What is the Meaning of Life?

war ensemble

Hypothetically speaking, what about for those who never make it past childhood, etc? What about those who have only had downs? What does learning those lessons do for you after you die?

The best answer I can come up with is to try and make the world the best place possible and pave the way for future generations' happiness.

you're telling me a guy from across the pond like you has no idea what that means? Really? You've never read Hitchhiker's guide to the universe?

Is it a good book? I can't sleep, I've already read through the first third of Burmese Days for the second time. I've watched parts of the movie--looked like a stoner's movie, to be honest.

I will quote the simple man; James Taylor...

The secret of life is enjoying the passage of time

Any fool can do it

There aint nothing to it

Nobody knows how we got to

The top of the hill

But since were on our way down

We might as well enjoy the ride

The secret of love is in opening up your heart

Its okay to feel afraid

But dont let that stand in your way

cause anyone knows that love is the only road

And since were only here for a while

Might as well show some style

Give us a smile

Isnt it a lovely ride

Sliding down

Gliding down

Try not to try too hard

Its just a lovely ride

Now the thing about time is that time

Isnt really real

Its just your point of view

How does it feel for you

Einstein said he could never understand it all

Planets spinning through space

The smile upon your face

Welcome to the human race

Some kind of lovely ride

Ill be sliding down

Ill be gliding down

Try not to try too hard

Its just a lovely ride

Isnt it a lovely ride

Sliding down

Gliding down

Try not to try too hard

Its just a lovely ride

Now the secret of life is enjoying the passage of time

Well, it's nothing very special. Uh, try and be nice to people, avoid eating fat, read a good book every now and then, get some walking in, and try and live together in peace and harmony with people of all creeds and nations. And, finally, here are some completely gratuitous pictures of penises to annoy the censors and to hopefully spark some sort of controversy, which, it seems, the only way, these days, to get the jaded, video-sated public off their *****ing arses and back in the sodding cinema. Family entertainment, bollocks! What they want is filth! People doing things to each other with chainsaws during Tupperware parties. Babysitters being stabbed with knitting needles by gay presidential candidates. Vigilante groups strangling chickens, armed bands of theatre critics exterminating mutant goats

Well, it's nothing very special. Uh, try and be nice to people, avoid eating fat, read a good book every now and then, get some walking in, and try and live together in peace and harmony with people of all creeds and nations. And, finally, here are some completely gratuitous pictures of penises to annoy the censors and to hopefully spark some sort of controversy, which, it seems, the only way, these days, to get the jaded, video-sated public off their *****ing arses and back in the sodding cinema. Family entertainment, bollocks! What they want is filth! People doing things to each other with chainsaws during Tupperware parties. Babysitters being stabbed with knitting needles by gay presidential candidates. Vigilante groups strangling chickens, armed bands of theatre critics exterminating mutant goats… Where's the fun in pictures? Oh, well, there we are. Here's the theme music. Goodnight.

:character42:

The meaning of life is to be nice, be tolerant, avoid eating fat, the occasional good read, evening strolls and pg-13 movies?

I think life is about doing the best you can and loving the best you can. Without love, I don't think life has much meaning at all.

:character42:

The meaning of life is to be nice, be tolerant, avoid eating fat, the occasional good read, evening strolls and pg-13 movies?

I think life is about doing the best you can and loving the best you can. Without love, I don't think life has much meaning at all.

movie quote, ms. chick pea... ;)

paging pdm .. paging bob... cmon guys..

anyone out there recognize it??? OY!

and yes.. love is the thing... i agree.. :D and laughter!!!!

movie quote, ms. chick pea... ;)

paging pdm .. paging bob... cmon guys..

anyone out there recognize it??? OY!

and yes.. love is the thing... i agree.. :D and laughter!!!!

...Got it...The Meaning of Life - Monty Python style.

The meaning of life?

