The 7 Drunkest Cities in America

SouthernJet

7 Drunkest Cities in America

In these metropolitan areas, inebriation abounds, and residents rarely find themselves thirsty.

Quality Health News

Most cities can claim plenty of bars, liquor stores, and hard-partying residents. But according to government data, some metropolitan areas do a lot more drinking than others. Which cities are the most sloshed? The answers might surprise you (several towns known for their nightlife, like Miami and New Orleans, didn't even make our list). Read on as we reveal the seven drunkest cities in America.

Top 7 U.S. Watering Holes

These metros consume more than their fair share of alcohol-if Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) data on drinking habits are any indication. We also factored in the U.S. Department of Transportation's numbers on fatal car crashes, CDC data on alcohol-related liver disease deaths, and FBI reports on DUI arrests in each city.

1. Milwaukee, Wisconsin. They don't call it Brew City for nothing. This longtime home of the Miller Brewing Company has more regular and binge drinkers per capita than any other U.S. metro, according to the CDC. In addition, an estimated 7.5 percent of Milwaukeeans are "heavy drinkers" (men who consume more than two alcoholic beverages a day and women who consume more than one).

2. Minneapolis-St. Paul, Minnesota. In the City of Lakes, alcohol apparently flows almost as freely as the water. Minneapolis's binge-drinking rates are second only to Milwaukee's, it ranks third for heavy drinking, and the area's alcoholism rates are the fourth highest in the nation.

3. Columbus, Ohio. Given its reputation as a hard-partying college town, the sobering truth may come as no surprise: Columbus ranks second for heavy drinking, fifth for binge drinking, and sixth for alcoholism. Sadly, despite several new laws designed to crack down on drunk driving, the city's levels of alcohol-related accidents have remained high.

4. Chicago, Illinois. The Windy City is best known for its brutal winters, towering buildings, and delicious deep-dish pizza, but many Chicagoans also have a tendency to get tanked. The city ranks fifth for both binge drinking and alcoholism.

5. Boston, Massachusetts. Although Beantown doesn't have particularly high rates of heavy drinkers or alcoholism, the city still ranks third in overall drinkers per capita and fourth when it comes to binge drinking. On a more positive note, the Cradle of Liberty actually boasts one of the lowest rates of alcohol liver-disease deaths in the U.S.

6. Austin, Texas. It's the Live Music Capital of the World, brimming with well-stocked bars, clubs, and dance halls. So, is it any wonder that Austin earns a high spot on our list? The city ranks sixth for heavy drinkers, eighth for binge drinkers, and tenth for overall drinking.

7. Denver, Colorado. The Mile-High City may have a reputation for hiking, skiing, and other healthy endeavors, but that doesn't mean some residents aren't hitting bottom. As it turns out, Denver has some of the nation's highest rates of both binge drinking and alcoholism; plus, it ranks eighth when it comes to overall number of drinkers per capita.

7 Drunkest Cities in America

In these metropolitan areas, inebriation abounds, and residents rarely find themselves thirsty.

Quality Health News

Most cities can claim plenty of bars, liquor stores, and hard-partying residents. But according to government data, some metropolitan areas do a lot more drinking than others. Which cities are the most sloshed? The answers might surprise you (several towns known for their nightlife, like Miami and New Orleans, didn't even make our list). Read on as we reveal the seven drunkest cities in America.

Top 7 U.S. Watering Holes

These metros consume more than their fair share of alcohol-if Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) data on drinking habits are any indication. We also factored in the U.S. Department of Transportation's numbers on fatal car crashes, CDC data on alcohol-related liver disease deaths, and FBI reports on DUI arrests in each city.

1. Milwaukee, Wisconsin. They don't call it Brew City for nothing. This longtime home of the Miller Brewing Company has more regular and binge drinkers per capita than any other U.S. metro, according to the CDC. In addition, an estimated 7.5 percent of Milwaukeeans are "heavy drinkers" (men who consume more than two alcoholic beverages a day and women who consume more than one).

2. Minneapolis-St. Paul, Minnesota. In the City of Lakes, alcohol apparently flows almost as freely as the water. Minneapolis's binge-drinking rates are second only to Milwaukee's, it ranks third for heavy drinking, and the area's alcoholism rates are the fourth highest in the nation.

