What's The Best Flat Screen On The Market?

So I'm nowhere capable of affording one yet due to my impending move, marriage and well, repayment of existing debt, but it doesn't mean I can't research.

When I'm ready to get a flat screen for my Jets room, I want something good. No, not something that costs 5-10K, but not a $500 Dynex either.

So what should I look for?

LCD or Plasma?

What is DLP and do I want it?

1080p I know I want.

What's this 120 mhz or whatever 'refresh' rate.

Someone shoot me some options if they get the chance.

Thanks

DLP projects the image, usually from the back of the TV to the screen. The problem with it is that the TV's are huge, if you want something relatively thin you'll have to go with LCD or Plasma. DLP's can be better with a bigger screen (around 50" and up) if you can deal with the space you'll need for them. The refresh rate is how often the TV screen refreshes an image. The higher Mhz, the quicker the refresh rate, I think. A slow refresh rate will result in blurred images, ghosting, shadows that shouldn't be there, stuff like that. It shouldn't really be an issue this late in the HDTV game.

I'll go looking at some HDTV's now in a bit. What size are you looking for? 1080p won't do you much good under, say, 40".

DLP projects the image, usually from the back of the TV to the screen. The problem with it is that the TV's are huge, if you want something relatively thin you'll have to go with LCD or Plasma. DLP's can be better with a bigger screen (around 50" and up) if you can deal with the space you'll need for them. The refresh rate is how often the TV screen refreshes an image. The higher Mhz, the quicker the refresh rate, I think. A slow refresh rate will result in blurred images, ghosting, shadows that shouldn't be there, stuff like that. It shouldn't really be an issue this late in the HDTV game.

I'll go looking at some HDTV's now in a bit. What size are you looking for? 1080p won't do you much good under, say, 40".

The number 52" keeps popping into my head. :) I'd say 60, but my soon to be NY Jets room at the new crib isn't big enough for that. I'd prefer to have something wall mounted to save space.

GOB -

Sounds like you still have a lot of questions. Why don't you go back to the boss or better yet have her post here. This way we can get the exact requirements and help you out that way.

:bag:

So I'm nowhere capable of affording one yet due to my impending move, marriage and well, repayment of existing debt, but it doesn't mean I can't research.

When I'm ready to get a flat screen for my Jets room, I want something good. No, not something that costs 5-10K, but not a $500 Dynex either.

So what should I look for?

LCD or Plasma?

What is DLP and do I want it?

1080p I know I want.

What's this 120 mhz or whatever 'refresh' rate.

Someone shoot me some options if they get the chance.

Thanks

costco had a pretty decent philips in the 1600-1800 range that my friend just got, has the high 120 mhz refresh rate and 4 hdmi connectors i think. A nice set for the money.

The number 52" keeps popping into my head. :) I'd say 60, but my soon to be NY Jets room at the new crib isn't big enough for that. I'd prefer to have something wall mounted to save space.

it is important not to go bigger than the room and your seating distance can handle, if you are sitting too close the pic will be bad no matter how good a tv you buy.

Wall mounted practically eliminates DLP, so don't worry about that. I'll go look up some LCD's and Plasmas around 52" and post them here. I prefer Sony's, and I'm usually good for finding deals/saving money (ask some of the mods) so I'll see what I can do. :)

Thanks for the advice fellas.

I recently got a sony bravia 52" xbr 4 & I couldn't be happier.

I think you'll be much happier with an lcd for many reasons gob.

while plasmas are still very very good, I doubt you'll see em on the market for much longer.

I recently got a sony bravia 52" xbr 4 & I couldn't be happier.

I think you'll be much happier with an lcd for many reasons gob.

while plasmas are still very very good, I doubt you'll see em on the market for much longer.

+1

I have a 46" bravia that I got at Costco. It is amazing. LCD is the way to go. Plasmas are nice, but humidity is not good for them, and they also suck up quite a bit of power, specially when trying to produce the brighter colors. If you are on a strict budget, you may want to look at Vizio. They are not top of the line, but they are a great bang for the buck. I would suggest buying it from Costco, because if you ever have a problem you can take it back. A 60" Vizio can be had for under 2k. That may be your best deal.

