1 member has voted

1. 1. Pro Herm or Anti Herm?

• Pro Herm
    • Anti-Herm
    • vehemently and/or rabidly anti-Herm

• Replies 419
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Go look at the past Super Bowl winners in the past decade, nearly everyone of them carried a "weak" schedule. Does that take away from what they did?

The Bills had the same schedule as us nearly and everyone was riding their jock, but when the Jets do well vs. an inferior schedule it's only because they faced lesser competition. That's complete bullsh*t.

I'll go deeper with this schedule non-sense if you'd really like but you won't win so I wouldn't pursue it further.

First off, I couldn't agree more with you about Buffalo last year. (Of course, when WE lose to them, it was against "stiff competition" by the league's late-season darling. The difference with those SB winners is that they also beat GOOD teams (not the least of which was the opposing conference champion). We lose to these teams. Blame always gets pawned off on those without H.E. as their initials: Vinny, Chad, Carter, Jordan, Conway, Moss, Becht, Cotrell, Hackett, Curl, Hall, Brien. It's always someone else's fault. Herm's supporters love to give him credit for the wins but when his idiocy results in losses, it's "Hey, the coach can't go out there and make the plays for them."

Pro-Herm (for now)

I'm for Herm because I think a coach should get credit for rebuilding both sides of the ball and still continuing to win.

I'm for Herm because I like the way the players perform for him (see: Carroll, Pete).

I've been a Jet Fan since the Titan days, and this is the longest period of good football we've had (in my recollection, anyway). Surely Herm has to get some credit for that.

Now that I've said that, if I see any more clock fiascos, or relying on 40 yard field goals, I'll change my tune.

I am luke warm Herm- so I can not vote in this poll-want to see him succeed but knowing he does not have the knowledge or expertise to do so. Call me a chicken for not voting

Ah, Nice to see all of the JetNation mods have such a strong sense of conviction.

It leads to good decision making capabilities.

:shock::shock::shock:

I am pro herm

sure he has his weak points as a head coach but I think the positives out weigh the negatives by far.

I liked how he got the team to play as a team going into the playoffs. everyone who suited up against sd & pitt played their hearts out & herm should get the credit for that.

I am however anti dick curl :lol:

I liked how he got the team to play as a team going into the playoffs

I cannot say this stronngly enough-the Dungy/Schottenheiner idea Herm seems to buy into is that any season that ends in a playoff berth is a successful one.And it's wrong.

After 1998, Parcells(again-not a nice man but a great coach) pointedly said that any carryover was nonsense, 1998 meant nothing in 1999 and he was right. You get the sense Edwards really gets affirmation just getting there. I don't see that as a rousing success, just a step on the way. That "we'll get'em next time" stuff is BS. And Edwards thinks he can get away with it.

And really-miracle kicks in 2001-just getting there.

Lucking into a QB he wanted nothing to do with and having the FIns collapse in 2002-just getting there.

2003-sucking.

2004-blowing a divsion and coming damn close to missing altogether-just getting there.

Sorry-I won't be impressed until he get this team into an AFC title game, preferably at home. How about a winning an AFC title and getting a bye? Because if you look at the teams for a while that get it doen, they have that 1st week off.

I cannot say this stronngly enough-the Dungy/Schottenheiner idea Herm seems to buy into is that any season that ends in a playoff berth is a successful one.And it's wrong.

After 1998, Parcells(again-not a nice man but a great coach) pointedly said that any carryover was nonsense, 1998 meant nothing in 1999 and he was right. You get the sense Edwards really gets affirmation just getting there. I don't see that as a rousing success, just a step on the way. That "we'll get'em next time" stuff is BS. And Edwards thinks he can get away with it.

And really-miracle kicks in 2001-just getting there.

Lucking into a QB he wanted nothing to do with and having the FIns collapse in 2002-just getting there.

2003-sucking.

2004-blowing a divsion and coming damn close to missing altogether-just getting there.

Sorry-I won't be impressed until he get this team into an AFC title game, preferably at home. How about a winning an AFC title and getting a bye? Because if you look at the teams for a while that get it doen, they have that 1st week off.

You must be a hard man to please. So basically every other coach out this is sh*t because they don't win the Super Bowl. Only one good coach a year. Makes sense.

BZ

Show me where they overachieved. Show me the day that Edwards did something in game(against Bellichick, perhaps?) that made you say this guy stole the game. In fact, there's plenty of examples of his mismanagement costing them games. I look it as blowing chances. 30 odd years between championships(won when I was toddler) can do that to you.

