fall foliage help in vermont

joewilly

NE foliage works its way down - so Vermont's "peak" times should be the last week of September and the first week or two of October. However, there has been a lot of rain this summer - meaning the colors will be intense - but that peak may be earlier than usual.

Best place? Anywhere in the middle of the green mountains.

THILicense2_1.jpg

Skip Vermont and come to the Catskills. First two weeks of October are peak.

Stop by the house and I'll treat you to some homebrew.

we're gonna do vermont this oct for hiking & fall foliage.

I can't thank Garb enough for all her good advice last year (white mts in NH)

& am hoping afo or anyone else can reccomend the best area & times

thanks

Hi JoeWilly

I have skied Killington, Okemo, SugarBush, Mt Snow, Jay Peak and most all of the the resorts in VT. Nothing beats Vermont!!! There are tons of little bed and breakfast places if you plan to stay up there. Being you mention hiking...consider the Appalachian trail as it goes right through the Green Mts. Go early Oct. Some years I have skied there in late Oct. Bur-r-r-r-r!

www.appalachiantrail.org/vermont

Have fun.

Skip Vermont and come to the Catskills. First two weeks of October are peak.

Stop by the house and I'll treat you to some homebrew.

thanks Bob but the catskills are a little too close to my family. We would feel way to guilty being so close & not hanging out with them. We really enjoyed our time together (just me & mrs willy) last year doin whatever we wanted whenever we wanted.

NE foliage works its way down - so Vermont's "peak" times should be the last week of September and the first week or two of October. However, there has been a lot of rain this summer - meaning the colors will be intense - but that peak may be earlier than usual.

THILicense2_1.jpg

thanks garb, is woodstock in the green mts? i'll take yer good advise again this year

Hi JoeWilly

I have skied Killington, Okemo, SugarBush, Mt Snow, Jay Peak and most all of the the resorts in VT. Nothing beats Vermont!!! There are tons of little bed and breakfast places if you plan to stay up there. Being you mention hiking...consider the Appalachian trail as it goes right through the Green Mts. Go early Oct. Some years I have skied there in late Oct. Bur-r-r-r-r!

www.appalachiantrail.org/vermont

Have fun.

cool & thanks jojetsue. we're hooked on renting a home when we travel these days. the last few times have worked out brilliantly & I highly reccomend it

have you skiied the rocky mts yet?

thanks garb, is woodstock in the green mts? i'll take yer good advise again this year

Yes. And there are lot's of those covered bridges you see in postcards too.

Like this:

001544_l.jpg

Chicks dig covered bridges. I think it has something to do with the book/flick The Bridges of Madison County....anway, enjoy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

THILicense2_1.jpg

how would you know?, you have nevah stepped foot in Vermont, or are

you a closet birkenstock gal?, so along with being a tranny.......;)

we're gonna do vermont this oct for hiking & fall foliage.

I can't thank Garb enough for all her good advice last year (white mts in NH)

& am hoping afo or anyone else can reccomend the best area & times

thanks

Are you going to fly into Manchester, NH? If you can I would highly recommend it as the Airport is only a 20 minute drive to Route 89 which will take you to Vermont.

how would you know?, you have nevah stepped foot in Vermont, or are

you a closet birkenstock gal?, so along with being a tranny.......;)

I've been there enough times to know what's up. Have done weekends there in the Fall and the Winter. Three days in a row is about as much as I can take. It's beautiful in the fall. It's pretty in the winter too - until you realize it's FRICKIN' WINTER! LOL!

A closet birkenstock gal??? Dear Gawd! I'd rather become a Jets fan and that 'aint nevah happening!

I have camped in Vermont - actually, I've camped all over New England. WAY back in the day. You know, when I was young and stupid and high - LOL!

I've been there enough times to know what's up. Have done weekends there in the Fall and the Winter. Three days in a row is about as much as I can take. It's beautiful in the fall. It's pretty in the winter too - until you realize it's FRICKIN' WINTER! LOL!

A closet birkenstock gal??? Dear Gawd! I'd rather become a Jets fan and that 'aint nevah happening!

I have camped in Vermont - actually, I've camped all over New England. WAY back in the day. You know, when I was young and stupid and high - LOL!

you mean high on life...right

you mean high on life...right

No.

