What Instruments Do You Guys Play?

war ensemble

I know we have quite a few musicians around here, whether professional, fooling around, or whatever, so I thought I might as well start this thread.

What instruments do you own and/or play? If possible, put whatever type or brand of instrument you play (ie. Fender, stuff like that). Throw up some links or youtubes if you got 'em. I know SFJ can give the link to his website for all his songs (I remember listening to that UFO song off that), and Boozer's got some youtube's.

I play the pipes (bagpipes if you live under a rock), but am not currently in a band or doing funerals or anything like that. Hopefully when I get more free time I can. I used to play the piano and I guess I'm still serviceable at that. In third grade I played the recorder and got a bunch of colorful strings, lol. So I think that's everything I've played.

I heard Thor plays a crazy skin flute, but I'll save that story for another night.

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I know we have quite a few musicians around here, whether professional, fooling around, or whatever, so I thought I might as well start this thread.

What instruments do you own and/or play? If possible, put whatever type or brand of instrument you play (ie. Fender, stuff like that). Throw up some links or youtubes if you got 'em. I know SFJ can give the link to his website for all his songs (I remember listening to that UFO song off that), and Boozer's got some youtube's.

I play the pipes (bagpipes if you live under a rock), but am not currently in a band or doing funerals or anything like that. Hopefully when I get more free time I can. I used to play the piano and I guess I'm still serviceable at that. In third grade I played the recorder and got a bunch of colorful strings, lol. So I think that's everything I've played.

I heard Thor plays a crazy skin flute, but I'll save that story for another night.

I took pipe lessons for a while. Still have my practice chanter, but found I lack the talent.

I took pipe lessons for a while. Still have my practice chanter, but found I lack the talent.

To be honest, I don't think talent is really all that necessary. Talent makes things much easier, but with enough hard work someone can get really far any musical instrument. With music, I find talent makes things easier at first, and it's a much smoother ride, but without talent if you can get past that first hump everything becomes a whole lot easier. But maybe that's just me. I don't know.

To be honest, I don't think talent is really all that necessary. Talent makes things much easier, but with enough hard work someone can get really far any musical instrument. With music, I find talent makes things easier at first, and it's a much smoother ride, but without talent if you can get past that first hump everything becomes a whole lot easier. But maybe that's just me. I don't know.

Agreed, get over that first hump and it gets a little easier until you get to that next hump. Just have to keep pushing yourself. Anyone can learn an instrument at anytime in their life. Just takes time. I play drums and attempt to play guitar and harmonica. I would like to be able to pick up any instrument and play it. That is my goal.

I would like to be able to pick up any instrument and play it. That is my goal.

Now that's an ambitious goal, I hope you can stick to that. It would feel very rewarding, to say the least. I don't have time for that right now, but I'll write that down on my to-do list.

Billy, I'll watch your video tomorrow, I don't want to wake anyone up with music now. :)

I'm a guitar hacker for many years, and played bass guitar in high school and college. My bass in those days was a Fender Precision with a maple neck. I now play mostly acoustic guitar on an old Canadian Norman, and electric on my sunburst Michael Kelly Patriot Custom, through a 30 watt Line 6 Spider III.

http://www.michaelkellyguitars.com/patriot_custom.html

http://line6.com/spideriii30/

there is this school, Monmouth College (illinois) in my school's conference that gives it's students free tuition if you play bag pipes. Their nickname is Fighting Scots, so they have the pipes played before every athletic event.

I'm not sure if they give the scholarship out to multiple students are just the one that does the majority of the gigs. Anyway, it was a pretty sweet deal, IMO.

I play some guitar, not too good at it. Good enough to play almost all of the beatles songs but that's all i ever really tried to learn. :)

Agreed, get over that first hump and it gets a little easier until you get to that next hump. Just have to keep pushing yourself. Anyone can learn an instrument at anytime in their life. Just takes time. I play drums and attempt to play guitar and harmonica. I would like to be able to pick up any instrument and play it. That is my goal.

I was at a friends for the weekend and he is balls deep in the game Rock Band. I never would have thought this in a million years...the kid actually looks like he a real drummer.

Anyone else think someone could make the transition from the video game drums to the real thing?

I make 7 bucks an hour. If I could do it as a full time job, I would.

You could, if you pulled your dentures out everytime :D

I actually played the violin from 3rd grade all the way til I graduated from Bayside HS. I had a chance to perform at Lincoln center when I was 15. I was first violin concert master. I haven't touched one in years.

It's not so bad. I was watching Ringo on the Anthology and I was just thought to myself "oh so thats how you do it" and i sat down on my friends drum set and took it from there

I have always truly believed that drummers are born and not made...guys who can play the drums could ALWAYS play the drums while guitarists are mostly made...you NEVER hear of a guy who picked one up and could play it right off

Thank you!

I do gigs quite often. Does this involve going to Florida?

a couple of years ago I was considering doing a Sinatra tribute kind of lounge act deal...complete with the Tux and hairpiece-my boss said "do whatever you want"...it was a passing phase.

I love the piano and acoustic guitar format...doing Elton, Joel, Jackson Browne, Zevon, Tom Waits and Springsteen stuff-I wish I didn't suck at the piano

Another hack guitarist here. I've owned a guitar for ages, but I hardly ever play. I have a nice American Standard Tele at home, but I didn't want to ship it here. I bought one of these dirt cheap Squier Bullets. Figured that since they usually stomp on the mail here I wouldn't be so heart broken to get the cheap thing busted up. It's actually fairly nice.

0310001532_md.jpg

I played rythem guitar (had an ovation) for a soppy little country band in utah. I was the king of 3 cord progressions :rl:

seriously we sucked but I had fun gettin into the guitar. can't play at all anymore

you know what Hank Williams said jw-"if you're playing more than 3 chords you're showing off"

you know what Hank Williams said jw-"if you're playing more than 3 chords you're showing off"

Good line by Hank, Sr. If you can play open E, A & D chords, and learn a little shuffle beat, you can play about 80% of all rock and blues songs ever written.

Archived