1. 1. Pro Herm or Anti Herm?

• Pro Herm
    • Anti-Herm
    • vehemently and/or rabidly anti-Herm

• Replies 419
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That's exactly how I feel.

It seems like the majority of Hermy supporters are absolutley ecstatic that he took the Jets to the playoffs "3 out of 4 years".

Yea, and I know, you can't win the Super Bowl if you don't make the playoffs. But when you DO make the playoffs, you have to take advantage of the situation and win big games.

How come I never see any of the Hermy supporters gloating about his 2-3 playoff record? #-o

I am a herm supporter but I'm hardly gloating over our reg season or playoff record. I just don't see any prospects coming in as head coach to replace herm at the moment.

I liked the way we played tough physical football till the clock ran out against pitt. replacing ted with donnie proved to be a great move. replacing hackett with dinger looks to be a great move. why shouldn't I be excited about heading into this season with our present coaching staff? we have a good x & o guy on both sides of the ball & a head coach who I believe does a lot to get these jets to play hard as a team without many penalties, that goes unnoticed by we the fans

See: 12/26/04 vs. New England.

You're absolutely correct Troll, but you must agree those games are far and few between.

My thought process is this, now that Hackett and Cottrell are gone and we have some competent coordinators we should be better. I see this as a simple math equation; Competitive team that wants to play hard nearly every game (Due to Herm) + Competent play-calling (Hendu and Dinger) = Success.

Although I will say this on behalf of the "Herm throws under the bus" crowd. Herm does NOT get to fire either of these guys without getting canned himself. Dinger and Hendu are a function of Herm.

x= Dinger and Hendu

F(x)= Herm

F(x) should equal AFC Championship game at the least this year. GG check my math.

You're absolutely correct Troll, but you must agree those games are far and few between.

My thought process is this, now that Hackett and Cottrell are gone and we have some competent coordinators we should be better. I see this as a simple math equation; Competitive team that wants to play hard nearly every game (Due to Herm) + Competent play-calling (Hendu and Dinger) = Success.

Although I will say this on behalf of the "Herm throws under the bus" crowd. Herm does NOT get to fire either of these guys without getting canned himself. Dinger and Hendu are a function of Herm.

x= Dinger and Hendu

F(x)= Herm

F(x) should equal AFC Championship game at the least this year. GG check my math.

Math has never been one of my strong points but it looks good to me. I'll check it for you.

AFC Championship game divided by Henderson+Dinger times Edwards=f(x)

Something like that.

x= Dinger and Hendu

F(x)= Herm

I definitely agree with that. I've never been more comfortable with our coaching staff during the Edwards era than I am heading into this season. Herm has no say in the playcalling and his job is simply to motivate, which is the only strength he has. But, we'd better not lose a game this year because Herm was never taught how to tell time. The only responsibilities that Edwards has are to get the players ready to play, manage the clock, and to spew humorous rhetoric to the media. If he fails to do that this year, then he should be fired. Making it to the AFC championship game is not enough. This team needs to make it to the AFC championship game, and if not win, be extremely competitive and let the players decide the game. A 31-10 loss or a 27-24 over time loss because of Herm's poor clock management should result in a pink slip.

See: 12/26/04 vs. New England.

And they still came back made it to the second round of the playoffs.

Don't confuse bad games with quitting on your coach. Heck even Parcell's said that that 99 game against the Giants the team quit.

Most Jets teams after a whupping like they got against New England would have rolled over and died the rest of the year. They quit on Walton at least 3 times in his tenure. 83, 87, 89. Coslet in 93 after the Blanchard game in Buffalo and of course the spike game in 94.

You can even throw in Groh with his 2000 season with the loss at home against the Lions. Those teams never came back from those kind of losses. Herm's team did. They came back from horrific starts in 2001 and 2002 to make the playoffs.

Let me put it this way.

Everyone wants to have a Belicheck as their coach

Guess what ?

It isn't happening.

Belicheck is at one level as a coach.

Everyone else is a notch below that. Herm isn't Belicheck. No one is. Not Reid, Not Billick, Not Cowher, Fox,etc, etc

That is a fact of that people need to deal with.

This team needs to make it to the AFC championship game, and if not win, be extremely competitive and let the players decide the game. A 31-10 loss or a 27-24 over time loss because of Herm's poor clock management should result in a pink slip.

See while I understand what you're saying and use to believe that thought process as well I can't any longer. It doesn't really matter how we lose the game, I'm sure there would be a way to blame Herm/CS for the loss. So I think you have to make a clear cut decision one what you think they need to do as far as the Chamionship choosing between having to win it out right or just make it. Say they lose 24-14, you're saying that Anti-Herm people couldn't find a decision that Herm made incorrectly? There are ALWAYS incorrect decisions in a loss. Know what I'm saying?

