CB dept. : " Jets leaning toward Miller for starting CB duties " ~ ~ ~

kelly

Home > The Way We Hear It

~ ~ ~ NY Jets

Aug. 15, 2008

Jets leaning toward Miller for starting CB duties

The Jets recently offered a not-so-subtle clue as to who their starting cornerback will be opposite Darrelle Revis. More specifically, they clued us in with who it won

Home > The Way We Hear It

~ ~ ~ NY Jets

Aug. 15, 2008

Jets leaning toward Miller for starting CB duties

The Jets recently offered a not-so-subtle clue as to who their starting cornerback will be opposite Darrelle Revis. More specifically, they clued us in with who it won

Agreed, Miller sucks as a CB. Edwards tore him up in the first preseason game - expect to see more of this until Mangini comes to his senses and starts someone else.

I assume you are thinking of somebody else. I'm no Miller fan, but Braylon Edwards caught one pass last week and it was the TD on Revis. Edwards also scorched Revis in '07. If having Braylon Edwards torch you is the sign of a bad corner then Revis isn't sniffing the pro bowl everybody is projecting.

I assume you are thinking of somebody else. I'm no Miller fan, but Braylon Edwards caught one pass last week and it was the TD on Revis. Edwards also scorched Revis in '07. If having Braylon Edwards torch you is the sign of a bad corner then Revis isn't sniffing the pro bowl everybody is projecting.

I don't know where people get their impressions of Miller from this year. He has been solid in TC and has only given up a couple of short passes in the first two pre-season games. That interference call in theBrowns game was complete BS. I love Lowery's potential like a lot of people. But you don't have to hate on Miller. You need all of the good CBs you can get. If Miller is good and Lowery becomes even better, than that is a good situation.

And I don't think Edwards making a circus one handed behind the back catch is exactly "scorching" Revis.

The real mystery is why do the Jets think they need Barrett at all?

I don't know where people get their impressions of Miller from this year. He has been solid in TC and has only given up a couple of short passes in the first two pre-season games. That interference call in theBrowns game was complete BS. I love Lowery's potential like a lot of people. But you don't have to hate on Miller. You need all of the good CBs you can get. If Miller is good and Lowery becomes even better, than that is a good situation.

And I don't think Edwards making a circus one handed behind the back catch is exactly "scorching" Revis.

I agree, and 50% of the time they would call Edwards for pushing off Revis on that play. Edited by Jade Green

Miller got a penalty and Edwards burned him anyway. The TD catch Edwards had against Revis was an amazing catch - Deion Sanders in his prime couldn't have stopped that.

Miller got a penalty and Edwards burned him anyway. The TD catch Edwards had against Revis was an amazing catch - Deion Sanders in his prime couldn't have stopped that.

Miller had perfect position on him. Edwards ran thru Miller and they called the interference on Miller.

Agreed.

It wasn't in the preseason game that Revis got "scorched". It was last year. He had decent position, but Edwards used him and caught a couple of balls Revis should have had. It was the worst I've seen him look.

Who knows? I've been wondering that for a couple of years.

Yep, I can certainly agree there wasn't much chance of stopping that TD. One interference call is no reason to give up on Miller. He certainly seems much more composed back there this preseason than he has in the past.

Edited by #27TheDominator

I love Lowery's potential like a lot of people. But you don't have to hate on Miller. You need all of the good CBs you can get. If Miller is good and Lowery becomes even better, than that is a good situation.

I don't like Miller as a QB. I think if Parcells was coach, Miller's would've gotten a familiar nickname: The Wizard.

They pulled Revis early the other night, because his job is secure - but they also wanted to get Lowery work with the #1's. I like Lowery the way I like(d) Clemens - I saw him as the lesser of two evils. Lowery has some limits to his game, too, and has an uphill battle as a rookie with less than stellar speed. CB is a position a rookie can play on instinct effectively, but that gets harder to do if you're missing that extra gear.

I think CB still looks like a draft priority in '09.

