SJ Reviews: 'Get Smart'...Cute but not solid

SouthernJet

Steve Carell carries this as best he can. It would probably be a disaster with a more 'Jerry Lewis ' type comedian. carells low key approach keeps this predicatable vehicle from being horrid.

Its as best as you can hope for a very old TV remake that most movie goers will have no inkling of the predessor. It has a decent plotline and Anne Hathaway is very cool in her Agent 99 role. The Rock is OK and Alan Arkin is solid as The Chief. I did like the location scenery and they did put a big Hollywood/007 veneer to the production.

Its not real bad, I enjoyed at times, but it did drag along at times.

I would say wait for DVD unless you were a huge fan of the TV show.

For those who know the old TV series, the last scene is ateaser for a Get Smart II. Only those who knlow the old show will 'get it' though.

2 1/2 spinningredstarkp8.gif's

GET SMART WALLOPS GURU

58108.jpg

The retread of TV Get Smart starring Steve Carrell and Anne Hathaway nabbed $39.2 mill over the weekend to debut in the Number One slot for movie .

While spy-spoof fans flocked to the 86/99 coupling, others left Mike Meyers puzzling The Love Guru shaking their heads.

The comedy about a self-help Indian mystic didn't do Bollywood numbers - or even close - garnering $14 mill to open in the four slot.

The Two spot was jointly held by brawling Kung Fu Panda ani-comedy ($21.7 mill )and CGI-centric The Incredible Hulk ($21.6 mill).

"While the country may be suffering with a so-called recession, people are finding movies a fairly inexpensive way to get their entertainment," Paul Dergarabedian of Media By Numbers revealed.

That is if moviegoers don't have to drive to the theaters.

i loved the series and i did get it at the end, sj ;)

BUT

i got to disagree with you on the 2 1/2 stars sj...i laughed so hard at this movie the tears were rolling down my cheeks.

it did not drag at all for me. i was entertained and laugh most of the way thru.. i am also a big steve carrell fan..

of course the power went off 3/4 into the movie. huge thunderstorms. but thankfully it came back on.

laugh out loud funny for me..

:D

Who gives a sh*t about this movie? Steve Carrell sucks unless he's playing a 40 year old loser.

Wanted was excellent. Def worth seeing.

wow.. a little anger there, peter? jeeeez... obviously this is not your cup of tea.

glad you enjoyed wanted though :lol:

So wait, a freakin cartoon gets three stars and this movie gets two and a half? Please. Get Smart > Cartoons. It was a very good movie and I'd give it at least 3 stars... you know, if you like comedy. The one thing I don't like is we saw a lot of the funnier parts on commercial 18 times a day, so they were kind of ruined come release time.

wow.. a little anger there, peter? jeeeez... obviously this is not your cup of tea.

glad you enjoyed wanted though :lol:

i loved the series and i did get it at the end, sj ;)

BUT

i got to disagree with you on the 2 1/2 stars sj...i laughed so hard at this movie the tears were rolling down my cheeks.

it did not drag at all for me. i was entertained and laugh most of the way thru.. i am also a big steve carrell fan..

of course the power went off 3/4 into the movie. huge thunderstorms. but thankfully it came back on.

laugh out loud funny for me..

:D

My wife and son just saw it themselves since i am working I could not go - now my wife doesnt have much of a sence of humor with silly movie BUT she said her and my son laughed hysterically throughout the flick --

all depends on your humor level -- going to the LOve Guru tomorrow but not expecting much -- going for my son

I checked the movie out tonight. I really didn't know what to expect but I definately wasn't expecting the best comedy I have seen in a few years but that's exactly what it was. The entire audience was rolling through most of the movie. A very pleasant surprise IMO.

Archived