Jets | Front-runner for Law

Smizzy

Jets | Front-runner for Law

Tue, 2 Aug 2005 17:02:10 -0700

Adam Schefter, of the NFL Network, reports free agent CB Ty Law (Patriots) is set to meet with New York Jets officials to see if they can work out a deal. The Jets appear to be the front-runner for his services during the upcoming season.

Jets might have the Law on their side

By Adam Schefter

Special to NFL.com

Adam Schefter's "Around the League" reports and commentaries can be seen regularly on NFL Total Access.

See Schefter's camp schedule on our training camp index

Aug. 2, 2005) -- Jets running back Curtis Martin has been recruiting free-agent cornerback Ty Law to come to New York. Instead, for now, Law's agent, Carl Poston, is now coming.

NFL Network

NFL Network

Analysis, opinions, features and more!

Download Super Bowl XXXIX radio broadcasts and highlights to your MP3 player!

Field Pass

Listen LIVE to NFL games, plus watch video news and features of your favorite team.

Poston is scheduled to arrive in New York on Aug. 3, for a meeting with Jets officials to see if they can work out a deal for Law. The Jets are considered the favorite to land Law's services, and the Jets and Poston plan to break bread to see if they can agree. If they can, Law will play for the Patriots' biggest rival, the Jets.

Also on the Law front, there is a late entry into inquiring about his services. The St. Louis Rams have called this week to express what it would take to sign Law, but they are not as serious as some of the other teams that have been speaking with Law and his representatives throughout this offseason. They would seem to be fishing at this point -- but the Jets aren't.

The Jets will only be taking Poston to dinner. Law is not scheduled to make the trip to New York, not at this time. Maybe the money the Jets save on Law's dinner could be applied to his signing bonus

Law instantly makes our D-Backfield much more respectable. A combo of Law/Barrett with Miller or Strait as the #3 and Hunter in deep reserve is a pretty good unit (potentially).

All we can do is hope the price we pay for Law is reasnable, and doesn't hamstring up Cap-Wise down the road. While I think Law is indeed a quality player, I do not believe he is the make-or-break player for a 2005 Jets Super Bowl run. So he better be afordable.

Law = Super Bowl 40 Champions

No Law = AFC Divisional / AFC Championship Loss

AMAZING SIG =D>=D>=D>

P.S. I am coming to terms with maybe having Miller or Strait start for us this year. I was at camp today and Miller looks like hes got a real bright future with the Jets... You gotta let the rookies play eventually look how Eric COleman did last year.

AMAZING SIG =D>=D>=D>

P.S. I am coming to terms with maybe having Miller or Strait start for us this year. I was at camp today and Miller looks like hes got a real bright future with the Jets... You gotta let the rookies play eventually look how Eric COleman did last year.

Eric Coleman was in a much different situation than Miller is right now. Coleman was surrounded by a great veteran presence on and off the field, with Abraham, Tongue, Barrett, (and even Mickens) which helped speed his growth. Granted he's a naturally talented kid and came along faster than most guys, but Miller comes in on the heels of D-Abe's departure. Miller, if he were to somehow start, would be one of perhaps 3 (if Rhodes jumps McGraw like I think he will) extremely young players in the Jets secondary--

That being said, I think when the season starts our secondary will look like this

CB

1. Ty Law

2. David Barrett

3. Derrick Strait

4. Ray Mickens (Nickel)

5. Justin Miller (KR)

6. Pete Hunter (if we keep him)

S

FS- Eric Coleman

SS- Kerry Rhodes

Andre Maddox

Jon McGraw

You think Donnie Abrahams presence meant that much to Coleman? I'm sorry but I do not agree. Donnie and Tongue were the two weakest links in our chain last year.

I understand it's important to have veterans in certain aspect like mentoring a young QB but I disagree with you on the CB position. The rules changed and that change pretty much made the veterans rookies again. I'm not saying it didn't help him but I don't think it would have made a big difference. Barret has been in the league long enough and has played against the best. Besides that thats why you have a d-backs coach.

Miller is a play maker bottom line. Don't really think Strait has the same upside because he doesnt have the speed to play the agressive man-man defense D.H. likes to run. Mickens is done. Law is a good option if we don't have to compromise the salary cap for the next 3 years, but if we can't get him I think Miller will eventually win the starting job and by the end of the season be playing at a fairly high level.

Law = Super Bowl 40 Champions

No Law = AFC Divisional / AFC Championship Loss

This is the JETS. This team could potentially sign Jesus Christ to be the starting quarterback and still find a way to lose in the playoffs. Signing Ty Law increases our hopes, but it does not mean this team can be penciled in for Detroit.

This is the JETS. This team could potentially sign Jesus Christ to be the starting quarterback and still find a way to lose in the playoffs. Signing Ty Law increases our hopes, but it does not mean this team can be penciled in for Detroit.

Ahh, but to the blind homer, this team has already been slated in stone and written in permanant marker to reach the Super Bowl. Duh.

I do like our playoff chances though, with or without Law.

Archived