Warner Wolf is saying on the Radio that the Jets would be complete idiots...

NFLs StepChild

If it were to come out that the Pack offered up Favre for a ...wait for it.... FIRST ROUND PICK, and the Jets refused.

LMFAO.

If the Jets were to trade for Favre (mistake), and they gave up a 1st round pick to do it I will have lost a huge amount of faith in the intelligence of this front office.

Favre is worth AT MOST a 3rd round pick. The guy gives you what 2 years at beast. AT BEST! And whats to say he doesn't come out this year and mail it in on his second team that he got traded to and then retire again.

YEAH ABSOLUTELY, lets give up a 1st rounder for him. Short of him winning a SB with us, it is a waste of any pick. And I don't think this is a SB caliber team just yet. Even with Favre.

So lets see, Favre for a year or 2, or a solid draft pick in next years class in a VERY DEEP Draft, especially at critical positions like WR, Oline, and the entire defense.

Sure Brett Favre at 40 > Myron Rolle, Malcom Jenkins, Rey Malauga, Laurinitis, Tyson Jackson... Hell I dont think Favre is worth the potential talent that is going to be available in the 2nd round next year.

F'ing media clowns are complete fools, and their idiocy colors the perception of the idiot fanbase that we are unfortunately lumped in with. So Joey Dumb**** from Brooklyn is going to be lighting up the airwaves pissing and moaning that we could have had Favre but didn't because the team wanted to build through the draft. And this is the same idiot who was agreeing with the media when we we were signing guys to big FA contracts in the offseason that you don't build a winner by giving out big contracts in FA. But now we should trade away draft picks to take on a guy with an absurd contract who is 40 years old. Sure makes sense to me. What a bunch of ass clowns.

Favre for a 1st? Obviously not ideal, but it wouldn't kill me either. I'd make it conditional if possible. If the Jets make it to the playoffs, and Favre starts say 14 games, then there you go, 1st round pick. Otherwise, a 2nd if he starts 8 or more, a 3rd if it's less than that.

If the Jets feel Favre will get them to the playoffs, or further, this year, DO IT. Even for a 1st. Maybe Favre and a 3rd for a 1st or something.

I'm not so gungho about draft picks like people are here. Sure, they're important, but if it's the difference between going far in the playoffs this year and either not making it or barely making it and bowing out after 1 round, it's worth the price. You NEVER KNOW what a 1st round pick is going to do. 1/2 the time they are busts.

For instance, lets say next year, if we kept our pick, we drafted the equivalent to Bryan Thomas, or DROB.. Would you trade Favre for 1 of them? Well that MAY be what you're doing. (granted, you may be trading him for some stud too don't get me wrong).

To say it's just plain ridiculous is dead wrong.

Favre for a 1st? Obviously not ideal, but it wouldn't kill me either. I'd make it conditional if possible. If the Jets make it to the playoffs, and Favre starts say 14 games, then there you go, 1st round pick. Otherwise, a 2nd if he starts 8 or more, a 3rd if it's less than that.

If the Jets feel Favre will get them to the playoffs, or further, this year, DO IT. Even for a 1st. Maybe Favre and a 3rd for a 1st or something.

I think a 2nd it is too much. Far too much.

Remember this is a guy who Green Bay want to get rid of.

I think a 2nd it is too much. Far too much.

Remember this is a guy who Green Bay want to get rid of.

yeah, and a guy other teams WANT, unfortunately.

I also think waiting 3 days to try to lower the price hurts the team, and the Pack knows it. The sooner Favre is on a plane to NY learning the playbook the better.

I thought the Packers were only asking for a 2nd.

Favre is going to get a lot of money for sitting on the bench if he stays in Green Bay. From a Packer standpoint, it would have been better if he stayed retired. That's why I am surprised they want as high as a 2nd rounder for him. Hell, even a 4th rounder is more than Green Bay would get if Favre never came back.

The Packers should tell Favre that they'll trade him for a 4th rounder to whatever AFC team wants him, save for those AFC teams they will play next year-Houston, Jacksonville and Tennessee, I believe. That way, at least for next year, they will have no chance of meeting a Favre-led team except the SuperBowl.

I wouldn't give up a 1st for Favre but I have no qualms about giving up a 2nd rounder or let's say, Chad and a 3rd.

At that price, I don't see why anyone would be against the move. We're talking about acquiring one of the all-time greats who is still playing at a high level and should continue to do so for atleast another year or two.

We have dick at the QB position. Chad is clearly done and Clemens showed nothing to indicate that he's the QB of the future.

The Jets seems to make the most sense IMO. Favre has already gone on record saying that he would prefer to play in a cold climate. South Florida is anything but cold. Are the Bucs really that much more of a contender than us? Brett would have more offensive firepower to work with in New York and we're obviously Green Bay's preferred trading partner seeing as that we play in the AFC and we don't face the Packers this year which the Bucs do.

