Question for the board Fathers...

drago

What is the best father's day gift you have received? or what do you expect out of the day? I think Mother's day is a little bit bigger of a deal because women outwardly want us to recognize them (for good reason i might add) but i think the Fathers of the world are in the same boat, just less vocal about it.

I was just going to call my pops and send him a letter. I figured that would be ok.

thoughts?

Eh, for my dad its hard to shop for because he never wants anything and never gives a hint to what he wants.

However, I did overhear him saying he wanted no-show, below the ankle socks, so I picked up two packages of those as well as a $50 gift card to the local liquor store. :headbang:

Phew. Good question. It'll make all us fathers think about our fathers and what we should have done or said to them on Father's Day or otherwise. Also, what we should say to our sons, especially how much we love them. The problem with being men in our society is that--for the most part--we can't openly express our emotions, especially to our Dads. Luckily, I'm Italian and so I always kiss my Dad and brother hello. The best gift you could give to any father is a visit if you're nearby--or a phone call if you're not--accompanied by a hug and the words "I love you" or "You're a great Dad. I really appreciate all you did for me". Failing that, single malt scotch, grappa, or fine Italian or French wines will suffice, both for Dad and me.

As far as I'm concerned the best gift is no gift. I'm not a fan of "Made for Hallmark" holidays, and the ones that benefit me are no exception.

If is an invented holiday but gift for my pops cost me 42 cents in postage and a about 10 minutes of writing. I don't think that is too much for most people to do.

Phew. Good question. It'll make all us fathers think about our fathers and what we should have done or said to them on Father's Day or otherwise. Also, what we should say to our sons, especially how much we love them. The problem with being men in our society is that--for the most part--we can't openly express our emotions, especially, to our Dads. Luckily I'm Italian and so I always kiss my Dad and brother hello. The best gift you could give to any father is a visit if you're nearby--or a phone call if you're not--accompanied by a hug and the words "I love you" or "You're a great Dad. I really appreciate all you did for me". Failing that, single malt scotch, grappa, or fine Italian or French wines will suffice.

I agree, seems like many people are too interested in being as masculine as possible and forget to do the small things for people.

If is an invented holiday but gift for my pops cost me 42 cents in postage and a about 10 minutes of writing. I don't think that is too much for most people to do.

Nothing wrong with a letter or a phone call, but I don't see why we should need a specific day set aside for it. If you care about your father you should do that anyway. JMO.

Nothing wrong with a letter or a phone call, but I don't see why we should need a specific day set aside for it. If you care about your father you should do that anyway. JMO.

no argument there. Although sometimes it is nice getting a helpful push. :)

The best?

We go upstate every year to the East Worcester Fish and Game Club for a Father's day chicken BBQ. Every year I say that I am picking up the tab for everyone, but every year dad refuses and buys dinner for the lot of us. Last year I sent my mom a check in advance (credit cards not accepted) so she could pay for it without my father knowing. He was "pissed" because I broke the tradition. I told him that the tradition has passed to the eldest son now, to sit back, relax, and enjoy the rest of the evening - which included $0.50 Genny Cream Ale in cans, square dancing, and a boatload of laughs and love.

Needless to say, I'm doing the same thing again this year.

Not a bad way to spend Father's Day. Not a bad way at all.....

What is the best father's day gift you have received? or what do you expect out of the day? I think Mother's day is a little bit bigger of a deal because women outwardly want us to recognize them (for good reason i might add) but i think the Fathers of the world are in the same boat, just less vocal about it.

I was just going to call my pops and send him a letter. I figured that would be ok.

thoughts?

i just want my baby mamma 2 take care od him

so i get my grind on

One of my most prized possessions is a little scrap of paper that says "Katy loves Daddy." My oldest daughter wrote it and gave it to me on Father's Day when she was seven. That was ten years ago. I'll always keep it.

On my desk at work, I have a pencil holder and a little plaque made by my kids when they were each in pre-school. They are priceless. Now I am happy just to hear them say "Happy Fathers Day and I love you" I am in Hong Kong right now so I am missing Fathers Day, but I found a gift and a card in my suitcase when I got here and that made me feel really good.

The best gift for me is what I hear every year. It has become sort of a tradition. They get together and say, "we love you even though you aren't our real Dad". That means a lot to me and helps take the sting out of a tough situation.

:)

The best real gift? Nothing material. Just being together as a family. That is all I ever want -- all of us together.

I have 3 sons. As soon as they're old enough (next year I think) I'm going to establish a tradition of "Dad & Sons go Camping" on Father's day weekend.

I've heard other people do that, and my wife has ok'd it. Can't wait!

Archived