USA Today Article - "Favre-to-Jets talks heat up..."

So avoidable, the whole thing.

Favre was already making noises about coming back last March. At that point, the Packers could have said, "During your retirement, we made the switch to Rodgers and we can't go back on it without hurting his development. However, we can do the traditional thing and arrange a trade to a team outside our division who wants you to start for them."

Since that would be before the draft and Favre would have several months to work with the offense, many more teams would be interested in him than are now. It is pretty common for clubs to amicably arrange for a respected player to play out the string with another club who wants him. Very often, after the player finishes with that club, he returns to his original club in some front office or PR capacity.

That's what should have been done here.

ya know last night i heard the "serious talk" story. and i was thinking "ok favre is gonna be a jet, penny is gone"

now i'm officially pissed. **** you Brett Favre, **** you Packers. go the hell away, die of freaking ball cancer brett you little *****.

I'm so happy Chad crushed you in lambaeu 2 years ago, and i hope he does the same to the rest of the league this year.

the hell with this story. take your stupid money and GO AWAY!!!

This is really tiring. How can John "turkey neck" Clayton and others "report" that Favre has no interest in playing for the Jets and then we hear this? I wish these morons in the media would say "I think" or "in my opinion" when they are expressing opinions or relaying third hand rumors.

Edited by DMaynard
Call it what it is...this team is a SUPER BOWL contender with Favre. Not playoffs..SUPER BOWL.

I'll take an "A-Hole" if he leads us to the trophy any day of the week..and more specifically Sundays.

I would take him too IF I believed he is as good as you make him out to be.

I don't.

Call it what it is...this team is a SUPER BOWL contender with Favre. Not playoffs..SUPER BOWL.

I'll take an "A-Hole" if he leads us to the trophy any day of the week..and more specifically Sundays.

There is no "with Favre" if the reports that he has no interest in the Jets are true.

This is really tiring. How can John "turkey neck" Clayton and others "report" that Favre has no interest in playing for the Jets and then we hear this? I wish these morons in the media would say "I think" or "in my opinion" when they are expressing opinions or relaying third hand rumors.

Its all hype for the diva, he'll never be a Jet. You're absolutely right, its tiring and annoying.

Umm, really? Because the Favre I'm thinking of threw inceptions like they were going out of style against NFC defenses, somehow he's magically going to do better against far superior AFC defenses? I highly doubt that. And does anyone really think he'd be willing to adhear to our form of offense, wherein he ISN'T the centerpiece? Secondly, we don't have the right kinds of receivers for Favre's style, he needs tall wideouts who can jump over defenders and catch anything he puts up, we have speed and hands receivers.

I would take him too IF I believed he is as good as you make him out to be.

I don't.

Huh?

MVP? check

SB Ring? check

All time TD leader? check

Doesn't miss a game? check

Most yards? check

Completions? check

You aren't impressed with one of if not the greatest QB to ever lace them up?

Umm, really? Because the Favre I'm thinking of threw inceptions like they were going out of style against NFC defenses, somehow he's magically going to do better against far superior AFC defenses? I highly doubt that. And does anyone really think he'd be willing to adhear to our form of offense, wherein he ISN'T the centerpiece? Secondly, we don't have the right kinds of receivers for Favre's style, he needs tall wideouts who can jump over defenders and catch anything he puts up, we have speed and hands receivers.

Absolutely.

QB's make mistakes, look no further than our roster. I've never heard the excuse that a WR is not a QB's style..he's paid to throw the ball to ANY reciever out there. Coles is a speed guy, so is Jennings. Cotchery is a possession guy, so is Javon Walker. Cothery "jumps over defenders and catches" what Pennington puts up like against the Pats in Foxboro in 2006...what's the difference? If Favre isn't the centerpiece then who is?

It really makes no difference, Favre would drastically improve this team and anyone who thinks otherwise is loony.

Seriously, can we stop talking about this for at least a day.

Unfortunately, no.

I really wish at this time of the year we could be talking about players who are going to be playing for this team in 2008. I wish we could be talking about the excitement and anticipation of the coming season. I'd rather talk about camp, the new signings, the rookies, anything!

I'm sick to death of hearing about this washed up piece of ****. I've lost all respect for what he has done to the Packers team and franchise, I genuinely hope that he does get traded to Tampa, where he can crash, burn and **** up his legacy for good. The media have built him up to be some kind of lovable legend. He's really an attention seeking prick.

Huh?

MVP? check

SB Ring? check

Most yards? check

Completions? check

He's 39. He's been awful 2 of the last 3 seasons and has done nothing that Pennington hasn't done since 2002. He's washed up. I don't care what happened last season. Yes he produced some great displays but again showed that he'll **** the bed when the elite teams come around.

Unfortunately, no.

I really wish at this time of the year we could be talking about players who are going to be playing for this team in 2008. I wish we could be talking about the excitement and anticipation of the coming season. I'd rather talk about camp, the new signings, the rookies, anything!

I'm sick to death of hearing about this washed up piece of ****. I've lost all respect for what he has done to the Packers team and franchise, I genuinely hope that he does get traded to Tampa, where he can crash, burn and **** up his legacy for good. The media have built him up to be some kind of lovable legend. He's really an attention seeking prick.

