Stay Classy New York.......not

PFSIKH

Waiting for the NY spin machine to justify this.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/allstar08/news/story?id=3491135

Red Sox closer Jonathan Papelbon blamed the New York media for creating a firestorm that resulted in his pregnant wife being threatened on Tuesday.

MLB.com reported that during a red carpet parade for the All-Star Game that went down Sixth Avenue in Manhattan, Papelbon and his wife Ashley were bombarded by insults from fans.

"I feel like I needed to be in a bullet-proof car," Papelbon said, according to the Web site. "My wife is pregnant and she's getting her life threatened. It's stupid."

Papelbon had said that he would welcome closing out the All-Star Game at Yankee Stadium even though its the home field of Mariano Rivera.

"I've said from the very beginning, since two days ago, and talked to Tito [Red Sox manager Terry Francona] about it, I said, 'I want Mariano to close.' I understand what it's about to pay your dues in this game and what it's about to put in your time," Papelbon said, according to the Web site. "If you were to ask me, of course I wanted to close. That's my competitive nature."

Papelbon said he was shocked when he saw a New York Daily News headline that read "PAPELBUM! Red Sox reliever says he, not Mariano, should close tonight's All-Star Game."

"That was an easy headline for that [newspaper] to say, 'Yeah, Papelbon said he wants to close.' Yeah, of course I do," Papelbon said, according to the site. "That's my competitive nature. But I'm stepping away and saying I don't need to close."

Papelbon told MLB.com that he was so disturbed by the parade incident that he didn't even care if he pitched on Tuesday.

"Your family gets involved like that and you're trying to enjoy an experience with your family, and you have a wife who's pregnant who doesn't feel safe riding in a red-carpet event, you know what I mean? How would you feel?" Papelbon said, according to MLB.com.

Papelbon did pitch and received a harsh welcome when he entered in the All-Star Game in the eighth inning.

The crowd of 55,632 chanted "Overrated" with Papelbon on the mound, and sounded almost pleased when he allowed Adrian Gonzalez's go-ahead sacrifice fly.

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply

F that cokehead. Who cares. The guy is a POS. And I seriously doubt the his wife was getting her life threatned down 6th Avenue.

And if a Yankee said the same remarks- someone in Boston probably would have taken his life.

Speaking of classy- how about the Boston fans celebrating the Celtics championship?

Papelbon is an ahole. Who cares.

haha. This dude is MAD.

Papelbon insisted, "I said that I was pulling for Rivera to close the game." But then, pointing to Angels closer Francisco Rodriguez, who was sitting quietly in the locker next to his, Papelbon added: "I mean, I want to close the game, you think this dude here doesn't want to close the game?"

Rodriguez looked up and blinked but said nothing. Four lockers away, Rivera was sitting inside his corner locker. If he could hear Papelbon raising his voice, he didn't let on.

A little later, Red Sox hitting coach Dave Magadan came by and put a hand on each of .Papelbon's shoulders and quietly talked to him for awhile, suggesting he cool down

Papelbon nodded. Magadan left. "It just pisses me off," .Papelbon muttered again.

Grow the **** up papelbom, and stop being so insecure.

Insecure? Naive to the press? Yes. Insecure? No. He said he wants to close. Gee, what do I want my closer to say? I want him to want the ball with the game on the line. Then the press took it to the Nth degree.

F that cokehead. Who cares. The guy is a POS. And I seriously doubt the his wife was getting his life threatned down 6th Avenue.

And if a Yankee said the same remarks- someone in Boston probably would have taken his life.

Speaking of classy- how about the Boston fans celebrating the Celtics championship?

Papelbon is an ahole. Who cares.

PPPuuuhhllleeeeaaaassseeee!!!!!! Yankee fans on this board have suggested not wearing a Sox jersey into the stadium.

It's funny, Toto. I don't remember you being so whiny.

