If the Jets do pick up Favre, what will their chance be to go all they way????

PETROCK

They absolutely could go all of the way. The only question would be how long will it take for him to pick up the offense. Or if Shotty makes changes for Favre, will the other players be able to adapt relatively quickly.

Physically? Anyone who think Favre is over the hill or significantly declined from his prime is nuts. When QBs get older and decline it is not because they lose arm strength. Marino could probably still roll out of bed and throw a 60 yard strike. It is their bodies that break down. But Favre is a freak of nature. Yes, not missing a start in a decade and a half requires a good deal of luck. It also requires a near inhuman body.

0 Percent

Yep. He always screws something up badly. When was the last time GB lost a playoff game and it wasn't Favre making at least one critical bad play for the Packers?

For those with a short memory, who have convinced themselves that this isn't the norm - to the point where it is expected - with Favre...

Rams' defense out-points Packers in 45-17 win

Sunday January 20, 2002

"The Rams (15-2) picked off six passes by Brett Favre, returning three for scores"

Falcons toss tradition and Packers aside

January 5, 2003

''We watched the films, and Brett is going to throw three or four passes a game to a defense,'' Brooking said. ''Being the competitor he is, he was getting very frustrated. You could tell it was getting to him toward the end of the game because he was throwing it right to us.''

Packers Fall To Eagles, 20-17, In OT

posted 01/11/2004

"And with one desperation heave, Brett Favre threw away Green Bay's chance at another Super Bowl."

Turnovers Again Seal Packers' Fate

1/9/2005

"Brett Favre threw four interceptions - two each before and after halftime - and the Packers were unable to overcome the hole they dug by handing the ball over to the Vikings."

NFC Title Slips Away

1/20/2008

"Favre was intercepted by Corey Webster when he underthrew an out route to Donald Driver on the second snap of overtime, and the Giants needed to drive just 5 yards to set up a third try for Tynes. This time he was true, stunning and saddening the record crowd of 72,740 at Lambeau."

To expect anything otherwise is nothing more than wishful thinking.

i don't see favre coming in this season and taking this team all the way. first of all, we couldn't win 5 games last year and yes, we've made some solid acquisitions, but for people to think this team is an automatic for the playoffs is a bit absurd. anyone who's ever played any sort of team sport will tell you chemistry is an invaluable commodity. sh!t, take a gander at the pats or pistons if you can't wrap your head around that logic.

moreover, favre hasn't had to learn a new system in almost a score (for the ignorant, that's twenty years). for fans to expect him to be able to absorb an nfl playbook in what amounts to a little over a month is unreasonable and a surefire set-up for a tremendous letdown. to consider altering the playbook to suit favre's knowledge and verbiage is even more ludicrous and puts a serious strain on team chemistry, because now the only person in the huddle with a firm grasp of the offense is the QB. which is fine if not for the fact that an "ultimate team sport" like football actually requires everyone to be on the same page, not just the one guy.

add to that the huge question mark he presents to the team after this season is a wrap. he's no lock to play for multiple years and chances are he won't opt for more than just the one season if the team can't get it together, which brings us back to that chemistry thing again. for them to be successful with favre at QB he needs to come in and master schotty's playbook at least by the end of the first quarter of the season. no easy task with a headstrong QB who would quintessentially be the proverbial old dog learning the new trick. then he needs to develop a great deal of chemistry with the O-line, receivers, and RBs. again, this is not something you can expect to happen overnight. then the D would naturally have to perform to its potential, which isn't so automatic either. if this perfect scenario doesn't happen, i don't see favre having too strong of a desire to come back and play here for a second season. and even if it did go down as serendipitously as i've just laid out, the team would be hard pressed to go beyond one or 2 playoff wins.

at least you know the Jets would be competitive and have a chance. With Chad just do not have the same feeling

Those are not the only two options for this franchise for the next couple of seasons. With the obvious lone exception of 1996, teams have been winning superbowls for years without Brett Favre or Chad Pennington.

i don't see favre coming in this season and taking this team all the way. first of all, we couldn't win 5 games last year and yes, we've made some solid acquisitions, but for people to think this team is an automatic for the playoffs is a bit absurd. anyone who's ever played any sort of team sport will tell you chemistry is an invaluable commodity. sh!t, take a gander at the pats or pistons if you can't wrap your head around that logic.

