Giaints announce PSL fee structure today

Kentucky Jet

Giants to charge season ticket holders to keep seats

by Maura McDermott/The Star-Ledger

Thursday June 26, 2008, 3:00 PM

The Giants will charge one-time fees of $1,000 to $20,000 for the right to buy season tickets at their new Meadowlands stadium, the team has announced.

The fees, known as "personal seat license" charges, will apply to all seats in the 82,500-seat, still-unnamed stadium, according to the team. The licenses grant first dibs on the seats, but fans will still have to buy tickets to the 10 home games.

Andrew Mills/The Star-Ledger

Giants fan and NJ native Joe Ruback reacts during a Giant game on Jan. 13.

Nine-tenths of the upper bowl seats will come with $1,000 fees, and the highest prices will apply to fewer than 5,000 seats, the team announced.

The Jets have not announced whether they will charge such fees for their home games. The two football teams will share the $1.6 billion stadium, which is expected to open in mid-2010.

John Mara, co-owner of the Giants, said the team examined all options for financing the venue before settling on the license fees.

"We have spent months exploring our various options regarding the financing of the construction of the new stadium," Mara said in a prepared statement. "Given construction costs and NFL and lender requirements for paying down our debt, and after much thought and analysis, we decided this PSL program is necessary. All the net proceeds from the sale of PSLs will be used to fund construction of the new stadium."

The team today sent letters to all Giants season ticket holders, notifying them of the new fees. The team has also posted information on the stadium website.

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

By the way, for all those who keep saying "They will just come back and charge again in 10-15 years"

A PSL is a Personal Seat License. A Personal Seat License is a one-time payment for permanent control of a Giants home game seat. The purchase guarantees the owner’s right to purchase a season ticket as long as the Giants play in the new stadium.

BZ

The Giants will charge one-time fees of $1,000 to $20,000 for the right to buy season tickets at their new Meadowlands stadium, the team has announced.

The fees, known as "personal seat license" charges, will apply to all seats in the 82,500-seat, still-unnamed stadium, according to the team. The licenses grant first dibs on the seats, but fans will still have to buy tickets to the 10 home games.

Nine-tenths of the upper bowl seats will come with $1,000 fees, and the highest prices will apply to fewer than 5,000 seats, the team announced.

The Jets have not announced whether they will charge such fees for their home games. The two football teams will share the $1.6 billion stadium, which is expected to open in mid-2010.

John Mara, co-owner of the Giants, said the team examined all options for financing the venue before settling on the license fees.

"We have spent months exploring our various options regarding the financing of the construction of the new stadium," Mara said in a prepared statement. "Given construction costs and NFL and lender requirements for paying down our debt, and after much thought and analysis, we decided this PSL program is necessary. All the net proceeds from the sale of PSLs will be used to fund construction of the new stadium."

The team today sent letters to all Giants season ticket holders, notifying them of the new fees. The team has also posted information on the stadium website.

I have seats in the upperbowl! Hopefully the jest charge a thousand up there as well then my dad will keep the tickets!!!!!

I have seats in the upperbowl! Hopefully the jest charge a thousand up there as well then my dad will keep the tickets!!!!!

Woody would have to have a huge set of brass balls to charge more than the Giants. They just won the Super Bowl and we haven't won **** in almost 40 years. They better be either at or below the Giants' PSL's or Woody's going to have a public lynch party looking for him.

By the way, for all those who keep saying "They will just come back and charge again in 10-15 years"

BZ

Ask the Raiders Season Ticket Holders that question...

They ended their PSL program in 2006 - 15 years after they started the program & have increased their season tickets by 45% this year...

I may be wrong, but in the survey the Jets sent the season ticket holders, weren't the projected PSL's much higher then what the Giants are going to charge?

They were & they probably still are - WE ARE PAYING FOR THE NEW TRAINING FACILITY!

They can get away with that as part of the ancellary material.

I also noticed something on the Giants2010 site:

Giants Stadium LLC is finalizing the details of its seat allocation process for all current Giants season ticket holders, as well as those on the Giants

Ask the Raiders Season Ticket Holders that question...

