It's Miller Time

Smizzy

Monday, August 1, 2005

Miller's time

Second-round draft pick Justin Miller explained the difference he saw between training camp at Clemson and with the Jets.

"It's a whole lot different," Miller said Sunday. "I might've had a couple of little breaks here and there [at Clemson]. I might've had a chance to sit around, play in the grass a little bit. But now I'm full-go all the time."

Initially the thought was that as a rookie Miller might be full-go only as a kick returner while taking his time learning to play NFL cornerback. But the fortunes of the first few days of camp suggest the opposite.

He's been rotating in at left corner with the first defense and has made two interceptions. The kick returning, on the other hand, has come along perhaps just a little more methodically.

"I've seen some inconsistencies with Justin's catching and decisions, and we'll continue to work on that," special teams coach Mike Westhoff said. "But he's a very gifted athlete. ... I like what I've seen."

Jets briefs

Chad Pennington took the first-team reins for the third straight practice in the afternoon. Herman Edwards said he'd talk with his QB Sunday night and expects him to practice in one of today's double sessions. ... Free-agent QB Kevin Eakin has shown a strong arm all camp. ... Free agent LB Dennis Haley, coached by former Jet coach Al Groh at Virginia, is being rotated in on the first defense.

He's been rotating in at left corner with the first defense and has made two interceptions. The kick returning, on the other hand, has come along perhaps just a little more methodically.

Is anyone comfortable going into the season with Miller as our number one corner? I'm iffy. Tony Stargell flashbacks.

Is anyone comfortable going into the season with Miller as our number one corner? I'm iffy. Tony Stargell flashbacks.

I think it's pretty unlikely he will start the season a s a starter, especially if we sign Ty Law. It's possible that he could start at some point during the season, but there's almost no chance IMO that he will be starting in the opener. Especially against a team like the Chiefs.

Iffy but not too much. If anything, that RAT BASTARD of a coach has proved he can put in rookies in key spots and get them to live up to their potential (Vilma/Coleman/Cotchery/Straight).

But, he is still a RAT BASTARD!

BZ

the dailynews has a way better article about Miller called "Take a flier" or somethin like that, check it out and the front page of JN actually serves a purpose with that sportsyder crap with a good article about miller from the journal news

Archived