moreover, favre hasn't had to learn a new system in almost a score (for the ignorant, that's twenty years). for fans to expect him to be able to absorb an nfl playbook in what amounts to a little over a month is unreasonable and a surefire set-up for a tremendous letdown. to consider altering the playbook to suit favre's knowledge and verbiage is even more ludicrous and puts a serious strain on team chemistry, because now the only person in the huddle with a firm grasp of the offense is the QB. which is fine if not for the fact that an "ultimate team sport" like football actually requires everyone to be on the same page, not just the one guy.

add to that the huge question mark he presents to the team after this season is a wrap. he's no lock to play for multiple years and chances are he won't opt for more than just the one season if the team can't get it together, which brings us back to that chemistry thing again. for them to be successful with favre at QB he needs to come in and master schotty's playbook at least by the end of the first quarter of the season. no easy task with a headstrong QB who would quintessentially be the proverbial old dog learning the new trick. then he needs to develop a great deal of chemistry with the O-line, receivers, and RBs. again, this is not something you can expect to happen overnight. then the D would naturally have to perform to its potential, which isn't so automatic either. if this perfect scenario doesn't happen, i don't see favre having too strong of a desire to come back and play here for a second season. and even if it did go down as serendipitously as i've just laid out, the team would be hard pressed to go beyond one or 2 playoff wins.

We lost 7 games by less than 5 points. The defense will be better. The schedule is weaker. Favre could get us to the playoffs. The only question is the Patriots. Do you think they fear our offense. Favre threatens their serious weakness in the secondary. Has the savy to beat a Belicheck game plan. Don't know about a super bowl, but we'll be alot more dangerous.

Ask yourself, can Chad threaten the New England secondary? Can Clemons beat a Belicheck game plan that baffles Peyton Manning?

If Favre is available, they have to get him. Whether we win, 8, 9, or 11 games, make the playoffs or the Super Bowl, the games will be more fun with an experienced gunslinger throwing to Coles, Cotchery, Baker, Washington and Keller.

J - E - T - S !! JETS!!!! JETS!!!! JETS!!!!!!

IMO the Jets would go further than Chad could ever take them in his best year.

Chads best year wouldn't come close to Farves worst year. :cheers:

Your blind...

Favre in 2005

Started all 16 games -

61% Completion / 3,881 yards (607 Att/ 6.4 Yards per attempt) / 20TD's / 29 INT's / 24 sacks / 71 QB Rating / 7 lost fumbles

Chad in 2002

Started 12 games -

69% Completion / 3,120 yards (399 Att/ 7.8 Yards per attempt) / 22TD's / 6 INT's / 22 sacks / 104.2 QB Rating / 1 lost fumble

Those are not the only two options for this franchise for the next couple of seasons. With the obvious lone exception of 1996, teams have been winning superbowls for years without Brett Favre or Chad Pennington.

Even then he beat the Patriots.

Even then he beat the Patriots.

I don't remember Brett Favre intercepting Bledsoe 4x or returning a kickoff 99 yards for a touchdown. But for all those things happening, Favre & GB would likely have lost. A Pats fan ought to know that.

Oh wait - I forgot you became a Pats fan in November of 2001.

Yep. He always screws something up badly. When was the last time GB lost a playoff game and it wasn't Favre making at least one critical bad play for the Packers?

For those with a short memory, who have convinced themselves that this isn't the norm - to the point where it is expected - with Favre...

Rams' defense out-points Packers in 45-17 win

Sunday January 20, 2002

"The Rams (15-2) picked off six passes by Brett Favre, returning three for scores"

Falcons toss tradition and Packers aside

January 5, 2003

''We watched the films, and Brett is going to throw three or four passes a game to a defense,'' Brooking said. ''Being the competitor he is, he was getting very frustrated. You could tell it was getting to him toward the end of the game because he was throwing it right to us.''

Packers Fall To Eagles, 20-17, In OT

posted 01/11/2004

"And with one desperation heave, Brett Favre threw away Green Bay's chance at another Super Bowl."

Turnovers Again Seal Packers' Fate

1/9/2005

"Brett Favre threw four interceptions - two each before and after halftime - and the Packers were unable to overcome the hole they dug by handing the ball over to the Vikings."