See while I understand what you're saying and use to believe that thought process as well I can't any longer. It doesn't really matter how we lose the game, I'm sure there would be a way to blame Herm/CS for the loss. So I think you have to make a clear cut decision one what you think they need to do as far as the Chamionship choosing between having to win it out right or just make it. Say they lose 24-14, you're saying that Anti-Herm people couldn't find a decision that Herm made incorrectly? There are ALWAYS incorrect decisions in a loss. Know what I'm saying?

Of course there are incorrect decisions in all losses. Hell, there are incorrect decisions in all wins too. What I'm saying is that if this team shows that they have Super Bowl talent and they do not get there for whatever reason it may be, it needs to fall on the head coach. If Herm were to blow the AFC Championship game in the same manner that he blew last year's Ravens game, then it should be his last game as head coach. Likeways, if we were to make it to the conference final and then go out and pull some sh*t like we did against the Patriots last season, then it should be his last game as head coach. The middle ground would be the example you stated. Say they play hard and go lose to the better team 24-14. I wouldn't be screaming for Herm's head there because he neither cost the team the game, nor did he have the players unprepared to play. The litmus test on Herm will be how far we advance in this year's postseason. Anything less than an appearance in the AFC title game is unacceptable. And if we lose that AFC championship game, then Edwards' performance should still be closely evaluated.

And they still came back made it to the second round of the playoffs.

Really?

I thought after the NE game they went into St. Louis in a "must win" situation and the Jets top rated defense got shredded by Bulger for 450 yards and lost the game.

Then they backed into the playoffs when the Bills lost to the Steelers 2nd stringers.

Pro Herminator

Let me ask a question for the haters, what would he have to do this year to make you reconsider? It just seems to me if we win then it will be in spite of herm, it will be because of the coordinators, but if we lose it will be on Herm. Why is almost every every Jet fan a self-hating fan, it seems there has to be something to bitch about no matter what. I can remember the monday night clubbing we put on the phish last year and even when we were up big in the third and fourth quarter you could still here the j/o's in the crowd screaming up at Hackett in the box. No matter what it seems like jets fans have to have someone to obsess over. So how can Herm win? I make a prediction right now, if we win it all this year, a lot of the bashers will give it up to the coordinators or even bradway for christs sake, and the herm bashing will continue. I have an idea, lets start another poll, if we fire Herm after this year, who will jets fans hate next year? Here is another one, will people turn from positive to negative on Curtis as quickly as they went from negative to positive on Lamont last year? Guys, we have a great team, not a team with a single super star but a good solid group of team players who it seems are all on the bandwagon and fired up for this year. I feel pretty good, and i will be drinking the green kool-aid early this year people. As a matter of fact, I will be serving the the grrrrn kool-aid vodka juice starting at the first tailgate at the home opener, stop by and have some and get f@cked up!

To recap so far, the Pro-Herm guys think that winning a Super Bowl is due to having good luck and being smiled upon by our dear Lord Jesus, and has little to do with coaching. The Anti-Herm guys think that Herm cannot deliver the Super Bowl, thus, he is a worthless entity.

Carry on. And pray.

There are two choices. Getting to the playoffs and NOT getting to the playoffs. Quick, which do you choose?

I think Herm is right, there are two season, your goal is to win one season (regular) so you can get into the next season (playoffs) and win that one. He never said that he wanted to lose in the playoffs, but certainly last year, we were up against better teams. That is not a coaching thing, it is a talent thing. We came up against some of the best NFL teams in the playoffs and won a hard one on the road and almost won the second hard one on the road.

Yes, we all get it, the Super Bowl is what every fan wants, but you have to know that you can't win a Super Bowl if you can't get to and stay in, the playoffs.

BZ

I don't buy that. Not in the least. I stand by my Herm is Lloyd stance.

And, I didn't get into his questionable in game management. He gets this year. I'm not in favor of Herm though. I'm in favor of the Jets. That's what I want. The Jets to be here, come late January. I want them in Detroit. I don't care if it's three midgets standing on top of each other, wearing yellow and black... as long as this team gets to the Super Bowl. That's what it's all about. It's not about just making the playoffs, maybe winning a game! That's not a good attitude to have at all! It's about winning the Super Bowl.

Really?

I thought after the NE game they went into St. Louis in a "must win" situation and the Jets top rated defense got shredded by Bulger for 450 yards and lost the game.

Then they backed into the playoffs when the Bills lost to the Steelers 2nd stringers.