They ended their PSL program in 2006 - 15 years after they started the program & have increased their season tickets by 45% this year...

So by your logic, because it happened to one team, it is going to happen to every team.

I see.

I guess everyone will win a Super Bowl!

BZ

I want to say that this is actually a good thing. And that there is no way the Jets can charge more than the Giants. But I haven't seen the Giants plan yet and with the Jets you just never know.

If the Jets charge more than the Giants I don't think I could pay it out of principal. 3 Super Bowls for the Giants since I have been going to Jets games. If the Jets charge more I might go insane!

:bag:

So it will be anywhere from $1,000 to $20,000 a seat, one time charge, depending on where you sit? Hopefully by 2010 my name comes up on the list for my two "extra" seats in the 300's so I can dump the 124 tickets and pay just a simple one time $1,000 cost and move up to the Upper Level. Would not mind that at all really. We'll see.

The Giants at least show some balls to announce this on what they plan on doing -Woody hides behind a survey. If the Jets and Giants do not have the same prices even mild mannered me will go crazy on Jet ownership.

I wonder what the tickets will cost?

So by your logic, because it happened to one team, it is going to happen to every team.

I see.

I guess everyone will win a Super Bowl!

BZ

I think you missed the obvious point that the guy was trying to make. He's saying it can happen and brought an example to prove it. What you just did was totally twist his logic.

Considering the debt load for both teams should be roughly the same, approx $650 million*, it will be interesting to see how everything shakes out with the PSL & ticket costs for each team.

One of those teams is going to end up charging more than the other and that fanbase is going to be pissed

*based on a total cost of $1.3 billion for the Stadium.

Considering the debt load for both teams should be roughly the same, approx $650 million*, it will be interesting to see how everything shakes out with the PSL & ticket costs for each team.

One of those teams is going to end up charging more than the other and that fanbase is going to be pissed

*based on a total cost of $1.3 billion for the Stadium.

Probably depending on where you sit anywhere from $100-200, at least those are the figures I have heard.

BZ

as I've said throughout, every PSL situation is different. There is no rules regarding it.

Just remember that the current stadium lasted 34 years. So the new one will probably last 25-30 years before the greedy owners who own the team then want a new stadium.

And the jets have an opt out clause on the new place after 15 years.

Most important for you... Old stadium- 860 urinals. New stadium- 1,350.

but probably all for women though...:)

I think you missed the obvious point that the guy was trying to make. He's saying it can happen and brought an example to prove it. What you just did was totally twist his logic.

Don't worry about it War Ensemble, he wouldn't be him unless when he couldn't go off when he couldn't back up any new information that this PSL wasn't going to be limited...

Don't worry about it War Ensemble, he wouldn't be him unless when he couldn't go off when he couldn't back up any new information that this PSL wasn't going to be limited...

So far you haven't backed up anything but with an one example and that example doesn't make a rule.

Sure, could it happen? Yes... but just by citing an example doesn't mean it WILL happen which is what you are always implying.

You are my polar opposite in that you see the worst in every situation.

BZ

I want to say that this is actually a good thing. And that there is no way the Jets can charge more than the Giants. But I haven't seen the Giants plan yet and with the Jets you just never know.

If the Jets charge more than the Giants I don't think I could pay it out of principal. 3 Super Bowls for the Giants since I have been going to Jets games. If the Jets charge more I might go insane!

:bag:

I agree. This appears to be a good thing on the surface.

If I'm reading this correctly, the vast majority of the upper bowl will only be $1,000. That's where most of the fans sit. Seems fair. 5,000 premium seats are going to get hammered. Most of those seats are probably corporate.

The Jets flyer said the pricing would start at 2,000 and go to $35,000. The Jets can't possibly charge more then the Giants, training complex or not. The Giants are Super Bowl champions, and have a much deeper fan base, with a much larger waiting list.

Man, Woody is starting to look real bad here

There are plenty of real fans sitting in the Lower Tier and Mez sections as well, flgreen. Infact, in the Lower Tier there are more fans who have had season tickets for longer periods of time, fans who perhaps care more. Now yes its great for the guys in the Upper Level if they only have to pay a one time payment of $1 G a seat, I agree, but together there are more fans in the Lower and Mez sections.