Your boy stirred up **** and now he's crying because some of it got on him. I don't believe anyone threatened a pregnant woman's life. I believe Papelbon is a lying bag of **** who tried a tough guy act, then found he didn't have the balls to back it up.

People need to move on from this. I mean if you didn't want to close in this game there was something wrong. Everyone knew Mo would get the shot and there wasn't even an opportunity. Just move on from it and let it go.

Agreed. Including Papelbon.

Fruity Pebbles should have said nothing prior to the game......Mo didn't say "I should close the game" He just did what his manager thought was right

Now Pabbles took a beating during the red Carpet...but o the other hand, Tito, Ortiz and others were actually getting cheered, in NY during the pararde.....yet you only bring up Pabbleberries self inflicted booing

F-him....he deserved it

Imagine if Jeter or ARod had to take a parade route down Boylston St?

It's funny, Toto. I don't remember you being so whiny.

Your boy stirred up **** and now he's crying because some of it got on him. I don't believe anyone threatened a pregnant woman's life. I believe Papelbon is a lying bag of **** who tried a tough guy act, then found he didn't have the balls to back it up.

Exactly. Ray Kelly was there and NY takes these events very seriously. Nobody was getting near him. His life was threatened.

He taunted MILLIONS of people with his comments, he always does. Then he whines that he got called names.

Cry me a river.

One thing about Francona -- he was (and always is) ALL CLASS. Seriously I don't have a bad word to say about him. Replacing the Yankees mid inning was way over and above what would be expected.

Nice move, letting them get an ovation like that.

Fruity Pebbles should have said nothing prior to the game......Mo didn't say "I should close the game" He just did what his manager thought was right

Yes, he did. Rivera said he would not be upset if it were not him, but admitted, "We're here at Yankee Stadium and I should get the shot."

And there is a difference between heckling Papelbon and heckling his pregnant wife.

Yes, he did. Rivera said he would not be upset if it were not him, but admitted, "We're here at Yankee Stadium and I should get the shot."

And there is a difference between heckling Papelbon and heckling his pregnant wife.

Do you think it is a smart move to talk smack at a city of millions and have your pregnant wife be a part of a parade? Nobody got hurt. Nobody did anything physically. That would be wrong.

I don't think he is all that smart.

At the point in time you are making River Dance videos on the mound I think you deserve any verbal abuse that is sent your way.

Rivera isn't simply an up-and-coming, great closer going into the house of the GOAT, in the last season at the stadium, and wanting to steal the spotlight from him.

Sorry, but if he didn't think he wasn't going to get any **** for that--even his wife (and don't tell me a Yankee player's family has never been heckled in Boston)--then that's a new low in terms of intelligence for him.

As Max notes, there was zero chance he'd get hurt here,other than getting too much sand in his vagina. What a freaking baby. Oh, someone said some nasty stuff, which if you're a Yankee fan (or even simply a New Yorker)in Boston, is the least of it. The Yankees and NYPD ran a professional event, as opposed to that cheapskate roll-up-the-sidewalks at 1 AM bleed you white operation 250 miles to the north of here and their dump of a "park". Papelbum is so insulated and treated like royalty in Boston that he assumed that translated here; it doesn't work that way. I'd note Rivera said nothing at all, which is how Papelbum should've handled this whole thing anyway.

I also heard that there were things thrown at them during that silly parade.

I understand the hatred between the two fanbases and I understand how poeple distort things in order to fuel the fury......but HE WAS WITH HIS PREGNANT WIFE. Not sure how comfortable any of you would be parading down fifth avenue (or whatever avenue it was) having death threats made towards you and your PREGNANT WIFE as well as having things thrown at you and your PREGNANT WIFE. Really now, I though chivalry was on life support - not dead. I may be wrong.

Lets be real here - the sh*t storm was created by a NY Writer. As I've stated before - Paps is an idiot - but sporst writers SHOULD NEVER BE TRUSTED.

What kind of closer would Paps be if he didn't want to close in the All-Star game? Nonetheless a very historic one?

