Jets News 8/2

BP

REVIS TRAINING TO LOCK DOWN CORNER

By LENN ROBBINS

Posted: 3:38 am

August 2, 2008

Jet cornerback Darrelle Revis Darrelle Revis didn't need to get to his first training camp to learn what he didn't do right in his rookie season.

"Going through the season last year and then watching film on it just shows you that I was running out there with my head cut off," Revis said yesterday. "Now I understand the defensive schemes more. I understand what I'm supposed to do at a certain time. I think it's key to know that.

"Last year I knew a couple of things in the playbook," he said. "But now it's being smarter."

The Jets New York Jets are counting on Revis, their first-round pick last season (14th overall), to emerge as a lockdown corner this year. They traded up to get the former Pittsburgh star from Aliquippa, and coach Eric Mangini offered unsolicited praise yesterday for Revis.

"Darrelle really did have a nice season last year for such a young guy," said Mangini. "And he's responded in ways, as a coach, you're always excited to see. He's taken this extra time that he didn't have last year and taken to heart the concept of going out each day and working on something, some kind of weakness and getting that better."

"And it may not be a glaring weakness, it may be something that you want to refine, training his body, getting his footwork as solid as it can be against a lot of different looks," added Mangini.

"And he's always challenging guys. He's challenging receivers. He wants to go against the toughest guy all the time, the toughest route all the time, put himself in those hard situations, so that when he faces them in a game, they're not as hard. He's seen it, and he understands how to deal with it."

Revis dealt with things very well last season. His 91 tackles were third highest on the team and he had 14 passes defended and three interceptions.

In yesterday's scrimmage, Revis reached around a receiver to knock away quarterback Chad Pennington's second pass attempt. Revis is ready for stardom.

"A shutdown corner, that's a big phrase," he said.

The Jets are expecting big things.

The Jets released Jerry Mackey Jerry Mackey and signed former Penn State RB Rodney Kinlaw and safety Nate Lyles. ... Artrell Hawkins decided to retire. . . . Pennington threw his first two interceptions of training camp in yesterday's green and white practice for today's scrimmage at Hofstra's Shuart Stadium, which will begin at 1 p.m. The first came on Pennington's third pass attempt when Kerry Rhodes showed his veteran smarts by reading the QB's eyes. The second pick was deflected at the line.

It was a great day for former Clemson players. Second-year receiver Chansi Stuckey had a bunch of nice grabs including a 6-yard touchdown catch, while fourth-year corner Justin Miller had the second pick of Pennington and one off Erik Ainge. . . . The best catch of the day was hauled in by tight end Bubba Franks who wrestled a deep ball over the middle away from rookie corner Dwight Lowery. . . . Mike Nugent ended yesterday's practice by booming a 54-yard field goal that would have been good from 64. He said he's been hitting the ball very well and it showed.

lenn.robbins@nypost.com

MANGINI UPSET BY PRACTICE

By MARK CANNIZZARO

Posted: 2:49 am

August 1, 2008

The kinder, gentler Eric Mangini hardened slightly yesterday as he watched a sloppy morning practice in the summer heat.

Mangini, who has kept practices to fewer than two hours this camp and even surprised the players with a no-practice day earlier this week, took practice to two hours, 10 minutes in the morning because he didn't like what he was seeing.

"My frustration was we were trying to get through practice rather than practicing with a purpose," Mangini said. "That's not acceptable. We have to be more efficient. It's going to be hot in Miami and it's hot now. We're going to be tired in Miami, we're tired now.

"These aren't long practices compared [to last summer]. Come on, it's a joke compared to what we have done. Everyone has to uphold their end of the bargain. When much is given, much is expected and we're not getting that."

Mangini insisted that it wasn't about effort, it was about results.

"I'm looking for efficiency in practice, practicing with a purpose," he said. "We don't have to be perfect, just better than where we were the day before."

The Jets New York Jets will practice once today, but it's closed to the public. Tomorrow they have a "green-white" scrimmage at the Hofstra football stadium and that is open to the public. Fans are encouraged to bring non-perishable food goods that will be distributed to the underprivileged.

Mangini will put the team through "real game conditions" and the mechanics of everything that happens on Sundays.

Asked about TE Chris Baker Chris Baker , who remains on the physically unable to perform list, Mangini said: "His status is unchanged. He's getting in good shape. We've just got to see as the week goes on here. Each day we got to be making some progress."

Brett Favre trade unlikely, but Jets still hoping to land QB

BY RICH CIMINI

DAILY NEWS SPORTS WRITER

Friday, August 1st 2008, 9:05 PM

If the Jets' flirtation with Brett Favre were a football game, it would be the "Midnight Miracle" against the Dolphins in 2000. They seem hopelessly behind, but they're not surrendering just yet.