Could you imagine me camping now? That would be hysterical. Sleeping in a tent with a handgun in case some racoon comes a calling....applying bug spray every ten seconds....putting egyption cotton sheeps on an air mattress.

No wonder there was doobage! :D

Yes. And there are lot's of those covered bridges you see in postcards too.

Like this:

001544_l.jpg

Chicks dig covered bridges. I think it has something to do with the book/flick The Bridges of Madison County....anway, enjoy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

There's lots of good hiking plus the bridges in the Bennington area. Lot's of history there of course as well.

JW- take rt 100, this rt goes north/south and goes from one ski area to another, Okemo to Killington to sugarbush to Stowe..

very picturesque and i'm sure you will find a covered bridge along the way

to jump on Mrs JW bones.

Many many moons ago, mid-90's, went out to Mad River Glen area in the summer and it was beautiful even then. Quaint little towns, antiquing, shopping, etc. Yup, lots of covered bridges and good hiking spots if you're into that. Went with my boyfriend* at the time, a friend of his had a ski lodge and we went up to just check on things and stayed 4 days.

Of course, Ben & Jerry's ice cream was sold on every friggin corner.

*Max owes me rep.

The white mountains of NH is an unbelievable site to see in October. never been to Vermont before. I saw a bear (looked like a dog from far away, but when it got closer we took off), and a moose. good times!

Have fun JW!

The white mountains of NH is an unbelievable site to see in October. never been to Vermont before. I saw a bear (looked like a dog from far away, but when it got closer we took off), and a moose. good times!

Have fun JW!

thats no lie bp. last oct we had a brilliant trip hiking thru the white mts. we had deer right in the backyard of where we stayed.

hoping vermont will be as much fun.

You could be right. Vermont IS a bit prettier than New Hampshire. The people are scarier though ;)

have you noticed all the bikers in NH, none of which wear helmets!!!

there are also quite a few unibombers hanging out in NH. Live free or die

is taken to extreme IMO.

have you noticed all the bikers in NH, none of which wear helmets!!!

there are also quite a few unibombers hanging out in NH. Live free or die

is taken to extreme IMO.

...that is true only in certain parts - and they are few and far between. Cripes, Southern New Hamphire is full of M@ssholes....it's pretty much a big Boston Suburb now :)

Biker Week in Fanconia, NH is something though. I was up in that area the same week as biker week once - by mistake. Holy Cow!

But, Vermont - I mean, the natives are indescribable. I recall going to a breakfast joint - in the middle of one of the most pituresque scenes I've ever been in - and everyone - I MEAN EVERYONE - was wearing flannel. I though I was in Maine! ;) Oh, and they were s-l-o-w. Words were measured and thought out before coming out of ones mouth. Nothing was rushed. People took their time drinking their coffee. Walking to the table, car, paying the bill. Not a bad thing, I suppose, but very annoying to this high-strung Boston gal. :)

...that is true only in certain parts - and they are few and far between. Cripes, Southern New Hamphire is full of M@ssholes....it's pretty much a big Boston Suburb now :)

Biker Week in Fanconia, NH is something though. I was up in that area the same week as biker week once - by mistake. Holy Cow!

But, Vermont - I mean, the natives are indescribable. I recall going to a breakfast joint - in the middle of one of the most pituresque scenes I've ever been in - and everyone - I MEAN EVERYONE - was wearing flannel. I though I was in Maine! ;) Oh, and they were s-l-o-w. Words were measured and thought out before coming out of ones mouth. Nothing was rushed. People took their time drinking their coffee. Walking to the table, car, paying the bill. Not a bad thing, I suppose, but very annoying to this high-strung Boston gal. :)

what town was this in?

never has happened to me.

me thinks you were dreaming of an episode of the Bob Newhart show.

what town was this in?

never has happened to me.

me thinks you were dreaming of an episode of the Bob Newhart show.

It's true. It was about 5 or 6 years ago. I don't remember the town - but for some reason St John pops in my head. Let me try and google it and perhaps it will jar my memory....anyway, how many flannel shirts do you own? 50? 60? :)

Archived