Jets-Redskins Game Notes

gangreenman

Hey, its halftime of the Jets-Redskins preseason game, and I thought I'd give everyone here a brief update as to what has happened so far...

-Brett Favre started the game at QB, and completed 2 drives (14 plays), the latter ending in the games only T.D. so far to rookie TE Dustin Keller...

-The 1st team defense looked good on the 1st drive, not quite so good on the 2nd.... Our 2nd possesion corners (Barrett, Lowery) did not impress too much. We also got burned a couple times on draw/delay runs by Ladell Betts... Thanks to some nice plays Barton and Pace, only a FG was allowed.

- Also on defense, Vernon Gholston had a very solid 1st half, at least compared to last weeks game...He's made some nice plays against the run, and hasn't been picked on in coverage either...

- Kellen Clemens took over QB on the teams 3rd drive with the 1st team, and finished the half with the 2nd/3rd team. His stats look ugly (3-10), but you do have to factor in 4 drops by receivers (Clowney, Chatman, Franks, Smith), all of which should have been easy catches...

- WR David Clowney continues to impress, although he has 1 blemish drop, he also has 3 catches, and one that went for a big gain after Clemens did a nice job of avoiding the pressure, and threw a long beauty over the middle... Clowney continued the play with about 20 YAC.

--WR Laverneus Coles is out again, as is DE Shaun Ellis, they were replaced by WR Brad Smith and DE Mike DeVito...

Thats all for now, be back after the game with more detailed 1st half notes and some thoughts and notes from the 2nd half of play.

Thanks for reading!

Nice first half summary! :)

I'm digging "the other Brett".

Mangini played the end smart. It was a great lesson for Nuge. He has to make those kicks in the pressure of a real game. It also saved Ratliff from the pressure, although I think he would have punched it in. (Darn that Randolph) ;)

Okay, now that the game is over...I am going to go into some detail about what I wrote earlier 1st, then I'll recap the 2nd half as well.

So, here it is...My post game recap.

Before the game, CBS showed the PA announcer call Brett Favre's name as he came out of the tunnel, much to the delight of the home crowd, which numbered probably somewhere around 44-50,000 people for tonight's preseason game. Immediately afterwards, Mangini said in an interview that he "expects some bumps in the road" from Favre, but has been impressed not only with his throwing ability, but also with "his ability to soak up new material , and develop a chemistry with his line and receivers."

The next shot we see is of Favre talking to Kellen Clemens, Erik Ainge, and Brian Dabool (QB's coach) on the sidelines.

Okay, on to the game...

The Jets won the coin toss, and sent Leon Washington and Justin Miller back to receive the kick, which soared into the endzone for a touchback. Immediately afterwards, by the roar of the crowd, you may have thought the Jets were in the midst of a playoff game...Nope, its Brett Favre running into the huddle for his 1st start as a New York Jet.

Here is the team that Favre lined up with:

QB: Brett Favre

RB: Thomas Jones

FB: Tony Richardson

TE: Chris Baker

WR1: Jerricho Cotchery

WR2: Brad Smith

LT: D'Brickeshaw Ferguson

LG: Alan Faneca

C: Nick Mangold

RG: Brandon Moore

RT: Damien Woody

----------------------------------

Drive 1:

Favre started off with a bang, rifling an 11 yarder toward the sideline to Jerricho Cotchery. After a 5 yard loss on a pitch to Leon Washington, Favre checks down to TE Chris Baker over the middle for a 9 yard gain. Then, another checkdown to Washington for 4 yards, bringing up 4th and inches. Favre hands to Jones, who follows FB Richardson for a 2 yard gain and a NYJ 1st down. Things are looking good, until, on a 2nd and 6, a six man rush by the Redskins takes down Favre for a 10 yard loss, bringing up a 3rd and 15, which the Jets fail to convert.

-- The CS mixed around with some formations ( we saw a lot of shotguns ), and even a few trick plays this half. Although Jones got the start at RB, Washington also had his fair share of touches.

--No Dustin Keller on the 1st drive...Although Chris Baker had a nice reception.

--Favre seemed out of sync with Jerricho Cotchery on the 4th and short play, he called for Cotch to go in motion but to no avail, which eventually forced Favre to gesture over to Cotch to move.

--Once again, Coles was not in uniform, and was replaced by Brad Smith in the starting lineup.