+1

I have a 46" bravia that I got at Costco. It is amazing. LCD is the way to go. Plasmas are nice, but humidity is not good for them, and they also suck up quite a bit of power, specially when trying to produce the brighter colors. If you are on a strict budget, you may want to look at Vizio. They are not top of the line, but they are a great bang for the buck. I would suggest buying it from Costco, because if you ever have a problem you can take it back. A 60" Vizio can be had for under 2k. That may be your best deal.

I've been looking at Vizios. That's probably what we'll get once I convince the wife that buying a flat panel will give us a ton of space in our living room.

Remember when plasmas were all the rage? Now they're about to join Betamax.

Thanks for the input. I'l let u know what I get when that day comes.

Post back when you're in the buyer's market and I'll see what deals I can find. You might also need a Blu-Ray player, if you want to watch movies in stunning HD. By stunning HD, I mean WAY better than cable's HD. The BBC nature series, Planet Earth (or whatever it's called) looks amazing. I watched all of it and I'm not even into that kind of stuff. I'd suggest getting a PS3 even if you aren't into games because that is the best and most future-proof Blu-ray player on the market for the best price. You can't go wrong with it. Then you can buy a less than 10$ HDMI cable off monoprice.com. Those Monster-branded cables are ridiculously overpriced in-store, so avoid those.

Post back when you're in the buyer's market and I'll see what deals I can find. You might also need a Blu-Ray player, if you want to watch movies in stunning HD. By stunning HD, I mean WAY better than cable's HD. The BBC nature series, Planet Earth (or whatever it's called) looks amazing. I watched all of it and I'm not even into that kind of stuff. I'd suggest getting a PS3 even if you aren't into games because that is the best and most future-proof Blu-ray player on the market for the best price. You can't go wrong with it. Then you can buy a less than 10$ HDMI cable off monoprice.com. Those Monster-branded cables are ridiculously overpriced in-store, so avoid those.

Ironic you say that, because I was planning on getting a PS3 for the purposes of gaming and the blu-ray player. If you're going to spend coin, might as well have it serve a dual purpose. :D

Isn't HD amazing? I sit there watching shows on Discovery HD or other like channels not because the topic is 'that' amazing, but because the picture is just superb. I can't wait o experience a movie in blu-ray. I think my first movie when I get one, will be the downtown shootout/bank robbery scene from Heat, complete with surround sound.

I've been looking at Vizios. That's probably what we'll get once I convince the wife that buying a flat panel will give us a ton of space in our living room.

I am totally unimpressed with vizios, the pictures are kinda bad, with crap blacks, but than again the prices are really low so what do you expect? I see they have a new one set to come out that is going to be more expensive than their other offerings, maybe this one will be better but who knows.

I am totally unimpressed with vizios, the pictures are kinda bad, with crap blacks, but than again the prices are really low so what do you expect? I see they have a new one set to come out that is going to be more expensive than their other offerings, maybe this one will be better but who knows.

It's a good deal for what you pay, but if you put it next to a Bravia or Samsung etc you will see the difference. You will love the Blu ray . I have had my ps3 since it came out and I rarely watch anything that is not available on blu ray. It is worth every penny.

I agree. The vizios are decent for the price, but you can easily find a better TV on sale. Like for me, I went to costco to look at their HDTV's. They had a 32" Vizio for 600$, but the blacks just look crappy and the colors look too saturated, and so I looked around and saw a Sony Bravia 32". Normally it was either 1,000 or 1,200 on sale, but they had none left but the display unit. I asked them how much for the display unit, and how long it has been up. They only had it running for a week and a half, and they cut the price to 600$ as it's a display unit. Ended up being a much better buy than the 600$ Vizio, that's for sure.

They have a couple new lines of TV's coming out, maybe they will have better quality. Maybe I'm getting Vizio confused with someone else, but I think they're making a monitor for the PC gaming crowd. And rumors are an eco-friendly line too.

