Who is the next Host of Meet the Press??

SouthernJet

Great read...

Finding Tim Russert’s Successor: Who’s The Most Likely Candidate?

NBC News is doing the respectable thing and not commenting, publicly, about their plans in naming a successor to Tim Russert, whose death on Friday at the network’s Washington studios has left them without a Meet The Press anchor, or a D.C. bureau chief. As a show of respect for Russert’s family and his colleagues, 30 Rock is holding off on telling anyone what they plan to do come this Sunday.

While NBC News chief Steve Capus and NBC head Jeff Zucker wisely selected Tom Brokaw to moderate yesterday’s MTP Russert tribute, with a line-up of the guests the late anchor would’ve booked himself, there’s nothing firmed up for the weeks ahead, claims NBC.

None of that means media’s chattering classes aren’t placing over-unders on who’s going to fill Russert’s slot, at MTP or leading the network’s Washington unit. There’s a list of usual suspects, each with their own strengths and weaknesses. So who’s the most likely to take the very big reigns?

Let’s take a look.

TO HEAD MEET THE PRESS

mtpcouric.jpg

Katie Couric

Pros: If anything is clear from the countless tributes, it’s that Tim Russert was as much an emotional part of his colleagues and viewers’ Sunday mornings as he was a skilled interviewer. Couric carries that same level of connectedness with her viewers, and NBC would be smart to select somebody who’s a regular with high-level politicos and somebody who can draw viewers out of a Sunday morning slumber just by showing up.

Cons: While her long-running gig at the Today show means she’ll always be a member of the NBC family, her defection to CBS News is a strike against her. That, and more realistically, 30 Rock has every right to be nervous about her CBS Evening News ratings, which continue to fall: She may have drawn big ratings for NBC’s morning hours, but her saddening performance on the hard news CBS broadcast is a more accurate assessment for how she’ll do on MTP. Meanwhile, she’s still under contract at CBS News, and Les Moonves would have to be feeling pretty generous to cut her a deal so quickly so she can lead the competition against his Face The Nation. (Unless, of course, he has no faith in her that she’d be a real challenge.)

mtpolbermann.jpg

Keith Olbermann

Pros: By far, he’s NBC’s most recognizable face these days, and MSNBC has mostly bet the health of its primetime ratings on his shoulders. That’s going to mean a lot as Meet The Press, which draws over 4 million viewers every Sunday, tries to maintain its ratings lead.

Cons: Too bad Olbermann has become, especially in the past few weeks’ over-analysis, one of the most polarizing figures on cable news, taking the title away from even Bill O’Reilly. Russert was skilled not in taking sides, but in extorting the truth from his guests; that’s not how Olbermann operates, not even when he replaces his pundit tie with his newsboy cap on primary night, despite what 30 Rock would argue.

mtpgregory.jpg

David Gregory

Pros: Without question, Gregory is actively gunning for the job more than anyone. MSNBC head Phil Griffin has placed the future of the cable network on Gregory, and hopes to replace Chris Matthews with him; putting Gregory on NBC every Sunday could increase his draw on MSNBC evenings.

Cons: Around the D.C. newsroom, he isn’t the most well-liked person. Even Russert had his problems with him. His one-hour MSNBC show Race to the White House is struggling for viewers. And if he’s expected to continue his analysis show on NBC while playing an unbiased anchor on Meet The Press, he could bring unwanted finger pointing for the respected Sunday talker from media critics all too eager to find a new punching bag.

mtpwilliams.jpg

Brian Williams

Pros: Williams would probably say yes, out of deference to the institution Russert created. Also, there’s precedent: Bob Schieffer once held down CBS’s evening news show and Face The Nation cocurrently.

Cons: There’s a reason NBC has somebody else man the Nightly News‘ weekend broadcast: Doing it five days a week is already a full-time job. Adding a weekend responsibility to Williams’ roster could be overload, spreading a single resource very thin over two very important NBC News programs.

mtpbrokaw.jpg

Tom Brokaw

Pros: Like Williams, if NBC asked him to do it, he’d probably say yes. But more likely, according to nearly everybody we spoke with, Brokaw would man MTP through the election. This would put a familiar face on NBC’s brand name Sunday broadcast while also giving the network ample time to find a permanent successor.