Even with growing speculation that Favre will accept the Packers' $20 million offer to stay retired and serve in a marketing role with the franchise, the Jets still consider themselves a player in the Favre sweepstakes, a person familiar with the team's thinking said Friday.

The Jets realize it's a longshot, but maybe they're hoping to be the only empty chair for Favre when the music stops. Then again, there's no guarantee that would work, either.

In comments on Thursday night to ESPN, Favre made it pretty clear he has no interest in the Jets. Although he didn't mention the Jets by name, the future Hall of Famer said his preference is to play for the Packers or another NFC North team, presumably the Vikings.

Perhaps convinced he isn't going to get his wish, Favre indicated he's considering the Packers' money-for-nothing offer, which has been on the table since his tearful retirement in March, the team said.

The Jets have permission to speak to Favre - they've been talking to his agent, Bus Cook - but the Packers' legend doesn't seem eager to hear from them. The Packers would love to trade him to the Jets, getting him out of the NFC, but he could quash any deal by simply staying retired.

So the stalemate continued Friday, as the NFL held up Favre's reinstatement for another day. Commissioner Roger Goodell sat on the reinstatement letter for a fourth straight day, giving the two sides more time to work out a resolution to the soap opera that has captivated the league.

"Brett needs to stay a part of football," Packers coach Mike McCarthy said Friday, referring to the blockbuster marketing offer. "Obviously, he's part of the Green Bay Packers. This (offer) is really something that has been out there all along."

On Wednesday, Packers president and CEO Mark Murphy flew to Mississippi to meet with Favre and Cook. Murphy apparently convinced Favre to reconsider the marketing deal, reportedly a 10-year package.

"This is bigger than all of us, bigger than the organization and bigger than Brett Favre," McCarthy said. "It's really a league issue, with all the things that have gone on. We've done a good job of staying away from it. It's something that we all want resolved."

At Jets camp, where the Favre speculation has been hovering for eight days, quarterback Kellen Clemens managed a laugh when informed of the latest twist in the Favre drama - the $20 million.

"I don't know if anyone would hate him for it," Clemens said. "Not too many guys get that kind of offer to retire."

PICKED APART: Chad Pennington, outperforming Clemens in the quarterback race, threw two interceptions in one practice Friday - his first two of training camp. Clemens enjoyed one of his better practices. ... Journeyman S Artrell Hawkins, 31, struggling through camp with injuries, informed Eric Mangini that he's retiring. The former Bengal, Panther and Patriot was placed on the reserve/retired list. ... The annual Green and White scrimmage will be held at 1 p.m. today at Hofstra's Shuart Stadium. ... WR Laveranues Coles (thigh) and LB David Harris (thigh) remained on the sideline, but their injuries are short term, according to Mangini. ... Mangini gushed about first-year WR David Clowney, a former Packers draft pick. "They've got to pop off the screen ... and Clowney has popped," he said. ... CB Justin Miller had two interceptions Friday.

Mangini: the QB who finishes strongest wins job

BY ERIK BOLAND | erik.boland@newsday.com

August 2, 2008

Jets coach Eric Mangini compared the quarterback competition between Chad Pennington and Kellen Clemens to a horse race that was still in its early stages.

"Bill [belichick] showed a horse race one time in New England," Mangini said Friday. "We were 5-5, the Super Bowl year [in 2001]. It was around the first bend he asked somebody, 'Well, who's leading?' And somebody says, 'Horse 5.' And he said, 'Well, it really doesn't matter, does it? It really doesn't matter who's leading right here.' The point is that all that matters is where you finish, not how you're running the race."

Clemens broke poorly in this particular race, throwing six interceptions in the first nine practices of training camp. But he has performed better the last two days, looking more relaxed and throwing zero interceptions. Pennington threw two picks, his first of camp, Friday.

"It's all about coming out here and improving day-to-day," Clemens said. "You are going to make mistakes, no one is perfect. You learn from those and you try to eliminate repetitive mistakes. You just try to get better with each day."

Jet streams

WR Laveranues Coles (leg) and LB David Harris (leg) did not practice for the third straight day and worked out separately on the sideline. Both are questionable for Saturday's scrimmage. "I think they're both on a relatively short timeline but those timelines change all the time," Mangini said ... The Jets made official a couple of roster moves. They waived LB Jerry Mackey, a Freeport High School graduate, and re-signed S Nate Lyles, who had been waived just before camp. Additionally, Mangini said that 10-year veteran S Artrell Hawkins had "decided to move on to the next phase of his life," and retired. To take his spot, RB Rodney Kinlaw, a rookie from Penn State, was signed ... The Green and White Practice at 1 p.m. at Shuart Stadium is part of a day of Jets-related activities, which begin at 10 a.m. Included is a food drive that benefits The INN (Interfaith Nutrition Network) and the Jets are asking fans to bring nonperishable food items.

