Jets camp preview: Upgraded o-line will go long way

alen1

What To Look For In Camp

Key position battles: Neither Pennington nor Kellen Clemens appears to be a playoff quarterback, but don't they deserve the chance to show it behind an upgraded line? Depending on whom you ask, you find some who believe Pennington has the lead heading into camp and others who think the kid Clemens didn't get a fair audition. Whomever wins the battle isn't going to be in demand on draft day, even as a backup, but don't be surprised if Clemens matters at some point. He has to get better. Erik Ainge from Tennessee is a fifth-round pick who could always find a way into the rotation as well

Fitting in: Thomas Jones doesn't need to have a great training camp because he's the starter, but coach Eric Mangini does have options in case Jones falters. Jesse Chatman bolted Miami for East Rutherford, and Musa Smith was picked up from the Ravens as well. What must Leon Washington be thinking? Anyway, this cannot be good for Jones, unless the reason he was allergic to the end zone last year was motivation. It wasn't. Blame the line. Jones was actually 10th in the league in rushing yards, so he's not done yet. Watch to see how Chatman and Smith fit in, and what this means for perennial sleeper pick Washington, who might not even keep his third-down role. And don't assume any one of these running backs pulls double duty at fullback; Tony Richardson was given big money to handle that job, -- yet another reason to think Jones is a solid bounceback option, if people want to take the chance.

On the line: We've addressed this a bit already, but let's name more names. Faneca will play next to Ferguson, and while he can't add weight to the third-year underachiever, he has to have an effect. Nick Mangold is yet another former first-rounder who needs to be pushed. Damien Woody is the new right tackle. It's one thing to give big money to Faneca, but when the Jets went after Woody as well, it was another sign of how badly the team needed to upgrade and how it needed credibility. Mission should be accomplished.

http://sports.espn.go.com/fantasy/football/ffl/story?page=nfldk2K8_nyjcamp

Interesting.

I think the revamped O-line will be better than last years but not great as some may think. Faneca is getting up there in age and Woody got cut from the Lions, whose O-line is non-existent. Brickashaw hasn't been what was expected. Mangold is one hell of a player.

Your guys QB situation is up in the air but I think Clemens will win it. He's a good player imo that needs to be given time to develop more.

Tony Richardson was given big money? I don't have it in front of m, bit IIRC he signed a 1-year contract for the league minimum with virtually no SB.

Leon might lose his 3rd-down role? Where on earth does this come from? Because of Musa Smith? Musa Smith was brought in to challenge Chatman for a roster spot, not Jones/Leon.

Tony Richardson was given big money? I don't have it in front of m, bit IIRC he signed a 1-year contract for the league minimum with virtually no SB.

Leon might lose his 3rd-down role? Where on earth does this come from? Because of Musa Smith? Musa Smith was brought in to challenge Chatman for a roster spot, not Jones/Leon.

I think one of the most basic rules of football, particularly at RB, is somebody is going to get hurt. The last thing to do is worry about a log jam in July. I don't know how much Richardson got, but it wasn't a lot. Less than $1M.

I think Beetlejuice wrote this article. Leon Washington was by far our best running back last season and still is and all of a sudden he's in danger of not even playing and Richardson was not given a big contract at all by any stretch of the imagination.

http://sports.espn.go.com/fantasy/football/ffl/story?page=nfldk2K8_nyjcamp

Interesting.

I think the revamped O-line will be better than last years but not great as some may think. Faneca is getting up there in age and Woody got cut from the Lions, whose O-line is non-existent. Brickashaw hasn't been what was expected. Mangold is one hell of a player.

Your guys QB situation is up in the air but I think Clemens will win it. He's a good player imo that needs to be given time to develop more.

woody got cut? Interesting... :confused:

After signing two offensive linemen known for their run blocking, the Jets continued Thursday to beef up their lackluster ground game, signing former Vikings fullback Tony Richardson to a one-year contract for less than $2 million.

From http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/jets/2008/03/07/2008-03-07_jets_sign_tony_richardson.html

I think Beetlejuice wrote this article. Leon Washington was by far our best running back last season and still is and all of a sudden he's in danger of not even playing and Richardson was not given a big contract at all by any stretch of the imagination.

I re-read it and it seems to be written from a fantasy perspective. They say Jones better watch his back, but he might be a nice bounce back option. Not exactly consistent. From that regard I can see worrying about Leon's production, but not from Leon's perspective. Not the most well written or informed piece I've seen.

Less than $2M, sure. A lot less. According to rotoworld and the Sporting News it's $830K. In fact, it is worth "up to $830K".

A block of cheese > Anthony Clement. Damien Woody is an upgrade no matter what. Alan Faneca being 31 is not a big deal. For Offensive Lineman, thats their prime. He has made seven straight Pro Bowls and is one of the best Guards in the league. His prescense alone make this line, much, much better.

isn't Tutt IR'ed? Musa Smith could make it as a backup FB. Both he and Chatman will have to excell on specials to make the team. I believe Chatman will be the short yardage back, but watch out for Jehru Caulcrick in that role.

isn't Tutt IR'ed? Musa Smith could make it as a backup FB. Both he and Chatman will have to excell on specials to make the team. I believe Chatman will be the short yardage back, but watch out for Jehru Caulcrick in that role.

Tutt got cut back in April. I think shortly before/after they signed some of the try-out players. Not sure if he signed on anywhere else.

A block of cheese > Anthony Clement. Damien Woody is an upgrade no matter what. Alan Faneca being 31 is not a big deal. For Offensive Lineman, thats their prime. He has made seven straight Pro Bowls and is one of the best Guards in the league. His prescense alone make this line, much, much better.

I'd be shocked if Faneca didn't turn out to be at least a massive upgrade over the trash we had starting at LG last season. Signing him was a no-brainer. I don't care that he's 31, he's a Guard, not a running back, he has at least 3-4 more good years left in him.

As for Clement, I think the cheese remark is you being kind to him. A pile of dogsh*t is more valuable than that scrub. I can't believe Mangini actually thought this guy was a starting caliber player two years in a row.

Richardson's contract is as follows:

1 year, $876,720.00

$30,000 signing bonus; cap value $30K

$10,000 workout bonus; cap value $10K

$ 6,720 workout bonus; cap value $6720

$830,000 base salary (veteran minumum) with $400,000 guaranteed; cap value $445,000.

Total compensation: $876,720.00

Total cap value:$491,720.00

The reason his cap # is lower is based on a league rule. The idea was to give veterans a minimum base salary but not price them out of the league by disallowing them to take less than that minimum. So if a veteran (4 or more years experience) signs a 1-year contract for the veteran minimum, it counts less than the amount he is paid. For the 2008 season, that value is $445,000. It was $435,000 in 2007, $425,000 in 2006, and $460,000 in 2005.

Regardless, he is decidedly NOT signed for "big money" by NFL standards. His cap number is about $20,000 more than that of Drew Coleman, a 6th round draft pick still playing under his rookie contract.

tony richardson is great and all in the short term but we're gonna regret passing on owen schmitt for erik ainge. schmidtt is a monster, the guy makes linebackers wish they never got into football in the first place, plus he can catch the ball too. Jet fans woulda loved his toughness and love of the game.

Archived