Does Justin Miller Make This Team?

SoFlaJets

did you watch the game the other night? Have you SEEN one iota of improvement from Justin Miller at cornerback since we drafted him? All the guy has is an ability to return kickoffs-not punts only KO's-well Carroll can too AND he can cover a receiver UNlike Miller-so can Drew and so can Hank-Barrett can too and he ain't going anywhere since they re-did his contract-if we cut a Hank Poteat or Carroll over Miller we're gonna live to regret that move

Carroll was the #24 pick, Miller wasn't far below that. If Carroll's character concerns arose earlier like Miller, he might have dropped the same way. You haven't seen Carroll **** up because you haven't seen Carroll play corner. Miller does look better to me and I'd be surprised if Carroll makes the team. He certainly didn't look as good as Miller on his return.

IMO, Barrett, Carroll and Coleman are the ones fighting for a roster spot. They allegedly re-did Barrett's contract because if he didn't they would have cut him if they signed Lynch. There is no guarantee that he sticks just because he shaved a million off his deal.

As much as I dislike Miller, watching Ahmad Carroll try to play CB a few years ago for the Packers was just painful.

Carroll was awful, and i mean awful. The dude couldn't walk on the field without committing a penalty. There was one drive where he had two pass interference calls AND a 15 yard penalty. It was to the point of not being believeable.

so right now IJ, if we keep 6 CBs here's how I rate them

Revis

Lowery

Barrett

Poteat

Coleman

Carroll

Miller

so it's between Miller and Carroll-if Carroll can break off a KOR for a TD and say a nice punt return he can beat Miller out-anybody think we re-did Barrett's contract because of the way Miller looked?

Miller was starting last year for two game and got hurt. He's shown he can improve year to year, i have no doubt he got better by watching film from last year. It's really not worth arguing over until the season starts anyway. Nothing really to base the 2008 Justin Miller on.

Carroll was the #24 pick, Miller wasn't far below that. If Carroll's character concerns arose earlier like Miller, he might have dropped the same way. You haven't seen Carroll **** up because you haven't seen Carroll play corner. Miller does look better to me and I'd be surprised if Carroll makes the team. He certainly didn't look as good as Miller on his return.

IMO, Barrett, Carroll and Coleman are the ones fighting for a roster spot. They allegedly re-did Barrett's contract because if he didn't they would have cut him if they signed Lynch. There is no guarantee that he sticks just because he shaved a million off his deal.

Got to agree with all of this. I also think Miller has shown improvement this season. What's going on is Lowery is showing a lot. This is a good thing. If Lowery overtakes him on the depth chart. Great, but Miller has not sucked this preseason. Barrett is still in grave danger, as he should be

Neither Miller nor Carroll should start. The starting CB should be either Dwight Lowery or Hank Poteat.

Mangini has made mistakes like this before, thinking he can remake a player into something he's not. For 2 years he thought Dewayne Robertson was a legit starting Nose Tackle and Jonathan Vilma could play ILB and last year he thought Adrian Clarke could play Left Guard.

In 3+ years Miller has not shown the ability to play Corner. A good kick returner yes, but like the Demond Howards of the world that should be his only gig. He did not look good at all versus the Browns in the first preseason game. Maybe he can hold his own week 1 versus whatever scrub lines up against him in Miami but week 2 if Brady's healthy Wes Walker is going to destroy this guy.

Neither Miller nor Carroll should start. The starting QB should be either Dwight Lowery or Hank Poteat.

Mangini has made mistakes like this before, thinking he can remake a player into something he's not. For 2 years he thought Dewayne Robertson was a legit starting Nose Tackle and Jonathan Vilma could play ILB and last year he thought Adrian Clarke could play Left Guard.

In 3+ years Miller has not shown the ability to play Corner. He did not look good at all versus the Browns in the first preseason game. Maybe he can hold his own week 1 versus whatever scrub lines up against him in Miami but week 2 if Brady's healthy Wes Walker is going to destroy this guy.

I'm not saying he should start-I'm saying I KNOW Miller should NOT. Good point about the square pegs round holes Mangini thinks he can squeeze in-it never seems to work. What it comes down to is we need to get rid of most of the Herm/ways' picks with the exception of the best like Cotch, Rhodes and Leon and whoever else

did you watch the game the other night? Have you SEEN one iota of improvement from Justin Miller at cornerback since we drafted him? All the guy has is an ability to return kickoffs-not punts only KO's-well Carroll can too AND he can cover a receiver UNlike Miller-so can Drew and so can Hank-Barrett can too and he ain't going anywhere since they re-did his contract-if we cut a Hank Poteat or Carroll over Miller we're gonna live to regret that move

yes, i have seen quite a bit of an improvement since his rookie year. he was having a good camp last year and then he got injured early in the season.

Either way, i never said he should be starting or not, you said he should be cut, and i'm sorry but that is idiotic. carroll has had his chance in multiple locales and has never done anything. miller has at least shown upside, imo, and has made the probowl as a returner.

