annoy you as a fan with his strikeouts, but over a course of a season, you'll see that he can do other things offensively that outweigh those K's.

Don't look solely at strikeouts: the Red Sox had the most K's in baseball last year, but also scored the most runs or were close to the top.

I love this deal IF it turns out true. Cameron had been batting over his head and is very overrated in the field. He single-handedly lost us a game in Denver because he stranded 5 runners watching strike 3 go by. Now that his little streak is over he's back to being a liability in the lineup. There's no guarantee Milledge will ever become what Soriano is now. Willie was his mentor in the Bronx, so his attitude shouldn't be a problem. Long time waiting for the confirmation, huh?

This is a Great trade for the Mets

Who really knows what Milledge will become, and Cameron has been expendable since they day the Mets inked Beltran

Sori has his trouble with OBP and K's, but he'll also hit you .300/30+ HR's from 2B ... and that's huge

He'll also steal 30 bases, score a 100 runs, and drive in 100 as well

Heck of a trade for the Mets

Soriano will never hit above .300, he stirkes out too much

That was my first reaction too. And a righty hitter with inflated power numbers hitting in a stadium that can eat righty power hitters alive. Great. :?

I don't know. Yankee Stadium is tough on RH hitters HR wise as well and he hit 39 as a Yankee.

If the trade happens and Willie utilizes his speed,I like the deal.

I don't know. Yankee Stadium is tough on RH hitters HR wise as well and he hit 39 as a Yankee.

If the trade happens and Willie utilizes his speed,I like the deal.

Shea Stadium is the WORST park for power hitters in the majors. The WORST. Cavernous stadium, wind usually blowing in to knock down big flies, resulting in boos from the fans, lowered confidence, and terrible production. Gap hitters like John Olerud can thrive if they just decide to go with pitches and not hit it out of the park. But Alfonso Soriano will be awful here, I guarentee it. Do NOT make this move, Omar.

Shea Stadium is the WORST park for power hitters in the majors. The WORST. Cavernous stadium, wind usually blowing in to knock down big flies, resulting in boos from the fans, lowered confidence, and terrible production. Gap hitters like John Olerud can thrive if they just decide to go with pitches and not hit it out of the park. But Alfonso Soriano will be awful here, I guarentee it. Do NOT make this move, Omar.

Shea may be bad... but come on... Comerica is just as bad. Bush is bad too, in St Louis. There are plenty of hellhole stadiums in the land, no worries :lol:

But mostly... Mets fans believe they need a first baseman? well, I've got one! Dmitri Young! You can have him, free of charge. I'll even drive him to the air port. All you have to do is have him sit on your bench or play first. For nothing! I'll even throw in bats and balls.

Archived