Cons: Brokaw left NBC News on his own terms, setting his own exit date as well as the role he would maintain: special correspondent. He could be itching to return to a regular show, but as more than one source suggested, he’s enjoying his “sometimes” status.

mtpifill.jpg

Gwen Ifill

Pros: She’s a NBC News veteran, having spent five years there as chief congressional and political correspondent, so hiring her wouldn’t exactly be “plucking from outside the nest.” She’s also a regular face on MTP, and very well liked and received by colleagues and viewers.

Cons: Well, she’s no longer at NBC; she’s at PBS, where she’s the moderator and managing editor of Washington Week. That’s a very substantial gig to defect from, though she has been there since 1999, and she could be yearning for a new gig.

mtpscarborough.jpg

Joe Scarborough

Pros: He’s proven he can transform his role in public debate. From the low-rated primetime show Scarborough Country, he switched gears to MSNBC’s Morning Joe, where ratings are not astronomical, but stable and decent enough. This bodes well for him when the possibility comes up of him changing things up again to Sunday’s morning show. Like Russert, Scarborough has a history actually working in politics; also like Russert, he’s mostly been able to transcend any obvious bias based on previous platforms.

Cons: 30 Rock would be wise not to rock the boat any more than Russert’s death already did. Meaning: They’ve got a Don Imus morning show replacement that works, so it’s not worth messing with when there are plenty of other ample candidates.

mtpmitchell.jpg

Andrea Mitchell

Pros: She’s a NBC mainstay. She’s married to Alan Greespan. Those two things are not minor issues: When Russert first arrived in D.C., he cleared out many “un-TV-friendly” lady talent, according to a source, and only kept Mitchell because her marriage to Greenspan gave her cachet. As a correspondent, she’s well respected and viewed as a top asset to NBC News.

Cons: Her one-hour MSNBC show each weekday is nearly unwatchable. She fumbles through guest interviews. Her pacing is all wrong. And while she’s an expert correspondent, she’s ill-suited for live interviews with top public officials. Also: She’s a woman. Sorry, but everyone we’ve spoke who’s close to the decision making has made clear, without directly saying so, that 30 Rock views a guy as more suited for this gig.

mtptodd.jpg

Chuck Todd

Pros: He’s well-liked inside NBC. His mind works like Russert’s: Always a half dozen steps ahead of everyone else, in conversation and analysis. Todd is a brilliant mind, and is perfect for the role of political director, a position that only recently became an on-camera role.

Cons: That he makes an excellent correspondent, and panel member, doesn’t mean he can carry his own show. Nobody we spoke with sees Todd as a serious contender for this position. Nor does it appear that he’s actively pursuing it.

mtpmatthews.jpg

Chris Matthews

Pros: He already hosts his own weekend program, The Chris Matthews Show, so this opportunity isn’t foreign to him. He’s adept at hosting a panel of experts, but …

Cons: … not necessarily hosting a panel of high-level politicos. Meanwhile, Phil Griffin is already setting plans in place to remove Matthews from MSNBC, so it’s unlikely he’d be voting to put Matthews into the Sunday slot (though it’s not really his call, anyhow). Matthews’ ratings on Hardball are not enviable. That he’s been labeled a polarizing Obama-lover by most media critics won’t help his case, especially given the recent onslaught of bias claims aimed at NBC’s news divisions, and Russert’s reputation for remaining neutral, which is so important for a show like MTP.

What we see as a likely scenario …

One of two possibilities: Brokaw will run MTP through the election and then hand it off, likely to David Gregory. Or David Gregory will take over immediately.

TO HEAD NBC’S WASHINGTON D.C. BUREAU

Wendy Wilkinson

Almost undoubtedly, according to multiple sources, Wilkinson will be named to the spot. She’s already the deputy D.C. bureau chief and handles the day-to-day operations. That Russert manned both positions – an on-air gig and running D.C. – is the exception, not the rule. According to a well-informed insider, 30 Rock is “not likely to want to cede that kind of power again to an on-air person.” Giving Wilkinson the job is only logical, and it would provide some stability to a shattered D.C. division. (Also, not naming Wilkinson to the post would almost guarantee she would start sending out resumes elsewhere.)