Plasma advantages:

- better picture (though it's pretty marginal for most purposes & you have to be a real dork to say the current LCD pictures aren't fantastic); darker blacks & a little more true-color rendition)

- wider viewing angle: looks the same from anywhere in the room. Though LCD's are much better than they used to be in this regard, they still look best when you're looking at them head-on. With plasmas, it doesn't matter at all.

- usually less expensive for very large displays (50" and larger)

LCD advantages:

- absolutely zero burn-in risk. While there's little danger of that with today's plasmas when watching most things on tv, if you're into video games or watch stuff like stock tickers that potentially have the same screen pixels unchanged for hours & hours on-end then definitely get an LCD.

- though it's usually not the factor it used to be, still check the response time on any LCD you buy. A high response time (>10ms or so) will be sucky for fast action films & gaming & will leave trails on the screen. Most name-brand sets nowadays have good response times, under 5ms (milliseconds).

1080p advantages:

- BluRay & video games. That's it. Regular tv is 100% exactly the same since nobody broadcasts their signals in 1080p and won't for many, many years. It just takes up too much bandwidth & therefore too much $ for cable/satellite/fios providers. If you're a gamer and/or if you only plan on buying/renting BluRay discs for movies, then go for a 1080p set.

720p advantages:

- cheaper, usually by $200 give-or-take depending on your tv size. If you're mostly watching HD programs from TV, you don't plan on investing in a BluRay player (or don't rent/buy BluRay movies often), and you don't play video games, there is absolutely no advantage to 1080p.

Size:

- depends on your room size. A bigger display won't always look as good. If your room isn't that big, then don't overdo it on the screen size or it won't seem as clear. Technically, the more pixels you're looking at per square inch, the better the resolution. That's why 1080p gives a better picture than 720p on same-size screens. But if you have two 1080p sets, and one is 40" & the other is 60", then the 40" will look sharper in a smaller room. In a very large room where you're sitting a good 12-15' from the screen, you won't notice the clarity difference so much (particularly in HD) & will likely be happier with the larger display.

- there are hundreds of websites that have little charts for how big your display should be relative to your room size.

http://www.abcwarehouse.com/product_catalog/pc_proddetails.asp~assort_id~1299~prod_ID~24407

Hey funny we were talking about this, but my parents just finished their basement and want to put a big screen down there. They really don't have a need for a 'flat screen/wall mount" and prefer to have a entertainment stand and a TV to set upon it. They're want a big screen and are willing to trade smaller flat screen/higher price for large projection/smaller price.

My mom found this one that she's interested in, what do you think of it? Do the DLP have the problem like old school projections where you can't see them as well from the side??

It looks good, this is the only decent review I could find of it:

a 52" wide screen with 1080p HD resolution, crystal-clear sound, and advanced features like wide color enhancer that are guaranteed to give you the full hig......This 60" screen is an AMAZING deal for only $1,400 and I would highly recommend it for anyone looking for good picture quality and does not want to spend $2,000+ on a flatscreen of the same size...Three HDMI inputs let you connect quickly...

Sperm made some excellent points. Ask yourself what kind of a TV buff you are . Will you use a Blu Ray player or use a gaming system that supports 1080p? What kind of an audio setup do you have ? These are all things to consider. Maybe a 720p is all you need . My 46 Bravia gets full use. I play on my PS3 and I am a Blu Ray whore. If you can afford it, get a 1080p and give blu ray a shot. You will NOT be disappointed. the video and sound quality is unreal. Not to mention you can buy a PS3 cheap these days. You dont even have to be a gamer to get full use of the ps3. If you're just a random TV viewer, don't waste your money on all this extra stuff.

I'm looking to getting a new tv during the tax break weekend in MA next week. I'm also picking up a PS3 & I already have a Wii so you can see for the most part it'll be used for gaming. Glare won't be much of an issue since the TV will be located where the sun won't reach it.

Some specs:

I prefer LCD

1080p - expected with the PS3

I'll be about 4'-6' feet away from the TV with the TV about 2-3 feet off the ground(not on the wall)

I have digital cable

I'll be playing/watching mostly sports games

I'd prefer something around 37''-42'' inches if that's the suggested size for my distance & not paying a lot more than $1000 - $1200

any suggestions would be great as I'm just looking at TV's through Cnet & newegg.

Archived