NFC Title Slips Away

1/20/2008

"Favre was intercepted by Corey Webster when he underthrew an out route to Donald Driver on the second snap of overtime, and the Giants needed to drive just 5 yards to set up a third try for Tynes. This time he was true, stunning and saddening the record crowd of 72,740 at Lambeau."

To expect anything otherwise is nothing more than wishful thinking.

Do u not want him? If not I think your fcking crazy!!! who else do we have? theres no reason not to want this man leading this team..

Do u not want him? If not I think your fcking crazy!!! who else do we have? theres no reason not to want this man leading this team..

There are many reasons & they have been outlined. You also thought everyone was at least as crazy for not jumping on a $10M/yr contract for a skinny-legged RB with illegitimate kids & paternity suits at age 20, who also had trouble breaking tackles at the college level.

It may be the right decision & it may be the wrong decision. Only hindsight will tell which.

There are no sure things. Particularly with a 39 year-old QB who has a track record since January 2002 of choking in the playoffs.

IMO the Jets would go further than Chad could ever take them in his best year.

Chads best year wouldn't come close to Farves worst year. :cheers:

WTF are you talking about?

Brett can be great but he can often be piss poor too. To say that he cannot be worse than Pennington is beyond stupid.

No.. thats dead on.... he cannot be worse then pennington!!! cmon now fellas who we kidding?? Pennington Sucks!!!!!!!! kellen clenons looks like a dear stuck in headlights.. cmon now..

Btw.. Sperm.. The mcfadden thing isnt over yet... Ya see he hasnt carried the ball yet or even played one down in the nfl.. and im sure it will be you that will be wrong about him..

BTW, I'm starting to flip completely with this Favre thing. I genuinely wanted him before hand because I do think he's a much better option than anything we have now.

BUT, that being said, I don't think he'd win us a SB, and if we're not going to compete for a SB I don't see the logic in signing him, it will only **** us up at QB in the long term. If Tangini is convinced that Brett will make the team a SB contender then yes, they should go after him. TBH though, after thinking about I can't see how we would be contenders, with or without him. If the front office feels the same way, we should avoid Favre, because signing him for any other reason than to win a SB is a bad reason.

No.. thats dead on.... he cannot be worse then pennington!!! cmon now fellas who we kidding?? Pennington Sucks!!!!!!!! kellen clenons looks like a dear stuck in headlights.. cmon now..

Btw.. Sperm.. The mcfadden thing isnt over yet... Ya see he hasnt carried the ball yet or even played one down in the nfl.. and im sure it will be you that will be wrong about him..

My point is only that there are no guarantees. McFadden & Favre would both be far from guarantees on the 2008 Jets. Particularly with Favre getting handed his play book less than 1 week before pre-season games begin.

Both 1 and 2 years prior, Favre was between wildly sucky and marginally above-average. Did he suddenly become a better player mentally/physically last year? No. Will he get better still in 2008 when he turns 39? Of course not. He had some great games in 2007 against a bunch of scrub defenses. And that was with a team & receivers & play book that he was extremely familiar with. Now suddenly he's going move to a new place, come into a new system, with new receivers, blockers, RB's, and division rivals, and put up almost 4000 yards, 30 TD's, and 15 or fewer picks?

C'mon yourself.

The odds of him leading us past the elite AFC teams, all the way to a superbowl in 2008, are only markedly better than Pennington or Clemens in your mind. And I don't even think much of either of those two (if you've ever read one of my posts here). You have built Favre up into some imaginary thing that he is not & convinced yourself not only that he would repeat one of the best seasons of his career, but that adding him assures us of some success we cannot possibly otherwise achieve.s

Personally, I'm at a wait-and-see point. If we added him, unlikely as it is, it would certainly be exciting & I'd root damn hard for him. But you will almost assuredly be in for rude awakening after realizing first-hand that he is not Zeus walking amongst mere mortals.

I agree with those that don't want him. It only makes sense to go all in like this with a rental player if you're only 1 or 2 positions away from a superbowl. We're obviously not that close. We have too many other questions to justify a move like this. I'd call us a borderline playoff contender without Favre and a solid playoff contender with him. But, again, if he doesn't bring us a superbowl then what's the point? We'd just be stunting our growth. Say we get Farvre and he leads us to the playoffs then we're bounced in the first round. What then? Next season we're right back where we started with a mediocre team not knowing what we have in Clemens.

