Goodell: Preseason should be shorter

Personally, I like the 16 game set up and 4 Preseason Games. Gives the guys plenty of time to get into Football shape and game experience for the rookies and new players on the team are always a good things and are necessary. The first and fourth games are basically for reserves and guys looking to find a job somewhere, so maybe I could see the point in taking out those games, but I don't know, I love the current set up and think 18 games might be a little too much.

However, they can't do 17 and 3, that would just be dumb.

If it was switched to 17-3, you know that one game for each team would be played in either Mexico, Canada, France, Spain, Australlia, wherever and I don't approve of bringing the NFL overseas like that. If you're going to cut down the Preseason Games and up the Regular Season games it has to be 18-2.

I actually like everything Goodell just said. Season ticket holders get screwed by having to pay for pre-season games. 2 or 3 games are plenty of playing time to decide who is being kept. The slotted salaries works great in the nba. So far Goodell gets a B- in my book. He came out real strong against all the thugery, dropped the ball a bit on the Pats cheating scandal, shortened the time of the draft, and now if he passes this it would be good in my opinion.

I have been saying for years now they should allow some roster exemptions for the first 2 games and make it an 18 game season with only 2 PS games instead of 4

You're onto something.... I think to get the players' association to go for it, they'll have to compromise. Expand the rosters to 55, and for the 1st 4 games allow 48 active players instead of 45.

The players union will want pay raises across the board if they go to a 17 or 18 game regular season. As it is, the players get one paycheck per regular season game. They'll want another one or two at the same rate if they increase the season by a game or two.

But I agree. The last preseason game is a complete waste. Many teams don't play a single starter in that one. For the fans to have to pay for that, well, it sucks. Two might just be the right number. That would force teams to play players they intend to actually play, or that they're serious about evaluating. The result should be a better product on the field for the fans who were forced to buy tix to be there.

And yeah, I'd like to see a rookie cap along with a slotted system. Maybe make all rookie deals three or four years in return, so that in exchange for lower rookie pay they have a shot at big free agent money sooner (when they'd presumably deserve it more).

i really can't stand all of the crying, "wahh i could get injured in the preseason."

there is no difference as to being injured in the preseason as to the regular season. either time you can't play

I'm thinking it's good for the season ticket holders. Why pay for meaningless games.

If it was switched to 17-3, you know that one game for each team would be played in either Mexico, Canada, France, Spain, Australlia, wherever and I don't approve of bringing the NFL overseas like that.

That's what worries me, but if they do that they will have to find 16 international venues a year. That would be tough.

That's what worries me, but if they do that they will have to find 16 international venues a year. That would be tough.

Doesn't always need to be international. They can play in LA and other cities within the US if they wish....

Still a dumb idea though I agree.

Doesn't always need to be international. They can play in LA and other cities within the US if they wish....

Still a dumb idea though I agree.

Huh, never thought about them playing in non-NFL cities...very interesting...a way to get some games into LA without actually moving a team there. I could probably get behind the concept of every team playing a neutral-site game if they could at least keep them all in North America. I just don't like the overseas games.

Huh, never thought about them playing in non-NFL cities...very interesting...a way to get some games into LA without actually moving a team there. I could probably get behind the concept of every team playing a neutral-site game if they could at least keep them all in North America. I just don't like the overseas games.

I bet in the 1st yr of this 8 games would be played in LA or the LA Area, basically giving them a full season. You'd see some in Canada, and maybe Mexico. Unfortunately, you'd probably see a couple in Europe.

Archived