Jets | Front-runner for Law

TaborJet

Jets | Front-runner for Law

Tue, 2 Aug 2005 17:02:10 -0700

Adam Schefter, of the NFL Network, reports free agent CB Ty Law (Patriots) is set to meet with New York Jets officials to see if they can work out a deal. The Jets appear to be the front-runner for his services during the upcoming season.

By Adam Schefter

Special to NFL.com

Aug. 2, 2005) -- Jets running back Curtis Martin has been recruiting free-agent cornerback Ty Law to come to New York. Instead, for now, Law's agent, Carl Poston, is now coming.

Poston is scheduled to arrive in New York on Aug. 3, for a meeting with Jets officials to see if they can work out a deal for Law. The Jets are considered the favorite to land Law's services, and the Jets and Poston plan to break bread to see if they can agree. If they can, Law will play for the Patriots' biggest rival, the Jets.

Also on the Law front, there is a late entry into inquiring about his services. The St. Louis Rams have called this week to express what it would take to sign Law, but they are not as serious as some of the other teams that have been speaking with Law and his representatives throughout this offseason. They would seem to be fishing at this point -- but the Jets aren't.

The Jets will only be taking Poston to dinner. Law is not scheduled to make the trip to New York, not at this time. Maybe the money the Jets save on Law's dinner could be applied to his signing bonus.

Every morning I sign on and hope to see that the Jets sign this guy and every morning all I hear about is how close he is to signing. The suspense is driving me crazy.

Don't worry rsherry. Just like every big name FA the Jets have tried to coax here, he will sign elsewhere at the last minute, despite every report saying otherwise.

And no one will be happier than I am. Say NO to expensive, old corners. I have more faith in Donnie Henderson than that.

Archived