How exactly does the PUP list work?

Say for example D. Clowney is put on the PUP list today. Does he have to clear waivers after sitting out the first 6 regular season weeks to be allowed back on the Jets roster. Also, how many PUP moves does each team get? Is there a limit? Thanks......

A player on the PUP list doesn't count against the roster, also a player can not practice with the team but can do things privately like rehab. He can be activated at anytime during TC, just when the coach feels he's ready. Of course, until week 6, the player will be on reserve. During weeks 7-9, while practicing with the team, the coach has to make a decision by week 9 wheather to put him on the IR for the remainder of the season or reactivate him.

It sure sounds to me like the PUP list is the perfect place for Clowney. His shoulder will get the two months that it need to heal and he can join the team for the 2nd half of the season.

There have been reports that Clowney is day to day, if he's not and the reports of 4-6 weeks are right, then yes he should go op the PUP list.

It sure sounds to me like the PUP list is the perfect place for Clowney. His shoulder will get the two months that it need to heal and he can join the team for the 2nd half of the season.

But who do you cut to make room on the roster when it's time to activate him? That's the tricky part.

Say for example D. Clowney is put on the PUP list today. Does he have to clear waivers after sitting out the first 6 regular season weeks to be allowed back on the Jets roster. Also, how many PUP moves does each team get? Is there a limit? Thanks......

I don't think he'd ever have to clear waivers, but if he did it would be before going on the PUP list, not coming off it.

But who do you cut to make room on the roster when it's time to activate him? That's the tricky part.

I disagree completely. Just like paying money out of pocket, this is a situation you delay as much as possible. It's football I can pretty much guarantee one or two players off the 53 will be hurt by the time he's eligible to come off.

I don't think it's the way to go because he'll miss at least half the season. Can't practice with the team on the PUP list. That means after week 6 he will not have practiced in 8 weeks. It'll take quite a while to round back into shape and at that point you'll be lucky if he's back by week 9 or 10. If his injury is really 3-5 weeks then you sit tight and hope he gets better unless you want to shelve him because you like the way Henry is playing.

Archived