Now, the defense:

LE: Mike DeVito

NT: Kris Jenkins

RE: Kenyon Coleman

OLB: Bryan Thomas

ILB: David Harris

ILB: Eric Barton

OLB: Calvin Pace

CB1: Darelle Revis

CB2: Justin Miller

S: Kerry Rhodes

S: Eric Smith

---------------------------------

Drive 1:

The defense started off looking much better this week, especially against the run, as Lamar Betts of Washington was driven down almost immediately after touching the ball by a combination of Harris and Jenkins, a combo that will hopefully be deadly this coming season. On 2nd and long, Campbell threw too high for his TE Chris Cooley, who deflected the ball, which was almost intercepted by Kerry Rhodes after the deflection. So, on 3rd down, the Jets CS mixes up their defensive package, and sends in Gholston and Mosley on the DL. A move that turned out to be wise as Gholston and Pace got to Campbell as the ball was released, thus forcing an incompletion and an impressive 3 and out.

-- Harris was back in the lineup today, after sitting out last weeks game vs. the Browns. S. Ellis however, was not back, and he, once again, was replaced by LE Mike DeVito.

-- Gholston made his appearence known for the 1st time, as he got in the face of Campbell, which forced an incomplete pass on 3rd and long.

==

Offense: Drive 2 (Highlights)

1st and 10 (WASH 46) -- 6 yard run up the middle with T. Richardson leading the way for Leon.

3rd and 3 -- 4WR set, TJones the loneback. Favre Play Actions, good protection (nice recovery block by T.Jones to prevent a sack), and Favre airs out a 20 yard beauty with the perfect amount of touch to Jerricho Cotchery, who falls at about the 21 yard line.

1st and 10 (WASH 21) -- Reverse statue of liberty play to Brad Smith, who takes it through a big hole on the left side for a pickup of 11 and give the Jets a 1st and goal.

1st and goal - Leon Washington starts right, and makes a nice cutback to the left and picks up 5 yards on the play.

2nd and goal - Favre takes a three step drop, and fires one to TE Dustin Keller on the left side in the endzone for the first TD of the game, and Favre' s first career TD as a Jet.

JETS: 7 'SKINS: 0

-- Keller, after not appearing on the 1st drive, made his presence known with the games first TD on the 2nd drive.

--Brett Favre, who came out after the 2nd drive, was very effective in his first 14 plays in a Jet uniform, completing 5 of 6 for 48 yards and a TD.

--TJones and Leon continue to share time at RB.

------------------

Defense: Drive 2

This, the same defense, but the CS decided to bring in their backup CB's, Lowery and Barrett, to play along with the 1st teamers this drive.

Basically, Barrett looked awful out there, getting burned a couple times, getting flagged once for Pass Interference, and allowing some easy passes in the 5-7 yard range. As for the run defense, well, they averted pretty much back to last week's form, as they were torched on a couple of draws and delays by Ladell Betts. The Redskins moved the ball well against us here, and ate up a lot of time doing so. Fortunately (thanks to a great play on a screen by Eric Barton), the Redskins ended up settling for a F.G.

JETS: 7 'SKINS: 3

-- Pace and Jenkins both made some nice plays in the red zone defense, as did Eric Barton, which was good to see after a long drive like that.

-- For some reason, we look real vulnerable against the delay/draw plays. Hopefully this is something they can correct by the time week 1 rolls around.

===

Well, thats pretty much all for the starters...I'll come back probably tomorrow with some more notes and thoughts about the rest of the game.

Stay tuned, and thanks for reading!

Good job GGM. Nice recap.

I hope Clowney is okay (shoulder). Gholston had very nice back to back plays. The second one was pushing the receiver out of bounds short of the first down marker. A much better game for Vernon.

The red zone defense played well. The team gave up some long runs though but most of that didn't involved the starters so it makes you feel better.

Favre looked good. Cotchery is going to be his guy. :-P

http://www.jetnation.com/?p=1464

Its not going to be Bubba Franks.

Unless he is dropping those on purpose. :D

I think Chris Baker has an incentive plan going with Franks. For every drop Baker pays him $1,000. Chris figures he can make it up when the gets cave in and give him a new contract.

Okay, now that the game is over...I am going to go into some detail about what I wrote earlier 1st, then I'll recap the 2nd half as well.

So, here it is...My post game recap.

Before the game, CBS showed the PA announcer call Brett Favre's name as he came out of the tunnel, much to the delight of the home crowd, which numbered probably somewhere around 44-50,000 people for tonight's preseason game. Immediately afterwards, Mangini said in an interview that he "expects some bumps in the road" from Favre, but has been impressed not only with his throwing ability, but also with "his ability to soak up new material , and develop a chemistry with his line and receivers."

