The official its Monday morning and I need a new job thread

Matt39

Quick question to you guys...is a mandatory 8-6 work day(10 hours) a little ridiculous to you?

I cant take these hours anymore. I commute to the city everyday(which I like) its just im up at five to 6 every morining and dont get home till anywhere between 7-7:30. I have no life during the week!

Quick question to you guys...is a mandatory 8-6 work day(10 hours) a little ridiculous to you?

I cant take these hours anymore. I commute to the city everyday(which I like) its just im up at five to 6 every morining and dont get home till anywhere between 7-7:30. I have no life during the week!

I think its ridiculous, I would love to meet the person who came up with this whole 5 day work week, so I can kick his ass LOL. I need to find a job that you work 4 10hr days, O'well.

8-6? Hell no. Why should anyone have a 10 hour work day? It should be 8 hours maximum, and I agree rillo 5 days a week just blows as it should be 4 days a week. Maybe then with 4 days a week you can justify a 10 hour work day.

Is it a four day work week and do you get OT for the extra ten hours ?

I worked for a pharmacutical company where we did 12 hours days 3 days a week plus every other Sunday. I was getting about at 4:30am, driving 55 miles working from 6:00am to 6:30pm and then driving home and getting home around 7:30-8:00 depending on the traffic.

Now you would think 3 or 4 day work week would be great but I was spending the first two days just sitting on the couch recovering because I was so mentally shot from the week. Saturday and Sunday were reallly my only days to do something and half the time it was only Saturday because I would have to work on Sunday.

Then throw in the fact that we would rotate the shifts every 6-8 weeks so on shift I would be doing M-T-W and every other Sunday, then I would move to Thursday, Friday, Saturday and every other Sunday.

Now that truely sucked.

8-6? Hell no. Why should anyone have a 10 hour work day? It should be 8 hours maximum, and I agree rillo 5 days a week just blows as it should be 4 days a week. Maybe then with 4 days a week you can justify a 10 hour work day.

I really hate it. I have no life during the week at all. WHo would have thought I'd be begging to do errands during the week??

Is it a four day work week and do you get OT for the extra ten hours ?

I worked for a pharmacutical company where we did 12 hours days 3 days a week plus every other Sunday. I was getting about at 4:30am, driving 55 miles working from 6:00am to 6:30pm and then driving home and getting home around 7:30-8:00 depending on the traffic.

Now you would think 3 or 4 day work week would be great but I was spending the first two days just sitting on the couch recovering because I was so mentally shot from the week. Saturday and Sunday were reallly my only days to do something and half the time it was only Saturday because I would have to work on Sunday.

Then throw in the fact that we would rotate the shifts every 6-8 weeks so on shift I would be doing M-T-W and every other Sunday, then I would move to Thursday, Friday, Saturday and every other Sunday.

Now that truely sucked.

Nope- It's Monday through Friday.

Been here just over two years now...kind of got comfortable I guess...but when I think about it, the hours just blow. So does the company. What's kept me there is really the guys I work with.

Throw in the fact my base salary really doesnt COME CLOSE to the hours I put in...which end up being more than 50 usually.

Way back in the Stone Age of the 70s, there was a movement to shorten the work week to three or four days, much as existed in Germany at the time. But something wonderful and catastrophic happened in the 80s: advancement in computer technology and proliferation of the personal computer specifically. Eventually the internet and related technologies like cash machines, fax machines, and overnight delivery, to name a few, were also developed. Now, instead of working five days, you work six or seven; and you are available to your boss/job/business at all times (24/7/365), including at home on your supposed "free time". There was a time before the mid-80s when you could actually go on a business trip and be out of touch for hours or days at a time. Now, every business person is on a cell phone or computer in the car to the airport, in the terminal, and on the plane working, leaving little time for relaxation . Anybody laughing at Orwell's vision now?

I'm 50, so I'll give you a piece of advice that I wish someone had given me: Being out of work gives you the impetus to go do what you want in life. Any job I've ever lost caused me to do one thing: scramble to get a new--almost identical--one ASAP. Unless you're married with kids--which makes career changes much more difficult, but not impossibe--stop, think about your goals, then try to make them happen. I'm not talking about the follow your bliss bulls**t, but achieving some sort of career fulfillment and personal happiness before the inevitable heart attack, cancer, you get the idea.

Good luck.

I think its ridiculous, I would love to meet the person who came up with this whole 5 day work week, so I can kick his ass LOL. I need to find a job that you work 4 10hr days, O'well.

if you want a job like like become a EMT and hop on one of those AMR ambulances you see all over town.. they work 4, 12 hour shifts.. soo you get three days off plus over time

if you want a job like like become a EMT and hop on one of those AMR ambulances you see all over town.. they work 4, 12 hour shifts.. soo you get three days off plus over time

Yeah, I looked into that however I'm not good with blood and guts. The search continues...lol

yea that true.. i cant do it cause i have a thing about touching extremely overweight people and old people whose skin is basically falling off the bone

ROFL! Thats like 75% of the population in this state. Looks like you'll be looking with me.

ROFL! Thats like 75% of the population in this state. Looks like you'll be looking with me.

exactly my friend.. ive always wanted to be a firefighter but living in south florida all my life has changed my mind.. so im just gonna work on boats for the rest of my life and scuda dive as much as possible

See rillo, you never should've opened up this thread at the workplace. ;-)

Just kidding dude, that really sucks. Are they going to give you any pay past June 27th?

They'll pay me for the month of June, I gotta see HR for some options regarding benefits. I'm taking it as a blessing in disguise, been wanting to leave this sh!thole of a state.....

They'll pay me for the month of June, I gotta see HR for some options regarding benefits. I'm taking it as a blessing in disguise, been wanting to leave this sh!thole of a state.....

Wow so you're going to totally leave the state? Where ya headed?

Wow so you're going to totally leave the state? Where ya headed?

Yeah, most likely back to NY still have friends and family there. Nothing here in this state, I'm not retired yet LOL

Yeah, most likely back to NY still have friends and family there. Nothing here in this state, I'm not retired yet LOL

There is no reason to be in Florida unless you are 70+, on vacation or were born there. :cheers:

NEWSFLASH: Unless you have a union job, there is no such thing as an 8 hour workday. If you were in a union and worked an 8 hour workday you would be clamoring for overtime and end up working 10-12 hours every day anyway. It sucks for a young person that has a hell of a lot of other things that they would rather be doing, but this is today's reality. We have an older guy in the office that works from 8-4 and eats lunch at his desk every day and I always bust his balls about being a part timer. Unfortunately the work place is too damn competitive to do the old 9-5.

There is no reason to be in Florida unless you are 70+, on vacation or were born there. :cheers:

dude, you have no clue, we are all the idiots for dealing with the weather and NYC rat race up here. I have 2 friends down in south florida, Delray Beach area, and they are having the time of their lives as 30 year old single guys. One owns a lounge in Lake Worth, and the other is bouncing from one financial services firm to another living paycheck to paycheck, but neither would trade it for anything in the world. Every time I go down there to visit, which is about every 6 weeks, I try and figure out ways to relocate myself down there.

That is your opinion joe.

I would HATE to live in Florida. I can't stand heat like that year round, including the humidity, and there are more people down there who can't speak English. I would also hate living paycheck to paycheck. Some people can live that lifestyle, but I can't. Screw that. I will never find myself down there. No way.

It all depends how you want your life to be.

Ive thought about making the move. Unfortunately, im comfortable here in NY.

I would just need to wake up one day and do it. Financially, it makes a world of sense....just would have to completely start over and meet new people.

Archived