The Ty Law Effect

Barton

Ok. Lets go out on alimb here and assume the Jets sign Ty Law. He'll obviously start at LCB. Which is split on the side of the field with the Strong Safety.

The strong safety position is totally up for grabs. You got cover guys like Jon McGlass, Kerry Rhodes and Oliver Celestin. And you have hard hitters like Rashad Washington and Andre Maddox.

Because Ty Law pretty much cuts the field in half it will allow Donnie to call the defense just how he wants, in any situation. It will allow the strong safety to play in the box and stuff the run. This is huge when we go against running teams like the bills and dolphins, especially the bills. I'm not saying you stack the box with the strong safety every down, obviously you cant do that and not eventually get burned for a deep ball. But it could really pay dividends if we sign Ty Law. He would not only make our pass defense instantly better but he'd allow the SS to stack the box more often which would in-effect improve the run defense or just make it more stout.

Obviously against teams like the Raiders with their abundance of WRs we might not be moving the SS up in the box, but against nearly any other team this is just another strong option that Donnie can consider each down.

So, IMO, if we sign Ty Law, I'd take our best run stuffing safety and put him at stong safety. Whoever it may be: Rhodes, Maddox, Celestin, McGraw or Washington, just put him at strong safety and let him essentialy be a 4th linebacker in the 4-3. Now obviously if Kerry Rhodes or another SS who's just an average run defender has an Erik Coleman like training camp you'd start him, but barring an outstanding camp, IMO if I'm Donnie Henderson I take our best run stuffing safety and start him at SS and let him play "rover"...........hmmmm didnt Andre Maddox play alittle "rover" at NC State?? Yes, he sure did. :mrgreen:

I agree with most of that, but there are two big IFs as far as I am concerned.

1) If we sign him

2) If he can play at the caliber after injury.

I think if the price is right, Terry will bite and he will be wearing green. The other if, though, is much harder to tell and really we won't know till half way through the season.

BZ

I don't think I commented once in the thousand+ threads about Ty Law, or before that, Randy Moss.

But there's a first time for everything:

Ty Law will be a Patriot, when all is said and done.

I got this little tidbit from the nypost this morning

"Jets management and the agent for Ty Law met yesterday and established some early parameters for their potential signing of the Pro Bowl cornerback"

I got this little tidbit from the nypost this morning

"Jets management and the agent for Ty Law met yesterday and established some early parameters for their potential signing of the Pro Bowl cornerback"

From the N.Y post that is a premium worth of info-that is saying practically nothing that we would know

Ok. Lets go out on alimb here and assume the Jets sign Ty Law. He'll obviously start at LCB. Which is split on the side of the field with the Strong Safety.

The strong safety position is totally up for grabs. You got cover guys like Jon McGlass, Kerry Rhodes and Oliver Celestin. And you have hard hitters like Rashad Washington and Andre Maddox.

Because Ty Law pretty much cuts the field in half it will allow Donnie to call the defense just how he wants, in any situation. It will allow the strong safety to play in the box and stuff the run. This is huge when we go against running teams like the bills and dolphins, especially the bills. I'm not saying you stack the box with the strong safety every down, obviously you cant do that and not eventually get burned for a deep ball. But it could really pay dividends if we sign Ty Law. He would not only make our pass defense instantly better but he'd allow the SS to stack the box more often which would in-effect improve the run defense or just make it more stout.

Obviously against teams like the Raiders with their abundance of WRs we might not be moving the SS up in the box, but against nearly any other team this is just another strong option that Donnie can consider each down.

So, IMO, if we sign Ty Law, I'd take our best run stuffing safety and put him at stong safety. Whoever it may be: Rhodes, Maddox, Celestin, McGraw or Washington, just put him at strong safety and let him essentialy be a 4th linebacker in the 4-3. Now obviously if Kerry Rhodes or another SS who's just an average run defender has an Erik Coleman like training camp you'd start him, but barring an outstanding camp, IMO if I'm Donnie Henderson I take our best run stuffing safety and start him at SS and let him play "rover"...........hmmmm didnt Andre Maddox play alittle "rover" at NC State?? Yes, he sure did. :mrgreen:

Not bad there barton, but you are making an assumption that Ty Law would match up one-on-one with the WR for his left CB position.

Keep in mind that when Law was with the Pats they played 80% zone pass coverage. Law always had help from both the SS and FS on deep patterns.

By moving one of the safties up in the box, you pretty much mandate 1-1 coverage in the secondary.

As I've said many times before, Law is great at reading patterns and anticipating/jumping routes, always knowing that he has deep help from the safeties.

Good post.

It would also allow Donnie to call more Strong Safety blitzes when he wants to. This would be a huge signing. It improves the defense dramatically and it also gets the Jets more national media coverage. Sportscenter will have live reporters at the Jets camp interviewing ty law etc etc :lol:

if the jets sign law - mickens moves to nickel and miller backs up law. what happens to strait? another year on the bench?

Either Mickens is not a Jet or Strait and Mickens will fight it out for the nickel job. No matter what, we'll see Strait on the field IMO, with all the 4 WR sets teams run we'll need alot of good solid corners.

The idea that Ty Law cuts the field in half is laughable.

In his best games and form he has still had safety help, he is NOT a shutdown corner in man coverage, not in recent years.

What he has been is, in his up years, killer in the zone, physical and good in run support, and a guy who catches it when he gets his hands on it.

Whether he will even do that is up in the air given his injury.

In his best games and form he has still had safety help, he is NOT a shutdown corner in man coverage, .

I agree!

But he would still be an upgrade in the Jets secondary, the crux of the deal is his asking price.

In his best games and form he has still had safety help, he is NOT a shutdown corner in man coverage, not in recent years.

What he has been is, in his up years, killer in the zone, physical and good in run support, and a guy who catches it when he gets his hands on it.

Whether he will even do that is up in the air given his injury.

I agree, he's much better suited to play zone, but dont kid yourself RS, he can play man to man just fine. I've seen him completely own Santana Moss on 1 on 1 coverage with no safety help far too many times to think otherwise.

Against teams with not so great #1 WRs, Ty Law will obviously allow Donnie to be more flexable in calling his game. God knows Rodney Harrison was stacking the box as the 8th man very often. This would be ideal going against kansas city and priest holmes because the chiefs have a bunch of average joes at WR.

Archived