The next shot we see is of Favre talking to Kellen Clemens, Erik Ainge, and Brian Dabool (QB's coach) on the sidelines.

Okay, on to the game...

The Jets won the coin toss, and sent Leon Washington and Justin Miller back to receive the kick, which soared into the endzone for a touchback. Immediately afterwards, by the roar of the crowd, you may have thought the Jets were in the midst of a playoff game...Nope, its Brett Favre running into the huddle for his 1st start as a New York Jet.

Here is the team that Favre lined up with:

QB: Brett Favre

RB: Thomas Jones

FB: Tony Richardson

TE: Chris Baker

WR1: Jerricho Cotchery

WR2: Brad Smith

LT: D'Brickeshaw Ferguson

LG: Alan Faneca

C: Nick Mangold

RG: Brandon Moore

RT: Damien Woody

----------------------------------

Drive 1:

Favre started off with a bang, rifling an 11 yarder toward the sideline to Jerricho Cotchery. After a 5 yard loss on a pitch to Leon Washington, Favre checks down to TE Chris Baker over the middle for a 9 yard gain. Then, another checkdown to Washington for 4 yards, bringing up 4th and inches. Favre hands to Jones, who follows FB Richardson for a 2 yard gain and a NYJ 1st down. Things are looking good, until, on a 2nd and 6, a six man rush by the Redskins takes down Favre for a 10 yard loss, bringing up a 3rd and 15, which the Jets fail to convert.

-- The CS mixed around with some formations ( we saw a lot of shotguns ), and even a few trick plays this half. Although Jones got the start at RB, Washington also had his fair share of touches.

--No Dustin Keller on the 1st drive...Although Chris Baker had a nice reception.

--Favre seemed out of sync with Jerricho Cotchery on the 4th and short play, he called for Cotch to go in motion but to no avail, which eventually forced Favre to gesture over to Cotch to move.

--Once again, Coles was not in uniform, and was replaced by Brad Smith in the starting lineup.

Now, the defense:

LE: Mike DeVito

NT: Kris Jenkins

RE: Kenyon Coleman

OLB: Bryan Thomas

ILB: David Harris

ILB: Eric Barton

OLB: Calvin Pace

CB1: Darelle Revis

CB2: Justin Miller

S: Kerry Rhodes

S: Eric Smith

---------------------------------

Drive 1:

The defense started off looking much better this week, especially against the run, as Lamar Betts of Washington was driven down almost immediately after touching the ball by a combination of Harris and Jenkins, a combo that will hopefully be deadly this coming season. On 2nd and long, Campbell threw too high for his TE Chris Cooley, who deflected the ball, which was almost intercepted by Kerry Rhodes after the deflection. So, on 3rd down, the Jets CS mixes up their defensive package, and sends in Gholston and Mosley on the DL. A move that turned out to be wise as Gholston and Pace got to Campbell as the ball was released, thus forcing an incompletion and an impressive 3 and out.

-- Harris was back in the lineup today, after sitting out last weeks game vs. the Browns. S. Ellis however, was not back, and he, once again, was replaced by LE Mike DeVito.

-- Gholston made his appearence known for the 1st time, as he got in the face of Campbell, which forced an incomplete pass on 3rd and long.

==

Offense: Drive 2 (Highlights)

1st and 10 (WASH 46) -- 6 yard run up the middle with T. Richardson leading the way for Leon.

3rd and 3 -- 4WR set, TJones the loneback. Favre Play Actions, good protection (nice recovery block by T.Jones to prevent a sack), and Favre airs out a 20 yard beauty with the perfect amount of touch to Jerricho Cotchery, who falls at about the 21 yard line.

1st and 10 (WASH 21) -- Reverse statue of liberty play to Brad Smith, who takes it through a big hole on the left side for a pickup of 11 and give the Jets a 1st and goal.

1st and goal - Leon Washington starts right, and makes a nice cutback to the left and picks up 5 yards on the play.

2nd and goal - Favre takes a three step drop, and fires one to TE Dustin Keller on the left side in the endzone for the first TD of the game, and Favre' s first career TD as a Jet.

JETS: 7 'SKINS: 0

-- Keller, after not appearing on the 1st drive, made his presence known with the games first TD on the 2nd drive.

--Brett Favre, who came out after the 2nd drive, was very effective in his first 14 plays in a Jet uniform, completing 5 of 6 for 48 yards and a TD.

--TJones and Leon continue to share time at RB.

