The Yankee lineup needs a complete overhaul

Matt39

I've had it. People keep harping on our pitching. The pitching has been better than adequate this season. The pitching IS NOT THE PROBLEM.

Christ almighty, thei team cant do the basics. Leadoff triples, doubles mean absolutely nothing.

The team is just awful in the clutch. Everyone needs to be put on notice.

And the offense has been the problem since 2004. Hell, we could go back even further if you'd like.

Its pathetic.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Exactly Matt. The pitching hasn't been the biggest problem on this team, it has been the clutch hits and the simple little plays that win baseball games. Thats what happens when you have half of the batting order just swinging for the fences 90+% of the time. Resigning ARod to the money he got was stupid and ridiculous. I hated it and this is exactly why. Sure our home run numbers would've went down, but I guarentee you we would've been better off with a guy hitting .285-300 who had clutch singles and played small ball.

Thats how the Yankees won in the late 90's / early 00's. Small ball and pitching.

Since 2004, its a team full of INDIVIDUALS that ends the year with gaudy numbers but doesnt produce when it matters.

If you watch the team night in and night out, its so blatantly clear why this offense just magically disappears come October.

In the dynasty years, Im fairly certain there was only one player that hit over 40 homeruns- Tino in 1999 I think.

We dont have guys like Oneill that will fight during every AB. We have guys that get hot, hit a bunch of meaningless home runs then follow to go in month long slumps.

I guess I'm tired of the guys like Abreu

Everythin that Abreu does on paper looks good.....but what type of player is he. Will he lay out for the team? No way

We need the Eric Byrnes of the world on this team....Shelly Duncan should be playing right now

Cant stand Betemit

I guess I'm tired of the guys like Abreu

Everythin that Abreu does on paper looks good.....but what type of player is he. Will he lay out for the team? No way

We need the Eric Byrnes of the world on this team....Shelly Duncan should be playing right now

Cant stand Betemit

Cue Lee Flowers

*aint nothin but paper champions!!!*

Agreed about Abreu.

Here is what the Yankees should do:

Until Hideki Matsui comes back go with a lineup that looks like this:

DH Damon

SS Jeter

RF Abreu

3B A-Rod

1B Gaimbi

C Posada

2B Cano

CF Melky

LF Gardner

When Matsui comes back, Trade Kennedy, Melky, and a couple prospects for Erik Bedard. Then we would have:

DH Damon

SS Jeter

RF Abreu

3B A-Rod

LF Matsui

1B Giambi

C Posada

2B Cano

CF Gardner

And for the time being you would have the rotation as

Bedard, Pettitte, Moose, Joba, Rasner

Until Wang comes back.

Anyone wanna make me take over the Yankees yet? lol

Dude

Gardner sucks.....he is Joey Gaithright

He played ball here in Charleston...I've seen him play

Gardner's minor league numbers were better than Ellsbury. He's been compared to him a lot, with the only thing scouts saying is that Ellsbury has more "upside." Melky is the one who shouldn't be anywhere near this team. He's been overrated since the beginning and I'm not sure if he will ever even be a league average CF anymore. He looks AWFUL.

LOL @ the A-Rod hate. And LMFAO @ the suggestion we'd be better off without him. You think the offense is bad now? Imagine it without A-Rod's numbers.

Gardner's minor league numbers were better than Ellsbury. He's been compared to him a lot, with the only thing scouts saying is that Ellsbury has more "upside." Melky is the one who shouldn't be anywhere near this team. He's been overrated since the beginning and I'm not sure if he will ever even be a league average CF anymore. He looks AWFUL.

LOL @ the A-Rod hate. And LMFAO @ the suggestion we'd be better off without him. You think the offense is bad now? Imagine it without A-Rod's numbers.

Arod's numbers with RISP are really something to LMFAO at.

Here is what the Yankees should do:

Until Hideki Matsui comes back go with a lineup that looks like this:

DH Damon

SS Jeter

RF Abreu

3B A-Rod

1B Gaimbi

C Posada

2B Cano

CF Melky

LF Gardner

When Matsui comes back, Trade Kennedy, Melky, and a couple prospects for Erik Bedard. Then we would have:

DH Damon

SS Jeter

RF Abreu

3B A-Rod

LF Matsui

1B Giambi

C Posada

2B Cano

CF Gardner

And for the time being you would have the rotation as

Bedard, Pettitte, Moose, Joba, Rasner

Until Wang comes back.

Anyone wanna make me take over the Yankees yet? lol

I don't doubt Bedard is on the block, but I doubt Cabrera and Kennedy will get it done. Cabrera was lowly regarded by the twins, and with the way the Melkman is playing, they have been more or less proven to be correct.

Pretty silly I think, the fact that anyone would suggest the Yankees offense would be better without A-rod. Maybe if you substitute him with Pujols. Anyway, I don't think you can measure how a team would do without a particular player other than to compare their record with and without said player. I am not positive, but I believe the Yankees have been significantly better since A-rod's return from that quad problem.

Pretty silly I think, the fact that anyone would suggest the Yankees offense would be better without A-rod. Maybe if you substitute him with Pujols. Anyway, I don't think you can measure how a team would do without a particular player other than to compare their record with and without said player. I am not positive, but I believe the Yankees have been significantly better since A-rod's return from that quad problem.

Im sorry, but your number 4 hitter cant be hitting in the mid to low .200's with RISP.

I don't doubt Bedard is on the block, but I doubt Cabrera and Kennedy will get it done. Cabrera was lowly regarded by the twins, and with the way the Melkman is playing, they have been more or less proven to be correct.

