Pennington: Coles acting out of loyalty

KSJets

I saw this on ESPN's site and I didn't see this posted here so here's a different take on the Coles situation:

Pennington: Coles acting out of loyalty

August 20, 2008 8:06 PM

Posted by ESPN.com's Tim Graham

AP Photo/Kathy Willens

Laveranues Coles has been a model teammate since Brett Favre joined the Jets and Chad Pennington was released.

DAVIE, Fla. -- New York Jets receiver Laveranues Coles still hasn't spoken publicly about the team's decision to cut his close friend, Chad Pennington. The Jets had to dump Pennington to clear the way for Brett Favre's arrival two weeks ago.

Coles' refusal to talk has been one of the more fascinating Favre-related storylines of Jets camp. Coles has been criticized for pouting, for petulance, for being selfish because his pal was unfairly treated. Some wondered if he would reject Favre.

In Wednesday's New York Post, beat writer Mark Cannizzaro called Coles' decision not to speak to reporters "an unfortunate adolescent act of sulking over his hurt feelings."

Coles' old partner doesn't see it that way.

Pennington, who quickly found work with the Miami Dolphins, claimed Coles' actions are being misread.

"Laveranues Coles' best trait is loyalty," Pennington told ESPN.com. "He's an extremely loyal guy. That's what has made him great in the league, and it's taken him a long way in life.

"I don't fault him for that and I respect him for that. But once the games start and the whistle blows, he'll play hard for the Jets. I don't think anybody can ever question that."

Pennington was asked if he expected Coles to take his departure so hard.

"There's a special bond there," Pennington replied. "We came into the league together, and we've been great friends for a long time.

"But Laveranues also has that edge about him. [Coles' silent treatment] is not something that I would make too big a deal of."

The Jets drafted Pennington in the first round and Coles in the third round eight years ago. They hit it off immediately. Even though Coles had a productive stint with the Washington Redskins in 2003 and '04, his best numbers came when Pennington was throwing to him.

Of Pennington's 82 career touchdown passes, Coles has caught 18 of them, more than anybody else.

The Jets don't seem concerned with Coles' reticence.

By all accounts, Coles has been a model teammate since Favre joined the team and Pennington was released.

"He's not avoiding me right now, so that's good," Jets coach Eric Mangini said with a smile Tuesday. "We talk all the time. He has been great, great in meetings, great in everything we've asked him to do. He's been perfect."

Favre said he has been speaking with Coles, too.

Favre understands the splendor of chemistry. As Coles had a connection with Pennington, Favre had one with Donald Driver in Green Bay. Favre, in fact, sees similarities between the two receivers.

"He's a lot like [Donald] Driver," Favre said. "I mean that with the highest confidence.

"I've seen a lot of guys come and go that had tremendous speed, who could jump high, who could bench press more than anyone in the locker room. But could they play football? When it's all said and done, that's the most important thing: Can you play?"

While Coles has been hobbled by a leg injury that sidelined him the first two preseason games, Favre has been hooking up often with Jerricho Cotchery in practice. But that doesn't mean Coles can't be Favre's go-to guy like Driver was.

"I can't wait to get [Coles] back," Favre said. "I'm sure Eric doesn't want to put him on the field until he's 100 percent. It makes no sense.

"But having him out there, talking through things, having his experience can't do anything but help us."

In Wednesday's New York Post, beat writer Mark Cannizzaro called Coles' decision not to speak to reporters "an unfortunate adolescent act of sulking over his hurt feelings."

"

Hypocritical of Cannizarro to make such a statement, after how he acted when his buddy Herm left.

Coles needs to get over this or be traded to the Dolphins. Hopefully, it motivates him to some degree. He seems to play better with a chip on his shoulder.

Was Coles bonning Chad? Give me a friggin' break, will you? Coles-y, you know how the NFL works. It's a business, guys get cut or traded every day. You know that. Stop the Mary-boy stuff and just play football. Go visit Chad on weekends. I'll pack a nice basket with scones, popovers, and a thermos of lavender scented tea. Jeez, enough. It's FOOTBALL guys.

I don't have any issues with this. There's no question about LC and CHad's relationship. He's upset and I don't begrudge him that. I am positive when the game starts, he's going to give everything he has. I think that's the kind of player Coles is.

Coles has taken too many shots to the head courtesy of Chads floaters. He cant think straight anymore.

Or maybe in his relationship with Chaddy, Coles enjoyed getting abused because he felt he deserved it somehow.

Like he was Chads wife or something.

I don't have any issues with this. There's no question about LC and CHad's relationship. He's upset and I don't begrudge him that. I am positive when the game starts, he's going to give everything he has. I think that's the kind of player Coles is.
Exactly, Coles has not caused the team any problems with this, and he always brings it come game time.

Nobody who matters has a problem with any of this, why it bothers some here is beyond me, he was complimented in the article despite his slience.

Hypocritical of Cannizarro to make such a statement, after how he acted when his buddy Herm left.