3. Columbus, Ohio. Given its reputation as a hard-partying college town, the sobering truth may come as no surprise: Columbus ranks second for heavy drinking, fifth for binge drinking, and sixth for alcoholism. Sadly, despite several new laws designed to crack down on drunk driving, the city's levels of alcohol-related accidents have remained high.

4. Chicago, Illinois. The Windy City is best known for its brutal winters, towering buildings, and delicious deep-dish pizza, but many Chicagoans also have a tendency to get tanked. The city ranks fifth for both binge drinking and alcoholism.

5. Boston, Massachusetts. Although Beantown doesn't have particularly high rates of heavy drinkers or alcoholism, the city still ranks third in overall drinkers per capita and fourth when it comes to binge drinking. On a more positive note, the Cradle of Liberty actually boasts one of the lowest rates of alcohol liver-disease deaths in the U.S.

6. Austin, Texas. It's the Live Music Capital of the World, brimming with well-stocked bars, clubs, and dance halls. So, is it any wonder that Austin earns a high spot on our list? The city ranks sixth for heavy drinkers, eighth for binge drinkers, and tenth for overall drinking.

7. Denver, Colorado. The Mile-High City may have a reputation for hiking, skiing, and other healthy endeavors, but that doesn't mean some residents aren't hitting bottom. As it turns out, Denver has some of the nation's highest rates of both binge drinking and alcoholism; plus, it ranks eighth when it comes to overall number of drinkers per capita.

Well, duh! There's a pub on every other street corner, a college every 1/4 mile and half of the locals are called "Sully." C'mon now.....;)

Well, duh! There's a pub on every other street corner, a college every 1/4 mile and half of the locals are called "Sully." C'mon now.....;)

I guess the drunken Jet fans would fit in nicely there with the alcoholic Pat fans.

Well, it's Texas! Home of the steer and beer, longhorn and longneck. Every grocery store, gas station, whatever sells beer and wine, and you can buy it any time except Sun 12 am to noon. Plus, 50,000 students at UT right next to downtown. Though most of the "Bubba"'s live outside of Austin.

"heavy drinkers" (men who consume more than two alcoholic beverages a day and women who consume more than one).

You're telling me that if I drink 2 beers a day I'm a heavy drinker? Please.....

Originally Posted by SouthernJet viewpost.gif

"heavy drinkers" (men who consume more than two alcoholic beverages a day and women who consume more than one).

You're telling me that if I drink 2 beers a day I'm a heavy drinker? Please.....

If that includes wine, this entire country isn't making it past lunch.

haha,,actually, medically, yes. A person who feels 'physically/mentally' in need of ONE drink a day is considered a problem drinker.

2 drinks a day is a warning sign.

90 % of drinkers are weekend social drinkers. Most peop;le do not drink during traditional work week.

90% of drinkers are weekend social drinkers. Most people do not drink during traditional work week.

Really? I find that hard to believe. I enjoy a beer or two after work most days.

its the truth..

didnt say I agree with iots aproblem, but MOST people past adolesence, drink on weekends only

What say you, JN post-adolescents? Who enjoys a drink or two after work most days? Who only binges on the weekends?

What say you, JN post-adolescents? Who enjoys a drink or two after work most days? Who only binges on the weekends?

who said binges,,most post adolesnets dont binge either,,they take social drinks on weekend,,ie with dinner , friends etc..

daily drinks and binging is not the norm,,

daily drinks and binging is not the norm,,

Okay, daily drinks may not be the norm. I'll go under the assumption that you're right.

But maybe daily drinking should be the norm:

"In a study of nearly 88,000 men, Harvard researchers found that drinking reduced risk of coronary heart disease (CHD) risk among both diabetics and non-diabetics. Weekly consumption of alcohol reduced CHD risk by one-third (33%) while daily consumption reduced the risk by over half (58%) among diabetics. For non-diabetics, weekly consumption reduced CHD risk by 18% while daily consumption reduced the risk by 39%."

"An Italian study of 1,536 men aged 45-65 found that about two (2) years of life were gained by moderate drinkers (1-4 drinks per day) in comparison with occasional and heavy drinkers."

"A study of 18,455 males from the Physicians Health Study revealed that those originally consuming one drink per week or less who increased their consumption to six drinks per week or less has a 29% reduction in CVD risk compared to those who did not increase their consumption. Men originally consuming 1-6 drinks per week who increased their consumption moderately has a 15% decrease in CVD risk compared to those who made no change."