Pro-Herm guys:

Just explain this one thing to me:

The OC, DC, and HC have a body of work between 2001 and 2004; the OC and DC, were judged (rightfully so) undeserving of retaining their positions, and were fired.

Herm gets an extension and a raise.

I don't get that.

The team performed well in the most part in those seasons. The changes were made in order to get to VERY WELL.

I am pro herm

sure he has his weak points as a head coach but I think the positives out weigh the negatives by far.

I liked how he got the team to play as a team going into the playoffs. everyone who suited up against sd & pitt played their hearts out & herm should get the credit for that.

I am however anti d!ck curl :lol:

Ladies and Gentleman...our first ever pro-herm Post Of The Day!

Show me where they overachieved. Show me the day that Edwards did something in game(against Bellichick, perhaps?) that made you say this guy stole the game. In fact, there's plenty of examples of his mismanagement costing them games. I look it as blowing chances. 30 odd years between championships(won when I was toddler) can do that to you.

Nobody points fingers when we win, plain and simpler.

Fact:

- Herm started the team to its best start in the history of the NYJ

- Herm ranks in the top 5 for HC in winning for coaches been there more than 3 years

- Herm has gotten the NYJ (hell or high water) into the playoffs 3 out of 4 years.

So you can spend hours writing up his faults, but net net he is leading this team to winning and getting closer to the chance to win the big game.

BZ

I'll know after we complete the year of no excuses - currently in deadlock on the subject. If he steps on Dinger and Donnie and doesn't let them do their jobs - I'll drive the bus, and keep backing up over him till he's done.

I'm still waiting for someone, anyone, to show me another Jets coach that has led the team to more consistent winning than Herm.... Other than the Weeb in his one season of Glory (now 35+ years ago, 35!!!) we have not, as an organization, has this kind of winner as our leader. You can talk up the Tunasteak as much as you like, but the difference between the Tunas best and Herms is 6 inches on a Doug Brien kick. 6. inches.

I don't give Herm a free pass, and I expect improvement on the prolems he has. And certainly, if he goes 6 and 10 in the relatively weaker AFC East, with a weakened Pats (don't start with me Tex, you KNOW they are weaker than last year), a mediacre Buffalo with a new QB and a complete unknown, likely mediocre Phins as our direct competition. If Herm cannot succeed vs. this division, then he SHOULD face some heat, some pressure.

And yes, Herm is clearly in the Marty/Dungy/Edwards school of "Make the Playoffs Every Year and See What Happens" school of coaches. Buy you know what....I bet the CHiefs would kill for the boring old "Playoffs Every Year" era of Marty. And while the change in Tampa DID result in a Ring, Tampa is paying that price now, with year after year of mediocrity and no sign of improvement. And they were more lucky than many give then credit in getting that ring. So, replacing the "Playoffs Every Season" coach has been, lately, a 50/50 proposition at best.

I guess many of you have simply forgotton what our organization was like for 20 or 30 years. We did what YOU ALL would do all the time, changed coaches over and over. And every time it failed. What makes you think some random college coach or Co is going to be so much better than 9-7/10-6 and in the playoffs every year?

I suppose it all comes down to 2005. This is a year that can make or break Herm Edwards. Success (AFC Championship Game Appearance and Competativeness) gives Herm some real cushion as coach. Failure (8-8 and No Playoffs, or worse) puts him on the "Win or be Fired" hotseat for 2006. Like it or not, but that is how our owner sees it IMO.

Exactly! That's why Herm Edwards reminds me of Lloyd Carr. Winning the Big 11 and going to the Rose Bowl (of course, not winning it) is the goal. Getting the to the playoffs (not winning while there) is the goal. I don't care how many 9-10-11 win seasons you have... you've got to produce when you're in the playoffs. Herm hasn't done that, and he's had chances to do so!

Exactly! That's why Herm Edwards reminds me of Lloyd Carr. Winning the Big 11 and going to the Rose Bowl (of course, not winning it) is the goal. Getting the to the playoffs (not winning while there) is the goal. I don't care how many 9-10-11 win seasons you have... you've got to produce when you're in the playoffs. Herm hasn't done that, and he's had chances to do so!

There are two choices. Getting to the playoffs and NOT getting to the playoffs. Quick, which do you choose?