Coles needs to get over this or be traded to the Dolphins. Hopefully, it motivates him to some degree. He seems to play better with a chip on his shoulder.

Get over what? this is a media created issue...

Coles seems to always have to have something that he is annoyed with. As long he is only taking it out on the press, there is no downside. What is lower than the press? Except the ACLU, terrorists and pedofiles, of course.

Get over what? this is a media created issue...

So Coles ISN'T acting surly?

Favre DIDN'T find the need to have to talk to him and give him a sympathetic ear?

Pennington DIDN'T have to explain Coles' moodiness by playing loyalty?

The media made this up? Really?

If Coles doesn't have something to make him angry, he isn't happy. Whatever works. But it gets to be a tired act.

All Coles has done is not talk to the media. That's it. He's been spending most of his time recovering from his injury and I'm sure he's doing all he can to get used to playing with Favre. I really don't give a crap whether he's talking to the media or not as long as he's giving 100% on the field.

Exactly, Coles has not caused the team any problems with this, and he always brings it come game time.

Nobody who matters has a problem with any of this, why it bothers some here is beyond me, he was complimented in the article despite his slience.

In hindsight I agree. At the time last year, I thought he should have supported Clemens after the switch. But now that it is obvious Clemens is not an NFL caliber QB, I can't really say much.

I still think he's an annoying tool, but whatever. If he comes to play and the FO and CS and the team can tolerate him, that's fine. If he whines again this offseason for another contract though, **** him.

Coles will be fine, just media hype.

Here is what I think about Coles: he admittedly does not like training camp and this injury is just a con job to miss the workouts. As far as talking to the press, he loves jerking their chains. He needs to be on the field. He wasn't out there much last year.

I feel badly for Coles. Imagine how hurt he was when he bolted for the Redskins for more cash leaving Chad behind. I'm sure he was heartbroken signing that new paycheck back then. Terrible of the Redskins to force him to leave the Jets and Chad like that.

I feel badly for Coles. Imagine how hurt he was when he bolted for the Redskins for more cash leaving Chad behind. I'm sure he was heartbroken signing that new paycheck back then. Terrible of the Redskins to force him to leave the Jets and Chad like that.

Not nearly as happy as he was when he was traded back, when in a flurry of joy, he demanded that old contract be ripped up and he get a new, bigger one. And the sheen clearly hadn't worn off over this summer, when he demanded more again.

Coles is clearly out for himself, so for him to throw a fit when his "friend" is cut is simply hypocritical imo.

Was Coles bonning Chad? Give me a friggin' break, will you? Coles-y, you know how the NFL works. It's a business, guys get cut or traded every day. You know that. Stop the Mary-boy stuff and just play football. Go visit Chad on weekends. I'll pack a nice basket with scones, popovers, and a thermos of lavender scented tea. Jeez, enough. It's FOOTBALL guys.

That's pretty ****ed up considering LC was raped as a child. Poor taste IMO.

This is just pure BS... the guy is hurt trying to rehab and his best friend was released..leave it alone..and there were some reports he is dealing with family issues. Bother some of the other high priced players and get their quotes.

That's pretty ****ed up considering LC was raped as a child. Poor taste IMO.

For all we know he made that up, but regardless, stop being an uptight pantywad. Just because something bad happened to you in the past doesn't insulate you from all jokes of any kind. I don't know about Coles personal life because I do not care in the least, more than likely he doesn't know either. I don't really remember anyone talking about it on the boards, maybe I just wasn't around right then.

Plenty of people have very bad things happen to them, yet we just keep going forward about it. This dude makes millions and isn't even going to read that joke, he doesn't need people like you playing moral police.

I demand my right to make homosexual jokes about people on these boards!!! It is what we ARE people! Er...no wait, I meant like we just make those jokes a lot, not that we're, you know, except Smizzy and the other mods....

Not that there's anything wrong with that...

You know what I mean. We do gay sex on JN.

For all we know he made that up, but regardless, stop being an uptight pantywad. Just because something bad happened to you in the past doesn't insulate you from all jokes of any kind. I don't know about Coles personal life because I do not care in the least, more than likely he doesn't know either. I don't really remember anyone talking about it on the boards, maybe I just wasn't around right then.

Plenty of people have very bad things happen to them, yet we just keep going forward about it. This dude makes millions and isn't even going to read that joke, he doesn't need people like you playing moral police.

I demand my right to make homosexual jokes about people on these boards!!! It is what we ARE people! Er...no wait, I meant like we just make those jokes a lot, not that we're, you know, except Smizzy and the other mods....

This should be like the JN mission statement or something. :P

As someone that is close with someone that has been raped, and as a person that works closely with children on a daily basis, I take great offense to something of that nature.

Moral police? No. Maybe you weren't raised the right way, but I was always taught to treat others with respect, whether you know them or not. It's not about morality, it's about being a decent human being. To even remotely suggest that you condone such banter as to a child being raped goes to great lengths as to how much of a worthless piece of trash you are.

