Dwight Lowery Baby!!!!!!

SoFlaJets

New York Jets' cornerback Dwight Lowery may get start vs. Dolphins

Tuesday, August 26, 2008

BY DAVE HUTCHINSON

Star-Ledger Staff

As injured cornerback Justin Miller spent practice yesterday on the sidelines, rookie fourth-round pick Dwight Lowery continued his meteoric rise up the depth chart, replacing Miller in the starting lineup.

Lowery, who had 13 interceptions in two seasons at San Jose State, wasn't counted on this season. He slipped in the draft because of concerns about the competition he faced and his speed. He was viewed as a reserve/special teamer.

But Lowery, 5-11 and 201 pounds, has made up for his shortcomings with a total devotion to his craft, great football instincts, being physical and a maturity that belies his rookie status.

In three preseason games, Lowery has a team-high 17 tackles (14 solo), three passes defensed and an end-zone interception.

Miller (dislocated toe) will sit out of the preseason finale at Philadelphia. Although coach Eric Mangini said there's a "pretty good" chance he'll be ready for the opener in Miami, it wouldn't be surprising if Lowery starts.

Veterans David Barrett and Hank Poteat are also options.

"It's not daunting," Lowery said of a possible opening day start. "I think your teammates depend on you. Regardless of who is in there, they expect you to contribute as if no one ever went down.

"I think that's the biggest thing I place upon myself. I don't want to let my teammates down."

Against the Giants, Lowery went in with the first team on the second series and shared time with Miller until Miller got hurt in the second quarter. Lowery has played cornerback and the slot, covering the inside receiver.

"I feel pretty comfortable with the defense," he said. "I think that comes from understanding what the other guys are supposed to do too. You get to a certain point where you feel like you can anticipate what our coach is going to call."

QUICK HITS -- WR Laveranues Coles (leg) and DE Shaun Ellis (hand) were more active in the portion of practice open to the media yesterday. Neither will play vs. the Eagles. Both will be ready for the opener....

The Jets released RB Rodney Kinlaw and T Thaddeus Coleman, according to someone with knowledge of the moves, and must release two more players by today's 4 p.m. deadline to trim the roster to 75. Rutgers products, LB Brandon Renkart and/or S Ron Girault, appear to have survived....

Mangini attributed some of the Jets' woes running the football to the fact that they practice against a 3-4 scheme, but their last two games have been against 4-3 alignments and the blocking is totally different.

Even so, the Jets rushed for just 59 yards on 19 attempts (3.1-yard average) against Cleveland, which plays an identical defense. ...

Former special teams coach Mike Westhoff, who stepped down after last season for health reasons, may return in some capacity, perhaps as a consultant. ...

Today is the Jets' final full practice at Hofstra. They officially move to their new Florham Park facility on Sept. 2. ...

TRADE WINDS

Could veteran TE Bubba Franks or Chris Baker be on the way out?

The Jets are deep at the position with Franks, Baker, rookie Dustin Keller and fast-emerging third-year pro Jason Pociask. Plus, long snapper James Dearth is a tight end.

If the Jets keep them all, that's five tight ends on a 53-man roster.

The formerly disgruntled Baker is the Jets' best trade bait. Or they could release or trade Franks, who has been underwhelming. But Franks, of course, has the Brett Favre connection and has already received $800,000 of his $1.6 million base salary.

Okay I didn't want to say this so early in his career but I'm going to say it anyway:

Dwight Lowery reminds me of Aaron Glenn. I think he's going to be a good one.

Revis reminds me more of Aaron Glenn. Hell, sometimes I even think he looks like Glenn with his helmet on. Lowery reminds me of Mickens with size. Mickens overcame alot of physical limitations to become a stellar nickel back. He was a student of the game and used his extreme work ethic and superior football knowledge to make plays. I see alot of that in Lowery. While Lowery may not be the fastest guy, he seems to be very "football smart". He recognizes routes and puts himself in the proper position to defend them, overcoming his speed issues. I like the kid alot. Built like James Hasty with the mind and work ethic of Ray Mickens. That, to me, is a great combination.