Lets dispel this concept of Chad plus a pick. THERE IS NO WAY ANY TEAM WILL TRADE FOR CHAD TO BE A BACKUP WITH HIS SALARY. Chad would have to redo his deal to have anyone even interested and he would be a total fool if he did that. WONT HAPPEN. Chad does not factor anything into the equation with Favre. If we trade for Favre we cut Chad it is that simple. There is no pracical way to move him right now.

Chad will force the team to cut him and he will sign with whoever gives him the best oppotunity to make a play for a statrting gig.

So Green Bay is asking for a 1st rounder and hoping to get a 2nd. For a second rounder I pass on this every day of the week and twice on Sunday. That second rounder is a potential 10 year starter for our defense - OR - That pick pacaged with the Vilma 3rd, Jets 3rd could get us another 1st rounder as we could likely trade up into the bottom of the 1st round again, or package any number of picks to move into position to get a elite WR at the very top of the draft. Something this team has missed since Al Toon was here. If you want to use second day picks as a form of currency I am fine with that. But rounds 1-3 is where you get your playmakers, and sometimes you luck out in the second day, but trading away your future for a guy who can come here and do nothing for a year is just stupid NFL FO management. Always has been, always will be.

the packers owe favre $12M for this season, they are dying to get him off the books.

my best guess as to what happens is the packers either move him soon for a pick (maybe a 3rd?) or wait until the week before the season starts to cut him. there is no way GB pays favre $12M this season unless he is the starter. GB has no leverage in this with favre - there only leverage at all is to hold him until the week b/f the season starts so he can't learn another team's playbook.

If we give up a first round pick for Favre I'll become a ****ing Dolphins fan

Hey now, that's a bit drastic don't you think? No matter how bad things are, you've got too much to live for. Don't give it all up!!!! STEP AWAY FROM THE LEDGE!!!

I'm not so gungho about draft picks like people are here. Sure, they're important, but if it's the difference between going far in the playoffs this year and either not making it or barely making it and bowing out after 1 round, it's worth the price. You NEVER KNOW what a 1st round pick is going to do. 1/2 the time they are busts.

For instance, lets say next year, if we kept our pick, we drafted the equivalent to Bryan Thomas, or DROB.. Would you trade Favre for 1 of them? Well that MAY be what you're doing. (granted, you may be trading him for some stud too don't get me wrong).

To say it's just plain ridiculous is dead wrong.

Whenever I am not sure what to think about issues regarding the Jets, I just find AEC's position and believe the exact opposite. And its posts like these that confirm my theory.

A first for Brett Favre would be one of the biggest mistakes this franchise could ever make.

Like I said before Favre is no where near worth either a 1st or 2nd rounder. They Packers need to understand there letting Favre go not because of what they get in return but more importantly to get over this problem.

A first-round pick for a 39-year old QB would be utterly absurd. Just having Favre on the team would not guarantee a Super Bowl and that's about what I would want for giving up a 1st-round pick. It's more important to see what Clemens can do.

Heres what Im basically hoping for the Jets QB situation....

1) Start KC... hope he gets it done

if he doesn't

2) Hope Derek Anderson has another big year, give up what it takes for Brady Quinn.

if Derek Anderson doesn't have a big year...

3) Pray Ainge is the man, or trade up and get our Franchise QB

I wish we drafted Matt Ryan.

Matt Ryan wasn't there at #6. Atlanta wasn't trading, and St.Louis supposedly wanted off-the-charts compensation. Like our 1st & 2nd this year & next year's first, or something insane like that. After which, Tannenbaum was like, "OK, we'll just stay pat at #6. Thanks for your time."

If it were to come out that the Pack offered up Favre for a ...wait for it.... FIRST ROUND PICK, and the Jets refused.

LMFAO.

If the Jets were to trade for Favre (mistake), and they gave up a 1st round pick to do it I will have lost a huge amount of faith in the intelligence of this front office.

Favre is worth AT MOST a 3rd round pick. The guy gives you what 2 years at beast. AT BEST! And whats to say he doesn't come out this year and mail it in on his second team that he got traded to and then retire again.

YEAH ABSOLUTELY, lets give up a 1st rounder for him. Short of him winning a SB with us, it is a waste of any pick. And I don't think this is a SB caliber team just yet. Even with Favre.

So lets see, Favre for a year or 2, or a solid draft pick in next years class in a VERY DEEP Draft, especially at critical positions like WR, Oline, and the entire defense.

Sure Brett Favre at 40 > Myron Rolle, Malcom Jenkins, Rey Malauga, Laurinitis, Tyson Jackson... Hell I dont think Favre is worth the potential talent that is going to be available in the 2nd round next year.

F'ing media clowns are complete fools, and their idiocy colors the perception of the idiot fanbase that we are unfortunately lumped in with. So Joey Dumb**** from Brooklyn is going to be lighting up the airwaves pissing and moaning that we could have had Favre but didn't because the team wanted to build through the draft. And this is the same idiot who was agreeing with the media when we we were signing guys to big FA contracts in the offseason that you don't build a winner by giving out big contracts in FA. But now we should trade away draft picks to take on a guy with an absurd contract who is 40 years old. Sure makes sense to me. What a bunch of ass clowns.