Jets' Revis his own worst critic

August 2, 2008

There seems to be a disconnect between Eric Mangini and Darrelle Revis on just how good a first season the rookie cornerback had.

"Darrelle really did have a nice season last year for such a young guy," the Jets' coach said before Friday's practice.

Revis' analysis?

"Going through the season last year and watching film in the offseason, it just shows you I was running out there with my head cut off," Revis said.

Revis spoke on the turf at Hofstra's Shuart Stadium after the Jets spent the afternoon preparing for Saturday's Green and White Practice. And as if he had heard Mangini's raves about him in his prepractice news conference, Revis deflected the first pass of the day, a short throw by Chad Pennington into the flat to Brad Smith.

"With Darrelle, you're not going to get an uncompetitive play," Mangini said Thursday, a day in which he criticized his team for a poor morning practice. "He challenges every play."

That's something the 5-11, 204-pound Revis wasn't able to do last year at this time because he missed the first 20 days of training camp in a contract dispute. But regardless of his absence, it soon became clear that Revis was the best cornerback in camp; he started the season opener against the Patriots and every game thereafter. He ended up leading the team with 77 solo tackles and 13 passes defensed. His 91 total tackles ranked third on the team and he was second with three interceptions.

A good year by any objective standard, but Revis, because of the time he missed in training camp, still felt behind.

"Now I understand the defensive schemes more, I understand what I'm supposed to do at certain times," Revis said. "I think it's key to know that: what to do at certain times, where to be at. Last year I knew a couple of things in the playbook, but now it's being smarter and learning the whole defense."

Mangini has no doubt that he will and seems to have developed a bond with the young cornerback, who looks as if he could be on the verge of stardom. Mangini, a longtime defensive backs coach, has observed Revis emerge as a leader in position meetings and on the field, where he's proven to be a quick study. Mangini recalled a play from Tuesday in which Revis stepped in front of Kellen Clemens' pass intended for Wallace Wright on the sideline and made the interception.

"He had learned from the day before that it was going to be some type of X isolation route and probably be a comeback," Mangini said. "So that's what he processed, that's why he got the jump that he got on it, and that's why he got the pick that he had."

More picks are sure to follow, but don't expect much in the way of grandiose celebration or in-your-face antics afterward. Many of the NFL's top cornerbacks through the years have been, to put it mildly, chatty in nature. But Revis, who listed Champ Bailey as the cornerback he most looks up to, does not fit the Deion Sanders mold of trash-talking cornerback.

"No, I don't talk junk," Revis said with a laugh. "I don't talk junk, I just go out there and have fun. To me, I think, that's just a distraction. Just play. Just play football and compete."

Mangini hot under collar after sweltering practice

August 1, 2008

For the first time this training camp, Eric Mangini expressed some disgust with his players after a practice and ripped into them. Or at least what amounts to a rip job by Mangini.

He spoke in his usual reserved tone, but his words were strong. And his practice was the longest yet of camp: 2 hours and 9 minutes. The afternoon practice lasted 2 hours, 3 minutes, the second-longest practice of camp.

"There's a real progression during camp and there's so many guys, you're giving guys opportunities to make a case for themselves," Mangini said after the morning workout, conducted in 90-degree heat and high humidity. "Where I get frustrated is when today ... it was more trying to get through practice than practicing with a purpose. And that's not acceptable."

Mangini thought that what has been the single hottest day of camp had something to do with the shoddy workout. That irritated him further, considering the Jets open the regular season in Miami, where it's almost guaranteed to be sweltering.

"It's going to be hot in Miami, it's hot now," Mangini said. "We're going to be tired in that game, we're tired now. We have to be able to deal with those things and still get done what we have to get done."

Jet streams

WR Laveranues Coles (thigh) and LB David Harris (leg), did not practice, nor did RB Jesse Chatman, sidelined with an undisclosed ailment. S Artrell Hawkins missed the morning practice but returned in the afternoon. TE Chris Baker remains on the physically unable to perform (PUP) list with a back injury ... Tomorrow's green- and-white scrimmage, sort of a fan festival at Shuart Stadium, begins at 10 a.m. with practice at 1 p.m. Fans are asked to bring non-perishable food items as part of a food drive benefiting the INN (Interfaith Nutrition Network). The INN operates soup kitchens and shelters on Long Island.

New York Jets' Clemens is closing the gap on Pennington at quarterback

\:D/

by Dave Hutchinson/The Star-Ledger

Friday August 01, 2008, 11:51 PM

HEMPSTEAD, N.Y. -- With each day of the Jets' quarterback competition at training camp, two things become clearer: Kellen Clemens continues to play better, and Brett Favre remains -- at least in terms of rumors -- as much a presence as Clemens or veteran Chad Pennington.

Clemens got off to a miserable start but has come on in recent days and might yet put up a good fight. He has thrown the ball well, especially on deep patterns, and has gone two days without throwing an interception after throwing one in each of the first six days of practice.

