Ceddy Benson waved

Matt39

Cedric Benson's time with the Chicago Bears is up.

The troubled running back, whose relationship with the team soured further because of his second arrest in little more than a month Saturday, was waived by the team on Monday, sources told ESPN.com's John Clayton.

Before his release, Benson made one last ditch effort to repair the situation, issuing an apology on Monday afternoon.

"I apologize for making the poor decision to drink and drive during the early morning of

Saturday, June 7th," he said in a statement. "Given the incident last month, it was a particularly bad decision. I have no excuse for this lack of judgment.

Though I strongly believe that I am not guilty of any crime, I realize that the public and the Bears organization hold me to higher standard. Though my local attorneys will continue to work hard to prove my innocence, I confess to using poor judgment. Please accept my deepest apology."

The Bears released the running back shortly thereafter.

The Chicago Sun-Times reported on its Web site earlier in the day that Benson showed up at Monday's OTA and was sent home by coach Lovie Smith.

"I know that he went to practice today and Lovie told him to go home," Benson's attorney Sam Bassett said before the release, according to the newspaper. "I don't know if it's because of the publicity or because it's a distraction, or if the Bears are trying to decide what to do. He's just kind of waiting to see what they tell him and what they are going to require of him.

"His agent and business manager are doing some stuff with the Bears that I am not privy to. He knows the Bears may release him. He hopes they don't. He knows he screwed up."

Benson was arrested on a drunken driving charge in Austin, Texas, early Saturday and Bears officials said they would treat the matter seriously. Benson's attorney said the former Texas star had a few drinks with dinner but didn't think he was intoxicated and cooperated with police.

The arrest comes a month after Benson was charged in Austin with boating while intoxicated and resisting arrest. He has said neither charge is true, and those cases are pending.

At a fan event at Soldier Field in Chicago on Saturday, Angelo said he hadn't spoken to Benson but called the most recent situation unfortunate.

"Disappointment is too much an often-used word when we're talking about Cedric, and the number one lesson for every player is protect your job," Angelo said. "So we're all held accountable for our actions."

Draft pick well spent.

What was his BAC? A few drinks for a guy that big shouldn't put him over the legal limit. I guess he must have been swerving around or something though.

His alleged claim is that the cops have targeted him since the boating incident and that there was no probably cause to pull him over the second time. The fact remains, he was drinking...weather he should or should not have been pulled over is irrelevent to the employer.

Dude doesn't need his undergrad degree if someone was investing his money.. He had to be given 10-15M guaranteed at least, no?

i coudln't agree more... but seeing a picture of his yacht makes me think he didn't invest too much of his money. You have to think he was expecting to make at least 2 million a year for a long time.

for most people? 10 million would set them nicely into retirement...regardless of age.

i coudln't agree more... but seeing a picture of his yacht makes me think he didn't invest too much of his money. You have to think he was expecting to make at least 2 million a year for a long time.

for most people? 10 million would set them nicely into retirement...regardless of age.

Exactly

It's funny how we're laughing at him for being a 'bum' yet he's made more $$$ in his career than anyone. That being said, this guy had it all going for him, he just really screwed it up.

We have a few RBs in camp lets offer them a trade for Brian Urlacher or Deven Hester.

You honestly think they'll trade any of those players ?

Even tho Urlacher is disgrunted, they still won't let him go.

You honestly think they'll trade any of those players ?

Even tho Urlacher is disgrunted, they still won't let him go.

Briggs is a much better player than Urlacher anyways. Urlacher's weaknesses really got exposed on a few occasions last season, like Jonathan Vilma, he really struggled at taking on blockers, he was very poor vs the Run.

He's still a great coverage and pass-rushing LB, but IMO Briggs is better.

Briggs is a much better player than Urlacher anyways. Urlacher's weaknesses really got exposed on a few occasions last season, like Jonathan Vilma, he really struggled at taking on blockers, he was very poor vs the Run.

He's still a great coverage and pass-rushing LB, but IMO Briggs is better.

No way in hell Briggs is better than Urlacher. Briggs has less than 6 sacks in his career, Urlacher is one of those players you just don't want to go against.

No way in hell Briggs is better than Urlacher. Briggs has less than 6 sacks in his career, Urlacher is one of those players you just don't want to go against.

Sacks aren't too important for 4-3 OLB's.

Like I said in regards to Urlacher, he really struggles to take on blocks and this was exposed last season when teams began to run right at him. In a 3-4 especially he would be a liability vs the run. He's incredibly strong vs the pass but not so much vs the run. Brigss on the other hand is great at both, he is one of the more underated players in the league.

Sacks aren't too important for 4-3 OLB's.

Like I said in regards to Urlacher, he really struggles to take on blocks and this was exposed last season when teams began to run right at him. In a 3-4 especially he would be a liability vs the run. He's incredibly strong vs the pass but not so much vs the run. Brigss on the other hand is great at both, he is one of the more underated players in the league.

I can't see how you think that.

Urlacher is more important to the Bears than Briggs is.

Jones is getting up there in age, they have to be thinking about the Mendenhall pick.

Still now has three straight 1,000+ yard seasons and for all the people who bash him on this site, he was 10th in the NFL in rushing last season running behind a horrible run blocking Offensive Line.

With Jones in house, they could've had much more success in 2007 and wouldn't have had a huge question mark at the position entering 2008.

1000 yards is not hard to accomplish 124.

No **** sherlock, but,

Apparently in 2007 it was. :rl: The leading rusher I believe was LT with less than 1,500 yards.

1,119 yards behind a **** Offensive Line is a good performance, no matter what any hater would want to believe and or say.

He ouptlayed Benson in 2007 and Chicago right now should be kicking themselves and I'm sure they are.

No **** sherlock, but,

Apparently in 2007 it was. :rl: The leading rusher I believe was LT with less than 1,500 yards.

1,119 yards behind a **** Offensive Line is a good performance, no matter what any hater would want to believe and or say.

He ouptlayed Benson in 2007 and Chicago right now should be kicking themselves and I'm sure they are.

1 TD.

No **** sherlock, but,

:rl::rl::rl::rl:

No **** sherlock, but,

Outplaying Cedric Benson isn't much of an accomplishment. Cedric Benson blows.

Exactly

It's funny how we're laughing at him for being a 'bum' yet he's made more $$$ in his career than anyone. That being said, this guy had it all going for him, he just really screwed it up.

Sadly he won't be the last.

No **** sherlock, but,

Great post, couldn't agree more.

Haha I actually like TJ's attitude, and I think he is obviously better than Benson. The only reason you'd pick up Benson is to annoy TJ, but I don't understand why you'd want to do that.

Barlow kinda sucked but he had a good attitude too. Also we actually gave him a pay raise. Baker and Kendall can bitch all they want, but if you suck more than Barlow you have no right to complain.

Archived