Did Revis and Harris Make The Jets Go After Brett Favre?

kelticwizard

Sounds odd, but follow the reasoning.

The Jets were coming off a 4-12 season. True they were 10-6 the year before, but that didn't make it better. They had a rising star in Kerry Rhodes, and drafted Revis and Harris to add defensive strength.

Both were somewhat lackluster early in the year, in fact Revis was getting picked on somewhat. But the second half of the year they both came on like gangbusters, drawing raves from commentators and analysts alike. Revis, for instance, just blanketed Randy Moss in the second Patriots game.

With those two moving up in the direction of stardom so soon and the Jets' offseason moves, they elevated themselves from a position of hoping for respectability this year to a position where people think they can make some real noise. Which might have inspired the Jets to go after Brett Favre.

Lets face it, Favre is here for one year, perhaps two if he thinks the team is ready for a SuperBowl. To make the deal worth it, the Jets have to win now with him. If Revis and Harris don't become stalwarts so soon-if they just go through the normal process of looking promising the first year, somewhat improved the second, and finally good the third-the Jets would not be an outside shot for the SuperBowl this year and probably a good shot in 2009. Which means there is no reason for the front office to go after Favre-or any reason for Favre to come here.

Did the great play of Revis and Harris as rookies make the team go for Brett Favre when he was available?

I doubt it, GB receiving a *possible* 1st round pick did the trick IMO.

i think the fact that the Pats and Giants had more to do with it.

I'm not saying Harris and Revis had anything at all to do with Favre becoming available in the first place.

I'm saying Revis' and Harris' unexpectedly strong play in their first year moved the Jets ahead to the point where getting Favre made sense for the Jets. If they had played like normal rookies-even first and second round rookies-the Jets would figure that they had no chance for the SuperBowl in 2008, so why get Favre?

Id pay the last pick in the 1st for a SB. That's just me :)

It would go down as the best trade in JETS history! :)

I'd say the two biggest contributors were Chad Pennington and Kellen Clemens, but that's just me.

Agreed neither QB gave Tangini the confidence to "Dream Big" combined with the need to sell the PSLs made the Farve solution almost too good a deal to pass.

It would go down as the best trade in JETS history! :)

Agreed neither QB gave Tangini the confidence to "Dream Big" combined with the need to sell the PSLs made the Farve solution almost too good a deal to pass.

I wish we'd stop equating the Favre pickup with the PSLs. They have nothing to do with one another. You'll never convince me otherwise.

It also gave them a good enough reason to cut Chad, otherwise he'd be here until 2012 and we would still be stuck in mediocrity for the foreseeable future. Now when Favre really retires, we'll have more flexibility to do what we want with the QB position, and we won't have an established but average and declining QB in Chad there keeping us from fully handing the team over to the next guy.

It also gave them a good enough reason to cut Chad, otherwise he'd be here until 2012 and we would still be stuck in mediocrity for the foreseeable future. Now when Favre really retires, we'll have more flexibility to do what we want with the QB position, and we won't have an established but average and declining QB in Chad there keeping us from fully handing the team over to the next guy.

It wouldn't have been so hard if the next guy wasn't playing like ****.

Archived