What has he done? He wants to play football and has a contract..so what?

If they want to play Rodgers and have moved on...trade him or cut him. It's not as big of a situation as everyone makes it out to be.

And by the way...Tampa was a playoff team last year, you make it sound like they would be trading him to the Fins.

Huh?

MVP? check

SB Ring? check

Most yards? check

Completions? check

This is true, however he'll be coming here with a new scheme, new WR's, limited practice time. The year he won the superbowl they had a very good defense, great oline and a horse @ RB. He hasn't been able to do nothing since, actually he kills he's team with INT's and very poor decision making.

Huh?

MVP? check

SB Ring? check

Most yards? check

Completions? check

That's a very flawed arguement. Just because he's had a great career doesn't mean he'll be great for us now. What makes you think he'll have another career season when up until last year his game had significantly declined? Also, what makes you think all the other question marks the Jets have will work out perfectly?

This team is maybe a borderline wild card team without him and a solid playoff team with him. We'd have to take some serious leaps forward to be superbowl contenders, with or without Favre. Which is why I say getting him is a waste of time. I hope its true that he doesn't want to play for us.

He's 39. He's been awful 2 of the last 3 seasons and has done nothing that Pennington hasn't done since 2002. He's washed up.

He's 38...and if taking your team to the NFC Championship game is doing nothing...then sign me the **** up and I'll hope that Brett Favre does "something" for this franchise.

He's 38...and if taking your team to the NFC Championship game is doing nothing...then sign me the **** up and I'll hope that Brett Favre does "something" for this franchise.

He would not get to a championship game in the AFC. Not a chance in Hell!

This is true, however he'll be coming here with a new scheme, new WR's, limited practice time. The year he won the superbowl they had a very good defense, great oline and a horse @ RB. He hasn't been able to do nothing since, actually he kills he's team with INT's and very poor decision making.

Very good points, but I'm sure if Mangini and co were to pull the trigger they would adapt to Brett's style of play. He's been in the league forever, I'm sure reading defenses and "gelling" with WR's comes natural to him.

The INT's do scare me, because he also is the all-time leader in that category.

The Jets don't have the balls to make a play for Favre, but I get excited thinking about the Jets having a vertical passing game.

Really isn't hard to get to the NFC championship, its a horrible conference and he's division had some pretty bad teams for some years. Also, the past couple of playoff appearances by Brett have been pretty bad, too many INT's and bad decision's. The knock on him is that he can't win the big games anymore, and it really seems that way.

That's a very flawed arguement. Just because he's had a great career doesn't mean he'll be great for us now. What makes you think he'll have another career season when up until last year his game had significantly declined? Also, what makes you think all the other question marks the Jets have will work out perfectly?

This team is maybe a borderline wild card team without him and a solid playoff team with him. We'd have to take some serious leaps forward to be superbowl contenders, with or without Favre. Which is why I say getting him is a waste of time. I hope its true that he doesn't want to play for us.

Nothing, it's an absolute crapshoot as far as the other question marks we have.

But I do know Favre is > than #10 and 11.

Defenses gameplan for Brett Favre, at age 38 or not. They don't do that for Pennington or Kellen.

I don't see how getting Favre for a year or two is wasting anymore time than hoping Penny throws harder or Kellen develops more.

Very good points, but I'm sure if Mangini and co were to pull the trigger they would adapt to Brett's style of play. He's been in the league forever, I'm sure reading defenses and "gelling" with WR's comes natural to him.

The INT's do scare me, because he also is the all-time leader in that category.

The Jets don't have the balls to make a play for Favre, but I get excited thinking about the Jets having a vertical passing game.

I'm almost sure if the price was right, Jets would've pulled the trigger. However Favre doesn't wanna play here. He won't even talk to us, its a moot point, its just media hype.

Attaboy IJ, love your faith in this team.

He would go up against the likes of Pittsburgh, Jacksonville, San Diego and New England in the AFC.

I wasn't even talking about the Jets at all. I was talking about Favre in terms of last year. You were saying that Favre got the Pack to and NFC title game and I'm telling you I don't think that would have happened had he have been in the AFC. He beat an overrated Seattle team and then got exposed vs the Giants. Badly.

Had he went up against any of the teams I listed (Except maybe Jax) I think he would have been dominated.

His performances last season were overrated IMHO.

Really isn't hard to get to the NFC championship, its a horrible conference and he's division had some pretty bad teams for some years. Also, the past couple of playoff appearances by Brett have been pretty bad, too many INT's and bad decision's. The knock on him is that he can't win the big games anymore, and it really seems that way.

Is Seattle's D a joke?

He beat them in the playoffs.

Is the Giants D a joke?

Beat them in the regular season, lost in the NFC C game in OT

Denver? Carolina?

Come on..you make it sound like he's tested against D-II schools.

With conflicted reports, I'd rather hear it from the horse's mouth.

that's a little tough right now what with ESPN's 37 reporters each giving a different story about what they will do.

I'll bet he's really not considering the offer they just made it up as to create "controversy"

ugh

• Upvote 1