I don't like Miller as a QB. I think if Parcells was coach, Miller's would've gotten a familiar nickname: The Wizard.

They pulled Revis early the other night, because his job is secure - but they also wanted to get Lowery work with the #1's. I like Lowery the way I like(d) Clemens - I saw him as the lesser of two evils. Lowery has some limits to his game, too, and has an uphill battle as a rookie with less than stellar speed. CB is a position a rookie can play on instinct effectively, but that gets harder to do if you're missing that extra gear.

No. Just NO. Drafting CB's early in the draft 2 out of 3 years is moronic.

Again, I think Miller is being unfairly judged from two and three years ago. He was coming on last year until he got hurt. So far in TC and the first two pre-season games, he is definitely improved. Is he another Revis? No. But I'd like to see some more of him before we make any definitive conclusions.

No. Just NO. Drafting CB's early in the draft 2 out of 3 years is moronic.

Not when you consider the free agent spree the Jets just went on, and the cost of a star (or even starting) CB in free agency.

I don't want to look beyond the upcoming brief Favre era, but obviously QB has to be a draft concern next year. Probably RT, too. But where are the other holes in the roster? RB, maybe? DE? I think you've got a solid CB in Revis, and a lot of near adequate to go along with him. Given the fact that rookie CB's can be very effective, and FA CB's cost a ton, I think it has the potential to be a prudent early move.

It all comes down to how the draft falls, but if a CB is standing out as the BAP in the early rounds, I think it'd be a no-brainer for the Jets to jump on him.

Not when you consider the free agent spree the Jets just went on, and the cost of a star (or even starting) CB in free agency.

I don't want to look beyond the upcoming brief Favre era, but obviously QB has to be a draft concern next year. Probably RT, too. But where are the other holes in the roster? RB, maybe? DE? I think you've got a solid CB in Revis, and a lot of near adequate to go along with him. Given the fact that rookie CB's can be very effective, and FA CB's cost a ton, I think it has the potential to be a prudent early move.

It all comes down to how the draft falls, but if a CB is standing out as the BAP in the early rounds, I think it'd be a no-brainer for the Jets to jump on him.

They are still WAY to mediocre at RB, WR and DL to draft a CB that high.

Again, I think Miller is being unfairly judged from two and three years ago. He was coming on last year until he got hurt. So far in TC and the first two pre-season games, he is definitely improved. Is he another Revis? No. But I'd like to see some more of him before we make any definitive conclusions.

I hear you. That injury, and the fact that I just didn't feel he was getting it mentally leave me concerned about him. But yeah, we definitely have to see more of him.

They are still WAY to mediocre at RB, WR and DL to draft a CB that high.

I love drafting WR's, but I'm thinking the Jets are actually looking pretty good at the receiver positions right now with Clowney, Stuckey, and Keller, all looking like solid options beyond Cotchery and Coles.

Like I bolded above, you can't force a pick on the DL or at RB (or anywhere else) - especially if a player's standing out at another position of need. Doesn't matter how recently you've drafted that same position.

I love drafting WR's, but I'm thinking the Jets are actually looking pretty good at the receiver positions right now with Clowney, Stuckey, and Keller, all looking like solid options beyond Cotchery and Coles.

Like I bolded above, you can't force a pick on the DL or at RB (or anywhere else) - especially if a player's standing out at another position of need. Doesn't matter how recently you've drafted that same position.

Coles is old and can't stay on the field. Suckey has never done anything in any game preseason included and Clowny is hurt. WR is one of the jets' biggest problems.

Coles is old and can't stay on the field. Suckey has never done anything in any game preseason included and Clowny is hurt. WR is one of the jets' biggest problems.

Okay. At worst, it's another position where -like Miller- it bears watching.

I have to honestly say I like the Jets' depth at WR a lot better than I like the depth at CB. Add to that the fact that I like the Jets' TE's better than their safeties, and I think I'll be sticking to my guns for the time being on this one.