I think Herm is right, there are two season, your goal is to win one season (regular) so you can get into the next season (playoffs) and win that one. He never said that he wanted to lose in the playoffs, but certainly last year, we were up against better teams. That is not a coaching thing, it is a talent thing. We came up against some of the best NFL teams in the playoffs and won a hard one on the road and almost won the second hard one on the road.

Yes, we all get it, the Super Bowl is what every fan wants, but you have to know that you can't win a Super Bowl if you can't get to and stay in, the playoffs.

BZ

:shock::shock::shock:

As a Pats fan, I hope they extend Hermy's contract for another 10 years. :wink:

As a Jets fan, I'd be happy if Herm can continue to bring us 75% Playoffs seasons for the next 10 years.....that's 7 or 8 chances in a decade to get the the Super Bowl. I've yet to hear a suggestion of who we could hire that could do better than that.

Winning spoils fans, who suddenly forget how hard it is to be a winner. Suddenly that grass over THERE looks so much greener. And what do you usually end up with.....something not as good as you once had.

I don't want to make that mistake. At leats not today.

And while the change in Tampa DID result in a Ring, Tampa is paying that price now, with year after year of mediocrity and no sign of improvement. And they were more lucky than many give then credit in getting that ring.

I would GLADLY take back-to-back losing seasons if it meant a championship in the previous season. I want to see the Jets WIN a championship, not simply be competitve every year and have nothing to show for it. I'm tired of watching our division rival hoist the Lombardi trophy over their head while we sit there dumbfounded wondering how the hell we let THEIR head coach and his coordinators slip away from us. Herm is what he is. He's Tony Dungy. He's Marty Schotenheimer. He's Wayne Fontes.

It seems a lot of you still subscribe to the losing mindet. This franchise has, for the most part, sucked for the past 35+ years. The big thing that a lot of you are missing is that this is a far different NFL. This is an NFL where a team like the Rams, Ravens, or Patriots can rise from the ashes and win a championship after being a doormat the previous season. The Jets past has NO RELEVANCE WHATSOEVER here. Herm is winning because this is an extremely talented team, not because he's a great coach. This mentality that it's okay to flutter just above mediocrity and sneak into the playoffs every year just because this team was 1-15 about ten years ago is pathetic. The bottom line is that this team has consistently been a winner since 1997 and the farthest we've ever gotten came seven years ago. It's time to quit hinging on the fact that this used to be a miserable franchise and start hinging on the fact that we need to win a championship, and do it soon. And we need more than simply a figurehead at head coach in order to do that.

I would GLADLY take back-to-back losing seasons if it meant a championship in the previous season.

That's exactly how I feel.

It seems like the majority of Hermy supporters are absolutley ecstatic that he took the Jets to the playoffs "3 out of 4 years".

Yea, and I know, you can't win the Super Bowl if you don't make the playoffs. But when you DO make the playoffs, you have to take advantage of the situation and win big games.

How come I never see any of the Hermy supporters gloating about his 2-3 playoff record? #-o

Warfish hits it on the head.

Where most teams face over a year of rebuilding Herm and Bradway were able to get them back to the playoffs in one year.

There are things about Herm that will you drive you mad. Clock management, going for the throat when you have a team down. There are also things about Herm that I love. I have yet to see an Edwards coached team lay down like a bunch of dogs like Walton's team did, like Coslet's team did, Like Carrol's team did. The Jets under Herm are consistently one of the least penalized teams in the league, they are now younger and faster on the D as well.

I don't know how some people can say that Herm gets a pass from alot of people. He is always being crucified for his clock management. (Rightfully so) for his training camps, etc,etc,etc

I do think that 2005 is a big year in the Edwards era. My expectations are high and I will be dissapointed if the Jets do not at least make the AFC Championship this year.

Herm has his D in place, He has an offensive coordinator that will "take more shots". For Herm there are no more excuses, No Teddy Cottrell or Paul Hacketts to throw under the bus.

I think Herm has done a good job but now the expectations are higher.

WOW! 3 out of 4 years in the playoffs! YES!

Weeb Ewbank won a Super Bowl. No other Jet coach has done that.

Most Jet coaches haven't even won a playoff game, and several have made it 1 time at the most. Do I want to win a Super Bowl? You're damn right I do. Getting to the playoffs is the only way to do that. Fact is, Pittsburgh was better than us last year, especially when they were at home and our QB was injured. Oakland was better than us 2 years before that. We just keep getting better and better every year. If Chad is 100% this year and we get Ty Law, this team has should certainly make the playoffs and has a chance to go very far.

Archived