Bottom line is Paps said he wanted to close, not that he should. He said, multiple times, that Rivera should close.

Who is Jonathan Papelbon? He's been in the league for 2 years.

Only you could defend him. He should have never opened his mouth to the media on the subject, bottom line.

And there's no way a guy like him is going to have a long career. It wont last.

I understand the hatred between the two fanbases and I understand how poeple distort things in order to fuel the fury......but HE WAS WITH HIS PREGNANT WIFE. Not sure how comfortable any of you would be parading down fifth avenue (or whatever avenue it was) having death threats made towards you and your PREGNANT WIFE as well as having things thrown at you and your PREGNANT WIFE. Really now, I though chivalry was on life support - not dead. I may be wrong.

Lets be real here - the sh*t storm was created by a NY Writer. As I've stated before - Paps is an idiot - but sporst writers SHOULD NEVER BE TRUSTED.

The Daily News is a reputable paper that only hires the best of the best. Retract that statement of yours now.

:P

Barton, I have to disagree with you there. He's a great closer and will have a great career. And I don't see why people are upset at Papelbon, he was giving Mo the credit he deserves. He was showing the veteran the respect.

Toolbags as big as him just dont last.

And he did NOTHING to show Mo respect. If he would have never said a word, he would have shown respect. Get real.

There's a Papelbon every 2 years. They come and go. I still only see 1 Mo still standing.

Only you could defend him. He should have never opened his mouth to the media on the subject, bottom line.

The players are required to participate in a mandatroy press session - Papelbon was asked a question and he answered.

Some of you will just get your craw up about almost anything. He said he wanted to close because it's in his competitive nature, but understands it's the Godfather's time (Mo Rivera). ....and this gets him and his PREGNANT WIFE grief and things thrown at them. Seriously, what is wrong with you all? Chant "over-rated" all you want. Call him a d-bag.....but assulting him verbally and physically when he is alongside his PREGNANT WIFE? Unacceptable. I don't give a crap what spin you put on it, it's wrong.

The players are required to participate in a mandatroy press session - Papelbon was asked a question and he answered.

Some of you will just get your craw up about almost anything. He said he wanted to close because it's in his competitive nature, but understands it's the Godfather's time (Mo Rivera). ....and this gets him and his PREGNANT WIFE grief and things thrown at them. Seriously, what is wrong with you all? Chant "over-rated" all you want. Call him a d-bag.....but assulting him verbally and physically when he is alongside his PREGNANT WIFE? Unacceptable. I don't give a crap what spin you put on it, it's wrong.

And Papelbon feels the need to remind us that he's competitive and that he wants to close....Why exactly?

Oh, because he's a giant tool.

What a load of crap. It's not the fault of the guy who talked ****. It's the fault of the guy who reported it. Right.

As for the PREGNANT WIFE, he should have left her fat ass at home if he didn't want her ears assaulted.

What a load of crap. It's not the fault of the guy who talked ****. It's the fault of the guy who reported it. Right.

As for the PREGNANT WIFE, he should have left her fat ass at home if he didn't want her ears assaulted.

So you are excusing NY fans re-action? That is pathetic. :bag:

Yelling at players comes with the territory. Yelling at their wives and/or children is f'ing sad. I seem to remember a bunch of you taking Celtic fans to task when they got on Kidd's wife a few years back. There is no difference. Those Celtic fans were a disgrace. Just as an low life POS Yankee fan that yelled at Papelbon when he was in the prescence of his wife.

I have a question Bob. If I called you a piece of $hit and said I wanted to kill you when you were with your daughter would you mind? Somehow I doubt it.

And Papelbon feels the need to remind us that he's competitive and that he wants to close....Why exactly?

Oh, because he's a giant tool.

You people are ridiculous.

While his tact might have been lacking, he said exactly what I would want my closer to say. If you want a Pavano hemming and hawing, good luck with that.

Archived