• Eric Dickerson
    • Earl Campbell
    • Emmit Smith
    • Curtis Martin
    • Barry Sanders
    • Marshall Faulk
    • L.T.
    • other

I saw the same things, and I agree. The Bum Phillips Oilers didn't have a playbook; they pretty much handed off to Campbell. And they wore him down to a nub.

I can cut slack to moet of the other votes to various backs; They are all great, spare you know who. To the IDIOTS who voted for Curtis Martin, WTF?

Actually, of the ones that I saw, I would put Campbell at his peak behind Brown. I like the power speed combo, and Campbell really lifted an average team.

• Replies 196
  • Created
  • Last Reply
no elaboration?

Sorry. I wasn't really trying to be an ass. It probably looks like that. He was big, fast, would go over or around you, and at times it looked like the whole team was needed to put him down. He really brooke a lot of tackles. He, to me, is like Babe Ruth. I do not know how he would do today, but he was way up there compared to his contemporaries, and a lot of them were very good.

I notice Franco doesn't seem to get much respect here but the guy put up the numbers. Hell, he even usually had his best games on the biggest stage (SB, playoffs).

No way in hell i vote for jim brown. Dunno which is worse, the fact he was a woman beater or that he played for the clowns. I'll call it a tie. :)

Franco?!?!?! Are you ****ing kidding? If there is one top back I'd rate Curtis higher than it's Franco. Nobody in their right mind could rate Franco over Earl. Hell, he wasn't even as good as Lydell Mitchell.

Franco?!?!?! Are you ****ing kidding? If there is one top back I'd rate Curtis higher than it's Franco. Nobody in their right mind could rate Franco over Earl. Hell, he wasn't even as good as Lydell Mitchell.

Like i said, he doesn't seem to get much respect here. No biggie. Rating Martin over him is a joke tho. lol

Like i said, he doesn't seem to get much respect here. No biggie. Rating Martin over him is a joke tho. lol

Franco loses points from a lot of fans for supposedly ducking outside and hitting teh sideline to avoid hits and prolong his career.

Smart move by him, but he may have been the ultimate compiler.

Good PSU guy though.

I respect Franco Harris. I respect him right up until you try to say he's one of the all time greatest backs. In the conversation for top 10 maybe. I don't think so, but maybe. Greatest of all time? As good as Jim Brown? Not a chance.

Curtis v. Franco is a joke?

4.0 ypc v. 4.1

90 tds v. 91

84 ypg v. 70

14,000 v. 12,000 total yards

20 ypg receiving v. 13.2

Doesn't sound like any comparison to me. It's not like you can claim Curtis had a better team around him.

I respect Franco Harris. I respect him right up until you try to say he's one of the all time greatest backs. In the conversation for top 10 maybe. I don't think so, but maybe. Greatest of all time? As good as Jim Brown? Not a chance.

4.0 ypc v. 4.1

90 tds v. 91

84 ypg v. 70

20 ypg receiving v. 13.2

Doesn't sound like any comparison to me. It's not like you can claim Curtis had a better team around him.

c-mart played in a harder era too!!

4.0 ypc v. 4.1

90 tds v. 91

84 ypg v. 70

20 ypg receiving v. 13.2

Look man, I pretty much said the Steeler fan homer in me would not go against Franco, hence the vote for "other". Don't put words in my mouth, orrr on my keyboard. lol I did say that i thought Earl Campbell was the best IMO tho.

Nowhere did i say Franco was even top ten.

Franco pretty much ran his team to at least one SB win tho, that should count for something. Maybe u don't remember the 74 SB.

While youre compiling stats, see if ya can find playoff/SB stats for Martin vs Franco. If they are equal, u win.

Look man, I pretty much said the Steeler fan homer in me would not go against Franco, hence the vote for "other". Don't put words in my mouth, orrr on my keyboard. lol I did say that i thought Earl Campbell was the best IMO tho.

Nowhere did i say Franco was even top ten.

Franco pretty much ran his team to at least one SB win tho, that should count for something. Maybe u don't remember the 74 SB.

While youre compiling stats, see if ya can find playoff/SB stats for Martin vs Franco. If they are equal, u win.

Didn't mean to put words in your mouth. I wasn't saying you said he was top 10, just explaining why I was so harsh on him. In a different conversation I can appreciate what he brought to the table, but in the "best running back in NFL history" thread I am borderline offended that his name is even mentioned.

Funny thing is I picked Earl too. EDIT: You didn't pick Earl! You picked other! Judas! Earl deserves more than two votes.

I don't feel like looking up any more stats on them and I personally don't think Martin belongs in this conversation either, but I did refresh a long forgotten memory. Kind of interesting with the Brett Favre is ****ing up his legacy bull**** is a fact I'm sure Paul remembers, but the rest of you might not: Franco Harris was cut in '84 and finished his career with the Seahawks. He was under 500 yards from Browns record and the Steelers didn't want to boost his, get this, $385K salary!

Funny thing is I picked Earl too. EDIT: You didn't pick Earl! You picked other! Judas! Earl deserves more than two votes.

I wanted to pick Earl. I mean really wanted to, man. But that damn homer in me wouldn't let me. Well that and the fact that he did actually run Jack Splat over a few times. lol

I was an impressionable kid when he played tho, but man i never saw DL and LB's fear a RB like they did him. Too bad Bum Phillips ran him in the ground, otherwise i think he'd be right up there stat-wise with the best.

Franco Harris was cut in '84 and finished his career with the Seahawks. He was under 500 yards from Browns record and the Steelers didn't want to boost his, get this, $385K salary!