------------------

Defense: Drive 2

This, the same defense, but the CS decided to bring in their backup CB's, Lowery and Barrett, to play along with the 1st teamers this drive.

Basically, Barrett looked awful out there, getting burned a couple times, getting flagged once for Pass Interference, and allowing some easy passes in the 5-7 yard range. As for the run defense, well, they averted pretty much back to last week's form, as they were torched on a couple of draws and delays by Ladell Betts. The Redskins moved the ball well against us here, and ate up a lot of time doing so. Fortunately (thanks to a great play on a screen by Eric Barton), the Redskins ended up settling for a F.G.

JETS: 7 'SKINS: 3

-- Pace and Jenkins both made some nice plays in the red zone defense, as did Eric Barton, which was good to see after a long drive like that.

-- For some reason, we look real vulnerable against the delay/draw plays. Hopefully this is something they can correct by the time week 1 rolls around.

===

Well, thats pretty much all for the starters...I'll come back probably tomorrow with some more notes and thoughts about the rest of the game.

Stay tuned, and thanks for reading!

Thanks GGM for the report.

I have two observations about the game. First, I dont think Justin Miller can play CB yet at this level. He may one day be a decent CB but he isnt right now and I dont think the Jets are gonna spend more money trying to find out. The play where a penalty was called on the WR was a bad call, JM just got beat badly on an fake 'in' route. Really badly.

I have liked Clemens. But though he had alot of bad luck - the aforementioned dropped passes - I think he also possesses bad body language. He is short and gets too many passes batted down. And he seems too uptight right now. Happy feet and all. To me for the first time, Ratliff looked so much more poised in the pocket.

Favre has some seriously good mojo.

I have two observations about the game. First, I dont think Justin Miller can play CB yet at this level. He may one day be a decent CB but he isnt right now and I dont think the Jets are gonna spend more money trying to find out. The play where a penalty was called on the WR was a bad call, JM just got beat badly on an fake 'in' route. Really badly.

I have liked Clemens. But though he had alot of bad luck - the aforementioned dropped passes - I think he also possesses bad body language. He is short and gets too many passes batted down. And he seems too uptight right now. Happy feet and all. To me for the first time, Ratliff looked so much more poised in the pocket.

Favre has some seriously good mojo.

Clemens' height is not the problem. Favre looked the same height when they were standing next to each other on the sideline & is hardly known for a totally overhanded throwing motion. Ratliff who's 6'4" had one batted down as well. Clemens had 2 batted down though. And he just doesn't look as fluid. He does have a seriously strong arm. The concern (as has been from day one) is that he doesn't have much more to his game than that fastball.

Clemens' height is not the problem. Favre looked the same height when they were standing next to each other on the sideline & is hardly known for a totally overhanded throwing motion. Ratliff who's 6'4" had one batted down as well. Clemens had 2 batted down though. And he just doesn't look as fluid. He does have a seriously strong arm. The concern (as has been from day one) is that he doesn't have much more to his game than that fastball.

he had 4 drops, you guys are too tough on KC

Did you read any of my other posts about Clemens since the game ended? I only brought up that very point at least 3 times this morning.

sorry i go from back to front

the trips may be an issue, though i am not sure if back up guard is pulling out to soon

sorry i go from back to front

the trips may be an issue, though i am not sure if back up guard is pulling out to soon

Mangini said on two of them that Clemens' foot was stepped on. That's 6 passing plays that we got nothing out of & don't seem to be Kellen's fault.

You're going to trip if you try to back up with a 300-lb man stepping on your foot.

You're going to have incompletions in the stat line if receivers drop 4 passes that hit them in their hands.

Eh. He looked like **** with the first team O. I don't blame him for the trips. That's got to be the C or G. Or the drops, though the fact that for two years we're still using this excuse for him and none of the other QBs means he probably deserves some blame. I blame him because he does not look poised or in command of the huddle.

Eh. He looked like **** with the first team O. I don't blame him for the trips. That's got to be the C or G. Or the drops, though the fact that for two years we're still using this excuse for him and none of the other QBs means he probably deserves some blame. I blame him because he does not look poised or in command of the huddle.

I definitely agree with that last statement. But there is no excuse for players dropping passes that hit them in their hands.

But parlaying last year's troubles onto this years is not really warranted. The drops came from McCareins, who dropped any pass over 20mph; Brad Smith, who clearly wasn't ready to be a WR; and Cotchery, who had a broken finger.

But those drops were ridiculous last night, and they were ridiculous last year.

Archived