Also, Sperm brings up a good point that he was above average, at best, before he had a career year last season. Why is everyone so sure he'll repeat that and not regress back to what he was?

I don't even have to reply to this thread since Sperm has already summed up exactly how I feel better then I could. Probably because I read and write on a 5th grade level.

but I wanted the +1 to my post count anyway

Get a new ****ing username.

We lost 7 games by less than 5 points. The defense will be better. The schedule is weaker. Favre could get us to the playoffs. The only question is the Patriots. Do you think they fear our offense. Favre threatens their serious weakness in the secondary. Has the savy to beat a Belicheck game plan. Don't know about a super bowl, but we'll be alot more dangerous.

Ask yourself, can Chad threaten the New England secondary? Can Clemons beat a Belicheck game plan that baffles Peyton Manning?

If Favre is available, they have to get him. Whether we win, 8, 9, or 11 games, make the playoffs or the Super Bowl, the games will be more fun with an experienced gunslinger throwing to Coles, Cotchery, Baker, Washington and Keller.

J - E - T - S !! JETS!!!! JETS!!!! JETS!!!!!!

1. with that logic, any QB should be able to "manage" this team into the playoffs.

2. favre isn't smart enough to beat a belicheck gameplan, he is lucky enough though, but only because he has such a great rapport with his WRs/TEs and has been playing in the same system for over a decade.

3. so, you're only concerned with the entertainment value of the team? and you could care less about a superbowl victory so long as you're not bored? and what do we do next year when favre retires again?

I've thought this over and have completely changed my stance on this Favre debacle. I'm now completely against us picking him up.

First of all you can never be sure how long the 'flyer' on Favre will be. This is a guy who single handedly **** all over Green Bays QB stability with his 'will he,wont he' retiring crap causing them to spend two high picks on QB's when they could have been spent on the weapons which Favre complained about not having.

Look. The future lasts more than 2 seasons and although I agree we don't seem to have a great QB situation right now, Favre will only cloud the scenario even more. For what? A trip to the playoffs where he kills us eventually with his mistakes? Not worth it. Unless this FO believes that Brett can bring this franchise a SB (I don't believe he could) then I don't want any part of him on this team.

Favre is going to give us how many more years? 2? At the most. Then WTF do we do? We're just as ****ed if not more ****ed than we were before, and without a championship to show for it.

I know it sounds like a lovely fairytale, The Legend that is Brett Favre coming to our lowly Jets, how awesome for us.

TBH I'd rather we moved on without and focus on what we have and what we could possibly add in the future to turn this team into a SB contender, Favre for now is not that.

I've thought this over and have completely changed my stance on this Favre debacle. I'm now completely against us picking him up.

First of all you can never be sure how long the 'flyer' on Favre will be. This is a guy who single handedly **** all over Green Bays QB stability with his 'will he,wont he' retiring crap causing them to spend two high picks on QB's when they could have been spent on the weapons which Favre complained about not having.

Look. The future lasts more than 2 seasons and although I agree we don't seem to have a great QB situation right now, Favre will only cloud the scenario even more. For what? A trip to the playoffs where he kills us eventually with his mistakes? Not worth it. Unless this FO believes that Brett can bring this franchise a SB (I don't believe he could) then I don't want any part of him on this team.

Favre is going to give us how many more years? 2? At the most. Then WTF do we do? We're just as ****ed if not more ****ed than we were before, and without a championship to show for it.

I know it sounds like a lovely fairytale, The Legend that is Brett Favre coming to our lowly Jets, how awesome for us.

TBH I'd rather we moved on without and focus on what we have and what we could possibly add in the future to turn this team into a SB contender, Favre for now is not that.

wow... what's prompting some of the favre proponents to hop on over to the other side of the fence? not only that, but most of them are doing so utilizing logic to come to their conclusions.

btw, this is by no means a knock on anyone switching sides either way. it's just surprising that ny'ers aren't proving the strong-headed attitude stereotype. is this city evolving?

wow... what's prompting some of the favre proponents to hop on over to the other side of the fence? not only that, but most of them are doing so utilizing logic to come to their conclusions.

btw, this is by no means a knock on anyone switching sides either way. it's just surprising that ny'ers aren't proving the strong-headed attitude stereotype. is this city evolving?

I'm a flip-flopper. It's what I do.

I'm also definitely not a New Yorker.

Archived