"Harvard researchers concluded about coronary heart disease that 'Consumption of one or two drinks of beer, wine, or liquor per day has corresponded to a reduction in risk of approximately 20-40%.'"

"After reviewing the research, Dr. David Whitten reported that 'The studies that have been done show pretty clearly that the chances of suffering cardiac death are dramatically reduced by drinking' one or two drinks a day and asserted that 'We don't have any drugs that are as good as alcohol.'"

Read more here:

http://www2.potsdam.edu/hansondj/alcoholandhealth.html

Okay, daily drinks may not be the norm. I'll go under the assumption that you're right.

But maybe daily drinking should be the norm:

"In a study of nearly 88,000 men, Harvard researchers found that drinking reduced risk of coronary heart disease (CHD) risk among both diabetics and non-diabetics. Weekly consumption of alcohol reduced CHD risk by one-third (33%) while daily consumption reduced the risk by over half (58%) among diabetics. For non-diabetics, weekly consumption reduced CHD risk by 18% while daily consumption reduced the risk by 39%."

"An Italian study of 1,536 men aged 45-65 found that about two (2) years of life were gained by moderate drinkers (1-4 drinks per day) in comparison with occasional and heavy drinkers."

"A study of 18,455 males from the Physicians Health Study revealed that those originally consuming one drink per week or less who increased their consumption to six drinks per week or less has a 29% reduction in CVD risk compared to those who did not increase their consumption. Men originally consuming 1-6 drinks per week who increased their consumption moderately has a 15% decrease in CVD risk compared to those who made no change."

"Harvard researchers concluded about coronary heart disease that 'Consumption of one or two drinks of beer, wine, or liquor per day has corresponded to a reduction in risk of approximately 20-40%.'"

"After reviewing the research, Dr. David Whitten reported that 'The studies that have been done show pretty clearly that the chances of suffering cardiac death are dramatically reduced by drinking' one or two drinks a day and asserted that 'We don't have any drugs that are as good as alcohol.'"

Read more here:

http://www2.potsdam.edu/hansondj/alcoholandhealth.html

i am not counting a glass of wine with dinner,,i thought u were referring to several beers, hard drink daily etc..

i am not counting a glass of wine with dinner,,i thought u were referring to several beers, hard drink daily etc..

No sir. Just a drink or two with dinner every day, whether it's wine, beer, booze. Sorry if I misled.

Glass or two of wine (or beer) with dinner. On weekends, maybe an extra glass, plus a shot of grappa or limoncello or a cafe correto. I would say close to 90% of this country drinks that way. There is much less binge drinking than in the States, but much more drinking.

As for the health benefits of a drink or two per day, IMO, that is due, in great part, to reduced stress from not obsessing over it. If you want a drink or two fine.

Glass or two of wine (or beer) with dinner. On weekends, maybe an extra glass, plus a shot of grappa or limoncello or a cafe correto. I would say close to 90% of this country drinks that way. There is much less binge drinking than in the States, but much more drinking.

As for the health benefits of a drink or two per day, IMO, that is due, in great part, to reduced stress from not obsessing over it. If you want a drink or two fine.

What is that? (a Napoli mi ricordi che prendiamo cafe stretto o cafe lungo, ma correto?). For me in the am, it is always a stretto.

And btw, you just made me homesick by mentioning limoncello. No worries though, I will be in Ischia drinking limoncello next week!

On topic: everyone should drink a little wine each day. I have uncles that never binge-drank in their lives but drink 1 or 2 glasses a day. They are in their late seventies and look about 20 years younger with no real health problems.

Binge drinking messes you up so remember to do it in moderation. ;)

What is that? (a Napoli mi ricordi che prendiamo cafe stretto o cafe lungo, ma correto?). For me in the am, it is always a stretto.

And btw, you just made me homesick by mentioning limoncello. No worries though, I will be in Ischia drinking limoncello next week!

On topic: everyone should drink a little wine each day. I have uncles that never binge-drank in their lives but drink 1 or 2 glasses a day. They are in their late seventies and look about 20 years younger with no real health problems.

Binge drinking messes you up so remember to do it in moderation. ;)

At the next Jets tailgate no shots then Raffy?

Archived