I've been sitting in Section 124 since 1998 and it sucks knowing that after the 2009 season my tickets will no longer exist. I am on the list for two more seats, which when offered will be in the Upper Level no doubt, but most likely I'll have to go at least a season or two without season tickets. Hopefully not.

And, like you said, the Jets could be asking for $2 G's a seat in the Upper Level. I don't know if I could put up that kind of money while going through college. Probably not. The $1 G seats are the only ones I could afford.

An interesting note out of one of the articles today..

While we Jet fans like to say we have a "10,000" strong waiting list the Giants have a "130,000" strong waiting list.

Wow.

Either way, I can't see a way that Woody can charge a penny more for PSLs than the Giants. It would be a PR nightmare.

BZ

The Giants at least show some balls to announce this on what they plan on doing -Woody hides behind a survey. If the Jets and Giants do not have the same prices even mild mannered me will go crazy on Jet ownership.

They're working together on this. The Jets send out a "survey" with PSL's that range as high as $30,000. The Giants then release a "structure" in which the highest price they'll be charging in $20,000. Now, as insane an amount as that is, it looks like a bargain compared to what the Jets seem to be proposing. So Giant fans are oddly contented.

Next move will be the Jets releasing a structure of their own that will be equal to -or lower than- the Giants. Or one they can effectively sell as "better for the average fan" than the Giants' structure.

Watch.

I may be wrong, but in the survey the Jets sent the season ticket holders, weren't the projected PSL's much higher then what the Giants are going to charge?

IMO now that the Giants have announced their PSL's the Jets will follow and somehow spin it to the effect that the "Jets have listend to the fan base and decided not to go with the original plan and go with lower PSL's throughout the stadium." It is all about the fans after all.

And I agree with 4H, if woody has the brass to charge more than the Giants, a rally at Hofstra is definetly in order.

An interesting note out of one of the articles today..

While we Jet fans like to say we have a "10,000" strong waiting list the Giants have a "130,000" strong waiting list.

Wow.

Either way, I can't see a way that Woody can charge a penny more for PSLs than the Giants. It would be a PR nightmare.

BZ

Well that happens when the Giants have won three championships since our lone one in 1969, when the Giants have been around since what? The 1920's? And the Giants also allow you (although I don't know if its changing with the new stadium) but to keep the tickets in the family when somebody dies. The Jets don't, from what I understand. Maybe I'm not even 100% correct on that, but there is something the Giants allow their season ticket holders to do that keeps them in the family longer than the Jets allow.

I'm sure there were at least 10-20,000 Giants fans that just jumped on that waitling list after the Giants defeated the Patriots.

Well that happens when the Giants have won three championships since our lone one in 1969, when the Giants have been around since what? The 1920's? And the Giants also allow you (although I don't know if its changing with the new stadium) but to keep the tickets in the family when somebody dies. The Jets don't, from what I understand. Maybe I'm not even 100% correct on that, but there is something the Giants allow their season ticket holders to do that keeps them in the family longer than the Jets allow.

I'm sure there were at least 10-20,000 Giants fans that just jumped on that waitling list after the Giants defeated the Patriots.

Even if 50,000 jumped on the list it is still a HUGE one sided thing. 80,000 to 10,000.

The Jets HAVE allowed you to pass on your tickets up to very recently, where I think they made the rules a little more difficult.

The joke is, the PSL makes passing tickets between family members much easier, as you own the license.

BZ

The joke is, the PSL makes passing tickets between family members much easier, as you own the license.

Actually I just got done reading that you can transfer the tickets to ANYBODY and the organization has no say in the matter because you own the seat(s). Thats about the only upside to this whole thing.

Like I said before, my times in the Lower Bowl are done after 2009. Hopefully name comes up for my two Uppers before 2010 so I don't miss any time at the stadium. $1,000 a seat isn't much at all. At least there will be real fans left in the Upper Bowl.

Archived