Manny to the Marlins ?

shawn306

Can't see it happening but here is the lastest from ESPN.

Manny to the Marlins?

Wednesday, July 30, 2008 | Print Entry

Posted by Buster Olney

With less than 24 hours before the trade deadline, the Red Sox are engaged in serious conversations to trade Manny Ramirez to the Florida Marlins, as well as other teams. If the Red Sox make a deal with the Marlins, it is likely they would kick in money to offset Ramirez's salary, and they would look for three young players in return -- perhaps outfielder Jeremy Hermida or outfielder Josh Willingham, plus pitchers.

The Red Sox have gone down this road many times before with Ramirez, seriously discussing a deal before pulling back -- but what might be different this time is that Ramirez apparently has just two months of regular season with the Red Sox, and Boston could be asking the internal question of how invested Ramirez will be in the last days of the year.

Can't see it happening but here is the lastest from ESPN.

Manny to the Marlins?

Wednesday, July 30, 2008 | Print Entry

Posted by Buster Olney

With less than 24 hours before the trade deadline, the Red Sox are engaged in serious conversations to trade Manny Ramirez to the Florida Marlins, as well as other teams. If the Red Sox make a deal with the Marlins, it is likely they would kick in money to offset Ramirez's salary, and they would look for three young players in return -- perhaps outfielder Jeremy Hermida or outfielder Josh Willingham, plus pitchers.

The Red Sox have gone down this road many times before with Ramirez, seriously discussing a deal before pulling back -- but what might be different this time is that Ramirez apparently has just two months of regular season with the Red Sox, and Boston could be asking the internal question of how invested Ramirez will be in the last days of the year.

The Marlins have one of the lowest payrolls in the league-I can not see them doing anything like this.

Apparently this trade is closer then you think. Per Baseball Prospectus' John Perrotto has multiple baseball sources saying the Red Sox are on the verge of sending Ramirez to Florida for three players, including Outfielder Mike Stanton.

I would assume right now the deal would be

Manny Ramirez for Mike Stanton, Jeremy Hermida, and someone else.

The way I hear it is that the prospects the Sox would acquire from the Marlins would be flipped to Pittsburgh for Jason Bay, as they would need someone to protect Papi in the line-up. I imagine the Sox would eat some of the rest of Manny's money and the Marlins would decline the options as to get Manny to waive his NTC. Bay is signed through 09, so I wouldn't be completely upset by the move. I would miss Manny though.

The way I hear it is that the prospects the Sox would acquire from the Marlins would be flipped to Pittsburgh for Jason Bay, as they would need someone to protect Papi in the line-up. I imagine the Sox would eat some of the rest of Manny's money and the Marlins would decline the options as to get Manny to waive his NTC. Bay is signed through 09, so I wouldn't be completely upset by the move. I would miss Manny though.

Yeah, I just heard that now. That would be a better deal for the Sox. So basically I'm guessing it will be Hermida to Pittsburgh, Manny to Florida, and Bay to Boston. I would assume that Boston should get more, maybe they'll still get Mike Stanton out of the deal seeing how they have the best player in the deal that they're trading.

TBH rillo

they REALLY REALLY have no need to bring him back next year

why not trade him to the NL now and get something in return??

They are still in the hunt, and trading him will not make them a better team. However as a Yanks fan it wouldn't bother me one bit, Manny has been killing us for years.

"The Red Sox don't deserve a player like me," Ramirez said. "During my years here, I've seen how they [the Red Sox] have mistreated other great players when they didn't want them to try to turn the fans against them.

"The Red Sox did the same with guys like Nomar Garciaparra and Pedro Martinez, and now they do the same with me. Their goal is to paint me as the bad guy," Ramirez added. "I love Boston fans, but the Red Sox don't deserve me. I'm not talking about money. Mental peace has no price, and I don't have peace here."

Sorry Manny, but where are those guys now? Epstein and co. know when a ship is sinking and when to cut bait at the right time. I am sad to see Manny go, but there are irreconcilable differences that are causing problems for the entire team now. Red Sox traded Nomar and won a Championship. Pedro left and they got another one. Yes largley in part to you Manny, but the welcome mat is worn I suppose.

Sorry Manny, but where are those guys now? Epstein and co. know when a ship is sinking and when to cut bait at the right time. I am sad to see Manny go, but there are irreconcilable differences that are causing problems for the entire team now. Red Sox traded Nomar and won a Championship. Pedro left and they got another one. Yes largley in part to you Manny, but the welcome mat is worn I suppose.

I know Epstein wasn't there at the time, but how did getting rid of Clemens work for you guys ?

Dan Duquette was a genious I tell you. Pure genius. Other than him and maybe a couple others, the Sox management has know when to get out of a bad situation.

I do believe it's time for the Sux to part ways with Manny, but you can't possibly tell me he is washed up.

"The Red Sox don't deserve a player like me," Ramirez said. "During my years here, I've seen how they [the Red Sox] have mistreated other great players when they didn't want them to try to turn the fans against them.

"The Red Sox did the same with guys like Nomar Garciaparra and Pedro Martinez, and now they do the same with me. Their goal is to paint me as the bad guy," Ramirez added. "I love Boston fans, but the Red Sox don't deserve me. I'm not talking about money. Mental peace has no price, and I don't have peace here."

Wow, strong statements. This should be fun!

I do believe it's time for the Sux to part ways with Manny, but you can't possibly tell me he is washed up.

His production has steadily gone down. He's probably still good for .300/30/100 which by no means is washed up at all. His defense outside of the Fens is subpar and his lack of effort on the basepaths have been well documented. Theo and Co. were willing to put up with it when it was .330/45/130. Not anymore though. And not for 20 mill/yr.

CC

You can spin a Boston Tornado into a nice summer breeze

The time to get rid of Manny is after the season....if you get rid of him now, you can kiss the season buh bye

Why? The Sox played fairly well without Papi. The pitching staff will take Boston as far as it can go, which is why they haven't faired too well lately.

One less Yankee killer to worry about in the AL is a good thing.

That's all I reallly give a **** about

Get Manny far far away

I'll take my chances against Bay...and at least I feel that Moose has a chance against those Pukes

CC

You can spin a Boston Tornado into a nice summer breeze

The time to get rid of Manny is after the season....if you get rid of him now, you can kiss the season buh bye

No doubt about it....

NESN reporting Manny left after game without even going to the clubhouse. WEEI in Boston saying Sox give Manny plus 2 spects and cash and receive Bay and Grabow.. ESPN News now reporting it as well. I would say barring a strange turn of events Manny has played his last game for the Red Sox. Tonight was the most listless game I have ever seen the Red Sox play... The deal had to be done.

Bay is actually having a better year than Manny in an EXTREME pitchers park. Grabow is hot and cold..but a pretty good lefty. I don't think given the situation that the Sox could have expected any more. Bay is 7.5 mill next year then he is a FA in 2010. This could end up being a decent deal for Sox. They were going to lose Manny for next year and who knows how he would have played out the remainder of the year

Archived