I agree that Gregory prolly gets first shot, Andrea Mitchell is also a strong possibility. I wonder if there's any way Tim's best buddy Al Hunt can be brought over. Gwen is also an interesting idea. Chuck Todd is the guy who I think Russert would have wanted to be the host long-term

It has to be someone who hammers BOTH sides of ths issues. That eliminates Olberman, Kouric off the bat. Brokaw would be fine with me, but he's a little long in the tooth. Brian Williams seems like a good choice to me. Russert was great at what he did, because he was a flamming liberal, but you would never really know because he did his job in a way that he never showed his bias. That is very lacking these days in the 3 major networks. That's the reason Fox News has become as large as they are.

It has to be someone who hammers BOTH sides of ths issues. That eliminates Olberman, Kouric off the bat. Brokaw would be fine with me, but he's a little long in the tooth. Brian Williams seems like a good choice to me. Russert was great at what he did, because he was a flamming liberal, but you would never really know because he did his job in a way that he never showed his bias. That is very lacking these days in the 3 major networks. That's the reason Fox News has become as large as they are.

agree,,

some scoff, but Fox is truly fair and Balanced compared to other networks,,shows both sides of aisle, and has no one as biased as say a Olberman,,even OReilly attacks the right sometimes,,

The FACTS are that Fox employs many members of the DNC as regulars on their shows. Not lightweights either. Heavy hitters like Susan estrich, Bob Beckel etc. They have a few guys from NPR too. O'Reilly is one of the few shows with only one persons opinion. This country is and always will be divided pretty much 50-50 either way. It does anger many that Fox news has been a success. They can't have those kinds of ratings with only one side of the aisle watching them.

You guys are hilarious. Fox "News" is the most biased major news source there is.

That said, I agree that Olbermann, though brilliant, would be a lousy choice for this spot. Too overtly progressive. Katy Couric should have stayed at the Today show. She does not belong near real news.

I think SoFla has a great idea - I'd like to see Al Hunt do it. Stealing Schieffer from CBS would make me very happy, but I doubt he'd switch.

It'll probably be Gregory, and it'll be dull.

You guys are hilarious. Fox "News" is the most biased major news source there is.

That said, I agree that Olbermann, though brilliant, would be a lousy choice for this spot. Too overtly progressive. Katy Couric should have stayed at the Today show. She does not belong near real news.

I think SoFla has a great idea - I'd like to see Al Hunt do it. Stealing Schieffer from CBS would make me very happy, but I doubt he'd switch.

haha

actually Fox least biased,,only one to have major contributors from both sides of asile..

but it kills the Libs that MOST of America watches,,US split 50/50 Dem/repub,,so MOST people want to watch bot sides of issues,,

hard to get at other networks,,very hard...

notice 'progressive' as opposed to MadCow Liberalfor Mad Keith,,Progressive :rl:

I'll gladly debate that with you, if you address the facts I posted. Those are people they have on their shows regularly. Most of their shows have a left and a right personality. Now, can you tell me where I am wrong ?

The FACTS are that Fox employs many members of the DNC as regulars on their shows. Not lightweights either. Heavy hitters like Susan estrich, Bob Beckel etc. They have a few guys from NPR too. O'Reilly is one of the few shows with only one persons opinion. This country is and always will be divided pretty much 50-50 either way. It does anger many that Fox news has been a success. They can't have those kinds of ratings with only one side of the aisle watching them.

anskyruben is 100% right..

further proof Fox is truly the Fair and Balanced network,,yet another DNC signing

Lanny Davis Joins Fox News

Former Clinton Confidant Follows Karl Rove, Mike Huckabee to Fox News Channel as Political Analyst

By Alex Weprin -- Broadcasting & Cable, 6/16/2008 3:58:00 PM

Former Clinton confidant Lanny Davis is joining Fox News Channel as a political analyst, the network said Monday.

