Grant's first baseball season.

Alk

We wrapped up Grant's first season of coach pitch baseball on Monday night. I pretty much got roped into coaching although I didn't have any interest in doing it. After a couple of games I was having a blast though and was actually disappointed that the other team canceled the final game.

The season started with mass chaos. A ball was hit and every single kid ran after it. By the end of the season we at least had the field split in half where if the ball was hit to the left of 2nd. base that side would run after it and the opposite for the right side of 2nd. :) Grant was the star of the final game hitting a homerun followed by a grand slam. Didn't get a chance for very many pictures since I was out coaching and my wife was chasing Sawyer all over the place but here's a few.

l_454da96e6908e23933f0ab76e2e218b6.jpg

One of the homerun swings.

l_bd5af3d6b56b978abedeed9b18b2e75d.jpg

Post homerun. Not sure what the look was all about.

l_10db1218dac60a56d852a1e4ad7c3173.jpg

Need to work on defense a little.

l_89ca8354a7db121287c6399ff03a2810.jpg

Another mighty swing.

l_3efab4207c0427028a968ee0624e0241.jpg

This was probably the quickest I ever saw him move after a hit.

Your kid is cute and looks like he has some promise as an athlete. My son is turning 10 on the 13th. Where the f**k did 10 years go?

Meh, I'm not holding my breath. I had a pretty athletic build but that was about the only thing athletic about me. :) That being said though at this age there were very few organized sports to participate in so maybe an early start will help. I hear you about time flying. Grant will turn 7 next month. Freakin' crazy. I'm not old enough to have a 7 year old at least I don't feel old enough. :)

Meh, I'm not holding my breath. I had a pretty athletic build but that was about the only thing athletic about me. :) That being said though at this age there were very few organized sports to participate in so maybe an early start will help. I hear you about time flying. Grant will turn 7 next month. Freakin' crazy. I'm not old enough to have a 7 year old at least I don't feel old enough. :)

Keep eating watermelon to insure youth.:)

bravo alk. brings back memories of my coaching debut when my son started. he never hit a homerun though. crap neither did I now that I think about it. (angry smilie)

Well these weren't homeruns in the true sense. At this age if you're able to get a ball out of the infield you have yourself a homerun. :)

Well these weren't homeruns in the true sense. At this age if you're able to get a ball out of the infield you have yourself a homerun. :)

haha, I had a kid in tee ball who wouldn't put the bat down after he got a hit. carried it with him to 1st base. the ump (scottish prick) called him OUT on 2 different occasions

the next practise consisted of "dropping the bat" along with "remain standing while playin the outfield" and "stay out of the tree even when its not your turn to bat"

"stay out of the tree even when its not your turn to bat"

Oh my god!! That's the worst part. There were three of us coaching and we kind of alternated duties between pitching, catching and wrangling all of the kids in the dugout. By far the worst was keeping track of the kids in the dugout. We would have kids who were batting at the bottom of the lineup taking helmets so then the kids who were actually batting couldn't find one. Then instead of one kid in the batting circle the three that were following that kid thought they needed to get out and take some practice swings too. It was chaos. :)

Oh my god!! That's the worst part. There were three of us coaching and we kind of alternated duties between pitching, catching and wrangling all of the kids in the dugout. By far the worst was keeping track of the kids in the dugout. We would have kids who were batting at the bottom of the lineup taking helmets so then the kids who were actually batting couldn't find one. Then instead of one kid in the batting circle the three that were following that kid thought they needed to get out and take some practice swings too. It was chaos. :)

and thru all this some idiotic parents screaming blue murder at everything goin on like its the friggin world series

and thru all this some idiotic parents screaming blue murder at everything goin on like its the friggin world series

No we were actually pretty lucky. All of the parents were pretty subdued. I did hate pitching though. The kids would swing at anything and there were times I would pitch one too high or too far outside and it would lead to a strikeout. I felt like the parents were staring a hole through me. I told the head coach that this was the one instance in baseball where a low ERA was bad thing. :)

I have coached my youngest son the last 5 years and there really is no better joy than being able to work with him on a team, as well as watching a group of youngsters meld as a unit.

He is at a baseball camp today, and I went and checked them out during lunch, and it was everything I had to do to keep my mouth shut and not shout instructions at him.

More than anything, it is great to see him enjoy a sport that I love and have that bond.

Congrats Alk.

More than anything, it is great to see him enjoy a sport that I love and have that bond.

Congrats Alk.

That's the weird thing. I can't freakin' stand baseball but it was a blast coaching it.

That is awesome Alk. Good job.

One thing though, next year spend the extra 2 dollars for sleeves. I realize your Corn Huskers like basketball and all but they shouldn't be wearing basketball gear on the diamond.

Just saying. :)

That is awesome Alk. Good job.

One thing though, next year spend the extra 2 dollars for sleeves. I realize your Corn Huskers like basketball and all but they shouldn't be wearing basketball gear on the diamond.

Just saying. :)

:) That's just sort of a universal tanktop that the city gave out when we signed him up and they use it for all of the sports. Once the kids get a little older they go to the actual uniforms.

Who was the righty dead-pull hitter up at the plate when this was taken?

Don't know. In coach pitch, every kid you have gets out on the field so things get a little bit crowded out there. It looked the same on the other side of the field as well only it was all of the girls gossiping with no worries of any balls being hit their way.

Archived