Then again we can talk about how the jets blew a game against the Bears and then walked into New England and took down the Super Bowl champs in the middle of their playoff drive. #-o

To recap so far, the Pro-Herm guys think that winning a Super Bowl is due to having good luck and being smiled upon by our dear Lord Jesus, and has little to do with coaching. The Anti-Herm guys think that Herm cannot deliver the Super Bowl, thus, he is a worthless entity.

Carry on. And pray.

I do think that for 31 of the 32 teams good luck, staying injury free and having the good lord smile on us is about right.

We all know this doesn't apply in New England since Belicheck walks on water.

Carry on. And pray.

I wouldn't say that's 100% correct. Herm needs a change in mind set. Making the playoffs isn't good enough. Not when your rivals in New England are winning Super bowl after Super Bowl. You've got to match what they're doing, or else you're going to be looked at as weak. Which Herm has.

I would GLADLY take back-to-back losing seasons if it meant a championship in the previous season. I want to see the Jets WIN a championship, not simply be competitve every year and have nothing to show for it.

If you can show me a potential coach who would be GUARANTEED to provide us with that RING followed by two losing seasons, perhaps then I'll listen.

But you can't, and that is the fallacy of your logic. You ASSUME we can find another coach, a better coach, who will take Herm's team to 12-4 and a RING. I cannot assume that, not given the history of the NY Jets. I think it is much more likely that we replace Herm, and the next coach fails horribly.

You really want to tempt fate like that?? You're like a poker player who goes all in an a pair of two's. I simply cannot gamble like that.

Carry on. And pray.

not that there is anything wrong with it AT ALL., but not all of us pray to Jesus.

On an unrelated sidenote I do pray for you. Often.

And it has nothing to do with football. It has a little to do with you being a soul less freak.

You are right about that max, god has no place for the fags in heaven, it looks like TS is screwed (in da butt!)

lol

That's exactly how I feel.

It seems like the majority of Hermy supporters are absolutley ecstatic that he took the Jets to the playoffs "3 out of 4 years".

Yea, and I know, you can't win the Super Bowl if you don't make the playoffs. But when you DO make the playoffs, you have to take advantage of the situation and win big games.

How come I never see any of the Hermy supporters gloating about his 2-3 playoff record? #-o

Complete rubbish.

This line of thinking is total B.S. and would never, ever be uttered while actually in the midst of those losing seasons other than as a excuse for having said losing season.

In Herms tenure only 2 other HC's have brought home a SB with one of them having ran out of town here instead of coaching us. We make it sound like Herm is the only coach on the block without a SB the last 4 years.

That being said, I support Herm but this season is it.

Teddy and his outdated defensive schemes are gone along with Hackett.

What Herm has accomplished with those two is to be applauded but if we see any reoccurence of the chaos against both Baltimore and Pittsburgh last season then it is time to change the HC.

It doesn't matter who is at fault, Quincy,Hackett,etc, the HC is ultimately accountable.

Technically, it'd be Super Bowl, skip one, Super Bowl, Super Bowl... so I had it right, brotha :wink:

And just to be fair, here is the Jets equivalent:

Super Bowl, skip one, skip one, skip one, skip one, skip one, skip one, skip one, skip one, skip one, skip one, skip one, skip one, skip one, skip one, skip one, skip one, skip one, skip one, skip one, skip one, skip one, skip one, skip one, skip one, skip one, skip one, skip one, skip one, skip one, skip one, skip one, skip one, skip one, skip one, skip one, skip one.

If you can show me a potential coach who would be GUARANTEED to provide us with that RING followed by two losing seasons, perhaps then I'll listen.

But you can't, and that is the fallacy of your logic. You ASSUME we can find another coach, a better coach, who will take Herm's team to 12-4 and a RING. I cannot assume that, not given the history of the NY Jets. I think it is much more likely that we replace Herm, and the next coach fails horribly.

You really want to tempt fate like that?? You're like a poker player who goes all in an a pair of two's. I simply cannot gamble like that.

Come on Anti-Herm crowd, I'm still waiting.....

Who is the mythical GUARANTEED Coach we can replace Herm with?? Who is this GUARANTEED stud-coach who ENSURES we win that ring we all want?? Who is this guy, and how can we hire him (I'd think such a stud would already be employed, eh?)

You all are basically saying "The PLayoffs are NOT enough, only a RING is enough". So who is your next coach, the RING-MAKER??

So far, all I've read in this thread is "Herm is Stupid", but I sure havn't read any good suggestions as to who will do a better job.

This is very simple..Who was the only OC in Jet

History that took us to 3 out of 4 playoffs??