Meanwhile, Favre's interest in the Jets -- and vice versa -- again created a stir, even though the organization has had nothing more than a cursory interest in the Packers legend in the first place, as was reported in The Star-Ledger this week.

The quarterback told ESPN yesterday that he had no interest in playing for the Jets and is mulling a $20 million offer from the Packers to stay retired.

A person with knowledge of the Jets' thinking told The Star-Ledger this week that the chances were "very remote" of Favre becoming a Jet and that general manager Mike Tannenbaum was simply doing his due diligence. The person spoke on condition of anonymity because he's not authorized to speak for the Jets, Packers or Favre.

As for Clemens and Pennington, the pair that split all of the starts last season for the Jets will square off at 1 p.m. today in an intra-squad scrimmage at Hofstra's James M. Shuart Stadium.

"It's really a marathon, not a sprint, so you've got to look at it day-to-day, look at the progress, look at where you are at the end of it," coach Eric Mangini said.

The expected duel between Pennington and Clemens has been a dud. As Clemens struggled early, Pennington didn't capitalize and the gap has closed. Pennington threw two interceptions in yesterday's helmet-and-shorts, pre-scrimmage practice, his first interceptions in 11 training camp practices during 11-on-11 drills.

Clemens connected with wide receiver Wallace Wright on a fade route and threw a strike to rookie tight end Dustin Keller on a slant pattern. He just missed wide receiver David Clowney with a tight spiral down the sideline.

"I think the whole idea of training camp is to come and work to improve and get ready for the opener down in Miami," Clemens said. "For me personally, there have been some throws that I wanted back but the last three or four days I've had a chance to look at them and learn from them and I'm not making the same mistakes."

Asked if he has been focused on cutting down his mistakes, Clemens said, "absolutely."

"Turnovers is the No. 1 factor in winning and losing," he said. "Interceptions are something you have control of (in trying) to eliminate as much as possible."

Last season, Clemens threw five touchdowns and 10 interceptions while posting a 3-5 record in eight starts. Despite those numbers, Clemens was given at least an even shot at beating out Pennington.

With the improvement along the offensive line -- with the addition of left guard Alan Faneca and right tackle Damien Woody -- the Jets feel they can win with either quarterback. The line has been impressive in training camp.

Clemens acknowledged his early struggles, but insists he wasn't pressing or feeling weighed down by the Favre rumors.

"No, not really," he said. "I've had some plays and some throws that I'd want back and a lot of times those overshadow what would've been a good practice without the one throw.

"So I try to look at it as a whole. It's a marathon, not a sprint. It's a lot of football to be played."

Mangini: the QB who finishes strongest wins job

August 2, 2008

Jets coach Eric Mangini compared the quarterback competition between Chad Pennington and Kellen Clemens to a horse race that was still in its early stages.

"Bill [belichick] showed a horse race one time in New England," Mangini said Friday. "We were 5-5, the Super Bowl year [in 2001]. It was around the first bend he asked somebody, 'Well, who's leading?' And somebody says, 'Horse 5.' And he said, 'Well, it really doesn't matter, does it? It really doesn't matter who's leading right here.' The point is that all that matters is where you finish, not how you're running the race."

Clemens broke poorly in this particular race, throwing six interceptions in the first nine practices of training camp. But he has performed better the last two days, looking more relaxed and throwing zero interceptions. Pennington threw two picks, his first of camp, Friday.

"It's all about coming out here and improving day-to-day," Clemens said. "You are going to make mistakes, no one is perfect. You learn from those and you try to eliminate repetitive mistakes. You just try to get better with each day."

Jet streams

WR Laveranues Coles (leg) and LB David Harris (leg) did not practice for the third straight day and worked out separately on the sideline. Both are questionable for Saturday's scrimmage. "I think they're both on a relatively short timeline but those timelines change all the time," Mangini said ... The Jets made official a couple of roster moves. They waived LB Jerry Mackey, a Freeport High School graduate, and re-signed S Nate Lyles, who had been waived just before camp. Additionally, Mangini said that 10-year veteran S Artrell Hawkins had "decided to move on to the next phase of his life," and retired. To take his spot, RB Rodney Kinlaw, a rookie from Penn State, was signed ... The Green and White Practice at 1 p.m. at Shuart Stadium is part of a day of Jets-related activities, which begin at 10 a.m. Included is a food drive that benefits The INN (Interfaith Nutrition Network) and the Jets are asking fans to bring nonperishable food items.

This quote by Mangini pretty much confirms that the CS of the Jets are, in fact, rooting for Clemens to win this compettition. Of course, if Pennington is clearly the better QB, he's going to start this season. However, if they are pretty much even b the end of TC, I will bet whatever anyone wants to lose the KC will be the new QB of the NYJ.

Archived