Day the Earth Stood Still Remake

One of my all time favorite movies. A real timepiece for the Cold War era. I know Hollywood will f**k up the remake. They almost always do. How can you ever top dialog like this?

sIaxSxEqKtA

Regarding Jennifer Connolly, she is so gorgeous that I would see anything she is in. If you haven't already, rent Inventing the Abbotts. There are two moments in the film where we males are treated to her ample pulchritude that will make you gasp.

Yeah, lets see. A 1951 black and white flim :yawn: or something new age. Boy what a toughy.

that doesnt mean it will be better,,surely you know that..it may be, but not likely,,

do you think if they remade Gone with wind or citizen cane it would definitly be better?

hey, we havent had a great qb since Joe Namath,,,see what i mean,,newer isnt always better ;)

that doesnt mean it will be better,,surely you know that..it may be, but not likely,,

do you think if they remade Gone with wind or citizen cane it would definitly be better?

hey, we havent had a great qb since Joe Namath,,,see what i mean,,newer isnt always better ;)

Ten seconds into that Day the Earth...trailer and I knew this film is destined for H-Bomb territory. Hollywood writers and directors always fall into the same trap: We have access to all this special effects technology, so we'll use every aspect of it constantly during the movie. This turns the movie into a video game with almost no story. As hokey as the 50s-era sci-fi flicks are, they just always engage me. Watch the original Invasion of the Body Snatchers from 1956--with it's creepy paranoia and B/W film--then try to sit through the horrendous remake from 1978. Other than to experience Brooke Adams' amazing beauty and sexiness, you can't.

It's rare for any remake to be even halfway decent, the only ones that I can think of off the top of my head are Ocean's Eleven and John Carpenter's The Thing.

I'm sure there are a few more but for the most remakes = total garbage.

This one doesnt look any different, they upped the graphics to make it appeal to the masses, but guaranteed none of the substance of the original will be here.

I do like Connelly though, good looking plus a good actress to boot.

It's rare for any remake to be even halfway decent, the only ones that I can think of off the top of my head are Ocean's Eleven and John Carpenter's The Thing.

I'm sure there are a few more but for the most remakes = total garbage.

This one doesnt look any different, they upped the graphics to make it appeal to the masses, but guaranteed none of the substance of the original will be here.

I do like Connelly though, good looking plus a good actress to boot.

GREAT call on that Carpenter film. I thought it was awesome and unbelievably creepy. Kurt Russell rules in it.

GREAT call on that Carpenter film. I thought it was awesome and unbelievably creepy. Kurt Russell rules in it.

The Thing is not only a great movie, but its the prime example of a remake done right.

Kept the same corp story: isolated station in alaska dealing with alien attack, but took it in a completely different direction giving it an identity all its own.

Most remakes are pretty much either the same movie with alot more flair to it jettisoning the substance along the way.

Though I gues that the problem with 99% of movies nowadays.

Wasn't the greatest remake out there, but I did enjoy Zack Snyder's "Dawn of the Dead" remake.

The original was such a low budget creep-fest that all others pale by comparison. You're right about it being a pretty good remake, though.

Snyder's "Dawn" is my favorite of all the horror remakes. It isn't too often you get a good film in any genre if it has been done before.

And how can anyone not like Snyder's work after that too..anyone ever heard of that film 300? Yeah, a blockbuster. I have a feeling his next film, Watchmen, will be a good one as well.

That is fantastic. Of all of the crappy grade B sci-fi movies of the 50s, there were three that were actually quite good.

The Day the Earth Stood Still

The Thing

Forbidden Planet

I just hope they don't substitute Global Warming for the Nuclear War angle. I'll throw up.

That is fantastic. Of all of the crappy grade B sci-fi movies of the 50s, there were three that were actually quite good.

The Day the Earth Stood Still

The Thing

Forbidden Planet

I just hope they don't substitute Global Warming for the Nuclear War angle. I'll throw up.

The nuclear threat, and inherent paranoia, are hard to beat. I can still remember doing the under the desk drill in kindergarten. Good mention on Forbidden Planet. While I'm at it, does anyone remember a 50s flick where aliens want to destroy the earth unless we stop all wars/violence? In the end, there are shots of all the evil world leaders dying.

That was hysterical. Even at 5 years old, I said to myself this is kind of pointless. Let's play dodgeball.

Like the debris from an atomic blast would be the thing to kill ya. How about the searing heat that turns your face into Cool Whip, or the mega-rads of cesium and strontium-90 that happily explode all of your internal organs. Lots of laughs those nuclear holocausts.

Ten seconds into that Day the Earth...trailer and I knew this film is destined for H-Bomb territory. Hollywood writers and directors always fall into the same trap: We have access to all this special effects technology, so we'll use every aspect of it constantly during the movie. This turns the movie into a video game with almost no story. .

aka Transformers

Archived