Now this is a touchy subject amongst Steeler fans. About half of us say Rooney is frugal, the other half say's fiscally responsible. It sure did suck tho watching alot of my older players get sent on their way.

Actually i'm hoping this Stanley Druckenmiller guy steps in and becomes partnered with Dan Rooney. Steelers would never have to worry about money with him on board.

*Sorry Jets fans for the long Steeler rant. You may have your site back now. lol

• 1 year later...

marion motley

tackle this bitches;

65859-004-74EE804B.jpg

Marion Motley (June 5, 1920 - June 27, 1999) was a former American Football fullback who played for the Cleveland Browns and the Pittsburgh Steelers.

Motley attended high school at Canton McKinley High School in Canton, Ohio and went to college at South Carolina State University and the University of Nevada; after college, Motley joined the United States Navy where he first played for Paul Brown with the Great Lakes Naval Training Station team. This team, full of fine players who had enlisted for World War II, notably defeated Notre Dame 39-7 in 1945. Motley planned on going back to college to get a degree, but then Paul Brown offered him a job. He started his pro football career in 1946, when the Cleveland Browns were part of the AAFC.

Motley and the Browns won every championship in the four-year tenure of the AAFC, posting an overall 47-4-3 record, including an undefeated 15-0 season in 1948. Besides the New York Yankees and San Francisco 49ers, the other teams in the AAFC did not offer significant opposition to the Browns. In the 1946 AAFC championship game against New York, Motley rushed for 98 yards on 13 carries, including a touchdown, as the Browns prevailed 14-9. In the 1947 rematch, Motley rushed 33 times for 109 yards in the Browns' 14-3 win. In the 1948 championship game against the Buffalo Bills (who won the AAFC East title with a 7-7 record), Motley carried 14 times for 133 yards and three touchdowns, as the Browns romped 49-7. He wrapped up his AAFC career in the 1949 title game against San Francisco with 8 carries for 75 yard, including a 63 yard touchdown run in the Browns' 21-7 victory.

When the AAFC shut down in 1950, Motley was the league's career rushing leader at 3,024 yards. In the 1950 season he led the league in rushing with 810 yards on 140 carries, averaging nine or ten carries a game. In October of that year, he set a likely unbreakable record when he averaged 17.09 yards per rush against the rival Steelers. To qualify for that single-game record, a player must have 10 carries. Marion Motley finished with 188 yards on 11 carries.

Motley was also an outstanding pass blocker and played linebacker on defense, which was uncommon at the time. His last four seasons in professional football, he was suffering from injuries. He finally quit before the 1954 season. He soon returned and played in 1955 with the Steelers, but after a few games he left due to injuries.

After retiring he scouted players for the Browns, and wanted to coach. At the time, racism frequently prevented minorities from obtaining coaching jobs and he was turned down on most offers.

In 1968, Motley was voted into the Pro Football Hall of Fame. The previous year, former safety Emlen Tunnell of the New York Giants was the first black player to achieve the honor, making Motley the second. In his books The Thinking Man's Guide to Pro Football and the revised edition The New Thinking Man's Guide To Pro Football, the respected football writer Paul "Dr. Z" Zimmerman of Sports Illustrated, a Cleveland-area native[citation needed], has called Motley the best player in the history of football [1] .

In 1999, shortly after his death, Motley was ranked number 32 on The Sporting News' list of the 100 Greatest Football Players.

but seriously, sweetness is my fave

I voted Curtis, cause I'm a effin' homer.

Loved watching Barry when I was younger. And I stand by the fact that I could run faster while wearing his jersey kind of like PF Flyers. That said, gotta go with Jim Brown. He's a LIer and the greatest lacrosse player ever.

For anyone thats into Lacrosse here;

Theres this story that was floating around the lacrosse circles a few years ago about Jim Brown signing autographs at a sports store in Baltimore. Some guy walked in looking for a Ravens truck hitch not knowing Jim Brown was even there. When he realized it, he went back to his car and grabbed his old wooden lacrosse stick to get signed.

When Jim Brown saw it he stood up and said "Thats what I'm talking about" got up from behind the table and had a catch with the guy in the store. Pretty cool Jim Brown story.

btw...lmfao that curtis martin is even on this list....neve rmind the fact that there are some complete homers who actually voted for him over guys like brown, sanders, payton and sayers.

curtis had 10 straight years of 1,000 yards and then a 700 yard year to end his career

nobody else can ever say that

curtis had 10 straight years of 1,000 yards and then a 700 yard year to end his career

nobody else can ever say that

He isn't that talented though. Not even close to the guys on the list. Just a steady/solid/good back, not all time great. I don't think CMart belongs in the Hall of Fame.

the debate is jim brown and barry sanders. i never saw brown play....but his highlights are definitely incredible. i voted for sanders, but i can't argue with people who voted for brown. it's really like 1 and 1A.

Sanders was amazing, but there are guys I'd prefer on my team. Payton, Simpson a peak Earl Campbell. I'd say Brown was the best, but he was before my time. I never really got to see him run.

You missed my whole point.

Why is natural talent valued over consistency? Plating at a high consistent level in football for over ten years is a feat. Guy is definite hall of fame material. "Oh he is a compiler" Like compiling 14,101 yards over an nfl career is an easy thing to do.

Why is natural talent valued over consistency? Plating at a high consistent level in football for over ten years is a feat. Guy is definite hall of fame material. "Oh he is a compiler" Like compiling 14,101 yards over an nfl career is an easy thing to do.

He never won anything to add to him being a compiler. He never had big games when they mattered most.

Archived