Surprise (Most Improved) Player of the year?

gangreenman

Which player will be the biggest surprise?  

1 member has voted

1. 1. Which player will be the biggest surprise?

• LB David Bowens
    • WR Brad Smith
    • WR Chansi Stuckey
    • DL C.J. Mosley
    • WR David Clowney

Who, of the folliowing people, do you guys think will be the biggest surprise (Most improved) for the Jets this season and emerge as a potential starter at some point?

LB David Bowens

WR Brad Smith

WR Chansi Stuckey

DL CJ Mosley

WR David Clowney

My opinion: Chansi Stuckey. So far he has had a great camp from what I've heard/read, and plays WR, which is a position that lacks a lot of depth. David Bowens is also having a great camp I hear, but given how loaded we are at LB, I say Stuckey will get more opportunities to show himself than Bowens will.

Thoughts?

I voted for Clowney.

Stuckey's success would not "surprise" me, as he was getting incredible reviews this time last year. Bowens was my second choice. I think his affect on the defense in the ILB role might surprise a few folks... but not me. I thought he started coming-on late in the season last year, and his move to the inside would better fit his size and ability. A run-stopping pass-rusher coming from the middle next to Harris would be scary. Him having success wouldn't be earth-shattering news to me.

Clowney, however.

Where the hell did this kid come from? Whenever a pan-handling UDFA is picked up from a street corner and has a legitimate shot at making the team... is good enough to earn my vote. He, and Drew Coleman are reportedly the fastest players on the team... that surprises me. If he makes the team, and God-forbid becomes the 4th WR due to a Coles' injury, I think he could sneak his name into the lime-light with his hands, foot-speed, and Mangini-endorsed study habits. EM said his success is in large part due to his digestion of the playbook and relentless studying.

DC, baby. Surprise!

I voted for Clowney.

Stuckey's success would not "surprise" me, as he was getting incredible reviews this time last year. Bowens was my second choice. I think his affect on the defense in the ILB role might surprise a few folks... but not me. I thought he started coming-on late in the season last year, and his move to the inside would better fit his size and ability. A run-stopping pass-rusher coming from the middle next to Harris would be scary. Him having success wouldn't be earth-shattering news to me.

Clowney, however.

Where the hell did this kid come from? Whenever a pan-handling UDFA is picked up from a street corner and has a legitimate shot at making the team... is good enough to earn my vote. He, and Drew Coleman are reportedly the fastest players on the team... that surprises me. If he makes the team, and God-forbid becomes the 4th WR due to a Coles' injury, I think he could sneak his name into the lime-light with his hands, foot-speed, and Mangini-endorsed study habits. EM said his success is in large part due to his digestion of the playbook and relentless studying.

DC, baby. Surprise!

excellent breakdown. you've successfully lobbied for my vote.

I voted for Clowney.

Clowney, however.

DC, baby. Surprise!

Don't believe the hype. If Stuckey's succes wouldn't surprise you, then you shouldn't call Clowney a "panhandling UDFA". He wasn't an UDFA. Clowney went a full two rounds before Stuckey. He was drafted in the 5th by the Packers who have a lot of good WRs and like Ruvell Martin. They kept him on their practice squad and the Jets signed him from there. Mangini brings up his studying because study and effort are the bull**** coaches like, but his speed is what makes him. Good kick returner out of VaTech. Despite the press, higher rated than Stuckey and Ball.

Don't believe the hype. If Stuckey's succes wouldn't surprise you, then you shouldn't call Clowney a "panhandling UDFA". He wasn't an UDFA. Clowney went a full two rounds before Stuckey. He was drafted in the 5th by the Packers who have a lot of good WRs and like Ruvell Martin. They kept him on their practice squad and the Jets signed him from there. Mangini brings up his studying because study and effort are the bull**** coaches like, but his speed is what makes him. Good kick returner out of VaTech.

Thanks Dom, I really didn't know where the kid came from... I'll retract the UDFA comment... seemed to me like he was a hitchhiker looking for a squad. Aside from Driver, Jennings, Jones and Nelson, their WR corp looks pretty foreign to me.

13 Jake Allen

80 Donald Driver

83 Chris Francies

85 Greg Jennings

89 James Jones

82 Ruvell Martin

87 Jordy Nelson

17 Johnny Quinn

6 Taj Smith

16 Brett Swain

I still think the casual fan will be more surprised if Clowney makes the roster than if Stuckey does (who is apparently vying for the WR3 spot vs. Clowney who is fighting for WR5)... my vote stands.

Thanks for the kind words Scionce.

Thanks Dom, I really didn't know where the kid came from... I'll retract the UDFA comment... seemed to me like he was a hitchhiker looking for a squad. Aside from Driver, Jennings, Jones and Nelson, their WR corp looks pretty foreign to me.

13 Jake Allen

80 Donald Driver

83 Chris Francies

85 Greg Jennings

89 James Jones

82 Ruvell Martin

87 Jordy Nelson

17 Johnny Quinn

6 Taj Smith

16 Brett Swain

I still think the casual fan will be more surprised if Clowney makes the roster than if Stuckey does (who is apparently vying for the WR3 spot vs. Clowney who is fighting for WR5)... my vote stands.

Thanks for the kind words Scionce.

I wasn't trying to be a dick. Just telling you to read more of 128's posts. ;)

I haven't seen much of Clowney, but he sounds like Jonathan Martin. Stuckey may be better suited to the slot. Clowney was a higher rated prospect than Stuckey and Ball, but he didn't get near the amount of press here. I agree with you completely, but we aren't casual fans. We're freaks.

It's funny -given the Jets' QB situation- that three of the five candidates here are WR's. I think the Jets are going to be running the ball a lot more, and throwing to the TE's a lot more this year.

That said, Stuckey has the best chance to make an impact from "out of nowhere." But he needs to stay healthy. I'd love to see Smith break thru, and still think he can. Clowney's looking like a guy who's going to make the team. Maybe he can make an impact as a return man, especially if Washington and Miller are to have larger roles on offense and defense, respectively.

Bowens should rack up a few sacks as a situational pass rusher. I just hope Mosely doesn't make an obvious impression because of the lack of Kris Jenkins on the field when he's out there.

I just hope Mosely doesn't make an obvious impression because of the lack of Kris Jenkins on the field when he's out there.

I think Mosley is going to play mostly at DE. Either that or DT when they go 4-3. I don't think he saw much time at the nose and I don't think he will, so he may well be out there with Jenkins. Can anybody that's been going to camp confirm how Mosley is being used?

the problem i see with stuckey is that Keller will be stealing what limited receptions he may have gotten. I think Stuckey has some staying power, minus injuries, and could potentially be a very nice slot receiver for us but it might not be this year.

I think Mosley is going to play mostly at DE. Either that or DT when they go 4-3. I don't think he saw much time at the nose and I don't think he will, so he may well be out there with Jenkins. Can anybody that's been going to camp confirm how Mosley is being used?

If he does see the nose position it will be in 3rd and long situations. I have a feeling Jenkins will be used sparingly on pass rushing downs. Maybe not though, those big guys want a shot at getting on ths score sheet as well.

i just picture our downlinemen being, mosley, pouha, ellis on 3rd and longs...maybe sub mosley and/or ellis for Thomas and/or Gholston.

mangini can throw a lot of interesting defenses out there if we don't allow the other team to knock off 5 yards on first down every time.

Archived