Yeah, Lowerys and Rhodes' come in fourth rounds whereas Schlegels come in third rounds.

We shoud be looking to massively accumulate 4th rounders. We have our own and the Kendall pick so far. Possibly one of the other comp picks for Vilma or DROB (doubtful) will turn out to be a 4th rounder...

Taking keller over baker is a huge mistake. baker is a proven player who has hands of glue. Keller has had flashes of okness but nothinsg spectacular. his sudden rise is driven soley by the media and bakers off season fight with the front office.

And feet of cement. Baker is a decent all around TE but is really slow. I think Keller has huge upside to be a real threat with his speed. Just my opinion.

Yeah, Lowerys and Rhodes' come in fourth rounds whereas Schlegels come in third rounds.

We shoud be looking to massively accumulate 4th rounders. We have our own and the Kendall pick so far. Possibly one of the other comp picks for Vilma or DROB (doubtful) will turn out to be a 4th rounder...

Leon Washington too don't forget.

Lowery looks like a vet. His technique is outstanding and I suspect he is much faster than advertised. We could have two shutdown corners in the making.

His speed was clocked at the combines, with no pads. Im pretty sure everybody's speed changes with helmet and pads on.

I know im going to get criticized for this statement but what ive seen in preseason D. Lowery might become a better CB than Revis. Lowery is a baller. He might start opening day and im sure Lowery will get tested early but when he starts racking up on int's and breaking up passes, teams will know this kid can lock down his WR.

WE ARE going to have 2 shutdown corners

His speed was clocked at the combines, with no pads. Im pretty sure everybody's speed changes with helmet and pads on.

I know im going to get criticized for this statement but what ive seen in preseason D. Lowery might become a better CB than Revis. Lowery is a baller. He might start opening day and im sure Lowery will get tested early but when he starts racking up on int's and breaking up passes, teams will know this kid can lock down his WR.

I keep thinking back to Laveranues Coles and how fast HE was at the combine but how it didn't translate to football field speed because he used little choppy steps-Lowery is a fast enough football player from what I've seen

i haven't see enough footage to make a pick on Lowery's skill. If DMaynard says he has ball skills then i have to lean in that direction.

It would be an interesting day that people throw AT Revis just to stay away from our other CB. Strange day indeed.

Thats a good comparison. a 10th of a second is big time if the sport was track and field but not football. Did you notice how D Lowery was on the sidelines on final preseason game instead of learning . That means the JETS already know what they have in Lowery ( shutdown CB). J. Miller is gonna have to do something spectacular if he thinks he can start over Lowery.

Chad is gonna test Lowery early in week 1 because he's a rookie and Lowery should get a pick because Lowery is a baller, Youll see remember my prediction. lol.

Thats a good comparison. a 10th of a second is big time if the sport was track and field but not football. Did you notice how D Lowery was on the sidelines on final preseason game instead of learning . That means the JETS already know what they have in Lowery ( shutdown CB). J. Miller is gonna have to do something spectacular if he thinks he can start over Lowery.

Chad is gonna test Lowery early in week 1 because he's a rookie and Lowery should get a pick because Lowery is a baller, Youll see remember my prediction. lol.

I've already predicted him with a pick 6 on opening day Tony

First year watching the Jets SFJ? You know damn well the pick six will come in the forth quarter with Penny at the helms.

:shake:

oh I thought he was asking about the FIRST pick 6 MD, we all know he's picking Noodle off again in the 4th

remember Erik Coleman's first month in the NFL? I thought he was gonna be a player...I even used his pic as an avatar for a while back then

Remember Erik McMillan's first couple of years? I thought he was going to be a great one. It's funny how some players just fizzle out.

Remember Erik McMillan's first couple of years? I thought he was going to be a great one. It's funny how some players just fizzle out.

this kid looks like the real deal to me DM-we've been watching this game since the late 60's and have seen a LOT of guys come and go and some players you just KNOW are the real deal...he just moves right on the field

Archived