Who is the best rock band ever?

GangGreen

Who is the greatest rock band ever?  

1 member has voted

1. 1. Who is the greatest rock band ever?

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Wow, how can you not think that AC/DC would be a candidate? Their songs aren't all the same.

This one guy I know, who's an amazing guitarist said it best, when he said in regards to ACDC "Sure all their songs sound the same, but it's a good song."

I just happen to disagree on how good that song is after 25+ years and hundreds of thousands of replays on the radio/commercials/movies...etc

AC/DC sounds good, but it's just not the type of band that you can listen to non-stop for a whole day. There is just so little variation, as mentioned above. It's the same formula with different lyrics and just gets boring after a while.

This is one reason why I voted for Zeppelin. You can easily listen to their songs, all at once, and feel satisfied. They mix things up but in a way that sounds awesome throughout. They didn't half-ass songs to fill an album or anything like that. They put thought into all their songs, and the list of quality songs is quite baffling. Take, for instance, the best song thread. There were at least four different Zep songs listed there, which shows something. The greatest of bands have this variation and don't have to rely on one song or formula to sell or sound good.

Why is Guns N' Roses in this vote? They can't even get a whiff of some of these other groups.

I was going to the say the same but I figured I was already stepping on enough feet with the ACDC hate.

I'd say a band like the Chili Peppers would be more deserving.

I'm not a big fan but Led Zeppelin should get it. They appealed too the likes of carnies with BO, but they were very skilled and true to the form of blues + beat. I think Janice Joplin could have done some cool duets with this band...oh well.

addenda:

The Patriots stink, but Boston needs to be on the list.

Peter Frampton too, except for the "I'm in you" album.

Yeah, besides ACDC, Boston, and Sum 41 are my favorite bands. Not many people like Sum 41, but I do. But, seriously, Brad Delp has a one of a kind voice. I especially love him singing More Than A Feeling, Peace of Mind, and Foreplay/Long Time.

Why is Guns N' Roses in this vote? They can't even get a whiff of some of these other groups.

If they would have stayed together, they'd be like the Stones, their stuff is that good and they could play any kind of song. They were the last great rock band really. Moving on....

ac/dc? aerosmith? van halen?? Cmon.

Maybe I am crazy but The Who dont do much for me. The Doors and the Jimi Hendrix Experience should be on this poll.

If they would have stayed together, they'd be like the Stones, their stuff is that good and they could play any kind of song. They were the last great rock band really. Moving on....

Maybe I am crazy but The Who dont do much for me. The Doors and the Jimi Hendrix Experience should be on this poll.

I'm not a huge Who fan, but I see how they are in the discussion. Van Halen, AC/DC and Aerosmith probably deserve it at least as much as the Doors and I was a pretty big Doors fan back when.

The problem with GNR is not just lack of staying power. Every album was worse than the one before it. Ask twenty people their favorite Stones* or Led Zep** album and you'll get 15 different answers. Ask twenty people their favorite Guns N Roses album and at least 19 will say Appetite for Destruction.

*Some Girls

** Physical Graffiti

(Yes, I am aware they both had pull out album covers)

Hey, I can only put 10 options. I know I missed alot of bands.

I'm not a huge Who fan, but I see how they are in the discussion. Van Halen, AC/DC and Aerosmith probably deserve it at least as much as the Doors and I was a pretty big Doors fan back when.

The problem with GNR is not just lack of staying power. Every album was worse than the one before it. Ask twenty people their favorite Stones* or Led Zep** album and you'll get 15 different answers. Ask twenty people their favorite Guns N Roses album and at least 19 will say Appetite for Destruction.

*Some Girls

** Physical Graffiti

(Yes, I am aware they both had pull out album covers)

If Illusions was shrunk down into 1 album instead of 2, it might have been better than Appetite, imo. GnR Lies is underrated, that album proved they were more than just a hard rock band. And Illusions sealed that.

Too bad Rush's singer has a really irritating voice.

JMeWAtNIPxc

Even John Lennon was rocking out to this.

And if people are going to mention Boston and Sum 41 (LOL!) then I feel obligated to mention Jimi Hendrix, Stevie Ray Vaughan, Bob Dylan, and Neil Young.

I don't really consider the Beatles a rock band, but they're very close to the top for me. unfortunately I am a huge Zeppelin fan. had John Bonham not died before his time there would be no question at all who it would be.

I don't really consider the Beatles a rock band, but they're very close to the top for me. unfortunately I am a huge Zeppelin fan. had John Bonham not died before his time there would be no question at all who it would be.

Yeah, but if I didn't put them, people would be b*tching just like they have been for The Doors, Jimi Hendrix, and a few others.

Archived