training camp newbie impressions

docdhc

I went to training camp for the first time today with my son and had a great day. I am a life long Jet fan but never went when I grew up in North Jersey but now live in PA, and left for Hofstra at 0600. We got there in time for the first practice at 845. Ate lunch at Chrebet's, caught Batman at the IMAX nearby and went to the 545pm practice before heading back home. Some impressions:

QB battle: I have to admit I am rooting for Kellen Clemens because of his youth, mobility, and arm, especially since watching Chad's horrible 4th qtr performances last year, but I have to admit Chad looked much better today. KC threw 4 picks today, by my count, 2 in 11 on 11 situations. At least one wasn't his fault but one that Revis picked was a terrible pass on the sideline that was short, and wrestled away from the receiver (I think Henry) and would have been returned for a TD. KC was hesitant, wild, and I didn't even think his arm looked that strong. He came off the field shaking his head several times and looks like his confidence is shaken. I only hope that he shows some promise in the preseason games.

Chad, on the other hand, looked sure of himself, made a couple of TD connections, and wasn't picked off at all. His velocity didn't look that bad, even on some long out patterns, although I am obviously not an expert. On a side note, we happened to be standing at just the right spot at the fence after practice, and he came over and signed autographs for about an hour, and seemed to be a genuinely great guy, polite and pleasant to everyone around him. One thing that impressed me was how big he was up close. He had his pads off and the guy is taller than I thought and ripped, with huge arms and chest. It really is surprising that a guy that big doesn't have a canon for an arm. KC came over too, and was also very nice, but isn't nearly as physically imposing as Chad. BTW, my son got his football signed by Chad, and then at lunch, Wayne Chrebet showed up and signed too. It was quite a thrill for my 19 year old son, and even for a jaded 50 year old like myself.

Other impressions: The Jets were very organized, practice ran like clockwork, with everyone knowing exactly where to go and when, even during frequent changeovers in drills and situations. Callahan spent alot of time coaching the O line, especially the young guys. Alan Fanaca is a mountain of a man, and his head is so huge it looks like his helmet is about to split right off. Jenkins is huge too, and noone seemed to be able to move him off his spot during drills, making him alot different than his predecessor Robertson. Coles hurt his ankle or knee during the PM practice, was able to finish, but was limping when practice ended.

The only other thing that comes to mind is that it seems really hard for the coaches to evaluate any players except for QB's and receivers, because there is no real tackling to speak of, and the blocks aren't held for very long. I guess that is why they need the preseason games, although noone gets to play much because there are so many players to evaluate.

One other thing, I have heard players gripe for years about how hard two a day practices are and how TC is such a bitch but I wasn't impressed with the amount of work they do. Over the 2 hours of practice they have a large portion of time devoted to stretching, changing locations, and standing around while waiting there turns to participate, and not that much time doing grueling drills. I guess that is easy for me to say but that was my opinion after watching.

All in all it was a great day. I highly recommend it to any of my fellow Jet fans.

One other thing, I have heard players gripe for years about how hard two a day practices are and how TC is such a bitch but I wasn't impressed with the amount of work they do. Over the 2 hours of practice they have a large portion of time devoted to stretching, changing locations, and standing around while waiting there turns to participate, and not that much time doing grueling drills. I guess that is easy for me to say but that was my opinion after watching.

All in all it was a great day. I highly recommend it to any of my fellow Jet fans.

I got the same impression about how "hard" those guys work during practices the couple of times I've seen them. A lot of standing around, waiting for their turns. Even "sprints" across the field were jogged more than sprinted. I know when they go against each other, it's all out, but they get a lot of rest in between.

Really looking like Pennington in 2008. So even if you discount the 2 picks so far that bounced off receivers, Clemens has 6 picks in like 5 days of training camp. Chad has zero or one (maybe he had one but that bounced off a receiver also? I can't remember). To compound it, he's not throwing more TD's than Pennington is.

It's still early in camp, but unless there is a major, MAJOR change in Clemens' game, I don't see how Mangini has much of a choice to make here. He can't preach that the best players will start & make an exception at QB of all positions.

There's still time. If the competition was already over he wouldn't waste valuable practice time giving Clemens the same # of snaps as Pennington.

Really looking like Pennington in 2008. So even if you discount the 2 picks so far that bounced off receivers, Clemens has 6 picks in like 5 days of training camp. Chad has zero or one (maybe he had one but that bounced off a receiver also? I can't remember). To compound it, he's not throwing more TD's than Pennington is.

It's still early in camp, but unless there is a major, MAJOR change in Clemens' game, I don't see how Mangini has much of a choice to make here. He can't preach that the best players will start & make an exception at QB of all positions.

There's still time. If the competition was already over he wouldn't waste valuable practice time giving Clemens the same # of snaps as Pennington.

there is a huge difference b/w throwing dump-offs in practice when there isn't a rush and throwing the ball downfield against the pats in week 2.

chad's problem is that the other teams know he can't throw downfield and they GAMEPLAN for his dumpoffs and quick hitters. hell, even preseason isn't going to show all of his flaws as he won't see 1 defensive gameplan designed to stuff his dump-offs.

It sounds like this years camp isn't as grueling (by design).

I can't see this meaning a whole hell of a lot either way. It will be the pre season games. I expect to see more of KC than CP because he has more to prove at this point.

On a related note, is anyone else sick at the fact that there is even a contest or question over all this? The starting job was taken away half way through the year, if the guy who took over wasn't good enough to take the job that was given to him, what does it say about our situation. At this point even if KC wins, it doesn't say much for the talent we have at this position.

Great report and good to see you enjoyed yourself.

It really does suck about Clemens. I was hoping as much as anyone that he could step up and be a star, at this point it seems unlikely. From all reports I've heard, he really seems to be struggling.

Good to hear Pennington actually had a good day himself, and isn't just winning the competition out of Clemens struggles. Hopefully he can continue to play at a high level because it's looking damn sure like he's going to be starting vs Miami in week 1.

I think if Mangini hasn't made a choice by the time the preseason games start,

the one who starts the first preseason game will be the one I think he is leaning to.

The other will start the second game and when the third one comes around when

all the starters go into the third quarter the one who started the first game will

be the starting QB again and will be our QB.

I think if Mangini hasn't made a choice by the time the preseason games start,

the one who starts the first preseason game will be the one I think he is leaning to.

The other will start the second game and when the third one comes around when

all the starters go into the third quarter the one who started the first game will

be the starting QB again and will be our QB.

Yup. Although I wouldn't be surprised if Chad is named the starter even well before the 3rd pre-season game.

I'm more interested in seeing who the QB2 will be at this point. Ratliff vs. Clemens... round 1.

If Clemens enters the season at #3 on the depth chart (which right now isn't as incredibly unrealistic as before) then I think it's safe to assume he's done in this league.

Archived