As someone that is close with someone that has been raped, and as a person that works closely with children on a daily basis, I take great offense to something of that nature.

Moral police? No. Maybe you weren't raised the right way, but I was always taught to treat others with respect, whether you know them or not. It's not about morality, it's about being a decent human being. To even remotely suggest that you condone such banter as to a child being raped goes to great lengths as to how much of a worthless piece of trash you are.

What a hypocritical little **** you are. This is what you call treating people with respect?

I might as well edit this post and explain more. I was pretty angry when I first wrote this, then thought better of it.

How is making a joke about consensual gay sex between two adult men condoning child rape? It takes a special kind of idiot to make that connection, and an even more special ******* to make that accusation. It is the most offensive thing I have ever seen written on these boards. Gay sex between consenting adults is fine to joke around about, but throwing around accusations on child rape, which is a serious issue, is irresponsible and reprehensible. Seriously, **** you.

What a hypocritical little **** you are. This is what you call treating people with respect?

I might as well edit this post and explain more. I was pretty angry when I first wrote this, then thought better of it.

How is making a joke about consensual gay sex between two adult men condoning child rape? It takes a special kind of idiot to make that connection, and an even more special ******* to make that accusation. It is the most offensive thing I have ever seen written on these boards. Gay sex between consenting adults is fine to joke around about, but throwing around accusations on child rape, which is a serious issue, is irresponsible and reprehensible. Seriously, **** you.

LC did not have consensual gay sex with another adult man, he was a child, and was raped by an adult man. There are no accusations, he admitted that it happened both in the newspapers and when he spoke on Oprah.

Because other people on this board, such as yourself, like to talk about homosexual things that makes you less responsible when speaking about LC being raped as a child? **** me? No..**** you and the rest of the scum that think like you. The world would be a far better place without the likes of pedophiles and rapists, as well as those that defend it. Ouch..you neg repped me. You really know where to hit me where it hurts.

LC did not have consensual gay sex with another adult man, he was a child, and was raped by an adult man. There are no accusations, he admitted that it happened both in the newspapers and when he spoke on Oprah.

Because other people on this board, such as yourself, like to talk about homosexual things that makes you less responsible when speaking about LC being raped as a child? **** me? No..**** you and the rest of the scum that think like you. The world would be a far better place without the likes of pedophiles and rapists, as well as those that defend it. Ouch..you neg repped me. You really know where to hit me where it hurts.

The bolded part, lest you forgot, is what you are complaining about. Is Chad Pennington an adult? Yes. Is Coles an adult? Yes. Would sex in this context be consensual, and between adults? Yes.

You are either the stupidest (yes it's a word) person on the internet, or you are deliberately trolling me. Either way, you win, I'm not going to continue playing your stupid little game.

The bolded part, lest you forgot, is what you are complaining about. Is Chad Pennington an adult? Yes. Is Coles an adult? Yes. Would sex in this context be consensual, and between adults? Yes.

You are either the stupidest (yes it's a word) person on the internet, or you are deliberately trolling me. Either way, you win, I'm not going to continue playing your stupid little game.

I see. My apologies..I thought you were were speaking of LC's past, not in the context of what the original poster had said. Sorry for the confusion.

That had to be just about the most ****ed up debate I've ever read on any message board.

Where were you? You could have stepped in and easily diffused the misunderstanding you douche.

If I wrote something vague that could be reasonably construed as condoning child rape, I profusely apologize for it. That whole "debate" as you call it IJ, was just depressing.

Where were you? You could have stepped in and easily diffused the misunderstanding you douche.

If I wrote something vague that could be reasonably construed as condoning child rape, I profusely apologize for it. That whole "debate" as you call it IJ, was just depressing.

I'm not insulting either of you, just pointing out that it was an incredibly random and strange thing to argue about in a football forum.

WTF does Cannizzaro expect Coles to do???

If Coles says that he's upset about the Jets cutting Chad, then he a trouble maker & a whiner. Coles doesn't want to talk about it and he's called an adolescent who's sulking over his hurt feelings. Coles can't win with this bozo!!

Find a real job Cannizzaro instead of being a very annoying writer!! :roll:

So Coles ISN'T acting surly?

Favre DIDN'T find the need to have to talk to him and give him a sympathetic ear?

Pennington DIDN'T have to explain Coles' moodiness by playing loyalty?

The media made this up? Really?

If Coles doesn't have something to make him angry, he isn't happy. Whatever works. But it gets to be a tired act.

PLayers are upset/pissed off/unhappy on a daily basis... we just dont know about it unless it effects their play becuase there is no need to know...

This has done nothing to effect Coles on the field... or off really for that matter... so who cares?

What did you expect him to be happy about his good friend leaving? He and Favre have been smiling together since day one at the Browns game together.

Stop buying into this media bull****... it makes people look silly when they buy into this crap.

Archived