Sign in to follow this  
Lil Bit Special

Yankees Acquire Nady, Marte

Don't believe he's on the roster...

i didnt think so either but i went to yankees site and on the depth chart says hes up.

http://yankees.lhblogs.com/

TRADE ANALYSIS, 8:40 p.m.: This is a smart move for the Yankees.

Nady gives the lineup a boost with Matsui and Posada out and unlikely to return. Even if Posada comes back, his shoulder problem clearly was hampering his hitting.

Nady can play left field, allowing Damon to DH. Marte slides into the bullpen, giving the Yankees what is right now the best unit in the league.

Tabata, while only 20, has not hit for power and was a discipline problem this season. Ohlendorf is a No. 5 starter type or a set-up man. Coke has pitched well the last two seasons but you have to give up something to get something.

Neither Coke or Kontos were among the team

I don't think there's any question Edwar or Veras should be pitching the 8th. Hopefully Marte will take over the role when he gets here. I want to see Marte vs. Ortiz in the 8th inning Sunday night. Too bad it probably won't get to that point unless the Yankees score a large amount of runs (Ponson's pitching).

mariano can't be going 5 outs deep every game

i'm interseted in seeing what Marte has, but yeah Edwar would be my pick

use Farnsworth in 7th innings and if he's sharp to start the 8th if the matchup is in his favor

Sunday night:

Ponson for 4 (that's optimistic, I know)

Farnsworth 5th

Veras 6th

Edwar 7th

Marte 8th

Rivera 9th

:P

a-rod: 5-5 with atleast 2 home runs :D

Remember there are potentially 3 draft picks included in this trade if/when the yanks lose Nady/Marte to FA depending on how they're graded. Unless Tabata somehow turns it around, and I'm skeptical based on the makeup problems I've heard about him, then the Pirates got screwed. :(

Not a huge Aramis Ramirez-like loss though considering Marte was a FA after this year and Nady, who is already expendable, after next year. Just wish the Buccos could have gotten better value.

Nady is clutch and Marte is one of the best lefty relievers in the league. Definitely a good deal for the Yankees, imo. Nady might be better in RF though, his range isn't anything to write home about; I don't know how he compares to Abreu though.

Not to mention that you got them early. Huntington could/should have waited until the deadline to get as big of a return as possible.

Remember there are potentially 3 draft picks included in this trade if/when the yanks lose Nady/Marte to FA depending on how they're graded. Unless Tabata somehow turns it around, and I'm skeptical based on the makeup problems I've heard about him, then the Pirates got screwed. :(

Not a huge Aramis Ramirez-like loss though considering Marte was a FA after this year and Nady, who is already expendable, after next year. Just wish the Buccos could have gotten better value.

Nady is clutch and Marte is one of the best lefty relievers in the league. Definitely a good deal for the Yankees, imo. Nady might be better in RF though, his range isn't anything to write home about; I don't know how he compares to Abreu though.

I'm a bit surprized by this deal. Rumour was that the Bucs were asking for CC Sabathia type return for Nady alone. I would have thought the Yankees would have had to include one of their prime pitching prospects.

I'm a bit surprized by this deal. Rumour was that the Bucs were asking for CC Sabathia type return for Nady alone. I would have thought the Yankees would have had to include one of their prime pitching prospects.

Most of the media doesn't know a thing about the Pirates, or any small market team for that matter. Take espn for example, they don't even know their logo.

espnod8.jpg

Though I'm sure they were initially asking for a little more for both Nady and Marte, but got pressured by Pirate ownership to make a deal happen considering they were going to cost them $12+ million next year.

What a slap in the face to Pirate fans. God I hate espn.

Edited by Sharrow

This is a great trafe for the Yankees- two guys I would have loved the Mets to pick up for all minor leaguers not close to being major ready probably.

Its being reported that rather than Kontos & Coke, the Yankees are sending McCutchen & Karstens.

http://yankees.lhblogs.com/

The Yankees are sending RHP Dan McCutchen, RHP Jeff Karstens, OF Jose Tabata and RHP Ross Ohlendorf to Pittsburgh for Xavier Nady and Damaso Marte.

LHP Phil Coke and RHP George Kontos are not in the deal.

Nady and Marte are on their way to Boston.

UPDATE, 11:57 p.m.: Once the teams decided on Tabata and Ohlendorf, the Pirates had a list of players to choose from. Coke and Kontos were on that list.

I don

Its being reported that rather than Kontos & Coke, the Yankees are sending McCutchen & Karstens.

Ok, so I know Karstens sucks, somebody tell me about this McCutchen guy.

Wasn't Tabata the gem of the Yankee farm system? Nady is overrated.

Buy, buy, buy. Says a lot about Matsui and Posada.

This, unfortunately, would seem to be true. I like the acquisitions, though.

2, 3, 4 years ago sure

Jesus Montero is the gem. 18 year old catcher, hes in high A and hitting .315 with 10 hrs. The yankees should move him up to AA

• The Xavier Nady/Damaso Marte deal was initially reported to revolve around Phil Coke and George Kontos; however, one of those was diagnosed with a damaged labrum, seemingly Coke.

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/

• A fun fact from Kovacevic: "If the Pirates could have traded Nady and Marte straight up for Jose Tabata last winter, Huntington said, 'We would have done it in a heartbeat.'"

Ok, so I know Karstens sucks, somebody tell me about this McCutchen guy.

McCutchen is ML ready and he should be a back-end of the rotation starter in Pittsburgh. He didn't really fit in to the Yankees' long-term plans, though, and they were right to deal him while he still had value.

Not anymore. Austin Jackson, Jesus Montero, Mark Melancon, Humberto Sanchez, Zach McAllister, Wilkins De La Rosa, and maybe a few others are the gems. Tabata fell out of favor a lot in the last two years.

Not anymore. Austin Jackson, Jesus Montero, Mark Melancon, Humberto Sanchez, Zach McAllister, Wilkins De La Rosa, and maybe a few others are the gems. Tabata fell out of favor a lot in the last two years.

I guess so. :biggrin: I still can't believe how little the Bucs got in this trade. Hats off to Cashman.