I could post it but one of the mods would lock this because I got all religious. :)

I used to be able to give the religious answer, but Aristotle has corrupted and me and left me in a state of doubt, heh. And I used to be the one getting threads locked around here about religion. I don't think that sort of stuff has happened once since Jet Mo was banned.

By the way, I was posting this to see everyone's opinion on this, I still have a direction in my life and am satisfied with the meaning I can find.

But, to be honest, I find it's more about making those around you happier and live better lives while carving the path for the rest of the world's next generation to follow.

I used to be able to give the religious answer, but Aristotle has corrupted and me and left me in a state of doubt, heh. And I used to be the one getting threads locked around here about religion. I don't think that sort of stuff has happened once since Jet Mo was banned.

By the way, I was posting this to see everyone's opinion on this, I still have a direction in my life and am satisfied with the meaning I can find.

But, to be honest, I find it's more about making those around you happier and live better lives while carving the path for the rest of the world's next generation to follow.

Yeah Aristotle, put that crap down son. :-P

There are not atheists in foxholes. I always liked that line. And when my oldest son was born and I thought he was going to die, I was certain that my prayers were being heard. He got well in a hurry and I have been thankful everyday since.

:)

Well, it's nothing very special. Uh, try and be nice to people, avoid eating fat, read a good book every now and then, get some walking in, and try and live together in peace and harmony with people of all creeds and nations. And, finally, here are some completely gratuitous pictures of penises to annoy the censors and to hopefully spark some sort of controversy, which, it seems, the only way, these days, to get the jaded, video-sated public off their *****ing arses and back in the sodding cinema. Family entertainment, bollocks! What they want is filth! People doing things to each other with chainsaws during Tupperware parties. Babysitters being stabbed with knitting needles by gay presidential candidates. Vigilante groups strangling chickens, armed bands of theatre critics exterminating mutant goats… Where's the fun in pictures? Oh, well, there we are. Here's the theme music. Goodnight.

Who are you and what have you done with greengal?

Edit: Obviously, I've never seen the movie it comes from.. which is good because for a moment, I thought gg was flippin' out.

Yeah Aristotle, put that crap down son. :-P

There are not atheists in foxholes. I always liked that line. And when my oldest son was born and I thought he was going to die, I was certain that my prayers were being heard. He got well in a hurry and I have been thankful everyday since.

:)

I'd say I would be veering more towards agnosticism then atheism. I believe that there is some supernatural force out there (ie. the unmoved mover) and I'll pray to that when I need hope or whatever, but lately I've found it hard to follow the strict views of any organized religion's god, because I also feel that no human can possibly know so much of a god without putting themselves on the same level of said god, if there's a god. I still use the same moral codes and values taught to me by the religion I was essentially born into. So I don't know, it's complicated. There's one particular line I read that caught my attention from Aristotle, I'll try and find the exact quote. (Yeah, can't find it.)

I'm glad to hear that your son made it out fine--things like that truly bring someone to faith. My aunt had quite a few miscarriages (5 maybe?) before having her lone child. After that she became very religious.

In college calculus they taught us to find areas and volumes by slicing them up into tiny chunks and measuring all of them.

I think you can do the same with life.

95% of our time is spent "getting ready" "getting there" and "cleaning up". Days/Weeks can go by leaving you wondering...when did the "quality" happen?

I think if you slice up your day into tiny chunks, throwing out the fluff, you'll find that the real quality is the interaction -- good, bad, or mundane -- with loved ones. Simple conversations seem like nothing, even annoying, until a loved one is gone or passes on... then you'll wrack your brain trying to remember every one you can.

"Time to brush your teeth!" "Aim for the center so mom doesn't have to clean the floor!" "funny videos is on!" "Dad, you make Archie Bunker look liberal!".... try to capture interaction as it happens and enjoy every minute of it. It's easy to miss these moments. Woody Allen is known for saying "Life is what happens when you're doing other things". You have to keep your eyes open.

I have to go...I'm beat. But I have 3 little boys to read to, holler at, and put to bed. The best part of my day.

-j

Archived