Patriots sign John Lynch

BroadwayJ667

According to a league source, free agent safety John Lynch has agreed to join the Patriots.

The source did not have terms of the deal, but said Lynch had decided to sign with the Patriots. The NFL.com reported the deal was for one-year and $1.5 million.

The Patriots brought the nine-time Pro Bowler, who asked to be released by the Denver Broncos after the team slotted him into a reduced role, in for a visit yesterday.

Patriots coach Bill Belichick said this morning that Lynch had met with him and taken a physical, which is often a precursor to a deal.

Lynch, who will turn 37 on Sept. 25, figures to replace Tank Williams, who was placed on injured reserve by the Patriots last Sunday after suffering a knee injury in the pre-season opener against the Baltimore Ravens last Thursday.

The Patriots were using Williams as a hybrid safety/linebacker in a pass defense package, a role that seems well suited to the 6-foot, 2-inch, 220-pound Lynch.

Lynch is actually coming off a Pro Bowl season. He was named to the team as an injury replacement last year, after starting 12 of 13 games and finishing with 59 tackles, a sack and three passes defended.

The source said the New York Jets also expressed interested in Lynch, but that the 15-year veteran chose to play for the Patriots, who tried to sign him as a free agent in 2004, when he decided to go from the Tampa Bay Buccaneers to the Denver Broncos.

" ... and that connection between Favre and Cotchery pulls the Jets to within six scores of the Patriots with two minutes left to play."

Hey Ray - why don't you and your posse go stab another person to death and leave us alone?

Lynch is actually coming off a Pro Bowl season. He was named to the team as an injury replacement last year, after starting 12 of 13 games and finishing with 59 tackles, a sack and three passes defended.

Pro Bowl qualifications just aren't what they used to be... :confused:

I am actually waiting to see how you Patsie trolls spin this one. Me personally, I'd go with the older QB way more than the older safety.

I wouldnt go with an old used QB.

For one, hes too expensive and if you dont get it done this year, the Jets are stuck in limbo with no QB for the future. Just an old Slingblade looking Goober who may change his mind about retiring 10 times before next season is begins.

The Jets are screwed.

Spin? Lynch wont be an every down player, unlike Lord Favre.

I was actually in Denver when the Broncos demoted him. They told him he'd barely get any playing time. He's been in A TON of hits. His tanks (and legs) are just about shot.

" ... and that connection between Favre and Cotchery pulls the Jets to within six scores of the Patriots with two minutes left to play."

'

Your User Title/Quote under your screen name is grammatically incorrect. Atleast try to have a grasp on the proper way to use the English language before you attempt to belittle JETS fans.

I wouldnt go with an old used QB.

For one, hes too expensive and if you dont get it done this year, the Jets are stuck in limbo with no QB for the future. Just an old Slingblade looking Goober who may change his mind about retiring 10 times before next season is begins.

The Jets are screwed.

Hey AWipe , this thread's NOT about Favre. Stay on subject.

'

Your User Title/Quote under your screen name is grammatically incorrect. Atleast try to have a grasp on the proper way to use the English language before you attempt to belittle JETS fans.

Give up. We remember this mOron from last year. Total loser.

I am actually waiting to see how you Patsie trolls spin this one. Me personally, I'd go with the older QB way more than the older safety.

I like the big hits. With Harrison and Lynch in the Patriots backfield many WR's will be left wondering how their head is still attached to their body's.

Archived