Brad Smith the REAL DEAL.

JETSFAN5180

Ive been very critical of the WR corps. Cotchery is gonna flourish with Favre a true gem Terrell Owens and Randy Moss move over. Brad Smith looks to me like hes the real deal im shocked amazed and satisfied. WOW Coles once again a NO SHOW!

Why would they risk playing Coles?

He'll be fine and will still be #1 on opening day. Smith has impressed me, it's crazy how many people gave up on him so soon. It more often than not takes time for WR's to really develop. I really hope this is his year to step up, he seems to have secured the #3 spot on the depth chart.

He'll be fine and will still be #1 on opening day. Smith has impressed me, it's crazy how many people gave up on him so soon. It more often than not takes time for WR's to really develop. I really hope this is his year to step up, he seems to have secured the #3 spot on the depth chart.

1st rd pick wr's tend to struggle making the transition to the nfl. 1st rd wr's bust out more times than not.

smith was a qb so it takes even longer. he may never be a star but should hopefully be good enough as a #3.

I never gave up on Smith. I am glad to see he is finally putting it together. With D'Brick apparently stepping up, 2006 will end up being a very good draft if Clemens ever comes thru. At least with Favre here, he has a little more time. It is so true that you have to wait three or even four years to really evaluate a draft.

I don't think he'll actually be #1.... for a few reasons:

1) Cotchery is better.

2) Cotchery will have Chemistry with Favre... Favre looks very comfortable with Cotchery.

Getting a little concerned with Coles. He was very close to Chad and always made it on the field. From the day Chad was replaced, his leg injury became to painful to play. Alright, it happens. Now, we have a new QB, Coles friend is gone, and Coles is not playing and not practicing. It could be losing Pennington. It could be he's angry over not getting a contract extension. All I know is we need this guy to get reps with Favre and it's not happening. Holding him out of the exhibitions doesn't matter. Not practicing, matters. Cotchery is getting locked in. The Giants defense was beaten badly and often. Hope Coles joins the party. Times a wastin'.

I always give a receiver 3 years before I pass judgment, though I admittedly did give up on Smith early. Mostly because I didn't consider him a WR, but rather a QB converted gimmick player and that just wasn't working at all. If he really has progressed as well as he has shown thus far in preseason then I have high hopes for him again. Also, if he does become a solid #3 WR it would only bolster his usefulness on gimmick plays since defenses can't come to expect it every time he steps on the field.

I was there last night and was impressed with Smith. He's one of those guys that has an innate ability to get in between the seams. He might turn out to be a pretty good slot receiver, since he does not seem to be afraid to take a shot on a slant route.

I don't think he'll actually be #1.... for a few reasons:

1) Cotchery is better.

2) Cotchery will have Chemistry with Favre... Favre looks very comfortable with Cotchery.

Maybe, but I can't see Coles losing the #1 spot because of injuries, apparently he had an outstanding camp when healthy too.

It doesn't really matter though, if both are healthy, then both will start and will play for about the same # of snaps. One may line up on a different side, but do you think that really matters?

Anyways, it's good to see Smith coming along, his new found recieving abilities would be a welcome addition to the WR core, hopefully he lives up to the promise he's showing.

I'm always going to be a little skeptical though, didn't J-Mac have a great TC/Preseason last year? I believe he did.:shock:

Getting a little concerned with Coles. He was very close to Chad and always made it on the field. From the day Chad was replaced, his leg injury became to painful to play. Alright, it happens. Now, we have a new QB, Coles friend is gone, and Coles is not playing and not practicing. It could be losing Pennington. It could be he's angry over not getting a contract extension. All I know is we need this guy to get reps with Favre and it's not happening. Holding him out of the exhibitions doesn't matter. Not practicing, matters. Cotchery is getting locked in. The Giants defense was beaten badly and often. Hope Coles joins the party. Times a wastin'.

He has a had a fair few practices with Favre IIRC and Favre really liked him, comparing him to Donald Driver.

I always give a receiver 3 years before I pass judgment, though I admittedly did give up on Smith early. Mostly because I didn't consider him a WR, but rather a QB converted gimmick player and that just wasn't working at all. If he really has progressed as well as he has shown thus far in preseason then I have high hopes for him again. Also, if he does become a solid #3 WR it would only bolster his usefulness on gimmick plays since defenses can't come to expect it every time he steps on the field.

Three years is often the number for WR's to "get it" at the pro level. For Smith as a converted QB, he really should be given at least that long to pass judgement on him. I was glad to see him do well last night. The coaching staff is showing their confidence in him by inserting him in the staring line-up in Coles absence. That speaks volumes.

I love the fact that they use Smith as the up man on the punt team. That's a fake or two waiting to happen.

Looks like Henry is filling some of the vacuum left by Clowney. That was good to see, too. Be nice to have a big target out there.

Maybe, but I can't see Coles losing the #1 spot because of injuries, apparently he had an outstanding camp when healthy too.

It doesn't really matter though, if both are healthy, then both will start and will play for about the same # of snaps. One may line up on a different side, but do you think that really matters?

Anyways, it's good to see Smith coming along, his new found recieving abilities would be a welcome addition to the WR core, hopefully he lives up to the promise he's showing.

I'm always going to be a little skeptical though, didn't J-Mac have a great TC/Preseason last year? I believe he did.:shock:

#1 position is meaningless... Cotchery will get the "must complete" throws, at least early on

1. coles

2. cotchery

3. smith

4. stuckey

5. henry

will we keep a 6th receiver? i doubt it, but if we do it'll be clowney.

I can't see us keeping Henry over either Wright or Clowney.

I think it will be:

Coles

Cotch

Smith

Stuckey

Wright

Clowney may be put on I.R.

The cool thing about seeing improvement in the WR group is that it's happening from within. Free agency is great for filling a whole here and there, but the really great teams, the dynasties and such, build their teams from the draft and good coaching. The Jets seem to be trying to improve the team using both methods. I hope, as time goes on, that they'll need to use free agents from outside the organization less and less.

You make a good point we need to not only use free agency to fill holes but it is important to develop the talent we get through the draft and UDFA. The approach the team has taken to target good athletes with talent and work ethics is looking good and we can only hope their play improves throughout the regular season. The WR corps and the D line as well shows vasts improvement and depth from some unknown names. It should be interesting team to watch this year. One caution I have is the OL. The talent and depth are just not there, despite the best efforts of the new OL coach Callahan.

Archived