Hughes/Pavano Watch

MagicBizkit87

From Chad Jennings - Good Stuff

Did you know Phil Hughes (left) has scrapped his slider in favor of a cutter? I did not. But once I found out, tonight's outing made a lot more sense.

Throughout the game, Hughes kept having success with an 87-89 mph pitch that seemed to have more movement than his regular fastball but too much velocity for a slider. He used it to strike out George Kottaras in the first inning, he used it to get a double play in the second, and he threw it off the plate to setup a 93 mph fastball for his final strikeout in the fifth. I thought he might be taking something off his fastball and getting a little extra movement, but no. New pitch. New to me, anyway.

The slider I thought I saw in the third inning was just a cutter with a lot of movement.

My own ignorance of the Phil Hughes arsenal aside, the guy pitched pretty well tonight. His fastball touched 95 four times in the first inning, and regularly sat 93-94 most of the night. He leaned heavily on the fastball and cutter through the first three innings before mixing in his other pitches more often in the fourth and fifth. He threw three straight changeups the second time he faced Chris Carter. The first two missed up. The third got a routine popup.

"I was frustrated and I really wanted to throw one for a strike," Hughes said.

Assuming he's not called to New York in the next five days, Hughes will throw 85 pitches on Tuesday in Pawtucket. Scranton/Wilkes-Barre has an off day on Monday, but Nardi Contreras said Hughes will stay on his five-day schedule, meaning someone will be bumped back a day to make room for Hughes.

Hughes will be beating the Pawtucket Red Sox again today, and I would assume that this will be his last start in AAA Scranton. His pitch count I think is up to the 80-85 mark this start. I also believe Pavano is making a start for AA Trenton today. I wouldn't be shocked if both move up 1 league after these starts.

Hughes sitting at 93 mph? I'll believe it when I see it. I havent seen that from him in over a year.

Well I was watching his last start on Sopcast, and he was infact hitting 93 alot. I keep telling everyone, you will see a different Phil Hughes, maybe one similar to the one you saw late last year, and in the playoffs last year.

Well I was watching his last start on Sopcast, and he was infact hitting 93 alot. I keep telling everyone, you will see a different Phil Hughes, maybe one similar to the one you saw late last year, and in the playoffs last year.

He didnt impress me much then either. If he's not back to being the guy he was before his little hamstring injury vs texas then forget about him ever being a #1 starter.

Didn't he have like a 2.50 ERA then? A 2.50 ERA doesn't impress you?

I dont know what his era was but he was throwing a loopy slow curve, no changeup and barely 90-91 mph on his fastball, just not the same guy.

I read they changed his mechanics after he came back off the DL. #-o

I think the Yankees may make him throw one more start down there, I don't really understand why they would do that though. His pitch count will probably be up to the 95-100 area in his next start, so it's time to bring him up. Melancon ****ed up Hughes score card, and made him looked like he pitched worse then he actually did. Those first 5 innings Hughes threw were outstanding.

Bring him up!

According to the announcer, 2 of Hughes' strikeouts came on changeups that froze hitters on the outside corner.

Thanks for the update, WOJ.

Archived