LannyDavis.jpg

Davis was also a vocal supporter of Sen. Hillary Clinton

further proof Fox is truly the Fair and Balanced network,,yet another DNC signing

Former Clinton Confidant Follows Karl Rove, Mike Huckabee to Fox News Channel as Political Analyst

Former Clinton confidant Lanny Davis is joining Fox News Channel as a political analyst, the network said Monday.

LannyDavis.jpg

Not exactly the best article to prove your point:

Karl Rove + Mike Huckabee > Lanny Davis, no?

UH, thats vthe point,,both sides of aisle.. how did you not get that?????????

the attached post mentioned bechtel and estrich,,seriously, what dont u get??

He was saying that while you have two republican heavyweights you have some nobody on the democratic side. That a token democrat isn't enough for a whole fair and balanced spiel you're giving. Two big names vs a nobody is really fair and balanced.

agree,,

some scoff, but Fox is truly fair and Balanced compared to other networks,,shows both sides of aisle, and has no one as biased as say a Olberman,,even OReilly attacks the right sometimes,,

Well you're off on that one as Olbermann routinely attacks Democrats for their frequent spinelessness. And he routinely criticized Hillary Clinton during the primary campaign. I mean c'mon, Fox has people saying people who do fist bumps are terrorists.

But anyway, Gregory is the most likely choice IMO. I think Ifill would be a really smart choice though.

Susan Estrich? Bob Beckel? Those people are "heavy hitters?" LOL.

Even MSNBC, probably the "most liberal" of the 24-hour news networks, has a show hosted by former Republican congressman Joe Scarborough. Pat Buchanan is a guest on just about every show, along with Tucker Dickface Carlson, who did have a show but was cancelled because about 3 people watched it.

And oh yeah, it's owned by General Electric.

LannyDavis.jpg

You can't seriously be trying to argue that a cable network featuring Bill O'Reilly, Sean Hannity and Brit "California is more dangerous than Iraq" Hume is actually fair and balanced.

Susan Estrich is a fake who gets paid a lot of money to pretend to be the token "liberal" talking head on Fox News.

And most of America doesn't watch Fox News. This country has approx 265 million people yet at the height of Fox News' viewership they were averaging 3.3 million viewers daily. Call me crazy but 3.3 mil does not equal more than half of 265 million.

You can't seriously be trying to argue that a cable network featuring Bill O'Reilly, Sean Hannity and Brit "California is more dangerous than Iraq" Hume is actually fair and balanced.

Susan Estrich is a fake who gets paid a lot of money to pretend to be the token "liberal" talking head on Fox News.

And most of America doesn't watch Fox News. This country has approx 265 million people yet at the height of Fox News' viewership they were averaging 3.3 million viewers daily. Call me crazy but 3.3 mil does not equal more than half of 265 million.

:bwahaharoll:

So now you are a judge of who a TRUE liberal is. You people crack me up. You have every network on the tube in your pocket. The one network that throws some diversity out there is such a threat to you that it makes you cross eyed.

Taking head? Fruedian slip?

:bwahaharoll:

So now you are a judge of who a TRUE liberal is. You people crack me up. You have every network on the tube in your pocket. The one network that throws some diversity out there is such a threat to you that it makes you cross eyed.

If you want to claim that Fox is "fair and balanced" because it balances the liberal media fine. If you want to tell me that Lanny Davis, Susan Estrich and Bechtel (who were NOT mentioned in SJ's post) equate to Mike Huckabee and Karl Rove you're off your rocker. What's their big point-counterpoint show? Hannity & Combs? One guy looks like superman, the other a *****whipped accountant. Jane you ignorant slut!

numbers are numbers,,Fox News beats CNN and MSNBC all the time,,most watched news network,,always,,there is no arguing that

and yes, Fox has MORE balance,,more Dem people than CNN or MSNBC has Rep people

Taking head? Fruedian slip?

If you want to claim that Fox is "fair and balanced" because it balances the liberal media fine. If you want to tell me that Lanny Davis, Susan Estrich and Bechtel (who were NOT mentioned in SJ's post) equate to Mike Huckabee and Karl Rove you're off your rocker. What's their big point-counterpoint show? Hannity & Combs? One guy looks like superman, the other a *****whipped accountant. Jane you ignorant slut!