That would be Paul Hackett!! But he sucked so

he got canned! Yet Hermie gets credit for being

the great HC who doesn't know or do Game plans!

Thinks by getting his chicken wings in a row is

the way to the Super Bowl!! For the exception of

TS,Jetmo and a few others are you in touch with

Logic and reality at all?? I guess then George

Seifert will make the HOF then!!In his 8 years

with the 49's he made the playoffs 7 times,won

a SB and never had a record worse then 10-6!!

Yet when he went to a Team that wasn't set up to

win he sucked Big time!! The one thing I will give

Hermie over Seifert is George can't cook to save

his Ass!!When it's BBQ time Hermie do shine!! :mrgreen:

you just described TOM SHANE to the T....

:lol:

Pro Herminator

Let me ask a question for the haters, what would he have to do this year to make you reconsider? It just seems to me if we win then it will be in spite of herm, it will be because of the coordinators, but if we lose it will be on Herm. Why is almost every every Jet fan a self-hating fan, it seems there has to be something to b!tch about no matter what. I can remember the monday night clubbing we put on the phish last year and even when we were up big in the third and fourth quarter you could still here the j/o's in the crowd screaming up at Hackett in the box. No matter what it seems like jets fans have to have someone to obsess over. So how can Herm win? I make a prediction right now, if we win it all this year, a lot of the bashers will give it up to the coordinators or even bradway for christs sake, and the herm bashing will continue. I have an idea, lets start another poll, if we fire Herm after this year, who will jets fans hate next year? Here is another one, will people turn from positive to negative on Curtis as quickly as they went from negative to positive on Lamont last year? Guys, we have a great team, not a team with a single super star but a good solid group of team players who it seems are all on the bandwagon and fired up for this year. I feel pretty good, and i will be drinking the green kool-aid early this year people. As a matter of fact, I will be serving the the grrrrn kool-aid vodka juice starting at the first tailgate at the home opener, stop by and have some and get f@cked up!

This is very simple..Who was the only OC in Jet

History that took us to 3 out of 4 playoffs??

That would be Paul Hackett!! But he sucked so

he got canned! Yet Hermie gets credit for being

the great HC who doesn't know or do Game plans!

Thinks by getting his chicken wings in a row is

the way to the Super Bowl!! For the exception of

TS,Jetmo and a few others are you in touch with

Logic and reality at all?? I guess then Geroge

Seifert will make the HOF then!!In his 8 years

with the 49's he made the playoffs 7 times,won

a SB and never had a record worse then 10-6!!

Yet when he went to a Team that wasn't set up to

win he sucked Big time!! The one thing I will give

Hermie over Seifert is George can't cook to save

his a$$!!When it's BBQ time Hermie do shine!! :mrgreen:

You want to give Hackett credit for our wins, you;re a Hackett supporter, eh? Think he's the MAN, eh? The reason for our success, eh?

I don't think too many folks will agree with you on that one....

But OK Sav, if you want to think Hackett can be a Super Bowl Head Coach, it's only your reputation that takes the hit, not mine. I'll debate you all day long on that one friend, and I'll crush you each and every time.

You want to give Hackett credit for our wins, you;re a Hackett supporter, eh? Think he's the MAN, eh? The reason for our success, eh?

I don't think too many folks will agree with you on that one....

But OK Sav, if you want to think Hackett can be a Super Bowl Head Coach, it's only your reputation that takes the hit, not mine. I'll debate you all day long on that one friend, and I'll crush you each and every time.

God Fish have you been eating the Bait again?? My

Point was if the Team could get to the Playoffs

with a OC that Sucked(And you know I hated Hackett)

and actually did Game plans..Ya think they could do

the same with a HC that BBQ's talks to the Press and

pats Fannies?? And the only way you could ever

crush me is if you sat on me when I wasn't looking!! :mrgreen:

God Fish have you been eating the Bait again?? My

Point was if the Team could get to the Playoffs

with a OC that Sucked(And you know I hated Hackett)

and actually did Game plans..Ya think they could do

the same with a HC that BBQ's talks to the Press and

pats Fannies?? And the only way you could ever

crush me is if you sat on me when I wasn't looking!! :mrgreen:

First off Sav, bait tastes GOOD, especially bloodworms. Don't ask. :shock:

Second, yes, my sitting upon you would be very painful, especially with your brittle old man bones! :P

And finally, I've yet to hear a single name of a magic coach GUARANTEED to win a Super Bowl. Until someone can tell me who that coach is, I refuse to join the "Playoffs are Not Enough" Kabal in demanding Herm's head on a plate.

Archived