Carroll on the other hand was arrested for having extasy and illegal weapons at the same time, oh and he commits penalties like crazy. yay

im not rooting against the guy, i try not to do those types of things. but why are you so against miller? If anything be mad at the front office for not bringing another corner in, if you in fact think its so bare in that cupboard.

yes, i have seen quite a bit of an improvement since his rookie year. he was having a good camp last year and then he got injured early in the season.

Either way, i never said he should be starting or not, you said he should be cut, and i'm sorry but that is idiotic. carroll has had his chance in multiple locales and has never done anything. miller has at least shown upside, imo, and has made the probowl as a returner.

Carroll on the other hand was arrested for having extasy and illegal weapons at the same time, oh and he commits penalties like crazy. yay

im not rooting against the guy, i try not to do those types of things. but why are you so against miller? If anything be mad at the front office for not bringing another corner in, if you in fact think its so bare in that cupboard.

The FO did bring in another guy - Dwight Lowery - and he's probably a better CB.

I don't know maybe I just don't like men who punch women in the face like Miller-I call them pussies meow meow

no I am not on crack and Justin Miller won't even BE the starter by week one...the guy sucks and is just another stupid move made by Bradway and Edwards that needs to be rectified. He can NOT play the position he was drafted to play and all he brings to the table is he can hit-of course that hit has to come after he got burned and two he USED to be a pro bowl returner-but they had to be KICKOFF returns b/c he can't catch punts. I'd take Ahmad Carroll over him right now

Now I know your just using lousy speculation with little or no research into the situation.... Carroll is where he is today becuase he was penalty prone... he is exactly what you think Miller is just was even worse at one time... lol

I would actually like to see the JETS sign a FA after cuts that can compete... hopefully Lowery steps up... and I would like to see Miller compete for safety opposite Rhodes.

I'm not saying he should start-I'm saying I KNOW Miller should NOT. Good point about the square pegs round holes Mangini thinks he can squeeze in-it never seems to work. What it comes down to is we need to get rid of most of the Herm/ways' picks with the exception of the best like Cotch, Rhodes and Leon and whoever else

no, you said he should be cut. which is idiotic.

I dont care what anyone says you put miller at nickel back and he is amazing. I think he is the 3rd best corner we have on the team, revis,lowery,miller. If I had to say who was the worst it would be barrett. How can you say that barrett is better when he gives a 30 yard cushion.

Why does everybody think Miller can play safety? He can't even play corner. He sometimes looks lost in zone, he's small and IMO he whiffs way too often to play safety. Safeties are supposed to be safe. Sure he's athletic, but so are the actual safeties. I just think he doesn't seem to have the mentality for safety.

Why does everybody think Miller can play safety? He can't even play corner. He sometimes looks lost in zone, he's small and IMO he whiffs way too often to play safety. Safeties are supposed to be safe. Sure he's athletic, but so are the actual safeties. I just think he doesn't seem to have the mentality for safety.

Agreed, I've never understood that idea either. People seem to think because he can hit, that he can play safety. IMO he'd just suck as much there if not even more so.

How anyone can make a definitive judgement on Miller at this point is a mystery to me. Pro or con. Or even why anyone would want to.

Here are the facts that I don't think anyone can dispute:

- he is a great athlete

- he is a great kickoff return guy

- as a CB, he was very raw coming into the league

- as a CB, he has made progress each year to the point that Mangini, who knows a little more about DBs than the posters on this board, has him starting and has praised him during camp

- even if Lowery turns out to be the next Herb Adderley, you have to be pretty naive to not realize a team needs at least three good CBs.

- the interference call in the Browns game was complete BS. What other horrible things are people seeing about this guy that causes them to write him off? And if you have not been to training camp, you are basing your evaluation on two pre-season games? And I don't want to hear about the past. He is still young enough and has enough raw potential that you have to give him more time. Last year was a waste for him due to the injury. Should we have cut D'Brick after last year?

Give the guy a break and root for him. I know he hit a woman. He didn't fly a plane into the WTC.

........"CB Justin Miller, battling David Barrett and Dwight Lowery for starter's job opposite CB Darrelle Revis, left the game with two minutes left in the first half, limping off the field after coming up to make a stop on Derrick Ward on a 10-yard run. He was then carted off with what was called a foot injury and did not return.".............

Justin Miller will make the team, thats a lock. Will he start? well, the way Mangini likes to rotate his secondary, especially CB;s...Does it really matter who 'starts'?

Oh, and Leon was a Tangini pick btw, in fact, we drafted him with the pick we got from KC for Herm.

J. Miller is still a good KO return man because of his speed , There is only soo much room on the roster and Lowery has looked much better then him at Cb. but there is still nickel back and dime, Jets shouldnt write off J. Miller just yet , lets see how he comes back from injury. Jets could try him out at Free safety.

Lowery is much more of a baller at CB, what a steal the jets got in 4th round, Just because he was .10 second slower then the 1st rounders and 2nd rounders at the combine's.

Archived