Fox has MORE balance,,more Dem people than CNN or MSNBC has Rep people

All you have to do to know that the media is full of sh!t is watch The Daily Show. Jon Stewart regularly blasts the MSM for their blatant stupidity. There is more to balance than just having guests from different parties on.

http://www.thedailyshow.com/video/index.jhtml?videoId=173522&title=headlines-baracknophobia

The media allows completely unwarranted rumors to be spread around like they have an ounce of truth to them. The media acted as stenographers during the run up to the war in Iraq.

And FWIW, there have been several studies done that show that Fox has paid far less attention to Iraq than other networks, instead focusing on more important news stories like Anna Nicole Smith and the latest blonde white girl to go missing.

NBC made the only sane decision they could do..Brokaw is the right choice through election season,,

then let a young gun take over..

Brokaw Steps In for Russert

Former Anchor to Host 'Meet the Press' Through Election

By Howard Kurtz

Washington Post Staff Writer

Monday, June 23, 2008; A03

Tom Brokaw said yesterday he hopes to maintain "Meet the Press" as "the center of gravity" for political debate after agreeing to step in for the late Tim Russert through the presidential election.

"I'm hoping I'll be able to hold it to the high level Tim took it to and keep it in place for whoever is going to be the next host of 'Meet the Press,' " Brokaw said from his Montana ranch.

Brokaw, 68, who was NBC's evening news anchor for more than two decades, told news division president Steve Capus he would increase his role at the network as they shared a beer on the Amtrak ride back to New York after Russert's memorial service here Wednesday. No specifics were discussed--"we were emotionally drained," Capus said--until Brokaw called over the weekend and volunteered to moderate the top-rated Sunday talk show.

"Look, I've been around a long time," said Brokaw, who relinquished the anchor chair in 2004. "Steve needed some breathing space. Tim and I were in constant touch about 'Meet the Press' and who the guests were going to be. He elevated it, obviously, to a very high position. I was very proud of him."

NBC staffers have been grieving since Russert, the Washington bureau chief, died of a heart attack 10 days ago. But Capus also faced the dilemma of choosing a successor for the money-making program, most likely from a field of NBC correspondents such as David Gregory or MSNBC hosts such as Chris Matthews. Russert's 17-year tenure was defined by his aggressive interrogations and made "Meet the Press" the premier platform for politicians looking to prove their mettle.

"Anybody who goes in there is going to be judged against Tim, which is unfair," Capus said. "The only one who wouldn't be is Tom. This is a real comfort to the entire news division. It eases some of the burden of trying to figure out a long-term solution."

Given the intensity of the 2008 campaign, he said, "this is the most important time for us to have some stability there." Anchor Brian Williams substituted yesterday.

Brokaw's first appearance on "Meet the Press" was on Oct. 21, 1973, the morning after President Nixon fired the Watergate special prosecutor and the two top Justice Department officials resigned. Brokaw, then a White House correspondent, recalled moderator Lawrence Spivak telling him, "You're our leadoff questioner. It's very important to get it off to a fast start." Brokaw would not reveal his first question -- asking Nixon aide Melvin Laird why the president shouldn't resign or be impeached -- to preserve the spontaneity.

"Everyone brings a different style to it," Brokaw said. "The fundamental tenet of 'Meet the Press' is to hold people accountable for what they have said and kick-start the political dialogue for the next week. That was Tim's mission, and it will be my mission as well." He said he would commute to Washington on the weekends but also take the show on the road.

Brokaw teared up while moderating an hour-long tribute to Russert on the program a week ago. He said yesterday that he "didn't leap" at the opportunity because he had to work out some scheduling issues and first wanted to get through the difficult week of Russert's funeral. Brokaw has been serving as a part-time correspondent and commentator for NBC, as well as making documentaries.

Asked whether he might wind up liking the moderator's job well enough to keep it, Brokaw said: "That's a Tim question: 'Are you running? Are you interested in running?' "

Brokaw insisted he is not: "My job is to get us to the election and let Steve make a decision. I'm very happy to hand this off to the next generation of NBC News personnel."

Archived