You hear over and over on this board and others, ESPN, NFl Network and radio that the Packers "will not allow" Favre to play in division and will trade him instead of releasing him. They all seem to assume that Green Bay can control the situation and has the leverage.

But that is far from the truth. In fact with the way things are going, Favre can ultimately force GB to release and go to the team he really wants to play for.

The bridge with GB has been burned and the bad rhetoric going back and forth has all but assured that Favre is not wanted back in GB.

But GB cannot just trade Favre to whomever they want. All Favres agent has to do is this:

1. "Ted, if you do not release Favre, he will show up for camp. In addition, he will definitely show up for camp and play in 2009 as well". This calls the GB bluff: GB will not carry $24 million dollars in salaries for 2 years for a digruntled veteran QB in a "different role" Faced with this decision they may cave and start him HOWEVER they know that if they do that, Rodgers will not resign and in 2 years all they will have is Brohm. They may not be able to face that.

2. "Ted, if you try to trade Brett to anyone other than ______ or ________, Brett will tell the team that he WILL NOT report and will stay retired. Unlike what Tampa did with Plummer I just don't see teams giving up compensation for the rights to Favre. Gruden thought Plummer would not really stay retired and was young. Bretts threat would have a lot of weight behind it. This will eliminate most of the teams that GB would want to trade him to.

The fact is that GB cannot control ultimately where Brett goes. GB has the following choices:

1. Start him

2. Release him

3. Pay his salary for 2 years and deal with the incredible negative backlash especially if Rodgers falters.

4. Trade him to a team that Favre determines. This may very well be Chicago or Minnesota.

And GB despite all the rheotoric, if they really have decided to sever ties with him and not have him on the packers, will be powerless to stop Favre from going where he wants.

LMFAO.

With Tim Tebow coming out next year, that will be quite stupid to do. We wont be as bad as to get a first round pick, but we'll need that 1st rd pick of ours to trade up to get Tebow. I'd really love to have Favre, but to give up an entire 1st round pick career for a guy that will only last 2 more years will be very hard to stomach.

Oh, and P.S.....Im back!

With Tim Tebow coming out next year, that will be quite stupid to do. We wont be as bad as to get a first round pick, but we'll need that 1st rd pick of ours to trade up to get Tebow. I'd really love to have Favre, but to give up an entire 1st round pick career for a guy that will only last 2 more years will be very hard to stomach.

Oh, and P.S.....Im back!

You were gone?

The fact is that GB cannot control ultimately where Brett goes. GB has the following choices:

1. Start him

2. Release him

3. Pay his salary for 2 years and deal with the incredible negative backlash especially if Rodgers falters.

4. Trade him to a team that Favre determines. This may very well be Chicago or Minnesota.

i think more likely scenario if favre shows up is to let him practice with the 3rd team, keep him out of preseason games, and then cut him prior to the start of the regular season.

at that point (if he makes it to that point) who would want to sign him with 1 week to prepare for the regular season?

i think more likely scenario if favre shows up is to let him practice with the 3rd team, keep him out of preseason games, and then cut him prior to the start of the regular season.

at that point (if he makes it to that point) who would want to sign him with 1 week to prepare for the regular season?

I dont necessarily diagree with that. I did not say when I thought they would release him, only that Favre can force that and GB cannot just trade him to whomever they feel like or ultimately prevent him from playing in their division.

With Tim Tebow coming out next year, that will be quite stupid to do. We wont be as bad as to get a first round pick, but we'll need that 1st rd pick of ours to trade up to get Tebow.

Ehh, I like where you are going there, but disagree on Tebow at this point. Unless Tebow becomes a great pocket passer and doesn't try to run his way out of pocket pressure this year, he won't be much of an NFL QB. In fact he would be best served by staying another ear after this if that is the case. He needs to fine tune his game a lot if he wants to be a top 10 pick in the draft. Next years QB class at this point doesn't excite me that much. Lot of high risk/high reward players that will need to be trained properly to be successful at the next level. Lot of green QBs. I like Staffords development so far and if he can mature as much this year as he did last year I think he might be ready for the NFL, but that's a tall order. Some folks like Harper and Bradford, but I'm not sure - should be an interesting year to watch those guys though. There just may not be an elite QB coming out next year. If not there are plenty of other sick options to choose from though at other positions. And all of them are better options than Favre at this point in his career.

He's not worth a 3rd rounder. just wait the Packers out or let him sit out the year. the Jets are crazy if they give up anything higher than a 4th round pick.

No kidding. Teams just aren't that stupid (other than the raiders, who already have a QB) to give up their best draft pick for a guy that, until two weeks ago, was ready for a long career of golf and drinking beer in Mississippi.

No way anyone gives a first for a one, two or three year loaner.

Archived