If the Yankees were to offer prospects like Alan Horne, and Jose Tabata that would for sure net the Yankees Bedard, we may actually be giving up too much in this deal. Bottom line, Melky needs to go, and we got to look through our farm to see what the teams got. I wouldn't doubt someone like Justin Christian being better then Melky. Melky is trash.

If the Yankees were to offer prospects like Alan Horne, and Jose Tabata that would for sure net the Yankees Bedard, we may actually be giving up too much in this deal. Bottom line, Melky needs to go, and we got to look through our farm to see what the teams got. I wouldn't doubt someone like Justin Christian being better then Melky. Melky is trash.

Horne and Tabata aren't going to get Bedard. Tabata has had a TERRIBLE year and Horne has been injured until recently. He's a good prospect but a little too old to be a blue-chipper that teams really covet.

Horne and Tabata aren't going to get Bedard. Tabata has had a TERRIBLE year and Horne has been injured until recently. He's a good prospect but a little too old to be a blue-chipper that teams really covet.

Tabata is having a terrible year, but he's 19 and in Double A. Name me another prospect with the possible outlook of a career that Tabata has. A normal 19 year old trying to make the majors on the Yankees is normally playing for the Staten Island Yankees right now, while he's already in Trenton. Trust me, we offer Tabata, Seattle would jump on it.

That is the problem with this team and has been probably for the past 8 years.

One guy goes into a funk (Melky's turn this time) it effects the entire team.

This is where the manager has to figure out a way to manufacture runs.

Steal a base

Bunt

Sac Fly

Double Steals

whatever it takes to jump start this team.

If it wasn't for Mussina (A guy EVERYONE buried) the Yanks would probably be 11-12 games behind right now.

That is the problem with this team and has been probably for the past 8 years.

One guy goes into a funk (Melky's turn this time) it effects the entire team.

This is where the manager has to figure out a way to manufacture runs.

Steal a base

Bunt

Sac Fly

Double Steals

whatever it takes to jump start this team.

If it wasn't for Mussina (A guy EVERYONE buried) the Yanks would probably be 11-12 games behind right now.

If Melky Cabrera not hitting is the Yankees problem, this team can pack it in now. Cabrera is an average offensive player at best. The Yankee offense can carry him in the lineup because they're so stacked, but when guys like Cano are not giving you anything. Its difficult to put Cabrera in there everyday, he's almost an automatic out these days. Fortunately for Melkman, no one else can play CF on this team, unless this Garner kid can give you something offensively.

If Melky Cabrera not hitting is the Yankees problem, this team can pack it in now. Cabrera is an average offensive player at best. The Yankee offense can carry him in the lineup because they're so stacked, but when guys like Cano are not giving you anything. Its difficult to put Cabrera in there everyday, he's almost an automatic out these days. Fortunately for Melkman, no one else can play CF on this team, unless this Garner kid can give you something offensively.

That is what I'm saying

Melky should not effect the entire team hitting wise, but if you have paid attention to the Yanks the last couple of years that thereis one theme that is inexcusable.

When one guy goes into a slump it effects the entire team.

A-Rod goes into a funk everyone else does.

Giambi goes into a funk everyone else does

Cano

Jeter

It doesn't matter. And you are right, Melky having an 0-19 run SHOULD NOT have this kind of effect but for whatever reason with this group and previous groups it does.

Cashman, a new GM whoever...needs to find consistent bats that can hit with RISP. This has been an ongoing problem since the post 2000/2001 team.

This lineup just isnt capable of producing consistenly. Feast or famine ,13-2 games followed by nights gpoing 0-10 with RISP. Im sick of it.

Even if this team manages to sneak into the playoffs, there is now way this lineup is capable of winning a 5 game series. We already know how would it would end. The same way its ended since Game 4 of 2004.

Three points:

They should all be wearing golden thongs throughout the whole season.

In a few years our OF might be Tabata/(Melky/Gardner?)/Austin Jackson.

I'm pretty sure I saw that Carl Crawford is a FA this year, I'd love to get him. He's Jose Reyes without the bitch.

even though melky is struggling, he is not the main problem here. Maybe Joe should sit him for like 5 or 6 games in a row and let Gardner play. Then put him back in and see if it lites a fire under his a$$. He has played solid defense.

Say what you want, but this team is not the same offensively since Sheff left

I miss that guy

Sheff was another feast/famine type of player. He never adjusted during different situations, counts, score etc..it was the same "Im going to swing as hard as I can" no matter what was going on during the game. Sheff was another typical post 2000 Yankee player. He didnt do sht for us in the playoffs either. Not a surprise, honestly.

Guys like Kevin Youkilis, Ryan Church are the types of bats this lineup needs. JMO of course.

Exactly Matt. The pitching hasn't been the biggest problem on this team, it has been the clutch hits and the simple little plays that win baseball games. Thats what happens when you have half of the batting order just swinging for the fences 90+% of the time. Resigning ARod to the money he got was stupid and ridiculous. I hated it and this is exactly why. Sure our home run numbers would've went down, but I guarentee you we would've been better off with a guy hitting .285-300 who had clutch singles and played small ball.

Thats how the Yankees won in the late 90's / early 00's. Small ball and pitching.

ARod isn't the problem. It is the overall construction of the team.

We need less Giambi's. We need some consistent batters. And yes, we need to play fundamental baseball.

It may take a while to re-build the team for that though.

Archived